Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2012 3:21:39 PM EDT
Alright, I need to start saving for shit seeing as how I am soon to be done with college and (hopefully) have a job.

In addition to moving out I want a new handgun, and keep lusting after the fiveseven.

Pros:
It is accurate.
It is pretty neat looking.
It fires a freakin fast cartridge.
Probably soon to be on a ban list.
I am a Splinter Cell junkie.

Cons:
Costs a fuckton both in ammo and gun.
Iffy ballistic performance.
Heard it is difficult to suppress.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck it, why not?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

Before I go for it I would probably get a G26 or compact 1911 for carry.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

There you go.  Maybe a G19?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

I am pretty porky (trying to get that under control)...my healthy weight is 180 something at 6'0".

Would a G19 conceal?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

Didn't know about not having a gun for that purpose.
Yeah, do the baby Glock or 1911 thing first.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine...  See av.  The ammo isn't that much more expensive than 45acp.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
The wounds I saw on one of the guys Hassan shot at Ft. Hood were pretty devistating. Velocity is a motherfucker.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

I am pretty porky (trying to get that under control)...my healthy weight is 180 something at 6'0".

Would a G19 conceal?

Sure you can, you just can't run around in spandex
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, but you might want to take a hard look at your Pro/Con comparison and ask yourself if there isn't something you need/want worse.  I want one too, but when I take an honest look at it, I always find something that's a higher priority.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you're able to find it.  I'm having a tough time feeding mine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]

I was wondering how long that would take to show up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal is now supplying ammo.

That will be good in case the dems decide it shouldn't be imported.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

Would a G19 conceal?

Yes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#17]
FiveSeveN is gay.

You ever see the deluded goofballs in the tech forums swearing up and down that slanted tests from Elite Ammo (who can hardly keep their machines running or avoiding the ATF) are proof that they hold the ultimate hand cannon?  They are frothing at the mouth nuts insisting that they make special rounds that shoot through schools, martians, diesel engine blocks, dinosaurs, black holes, trains, dalmations, clouds, trees, squirrels, telephone books, etc, etc.  Some of it may get through some body armor, but after it does, it probably performs like a simunition.  Meaning that your SO will be asking why you have a bunch of little hickies all over your chest.

If you can't get "good" ammo at at least 2-3 stores within a 25-40 mile drive, fuck that shit.  EA can go blow the unicorns they pretend to sell to the public.

The gun itself is too light to hold on target under it's own trigger pull, it has a fucked up safety, and the sights of one variant are matched to one flavor of FN's ammo, while the other variant is matched to the other flavor of ammo.    Sometimes they blow up.  FN's customer service is run by a bunch of drunk eskimos who are taliban informants.  The ergonomics suck.  The sights suck.  The trigger sucks.  The finish sucks.  Fucking slide shell breaks.  And they are really ugly.  Go watch Hickok45 try to shoot one.  He can't hit jack shit with it.  

Get the Glock 19.  It is the single best "Do-all" gun in the history of man.  If you have money left over, get a Ruger 22/45 or a RIA 1911.

The balloon has gone up.  Where are the EA sackriders coming in here to play Capt. SaveAhoE about their geeky little FiveSeveN?  They travel at night, I can smell them, AHOY!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one, and I enjoy it.  However, if I had to cut down to just 3 handguns, it would be one of the ones to go.

So, if  you are just starting your arsenal, I would choose some thing else first.

They are a lot of fun to shoot, but to be honest, you would be better served by a more conventional semi-automatic pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

Get both.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I could have 100 handguns before I thought I needed a 5.7. You know why they are popular in video games? Because it's a fucking fairy tale and you don't have to find or buy ammo for it.

So the pros are that it is cool and might get banned.

The cons are that it would be expensive as shit to shoot and you can't find ammo in a lot of places.

What's not to like?

Get Glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, some wheel guns, .22s, etc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Federal is now supplying ammo.

That will be good in case the dems decide it shouldn't be imported.

I grabbed a couple hundred rounds of Federal after stumbling upon it at Gander Mtn.  Haven't tried it yet.

I'd love to find some <$20 per box.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
try 9mm +P or 45ACP in the platform of your choice.

If you really want to be poor, get a Bren Ten.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
try 9mm +P or 45ACP in the platform of your choice.

If you really want to be poor, get a Bren Ten.  

If you want to be poor and feel like you got a nice gun out of the deal, get a Colt Python.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#24]
If I didn't have a PS90 I'd probably be less likely to own mine, but I can shoot it pretty accurately.  I don't know what the guy above is talking about with the gun being too light compared to the trigger pull.  Mine has a pretty good trigger and the weight has never affected my accuracy.  The safety is a little weird though.  I have the adjustable sight model so the post about it being calibrated to a specific round is nonsense.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine is fun.  I have gotten decent hits on an 8x10 steel gong at 200 yards, standing two hand grip.  Fun gun, and you should get it to play with.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Compare ballistics with 22wmr.  Then get a PMR 30.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alright, I need to start saving for shit seeing as how I am soon to be done with college and (hopefully) have a job.

In addition to moving out I want a new handgun, and keep lusting after the fiveseven.

Pros:
It is accurate. So are a bunch of other guns in normal calibers.
It is pretty neat looking. Not going to argue as this is a purely subjective point.
It fires a freakin fast cartridge. Indeed. This, by itself, is largely irrelevant.
Probably soon to be on a ban list. Hope not. If so, don't count on it being "grandfathered."
I am a Splinter Cell junkie. Again, totally subjective.

Cons:
Costs a fuckton both in ammo and gun. The gun is unreasonably expensive, imo. The ammo is, too.
Iffy ballistic performance. Indeed. Unless you have access to the "special" ammo and need to defeat soft body armor or engage targets at relatively long range with a pistol. The ballistic performance, however, is irrelevant if you might purchase this thing based on Splinter Cell junkiness.
Heard it is difficult to suppress. This is largely because "it fires a freakin fast cartridge." Sonic booms make noise. A problem with any supersonic round.

Thoughts? In summary... If you're getting it because it fills a curio void in your psyche, go for it, when you can afford it (sounds like now is not the time). If you want to get it as a defensive weapon, other options in normal calibers make a lot more sense. All things considered, I say don't get it.

Don't get it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FiveSeveN is gay.

You ever see the deluded goofballs in the tech forums swearing up and down that slanted tests from Elite Ammo (who can hardly keep their machines running or avoiding the ATF) are proof that they hold the ultimate hand cannon?  They are frothing at the mouth nuts insisting that they make special rounds that shoot through schools, martians, diesel engine blocks, dinosaurs, black holes, trains, dalmations, clouds, trees, squirrels, telephone books, etc, etc.  Some of it may get through some body armor, but after it does, it probably performs like a simunition.  Meaning that your SO will be asking why you have a bunch of little hickies all over your chest.

If you can't get "good" ammo at at least 2-3 stores within a 25-40 mile drive, fuck that shit.  EA can go blow the unicorns they pretend to sell to the public.

The gun itself is too light to hold on target under it's own trigger pull, it has a fucked up safety, and the sights of one variant are matched to one flavor of FN's ammo, while the other variant is matched to the other flavor of ammo.    Sometimes they blow up.  FN's customer service is run by a bunch of drunk eskimos who are taliban informants.  The ergonomics suck.  The sights suck.  The trigger sucks.  The finish sucks.  Fucking slide shell breaks.  And they are really ugly.  Go watch Hickok45 try to shoot one.  He can't hit jack shit with it.  

Get the Glock 19.  It is the single best "Do-all" gun in the history of man.  If you have money left over, get a Ruger 22/45 or a RIA 1911.

The balloon has gone up.  Where are the EA sackriders coming in here to play Capt. SaveAhoE about their geeky little FiveSeveN?  They travel at night, I can smell them, AHOY!

Ironically I already have a 22/45 and a Springfield 1911.

I have shot a Fiveseven before and consistantly hit where I wanted at 50 yards with it...if it did not have that going for it I wouldn't even think of dropping the bank on it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So, if  you are just starting your arsenal, I would choose some thing else first.

I am 23 and have about as many guns as years on me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#30]

The Sig P226 was pretty much the worst handgun option in Splinter Cell, but IRL it's a kickass firearm. Don't buy a gun based on how it performed in a video game.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmm.. Well Nidal Hassan killed 13 people and wounded 29 others with the fiveseven and a s&w 357 during the Ft Hood shooting.

IMO it is probably a cursed gun now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hmm.. Well Nidal Hassan killed 13 people and wounded 29 others with the fiveseven and a s&w 357 during the Ft Hood shooting.

IMO it is probably a cursed gun now.

He could had done that with any gun.  It was shooting fish in a barrel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#33]
look at its ballistics.
they suck
also, you cant get the real ammo that pierces soft armor even....
so its a glorified 22LR

pass
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck it, why not?

Would a G19 conceal?

I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs. I've been wearing a Glock 19 for 7 years and never had a problem concealing it. I love it so much I had to buy another one. I own 5 handguns (Springfield 1911, Beretta, Walther, Glock) and it's my favorite.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
No.
Another useless cartridge looking for a solution to a non-existent problem.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:
It is pretty neat looking. Not going to argue as this is a purely subjective point.
It fires a freakin fast cartridge. Indeed. This, by itself, is largely irrelevant.
Probably soon to be on a ban list. Hope not. If so, don't count on it being "grandfathered."

Cons:
Costs a fuckton both in ammo and gun. The gun is unreasonably expensive, imo. The ammo is, too.
Iffy ballistic performance. Indeed. Unless you have access to the "special" ammo and need to defeat soft body armor or engage targets at relatively long range with a pistol. The ballistic performance, however, is irrelevant if you might purchase this thing based on Splinter Cell junkiness.
Heard it is difficult to suppress. This is largely because "it fires a freakin fast cartridge." Sonic booms make noise. A problem with any supersonic round.

Thoughts? In summary... If you're getting it because it fills a curio void in your psyche, go for it, when you can afford it (sounds like now is not the time). If you want to get it as a defensive weapon, other options in normal calibers make a lot more sense. All things considered, I say don't get it.

Don't get it.

My main point is actually the accuracy. Shoots like a .22 target pistol in my experiance.

Yes, it would be grandfathered. Look to the USAS and Striker 12s that were banned and grandfathered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pros:

Cons:

Don't get it.

My main point is actually the accuracy. Shoots like a .22 target pistol in my experiance.

Yes, it would be grandfathered. Look to the USAS and Striker 12s that were banned and grandfathered.

They are not getting banned.  Never will either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I carry one,

I can honesty say while I like it for CCW, I would most definitely NOT have it as my end of the world gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Buy a Marvel 22 conversion for your Springfield and save your cash.  Accurate as fuck and cheap ammo.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]
It could be a vital piece of your TEOTWAWKI equipment but only under certain ideal conditions such as:
No better firearm is avalible.
You also have the rifle and can consolidate ammo.
You can somehow afford to stockpile all the ammo you will ever need before the SHTF.
The only potential enemy you will face is close range rodents wearing Kevlar.

Otherwise its more of a range toy and conversation piece.

ETA- Kids were bothering me and my reply was a bit caustic. Bottomline is it's overpriced and has a limited window of practical usage, however these conditions have not always kept me from purchasing things I wanted in the past. If you want one and can afford it, buy it and have fun. You might look for a used one in good condition as I have seen a few for sale for a couple of hundred less than retail. Also if you dont reload you could probably save your spent cases and make a few bucks back selling the brass at gunshows.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am 23 and have about as many guns as years on me.

Sounds like you might be a good candidate to become a 5.7 owner.

When I was younger, I bought several non-traditional handguns.  I don't shoot them much any more, but I still enjoy owning them.  If you have the conventional guns already, branch out and try the odd and unusual.  The 5.7 may never be the best choice for any particuliar shooting activity, but it will never be the worst choice, either.

Not everything has to be perfectly functional to be enjoyable.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Compare ballistics with 22wmr.  Then get a PMR 30.

PMRs are fun but mine is not as well constructed or reliable as my FiveseveN.  Worth the $330 I paid but not what I see them going for on the boards.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#43]
I would say get one if you already have a fuck ton of other guns. It would not be up on my list if I didn't have all the other calibers covered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

also, you cant get the real ammo that pierces soft armor even....

Where did you get that info?  The LE/mil "restricted" ammo is readily available on the 'net.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Get it, OP. It's loads of fun to shoot, something different, and it's an interesting look at modern firearms technology.

He's mine:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Get it, OP. It's loads of fun to shoot, something different, and it's an interesting look at modern firearms technology.

He's mine:

Fun to shoot?  What kind of crazy reason is that to buy a gun?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#47]
How about a 1911 in 22 TCM?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's mine:

Fun to shoot?  What kind of crazy reason is that to buy a gun?  

I know, right?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's mine:

Fun to shoot? What kind of crazy reason is that to buy a gun?

I know, right?

When I went to sight mine in, I put a bipod on the rail.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#50]
.22 mag and just as expensive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top