BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
We don't really go by weight as much as antler measurements.

..due to hunting a lot for meat only, we hunt a lot of doe days.

Kind of hard to get antler measurements from a doe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is my dumb question of the day...how do you y'all know the weight of the deer you shoot? I have shot two and I never knew how heavy they were.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is my dumb question of the day...how do you y'all know the weight of the deer you shoot? I have shot two and I never knew how heavy they were.

Game scale.

How much does one run?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Our camp rules are simple as well.
If  kill a buck, it goes on your wall or  you pay the equivilent in taxidermy  fees to the club.  
$400 or so for a 110 class buck makes you look real hard before pulling the trigger.  
The exceptions are the first buck in your life and your  first  buck with  bow.
Kill all the doe you want and need for meat.

Now those are rules I LIKE.
I wish everyone had that type of rule........it would damned sure end the "I got to kill a buck, even if it's a spike" mentality.

Amen
krpind, I don't plug verything I see.  I've only killed one buck in two years, and he was a 175 pound 8 pointer with a 17" inside spread.  I don't shoot buck unless I plan to mount them, or they are injured or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We don't really go by weight as much as antler measurements.

..due to hunting a lot for meat only, we hunt a lot of doe days.

Kind of hard to get antler measurements from a doe.

j/k.....I have to agree.............dammit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If  kill a buck, it goes on your wall or  you pay the equivilent in taxidermy  fees to the club.  

$400 or so for a 110 class buck makes you look real hard before pulling the trigger.  

I wish everyone had that type of rule........it would damned sure end the "I got to kill a buck, even if it's a spike" mentality.

I was on a lease in South Texas where each member had to account for 5 doe before he could shoot his second buck. We had a "game management plan", and they wanted doe taken.
Members would bring children, neighbors, wives, and idiot employees just to shoot doe.
Some were so small the standing joke was "He shot two, but one blew out of the back of the pickup on the way back."
Needless to say, I'm not there any more.

Nice buck, Beetle. I got my son a Model 7 in 7mm/08 and he's been killing deer since he was 11 with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't plug verything I see.  I've only killed one buck in two years, and he was a 175 pound 8 pointer with a 17" inside spread.  I don't shoot buck unless I plan to mount them, or they are injured or something like that.

You can hunt with me anytime.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice deer and great shot placement,some of these posters think only a long shot is a good shot!!!

It's just the opposite sit for,stalk or cross trail for the closest shot you can get,the guy that shoots that 400 yard shot across the valley on that big elk is because thats as close as he could get!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a lovely buck.  Hope you both had fun!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
man, you guys have small deer

and where is your coat, you must be freezing your ass off
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ALABAMA?!
Weather patterns form differently according the area you're in.  And that wildlife tend to adapt to those conditions, thus in a colder climate the deer grow larger so they can survive the winter.

Alabama is 430 miles Southwest of Pennsylvania.  Your PA bucks would be quite frail layed next to a Saskatchewan or Alberta buck.  The Florida Key deer seldom weigh more than 80 pounds, while the largest whitetail deer on record is 511 pounds.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How'd you guys get that buck to sit still?

Duh! Are you blind?!  He has him at gunpoint!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ALABAMA?!
Weather patterns form differently according the area you're in.  And that wildlife tend to adapt to those conditions, thus in a colder climate the deer grow larger so they can survive the winter.

Alabama is 430 miles Southwest of Pennsylvania.  Your PA bucks would be quite frail layed next to a Saskatchewan or Alberta buck.  The Florida Key deer seldom weigh more than 80 pounds, while the largest whitetail deer on record is 511 pounds.

www.safariclub.org/images/db/static/northamericamap.jpg

I was kidding  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

All of mine have been well over 300lbs.  I never use a scale.

It is amazing how "big" those wild hog stories here in Texas are until you put them on a scale.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How'd you guys get that buck to sit still?

the red paintball to his side stunned him
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is also the FACT if you kill them when they are young they will NEVER be mature.

On one of the farms I hunt, the hunting camp rules are simple:

If you harvest a deer that dresses at less than 90lbs, you owe the camp one bottle of whiskey and one case of beer.

Just so you know, 110-120lbs dressed is about the average size around that "farm" area in the mountains of Virginia -- so 90lbs would be REALLY small.

Funny how the weight differs from one area to another.  Down here if you shoot a doe that dresses more than 105 you have shot a huge doe.  The biggest I have seen dressed at 115.  Most go for 95, though the high average you experience is probably the reward for good herd management.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Problem in Alabama is this though. We have TOO many deer. The bucks and doe population outweigh what needs to be vs. what is actually harvested.

I agree, I probably would have passed the buck up too, but we don't have Texas sized deer in Alabama. I have hunted in Texas before.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Problem in Alabama is this though. We have TOO many deer. The bucks and doe population outweigh what needs to be vs. what is actually harvested.

I agree, I probably would have passed the buck up too, but we don't have Texas sized deer in Alabama. I have hunted in Texas before.

We have the opposite problem in NH:  not enough deer and they don't come easy.  You can only doe shoot does during the first 3 days of muzzleloader and the first 2 days of regular rifle.  The buck to doe ratio is eavenly balanced and the doe are protected for fear of harming the population.  Yes, I'm sure that a lot of hunters have the whole machismo 'I've got to get a big buck', but that's not true for everyone or even most.

I held out for a buck this year.  The first day of muzzleloader a beautiful fat doe came right past my stand and ate some acorns.  It would have been the easiest shot I ever took but I had promised myself not to shoot a doe to help preserve the population.  I ended up shooting a nice 9 point, 183 lb. buck.  It was a fantastic hunt but I would be just as happy shooting two 65 lb. does if it helped keep the herd in check as in some overpopulated states.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top