Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2016 1:25:05 AM EDT
I've been shore fishing this season and it's getting old. I'd like to grab a Kayak, but am not sure what I should be looking for.

Fresh water. Slower water (Inlets and smaller lakes).

Budget would be about $500 give or take. Amazon would be preferable and I'd like to use two poles.

Any ideas would be great.  

Edt: I kinda like this style.

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Dolphin-Journey-Fishing-10-Feet/dp/B0088B508A/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1466486365&sr=1-4&keywords=fishing+kayak&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Dudeeeee

Fs12T from bass pro.

Nice yak for the price.

Im 6'2 225 I can load a full ice chest of beer, 4 rods, tackle box, day/night pack, phone, paddle, knives, and still stand and fish comfortably once I figured out that I had to widen my stance. Its pretty wide and comfortable to fish off of. Low profile doesn't cause it to be blown around in the wind. Seat is comfortable.

I put some pool noodle around the rear horizontal support bar that contacts the floor to lift me up just a bit higher/lock my seat in place.

check them out. floor is a little bendy at times when standing up but it aint gonna sink.

Around $600 I think.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I was actually thinking about posting this exact thread with that very kayak. I can get a pretty steep discount so I'm hoping to read good things

Tagged
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You are gonna want a nicer seat to keep yourself dry and comfortable. Trust me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
if only there was a outdoors section on here.......jeez just imagine if in the outdoors section there was a fishing boats sub section
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You definitely need one of these.

http://www.torpedobaitbuckets.com/

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Ocean Kayak-Frenzy seems well liked and is supposedly very stable. I wanted one but couldn't justify the expense. About $420.  I had the 8 foot sun dolphin journey angler and it felt quite unstable. I wouldn't recommend it. I actually enjoyed my time fishing on the lifetime lotus much more. A milk crate fits perfectly in the back and at 37 pounds and 8 feet long it is a breeze to transport. I got it for 200 but they go for 250 with a paddle. I will say it was a pretty slow kayak. Slow but stable.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are gonna want a nicer seat to keep yourself dry and comfortable. Trust me.
View Quote

Trust him.   He spake truth upon you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I know someone that is a part time competitive kayak fisherman.  Who would have thought that there was such a thing.  I check in with him to see what he uses.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Ascend brand boat come with nice, removable stadium seats.  Some in your price range.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]

I figured their will be a learning curve.

I'll grab this guy with the "boat", or something similar. Seems useful. I'd like to bobber or bottom fish with one and do some small casting at the same time.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know someone that is a part time competitive kayak fisherman.  Who would have thought that there was such a thing.  I check in with him to see what he uses.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're going to use an anchor you'll want a pulley system for positioning it relative to the kayak and wind/current.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Check out the Field and Stream Eagle Talon.  

Getting a lot of milage out of this pic:

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
if only there was a outdoors section on here.......jeez just imagine if in the outdoors section there was a fishing boats sub section
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wait.....GD isn't the only thing on ARFCOM? Son of a gun.  

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Subcanis/20150801_124248.jpg

I like that.

Is it top heavy at all??
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is one of the better bargains out there.  You can find it under $500 on sale at Dicks.

At the $500 price range you should consider used boats.  You'll get a lot more bang for your buck. I haven't sat in the Ascend series, but they look nice for the money.  

I wouldn't spend any money on the Sun Dolphin you posted.  It's not going to have the weight capacity for an adult man, his fishing gear, and beer/lunch.  Also, at 10', it's going to be very slow if you're fishing water of any size.  

Happy to answer any questions.  I've been into kayak fishing for the last 10 years, ranging from rapids to offshore and bay stuff.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dudeeeee

Fs12T from bass pro.

Nice yak for the price.

Im 6'2 225 I can load a full ice chest of beer, 4 rods, tackle box, day/night pack, phone, paddle, knives, and still stand and fish comfortably once I figured out that I had to widen my stance. Its pretty wide and comfortable to fish off of. Low profile doesn't cause it to be blown around in the wind. Seat is comfortable.

I put some pool noodle around the rear horizontal support bar that contacts the floor to lift me up just a bit higher/lock my seat in place.

check them out. floor is a little bendy at times when standing up but it aint gonna sink.

Around $600 I think.
View Quote

Get both!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Viking

/thread
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:44:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Viking

/thread
View Quote

Meh, plenty of equal or better boats out there such as the Wildy Thresher, Jackson Kraken, and others from Necky and Ocean Kayak.  Besides, if we're talking the offshore and salt game, we should open the door to Hobie and the Native Propel boats.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I can load a full ice chest of beer
View Quote

Sold!!  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm gonna hazard a guess that his preferred boat is well north of the $500 range.... Something along these lines, perhaps: Native Slayer 13 Propel

Echoing some posters above, I'd take a serious look at used boats in your price range. A Wilderness Systems Tarpon is great fishing boat, and can be found used for around $500 rather easily. Ocean Kayak, Perception, and Emotion also make a number of good entry-level boats, while Jackson, Native, and Hobie are the next step up.

Going used allows you to stick with the major kayak manufacturers, like those listed above. While it's certainly possible to find a decent "sporting goods brand" boat, more often than not you'll end up missing out on the design features that make a kayak a great fishing platform in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I just bought one today and it might be a little over your budget but believe me it will be worth it.

It's on sale for $699 at Dicks and it's called the Field & Stream Shadow Caster
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
https://youtu.be/LS9YDVryoc4

[youtube]https://youtu.be/LS9YDVryoc4[/youtube]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:52:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just bought one today and it might be a little over your budget but believe me it will be worth it.

View Quote

Lot's of similarities between that boat and the Feel Free Lure.  Looks like a decent boat.  I'll be there's a good chance they're even made in the same factory.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:53:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a used wilderness systems tarpon last year for $600.  I'm very happy with my purchase and have spent many hours on it this spring.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#25]
A friend of mine just won this at a raffle - Pelican Trailblazer 100 Kayak;

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31230566

Seems sturdy.
Maybe you can find somebody to price match Dicks since they don't deserve your money.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:02:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lot's of similarities between that boat and the Feel Free Lure.  Looks like a decent boat.  I'll be there's a good chance they're even made in the same factory.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are both manufactured by Joy Sports , same factory

I looked at the Feel Free Lure  11.5 but this thing was half the price .
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#27]
If you can stretch your budget a little (and can find one) I would look at the Vibe Sea Ghost. And, honestly it wouldn't stretch your budget that much because it comes with a paddle and some other accessories.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone ever use one of these powered ones?

I saw one at Cabelas on Memorial day marked down and though it was pretty cool. Not, whip out my credit card and drop a couple Gs cool, but cool.

http://bustedwallet.com/predator-xl-minn-kota-kayak-review/

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you can stretch your budget a little (and can find one) I would look at the Vibe Sea Ghost. And, honestly it wouldn't stretch your budget that much because it comes with a paddle and some other accessories.
View Quote

I almost pulled the trigger on an ascend fs12t. Ended up getting a 2015 leftover sea ghost 130 for 650 out the door. Hell of a deal for something that comes with a rudder.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone ever use one of these powered ones?

I saw one at Cabelas on Memorial day marked down and though it was pretty cool. Not, whip out my credit card and drop a couple Gs cool, but cool.

http://bustedwallet.com/predator-xl-minn-kota-kayak-review/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cf2qdF7WwAMNTGD.jpg
View Quote

I've contemplated getting some kind of power or the hobie pro angler with the pedals but i realized some areas that I'm gonna be frequenting for reds and bass tend to have so much grass I would probably be spending more time digging grass out than fishing. I might be living in FL for a few years soon so having a hobie pro angler then might be nice to fish with out past the surf zone. i might look into the one you posted as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#31]
The best part about the 8-10' yaks is they are light and easy to carry.  They suck on the water, 12' is a good start.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Obviously this is the way to go. $18 is way under budget

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Explorer-2-Person-Inflatable-French/dp/B000051ZHS

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I am not the most experienced guy out there, but let me throw in my $0.02.

These boats are out of the old Wilderness Tarpon 120 and 140 molds.  The Tarpon 140 was the benchmark for fishing yaks.  They don't have all the nice details as the Wilderness boats, but that can be added later.  

I have the 14 footer and it paddles very nicely.  IMHO, you won't find anything better in your price range.  

Tarpon 140 reviews.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1270

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perception-pescador-angler-12-sit-on-kayak

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perception-pescador-14-sit-on-kayak

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I just ordered a Shadow Caster. Great reviews on Youtube.

You can stand up in it to cast.

More than $500, it seems worth it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I like that.

Is it top heavy at all??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that.

Is it top heavy at all??

Not at all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Sit on top for fishing. 500 will get you into a Bass Pro brand model or a pelican model.

Personally I'd save up a few extra and look at Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayak, or Jackson Kayak,
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#37]
If you can find this one locally do it. I just bought one last week and I am thrilled. It is the best bang for your buck. $549. Its a rebranded wilderness systems, which used to sell for under 1k a few years back.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perception-pescador-angler-12-sit-on-kayak

or free shipping from these guys

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/20725/Perception-Pescador-120-Kayak.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%20ACK%20PLA&scid=scplp6153860&sc_intid=20725_18152_1&gclid=CKOijIz4uc0CFQEdaQodPykFZQ
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I used that very model this weekend (borrowed, trying to decide on one for me) ; that seat would have been a godsend, other than that it was great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I used that very model this weekend (borrowed, trying to decide on one for me) ; that seat would have been a godsend, other than that it was great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... the stock seat is torturous.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#40]
If you're in the market for a fishing kayak, I would buy a nicer used yak to fish in, it will do somethings the cheaper yaks wont.  

If you're strictly doing freshwater, and not doing anything inshore/tidal current/waves etc, would it be more impoundments or rivers?  I ask because of rocky bottoms etc, some of the manufacturers the hulls are thinner than others.

Also, Don't worry about rod holders, if it does not come with them, they are 6 or 7 dollars for flushmounts, or there are a number of differing options including rail systems/ball mounts http://www.yakattack.us/

As far as coolers/anchors most of us use some sort of a milk crate type setup, and depending on what your needs are it is easy and simple to customize for your yak and your uses.

Anchors...  Generally the trolleys we use are not as much for positioning (as being broad against wind and current vs fish is a bad thing) but its so you don't transfer all your weight in an odd direction and you are either facing in or away from current/wind etc and being able to fish off the other side.  Don't buy a grapple anchor like the ones pictured, they don't do much of anything well.  Mushrooms work well for river and anywhere with current buy one the 3.5lb PWC anchors, they work better and are cheaper than "kayak" specific anchors.

Strictly freshwater I would look into something like a Jackson CUDA in the 12ft range, the WS Ride 135 or even 115.  Both are VERY stable and easy to fish off, but are a little slower and not as easy to paddle as some of the more inshore specific yaks, but again offer stability and weight capacity (gear/bev's).

If you have any questions i'd be happy to help.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

His response was (and I don't know anything about these boats):

I have a Hobie Outback with the mirage drive which is rather spend. I also have Ocean Kayak Trident 13 which is not as spendy.

Depending on what body of water you plan on fishing any SOT (sit on top) kayak probably would work fine unless you plan on going into the ocean.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I ended up buying this one

I am 6'2" and about 250 and it is very stable and comfortable. I have a friend who has the angler model which includes an anchor, anchor trolley, and an extra rod holder. I see you are in Wisconsin so maybe you are near one to take a peak at them.

If you are near a Menards they have their Viper kayaks on sale for 189.99 with the 11% rebate right now which brings the price to below 170 plus tax. Borrowed one once before I bought mine and they are super stable but do tend to "plow" through the water a little more than my Perception. This one would take a little modification for fishing but with such a cheap starting point it might be a good way to see if you want to stay with kayaking. Here is the link
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#43]
The hobies will run you around 2k.  Essentially a john boat!

Most of my kayak fishing buddies are prostaff for the major manufacturers for the East Coast (WS, Hobie, OK).  They all obviously like their own yaks, but imo all have their strengths vs weaknesses.

Hobies, great for trolling or sight fishing open water, bad, very expensive for a plastic boat, heavy, and the drive systems can and do fail (bottom debris as well as components), and that yak is no fun to actually have to paddle

WS, depending on models, thicker hulls (other than hobie) they are fast nice boats (esp newer year models) and have nice seats, some are not as stable as the competition, the ride series being the exception.

OK makes the yaks I've finally settled on after having owned a lot of them including the first specific fishing yaks, I am partial to them, but also because of the fishing i do being mostly open ocean and bay, and for that type fishing the Trident Series of the Prowler 13 is for my personal needs the go to.  They make a number of differing models to choose from.

DO NOT buy a sit in to fish out of.  And it's a pita in general as its tough to keep clean fishing, dry, store things in, and of course the bugs you find after you get in it.  We all use SOT's fishing wise.

Also, in my first post, I forgot to ask if you plan on fishing narrow creeks at all.  Some of the larger yaks are a real pita to turn inside narrow areas.

Depending on the type of yak you choose, and upgraded seat may be in your future as well, but for the time being, one of those neoprene seat cushions shoved under the yak seat makes a world of difference.  You're gonna get a little wet, don't fight it.  Even if you're fishing flatwater, water dripping off your paddle will get things wet.

*** Buy a nice paddle, there is nothing that will make you enjoy kayak fishing more than a reasonable paddle, at least a carbon shaft.  You can get them 150ish from aquabound, athough of course you can buy werners that considerably more, but imo ive found it to be diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I'll bite... I've heard mention of paddles a couple times now.  What makes the carbon ones so much nicer?  Ive been using an aluminum one that I bought with my boat last year and it serves its purpose.  What are the benefits of upgrading?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'll bite... I've heard mention of paddles a couple times now.  What makes the carbon ones so much nicer?  Ive been using an aluminum one that I bought with my boat last year and it serves its purpose.  What are the benefits of upgrading?
View Quote

I guess there's no real great way of explaining it other than weight savings and that it doesn't get as cold etc.  And I'll admit it seems trivial the weight differential but can sometimes be a pound or more, but makes a world of difference paddling with it.  One of my buddies is prostaff for werner, and while their paddles are very nice, I can't justify spending the money for it, especially the carbon blades (I'm worried about cracking it pushing off pilings, rockets etc).   The only time I could see it making a difference is for touring where you'd want a bent shaft and angled blades to cut wind.  I just did a quick google and this is one of the ones I bought as a spare, but does a perfectly fine job, at a reasonable cost.  Weight in the yak is always a killer, kind of like when people talk about speed in a yak, its not really per say the same thing, but a lb extra and the extra energy spent over a trip add up.  The faster the hull design is, the lighter the equipment is, the more enjoyable and less effort it takes to move around the water.

https://www.rei.com/product/869146/aqua-bound-manta-ray-hybrid-posi-lok-kayak-paddle?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8691460001&CAWELAID=120217890000865444&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=16033106920&CATCI=aud-77557513944:pla-70919477200&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

The best way i can describe it is aluminum sucks, hybrids make it better, full carbon is better, but you really discern how or why, so I can't really say I recommend it, especially with the substantial price increase.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Interesting.  Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The biggest difference is in the step up from Aluminum.  You drop weight, eliminate flex, and the paddle tends to not get as hot in the sun.  From there, it's really just a weight thing.  My current favorite is the Cannon Wave Slider.  It adjusts from 130-150cm or so.  I find it superior to other designs because it locks with a pin and will not slide or move.  I've tried a few other brands with adjustable lengths like Bending Branches, and no matter how tight you lock them, they tend to turn.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#48]
OP:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1881314_For_the_member_looking_for_a_fishing_kayak___12__field_and_stream_eagle_talon_120_for__399_.html

Get this.  It's a great deal on a good boat.  You won't find anything near for the money.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Find a good used Jackson Coosa/Cuda
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1881314_For_the_member_looking_for_a_fishing_kayak___12__field_and_stream_eagle_talon_120_for__399_.html

Get this.  It's a great deal on a good boat.  You won't find anything near for the money.
View Quote

That is a good deal, I went with the eagle run sit-in for the same price.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top