User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good movie. Really long though. I think they could have developed the characters better. Movie was 2.5 hour long and I didn't realize Carroll Shelby was married.

It inspired me to come home and tear into the Mustangs differential... Made a mess but got it fixed
View Quote
To be fair, neither did he.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand why it was done this way or else the car would have been the star of the movie but it's nearly a McGuffin . The thing just magically appears out of nowhere with zero mention of what it actually was. I mean,I understand the sore spot of admitting that it really was just a Lola with a Ford motor but c'mon,nobody has a problem understand what a Shelby Cobra actually is.

The actual story is so good I don't understand the need to change history but that's Hollywood ???????
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
the most fascinating part of the movie was Ken Miles explaining to Carroll Shelby why the suits at Ford hate people like Miles and Shelby.  I leaned over to my son, told him "that's Corporate America in a nutshell."
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the most fascinating part of the movie was Ken Miles explaining to Carroll Shelby why the suits at Ford hate people like Miles and Shelby.  I leaned over to my son, told him "that's Corporate America in a nutshell."
View Quote
I haven’t seen it yet; I’m going tomorrow.  But for my money, it’s going to be hard to beat Shelby’s line to HF2: “Well, sir, we’re lighter, we’re faster. And if that don’t work, we’re nastier.”  Whew, my kinda guy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Came to post this... since you beat me to it:
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I haven’t seen it yet; I’m going tomorrow.  But for my money, it’s going to be hard to beat Shelby’s line to HF2: “Well, sir, we’re lighter, we’re faster. And if that don’t work, we’re nastier.”  Whew, my kinda guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the trailer lied to you.  Shelby does use that line, but not on The Deuce.  Frankly, his speech to The Deuce is even better.

Since you like GT40s, you're gonna like this movie.  It was my favorite car, probably still is.  I'd slightly rather have a Daytona Coupe replicar than a GT40 replicar -- unless it was an actual Ford GT from the 2000s.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

It's Hollywood, and having lived my early years while it was all going on, then looking back restrospectively with a lot more information, I'm afraid they are going to eff it up some. But it can't be as stupid as Burns doing Vietnam, so, meh. When it comes around.

The story is a great framework to tell of the immense technical advances of the 60's - GT and Indy were the dominant forms of racing, with Ferrari making small high rpm motors in luxury sports cars dominant on their turf, and Indy being largely supercharged Offy four cylinder and FRONT WHEEL DRIVE racers, driver sitting almost on the back axle.

From there we went to Ferrari motors in open wheel mid  engines and the GT's to 427 TRUCK motors midengine. Shelby and the Cobras were a major step up, an exciting story, but a step to getting Carroll to running the GT program.

In point of fact, it took the Daytona Coupe to get there, and in testing the GT's at Rheims they used the coupe from LA as the rabbit to stress them out. And they ran it without major repairs while the GT's broke down - normal sorting out, Shelby's first races in the Cobras had plenty of it. By the time the Coupe was bodied the drivetrain had years of racing in it, so when it fired up, it was ready to run with little issues. Other than the back inboard discs. That was part of a major fire at Daytona.

Sorting the GT's at Rheims led to the Italians contracted to body the other Coupes to be delayed, they took off building the first sans any blueprints and the result was the second being kinda larger, which Dan Gurney got as he fit it better. His USAC crew having talent in depth made it a winner even tho the aero was slighty diminished.

That season as the hand drawn hand hammered Coupe on the old 50s transverse spring front end winning against Ferrari with just the advantage of another 1,000 cc's of engine - not even overhead cam - is the turning point from old school tech to the new school rapidly coming to the field. The 427 GT's were actually the last dying gasp of conventional motors being capable of winning a Championship. We are talking a truck motor run on a dyno simulating 24 hours of LeMans, breaking, getting improved parts, until it could survive, mostly, under real racing loads. Up to then a computer aided dyno run in testing, and the cad cam GT chassis and aero were unknown.

Mixed blessings if you consider it. The modern car now has tech that designers were only dreaming about. The wife's Buick is direct injection with variable cam timing. They made a turbo version. Nothing like that existed in the 60's.
View Quote
So much to sort out:

Yes there were SOME front wheel drive Indy cars, but the majority were RWD.  Most were some version of the Offy or derivative, but there were others, like the Novi.

The 427 was NOT a "truck motor", but rather a development of the Ford FE engine line intended for NASCAR racing.  Homologation requirements meant that some had to be built and sold ini cars available to the public.

The Hemi 428 wasn't a "truck engine" either, and powered the first vehicle to break 200 MPH on a closed course.  That vehicle was originally a press car to promote the Dodge Charger 500 when it was stolen and stripped while on the press junket.  When the remains were found, Chrysler let engineering use it in the development of a slicker car to compete with the Ford Talledega and Mercury Cyclone Spoiler aero cars.  It became the high-speed test car and eventually raced in Nascar.

Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The real reason I'm interested is that the plot keeps the mystery alive: I can't figure out how they manage to save Matt Damon from space in a 1960s sports car.
View Quote
There's only ONE sports car man-rated for space flight and re-entry ....

Link Posted: 11/18/2019 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the trailer lied to you.  Shelby does use that line, but not on The Deuce.  Frankly, his speech to The Deuce is even better.

Since you like GT40s, you're gonna like this movie.  It was my favorite car, probably still is.  I'd slightly rather have a Daytona Coupe replicar than a GT40 replicar -- unless it was an actual Ford GT from the 2000s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Coupe and the 4.2 E-Jag are tied for second place on my list of unobtainable automobiles.  To tell the truth though, I’m more of a boat person.  If I had the money to piss away on either of those two cars, I’d probably spend it on a restored Chris Craft runabout.  And when it comes to antique go-fasters, classic hydroplanes are my true lust.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Coupe and the 4.2 E-Jag are tied for second place on my list of unobtainable automobiles.  To tell the truth though, I’m more of a boat person.  If I had the money to piss away on either of those two cars, I’d probably spend it on a restored Chris Craft runabout.  And when it comes to antique go-fasters, classic hydroplanes are my true lust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The XK-E is one of my most favorite cars, and not because of how it looked, although it is incredibly sexy.  No, it was that 4.2.  Good God, the sound.  Audible ecstasy.

He's also right.  The scene with Ford II after they get beat in 65 is also really good.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The XK-E is one of my most favorite cars, and not because of how it looked, although it is incredibly sexy.  No, it was that 4.2.  Good God, the sound.  Audible ecstasy.

He's also right.  The scene with Ford II after they get beat in 65 is also really good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

apologies if I already posted this:

That scene with Ford II after they get beat in 65, when Shelby ends with ".... You're welcome!" some older guy in the audience, who remembered what a character CS was, laughed out loud and said to his wife, "THAT was Carroll Shelby!"
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I really enjoyed this movie, but it made me miss my dad.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The movie reminded me of the amazing time I had in Colarado- the Shelby museum in Boulder is incredible. This brown car should look familiar for those who saw the movie. Not sure if the blue and white one in my photo is THE car or not.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394919/20190518_121447_jpg-1164875.JPG
View Quote
Thanks for posting this, I didn't know there was a Shelby museum. I'll go the next time I'm in Boulder.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting this, I didn't know there was a Shelby museum. I'll go the next time I'm in Boulder.
View Quote
Shelby American museum. It's the best $5 I've ever spent.

Beautiful cars in there. Definitely go, it's a must.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like a decent movie about an interesting story, but I still don't get how conservative/freedom loving folks are still supporting the movie industry. I guess "muh-entertainments" trumps values for most folks these days. Not surprising I guess.

It doesn't seem to have any overt SJW overtones but the $$$ still goes to the people/studios who constantly push that shit.

If whatever percentage of the country that claims to be "conservative" stopped going to movies, the movie industry would either change or die (at which point not much of value would be lost), but until that happens, we're still going to get 99 lefty politically-driven shit movies trying to indoctrinate the sheeple for every decent film, like this appears to be.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#16]
You can watch this for free on a couple different streaming services

The 24 Hour War

In the early 1960s, Henry Ford II and Enzo Ferrari went to war on the battlefield of Le Mans. This epic battle saw drivers lose their lives, family dynasties nearly collapse and the development of a new race car that changed racing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It looks like a decent movie about an interesting story, but I still don't get how conservative/freedom loving folks are still supporting the movie industry. I guess "muh-entertainments" trumps values for most folks these days. Not surprising I guess.

It doesn't seem to have any overt SJW overtones but the $$$ still goes to the people/studios who constantly push that shit.

If whatever percentage of the country that claims to be "conservative" stopped going to movies, the movie industry would either change or die (at which point not much of value would be lost), but until that happens, we're still going to get 99 lefty politically-driven shit movies trying to indoctrinate the sheeple for every decent film, like this appears to be.
View Quote
I don’t pretend to be well educated or even well read but haven’t artists always been on that side?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
About that Chris Craft.

1967 Chris Craft 427 Super Sport.

Look that up on YouTube....Time Bandit's the name and it was for sale.

And there's only 6 still around.....
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hollywood buys me guns. Lots of guns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don’t pretend to be well educated or even well read but haven’t artists always been on that side?
View Quote
I have that perception as well that a majority of artists have always leaned "that way", or just basically been "weird". However, I think most people no longer realize that, or care.

There's the anecdote about actors during the Roman Empire being afforded social status slightly above lepers, and partly for that reason. I'm not sure as to the historical accuracy of that, but it sounds reasonable. Movie actors are modern day fools, professional liars who perform for our pleasure and they are not to be taken seriously. When they are, nothing good ever comes of it because they are a bunch of loons (generally speaking). The fact that these idiots have attained their exalted status simply because they are attractive and can lie convincingly, does bother me. YMMV.

They've gone from "leaning" towards anti-freedom/lefty ideals to "bludgeoning us over the head with them". If you want to pay for that, and to support that, well it is a free country. Just own the hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Where’s the member who was an extra in it?
View Quote
I drove by road atlanta a couple of times when it was being filmed, that count?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw it Saturday.  Well worth $10.

Bale should win an Oscar.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]
It's the best movie I have seen in many years, and we see a lot of movies. I'm going to see it a second time, I liked it that much.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think if you don't go to any movies at all you lose any and all consumer leverage you have with the movie industry.  Go to movies you like and that support your values, don't go to movies that don't.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I really enjoyed this movie, but it made me miss my dad.
View Quote
Me too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Saw the movie.   Excellent movie.

Leaving Charlie's Angels in the dust.

The way it should.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:50:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The way it should.
View Quote
Should never even be compared
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way it should.
Agreed.  Voting with my wallet.  It is important to teach Hollywood "Get Woke, Go Broke."
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top