Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 4/3/2016 12:04:28 PM EDT
Interesting read and story;

An elite diver died after getting trapped while navigating an underwater labyrinth that the diving community refers to as some of “the most dangerous caves” in the world.

Shane Thompson, 43, a deep sea diver and Navy vet from San Diego, Calif., was exploring the treacherous cavern underneath the Blue Hole, a popular swimming hole known for its crystal-clear waters near Santa Rosa, N.M.

Thompson was part of a two-person excursion with the ADM Exploration Foundation, who got rare access to the mysterious caverns, which have been sealed from the public since they claimed the lives of two Oklahoma student divers in 1976.

The excursion Thompson was participating in was the latest part of a two-year effort to map out the maze-like caves and make them more accessible.

Thompson lost sight of his diving partner and got disoriented inside the narrow cavern passageways and became entombed overnight.

The expert diver was on an excursion with fellow diver Mike Young, when “everything went terribly wrong,” Santa Rosa police officer Mika Gauna told the San Diego Tribune.

The two divers entered a narrow chamber about 194 feet deep in waters with no visibility due to the silt.

“Shane was supposed to stay out and for whatever reason entered the cave,” Gauna said.

More and pictures

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Wonder if he got that sinking feeling at some point
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
overhead enclosure diving is incredibly dangerous. At 194 ft as well? Fuck that.

RIP
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
"Two men enter,one man leave"

RIP
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a UUV might be a better choice to map out dangerous caves.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]
He died doing what he loved.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would he let the safety line get away from him?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The #1 nope tied with being on-fire.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
RIP
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Obviously, you are not a diver. You obviously are not funny either.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a serious navigation error. There was no permanent line where they were at so all they had to exit on was some braided #24 line. The lack of flow probably didn't help him much either. So when the silt out occurred he went to the line, my guess is that he pulled out the placements as a result of disorientation and could get back out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
overhead enclosure diving is incredibly dangerous. At 194 ft as well? Fuck that.

RIP
View Quote

Cavern diving is extremely dangerous....you need certification...tons of experience...and triple redundant safety along with backup divers ready
to rescue....with a well practiced plan in place.

Sounds like a place where permanent safety cables leading in an out are not in place?

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

RIP
View Quote

This.  Add in heavy sediment and silt, and it's even worse.  I've done enough confined space diving to realize all those tricks they tell you in a classroom (like watching which way your bubbles rise) can get overridden very quickly by panic.  As with all things, I would anticipate numerous failures will be cited (particularly losing or not having his line out).  Running out of air in a confined space in the dark by yourself has to be an incredibly bad way to go....
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#13]
194 ft? Wonder if Nitrogen Narcosis got to him. Either way fuck that shit.

I say that as a certified public safety diver who has done plenty of blackwater dives.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Drowning?

There are old _________ and there are bold________, there are very few old bold __________. I think this is one of those hobbies/jobs/experiences that would fit into those blanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cavern diving is extremely dangerous....you need certification...tons of experience...and triple redundant safety along with backup divers ready

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP

In the open water class I took our cynical instructor said, basically, "if your goal is to die while diving, I suggest you get the cave diver certification."

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sounds like a place where permanent safety cables leading in an out are not in place?

View Quote

The article said they were mapping out new areas of the cave.  On top of that, it sounds like an area they weren't supposed to go in:

“Shane was supposed to stay out and for whatever reason entered the cave”

I strongly suspect any lines out were the ones they pulled behind them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I say that as a certified public safety diver who has done plenty of blackwater dives.
View Quote

Nitrox I bet
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope.

Wrecks creep me out.  I won't go anywhere near a cave.

RIP
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The article said they were mapping out new areas of the cave.  On top of that, it sounds like an area they weren't supposed to go in:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep....I would also guess that they planned their dive but did not dive their plan.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep....I would also guess that they planned their dive but did not dive their plan.
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Safety line. Safety line, Safety line. Never leave home without, or you may not leave the cave.

Poor bastard, I cant image the hopelessness that guy felt. I suppose, as some tiny bit of comfort, I hope his lights help out longer than his oxygen.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#22]
duplicate
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your butthurt and avatart are very funny.

You seem bends out of shape.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#24]
That method of checking out gives a person way too much time to contemplate their demise.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Interesting to read that Young NOW wants the caves sealed off for being too dangerous even though HE got permission after they had been off limits. While tragic, that is total BS and my respect for him dropped like a rock.

Also sounds like both divers failed to  regroup after things started to go wrong which is absolutely a no no.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's good for base jumpers it's good for cave divers...right....
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#28]
By the time Young finally found Thompson, he was already dead.
View Quote

Not sure how your partner has air, finds him, and dude is already dead.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to live in a town not too far away from Santa Rosa.  Knew people that dived that hole, but didn't know it was that dangerous.

Lord, what a terrible feeling that must have been.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet

Without having full details, I'd suspect that a caver granted special access would be on a depth-appropriate bottom gas with travel gas staged at proper points if not just rigged alongside. I'm just a low-time NAUI open water guy certified in '91. Of course, the Navy air tables do go down to 190', and the Rouses opted to go deep air for their fatal U-869 dive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet

Nitrox at depth would be worse than air.  O2 toxicity.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#32]
From the article secondary link to:

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/shane-thompson.524794/page-2

Shane searched and recovered my husband, Jeff's, body in 175 feet when the city of LaJolla ran out of funds. Shane is our hero & we are devastated by the news of his passing. It is a truly sad event and our family is forever grateful for Shane's ability to share his skill set with others because "you can." The May Family
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been through Santa Rosa, total shithole. Nothing against the diver.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Just no, no, no, will not go into something like that.
A prayer for him and his family.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Famous last words from the experts:

"It will never happen to me, because I'm an expert!" Sorry the the family's loss though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been on numerous dives (around 50, I know this is nothing compared to most)

I have done enough diving to be dangerous.  Open water stuff is great but I had considered something more.  The subject of cave diving came up and it is very interesting to me. I asked my instructor (long time friend/professional fireman)

This man is a great diver and I would feel comfortable doing almost any dive if he were with me.  He advised me against cave diving.  The fact that he wasn't comfortable doing them, told me that I have no business in underwater caves.  I will be limited to admiring them from safe distance
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet

In all likelihood he'd be breathing Trimix at that depth.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.  Add in heavy sediment and silt, and it's even worse.  I've done enough confined space diving to realize all those tricks they tell you in a classroom (like watching which way your bubbles rise) can get overridden very quickly by panic.  As with all things, I would anticipate numerous failures will be cited (particularly losing or not having his line out).  Running out of air in a confined space in the dark by yourself has to be an incredibly bad way to go....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP

True that. I remember my first night dive I got separated from my partner and had my torch go out. Thought to myself, no big deal, I'll just slowly ascend, I was only around 30ish feet, no biggie. Couldn't see my bubbles, water was in no way clear and there was no moon.  I ended up swimming horizontally for 12 minutes before I realized my plan was not working.

Throw yourself in a cave with zero vis? Noooooope.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Shit is unforgiving.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Very sad, RIP.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Panic

Eta: this thread reminds me of the one awhile back about caving and cave diving. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt his gas mix would have allowed for that. Probably on trimix or something.

No need for narcosis to kill you at that depth, in that environment. Plenty of other ways.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://www.tamug.edu/cavebiology/Bahamas/caves/images/GuardianMap.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP

Whole lotta NOPE in that picture. Gotta love all those squeeze points... And the question marks are just so comforting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Whole lotta NOPE in that picture. Gotta love all those squeeze points... And the question marks are just so comforting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIP

How the hell does that giant section support itself with no bottom and basically no top connection. Am I looking at it wrong?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He was panicking and breathing faster, using up his air faster. Or, since he was supposed to stay outside the cave went down with less air since he wasn't going to be exerting himself. Either way, as soon as the silt went up cutting off visibility, they both should have left. And they should have had communication gear.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really.  This isn't some dumb ass who brought his kid with him or deserves a Darwin award or was committing a crime.  It's a 43 year old explorer with a family.  That guilt that you must have somewhere deep down at piling on and posting something you can't possibly think is funny... I'd listen to it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Caves are not a no, they are a HELL NO.  

I feel bad for the family, glad they at least recovered the body quickly.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#48]
He didn't follow the plan, according to what I am reading.  Going in after saying he was going to stay out.

G
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to post this...

Shoulda known Extorris would beat me to it...
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Been posted here before, but an interesting read about another experienced cave diver.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1922711/raising-dead

Ten minutes into his dive, Dave Shaw started to look for the bottom.
Utter blackness pressed in on him from all sides, and he directed his
high-intensity light downward, hoping for a flash of rock or mud. Shaw, a
50-year-old Aussie, was in an alien world, more than 800 feet below the
surface pool that marks the entrance to Bushman's Hole, a remote
sinkhole in the Northern Cape province of South Africa and the
third-deepest freshwater cave known to man.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top