Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 7:19:08 PM EDT
So. I want to get an LED flashlight to slow down my CR123A consumption. I noticed surefire now makes a drop in lamp for my G2 (HERE). It would cost about $46 shipped.

Alternatively I could get a Fenix P2D light for $52 shipped, and have a dedicated, smaller, carry type light. (HERE)

Can get the bulb, or spend $6 more for a smaller, brighter flashlight for EDC.
What say the hive mind?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
How old is the G2 you have?

I put the DX drop ins in all mine and have been very pleased. They have worked well for me, give a lot of light and are inexpensive. The only thing is there are (at least) two variants of the G2, which take different size drop in modules.

My few-year-old G2 accepted the 6090 module, while newer G2s I purchased within the last year would not work with the 6090, but the 1447 was a perfect fit.  If in doubt the 1447 will work in either, just that on the old one the bezel would not quite screw down all the way.

While you're ordering you can get some rechargeable cells and charger and really cut down on your battery consumption .  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a G2 as my duty light. It's served me well but I'm looking to get a new light.

These Fenix lights - I'm not familiar with them. School me on them!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
MagLites, bitches.  I own one surefire, and it was a safety award.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not convinced that the G2 LED drop-ins are reliable during extended, continuous operation. Running a Cree (or similar) LED at 3+ watts produces considerable heat - a good flashlight is designed from the ground up to carry a lot of that heat to a solid chunk of aluminum casing for dissipation. (This may explain why the Surefire drop-in is limited to 80 lumens maximum output).

The Fenix P2 has several dimmer brightness settings (having a low-brightness setting with ultra-long battery life is a VERY useful feature), and has fully regulated brightness at ALL brightness settings - maintains constant brightness right down to the point where the batteries die. The Surefire just claims to produce "usable" amounts of light for the rated run-time.

Suggestion: Get the Fenix, and get a cheap LED drop-in for the Surefire from Deal Extreme or similar. You'll end up with 2 VERY bright lights - and if the cheap drop-in LED fails in the Surefire, you can still revert to the original incandescent bulb.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
i got a $10 LED upgrade for my G2...couldnt be happier
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
As a destroyer of tools in general, 2 flashlights are always better than one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm happy with my fenix
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Other

Pentagon K2
Pentagon EX2 mounted on VLTOR CK flashlight ring
Pentagon UX200 universal weapon light kit
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a drop in conversion on a G2 Nitrolon. It lives on an AR surefire mount. It has stood up to a lot of rounds downrange and still works fine. It's also a good illuminator and seems to do as good a job as the white LED light on my Streamlight TLR-2 (which I also like a lot).

I have another G2 which came as an LED model from the beginning. That G2 LED also lives on an AR and has also withstood a lot of pounding.

Maybe the Fenix might be a nice belt flashlight. I'm not sure the Fenix would be usable as a weapon light. I've had a few "high tech miracle flashlights" made in China. a couple have worked out, most died early deaths and went into the trash can.

If it's just to be used as a belt flashlight Fenix might be ok. However I have learned that focus of the flashlight beam is as important as lumens. I have a 120 lumen white LED flashlight which has a broader beam than my G2 LED, and even if it produces 50% more lumens, the G2 makes a hotter, brighter, whiter beam. This is important for a weapon light or a tactical light, in which the tighter beam has a better dazzle effect on your opponent.

I have never tried the Fenix. but I know the G2 LED is capable of tactical-dazzle use. BTW there is also a G2Z model shaped for using the "Surefire Method" for using a tactical light with handgun.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go with the fenix as well, best bang for the buck.

But, if you want the best bang made (IMO) for a lot more buck, I would get one of these.

Novatac

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought half a dozen CREE drop-in bulbs from Deal Extreme for my Surefires, then bought a Fenix P2D.  The P2D has 5 functions, which is cool, but has a click-on/click-off tailcap, instead of a deadman switch, which I prefer.  Hard to beat the combination of size/weight/price though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would go with the fenix as well, best bang for the buck.

But, if you want the best bang made (IMO) for a lot more buck, I would get one of these.

Novatac

I would prefer to get one of those but the price is an issue, so I can;t for the moment. The Nova Tac's seem really awesome though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So. I want to get an LED flashlight to slow down my CR123A consumption. I noticed surefire now makes a drop in lamp for my G2 (HERE). It would cost about $46 shipped.

Alternatively I could get a Fenix P2D light for $52 shipped, and have a dedicated, smaller, carry type light. (HERE)

Can get the bulb, or spend $6 more for a smaller, brighter flashlight for EDC.
What say the hive mind?

Dude, I wouldn't spend $52 on a SF LED unless it put out at least 200 lumens - like the $12 one I got of Dealextreme for $12 shipped.  You can't beat the Cree.  Surefire is still selling obsolete crap - especially if you're buying off the shelf stuff.

The drop in for the G2 I got off Dealextreme was equal to or better than my SF original 6P with the 200 lumen incan. lamp.  (I  bought one for my dad's G2 also.  The pure white light is great for trailing deer blood).

After having upgraded my G2's to Dealextreme Crees, I have no remorse for eBaying my incan. Surefire E2D.  Truely an end of an era.

www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6090
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a SureFire L1 Cree and never look back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Fenix would be my choice.

I don't use my P2D very often because I find my L1T works so well.  Rechargable NiMH batteries are nice!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have a Fenix P2D, and I think it's the last flashlight I will ever need to own.  I keep it on my belt in the sheath all the time.  Fits the palm of the hand, uses 1 CR123 battery which seems to last forever.  Most of the time I leave it in the power saver mode for walking through the house or around the home at night.  The higher power with a tap of the tail switch is great.  Then there's TURBO MODE.  More light than you could need, you can light up low-flying aircraft with it.  It's unreal how much power it has in such a compact package.  Very high quality materials used throughout.

Really, go for it.  You will never regret it.  I have been a flashlight addict for years, and the Fenix P2D is irreplaceable.

EDITED TO ADD:  Don't bother with the Surefire.  Once you get the Fenix you will forget the G2, or give it away.

Everything he just said.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
Suggestion: Get the Fenix, and get a cheap LED drop-in for the Surefire from Deal Extreme or similar. You'll end up with 2 VERY bright lights - and if the cheap drop-in LED fails in the Surefire, you can still revert to the original incandescent bulb.

Logical.Fenix from fenixstore will arrive quickly.DX can take a LONG time.

P2D
L2D
L1T rb80
owner
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#20]
P3D. the P2D is just too small for me to handle in my hands

i have two G2's with the Cree Q5 dropins, one with a strike bezel. I dont even carry them unless i think i am headed somewhere i think i may have confrontation. its too friggin bright for indoor use and doesnt do much except light stuff up excessively bright, or light up stuff very far away

the P3D is just so much more useful, you have different levels of output for different roles.

if you think im wrong, try doing your daily tasks wtih 225 lumens out of the modded G2s. sounds cool on paper yes. blinds the shit out of you and is annoying as hell in person. yes the P3D will spit out crazy bright light too, but it can also tone itself down for reading a map, finding something you dropped, and other daily tasks
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Surefire L1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top