Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Staying in too long, and not pulling out like you're supposed to has ruined the lives of many men.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do people still use air tanks? Don't they have rebreathers and things now that take the oxygen from the water?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The #1 nope tied with being on-fire.
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why do people still use air tanks? Don't they have rebreathers and things now that take the oxygen from the water?
View Quote

Rebreathers are error prone and have some significant disadvantages.  Many divers carry normal tanks with them as a bailout option, which is a significant problem with diving deep.  I know Wikipedia isn't the best source for a lot of things, but their overview of rebreathers is pretty good.  There are a lot of cavers who use rebreathers, but I think most still use tanks.  

I'm not aware of any technology that removes oxygen from water.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rebreathers have their own set of technical challenges, and they still require a bailout method (breathable compressed gas). Some agencies err on the side of caution, requiring enough emergency gas to return from the most distant point of penetration. An anesthesia machine is a rebreather system when we go closed or semi-closed circuit, so the science and application of it is interesting to me. I also know how easy it is to kill someone on a surface rebreathing system while controlling the system for them. Controlling your own system at depth in an emergency, possibly with the neurological impairment from various gas problems, is not to be taken lightly. Gas monitor fails and you go hypoxic without knowing it? Good night. Hyperoxic mixture? Same.

CO2 hit, from scrubber failure or something else? Miserable and good night. I had a CO2 hit at only 20 feet while dehydrated, overweighted, in 1-5' visibility, and trying to follow a buddy whose idea of buddying was "kick fins hard so buddy can see you swim away." We had done the lost buddy drill twice, and it was pretty clear that this was essentially a solo quarry dive for each of us. I recognized the CO2 symptoms including the tunnel vision, hyperventilation, and raging headache. Members of the group soon silted the viz to zero on a guideline we were following for practice. I couldn't see my hand until touching the mask, and "up" was slowly lighter than "down." No viz, no buddy, on guideline, but no overhead. I figured it was a good time to practice stop/breathe/think/act, thinking through how I'd need to work through it in a true emergency.

Dave Shaw's CO2-relate death listed on page 1 was on rebreather. IIRC, within the last decade, we had someone die here in Idaho from hypoxia on a rebreather in a practice pool.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I got open water certified 10 years or more ago. I did it because the girl I was dating loved diving and I thought it would be fun to do it together. Well she broke my heart and destroyed my soul a few weeks before the class and with the non-refundable fee already paid I decided to take it anyway. I learned that I prefer to be above the water more than under it, I used up a tank of air twice as fast as everyone else, and that wetsuits fucking suck. I think I may have ruptured or injured my ear drum as well. I haven't gone scuba diving since then.

Cave diving? Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Cave diving is similar to Russian Roulette.

Spinning the wheel...is always exciting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I find the idea of diving in caves to be completely and utterly terrifying.

I can't conceive of a reason compelling enough to make me even attempt it - and I have a pretty vivid imagination.

No. Thank. You.

Quoted:
View Quote

As a retired firefighter... I would rather be alone, on the floor above, doing a search of a Collyer's Mansion, in a truss-construction building, with my Vibralert going off, than dive in a cave.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Expense.  It adds a lot of complexity and requires more proficiency than tanks. Tanks are simple and reliable.  Consider that most divers don't dive all that often, like myself.  If I cleaned my stuff before I put it away a few months ago there is an excellent chance my gauges and Scuba Pro Mk25/600 is going to work just fine.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking of something like this:

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How the hell does that giant section support itself with no bottom and basically no top connection. Am I looking at it wrong?
View Quote

That picture is a cross-section. Think of it like a skywalk between two buildings.

So much nope in cave diving. Just thinking about it in the safety of my own home here is raising my blood pressure.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Really.  This isn't some dumb ass who brought his kid with him or deserves a Darwin award or was committing a crime.  It's a 43 year old explorer with a family.  That guilt that you must have somewhere deep down at piling on and posting something you can't possibly think is funny... I'd listen to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder if he got that sinking feeling at some point

Obviously, you are not a diver. You obviously are not funny either.

Your butthurt and avatart are very funny.

You seem bends out of shape.

Really.  This isn't some dumb ass who brought his kid with him or deserves a Darwin award or was committing a crime.  It's a 43 year old explorer with a family.  That guilt that you must have somewhere deep down at piling on and posting something you can't possibly think is funny... I'd listen to it.

You are quite correct. He's a dumbass for considering thrill seeking to be more important than his family.

That's okay, his family can have a garage sale and sell off all his cave diving junk.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope nope nope
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

https://youtu.be/IyrQc1Z4g3Y

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good chance it is a scam.

https://gearjunkie.com/triton-artificial-gills-breathe-underwater

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good chance it is a scam.

https://gearjunkie.com/triton-artificial-gills-breathe-underwater

That was just the first one I came across. For some reason, I thought this was a common technology. Perhaps in the Berenstein universe. (I would swear I read about these type of rebreathers.)
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not sure how your partner has air, finds him, and dude is already dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
By the time Young finally found Thompson, he was already dead.

He had more air then the dead guy.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Staying in too long, and not pulling out like you're supposed to has ruined the lives of many men.
View Quote

Well played.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How the hell does that giant section support itself with no bottom and basically no top connection. Am I looking at it wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
overhead enclosure diving is incredibly dangerous. At 194 ft as well? Fuck that.

RIP

Cavern diving is extremely dangerous....you need certification...tons of experience...and triple redundant safety along with backup divers ready
to rescue....with a well practiced plan in place.

Sounds like a place where permanent safety cables leading in an out are not in place?

http://www.tamug.edu/cavebiology/Bahamas/caves/images/GuardianMap.jpg

Whole lotta NOPE in that picture. Gotta love all those squeeze points... And the question marks are just so comforting.

Lol I was just asking myself the exact same question.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That was just the first one I came across. For some reason, I thought this was a common technology. Perhaps in the Berenstein universe. (I would swear I read about these type of rebreathers.)
View Quote

The technology isn't there yet. Artificial gills require a very large surface area, and CO2 still is generally the limiting factor. It's easy to get oxygen into the body, but CO2 diffuses out more slowly. Liquid breathing of perfluorocarbon (cf. The Abyss)is another possibility, but the work of "breathing" the liquid enough to remove the CO2 at anything above a motionless state would require mechanical ventilation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, do you think making jokes about someone's death is good sport or appropriate?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So, do you think making jokes about someone's death is good sport or appropriate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
194 ft? Wonder if Nitrogen Narcosis got to him. Either way fuck that shit.

I say that as a certified public safety diver who has done plenty of blackwater dives.

Nitrox I bet

You would bet wrong and it would cost you your life as well. Nitrox only works to a certain depth. If he is going to be anywhere near these depths, he needs trimix.
    And he needs to have bottles set-up at depth for his deco stops. He was combining several types of diving into 1 and he did not plan his dive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people are just way to compressed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

said he was in there overnight, so I would think his partner went back to the surface and found him on another dive back down. those tanks do not last that long.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I doubt his gas mix would have allowed for that. Probably on trimix or something.

No need for narcosis to kill you at that depth, in that environment. Plenty of other ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say that as a certified public safety diver who has done plenty of blackwater dives.

I doubt his gas mix would have allowed for that. Probably on trimix or something.

No need for narcosis to kill you at that depth, in that environment. Plenty of other ways.

True. Don't have much experience with anything past 80 ft so I didn't really think about that. I've been scared enough in a 20 ft of blackwater. Like I said, fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
i like the sky.  you're not going to catch me in a cave at all if i can help it.  

diving in a cave?  forget it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#28]
"A man has GOT to know his limitations."
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The technology isn't there yet. Artificial gills require a very large surface area, and CO2 still is generally the limiting factor. It's easy to get oxygen into the body, but CO2 diffuses out more slowly. Liquid breathing of perfluorocarbon (cf. The Abyss)is another possibility, but the work of "breathing" the liquid enough to remove the CO2 at anything above a motionless state would require mechanical ventilation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I probably read about rebreathers and misunderstood their purpose. Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#30]
A man has got to know his limitations.  Tragic but there is a reason it is considered dangerous.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

said he was in there overnight, so I would think his partner went back to the surface and found him on another dive back down. those tanks do not last that long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't see that,  makes sense now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Cave divers are fucking nuts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#33]
He was on a rebreather. They were mapping and tying lines in a uncharted cave system. Lead and Shane got separated in zero visibility when a tie off came loose. Lead made it out blind.  Shane did not and was found by recovery team the next day.

The rest I have read I cannot 100% confirm so I won't post. I'm sure the cave diving forums will have a complete report in a few weeks.

For those that have the urge to try cave diving please go through the proper training and get certified. Even going into a cave 20 to 30 feet can lead to a out of control situation and death.

There is a reason these signs are at every major cave system entrance.  This being said cave diving is worth the time if you have the urge to  experience the wonders of underwater caves.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, two.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Cave diving, Parachutes, Free climbing

Things you love but may not love you or things that kill experts.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Panic

Eta: this thread reminds me of the one awhile back about caving and cave diving. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Panic

Eta: this thread reminds me of the one awhile back about caving and cave diving. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Yeah that guy that died upside down in a cave whole spelunking,  fuck that. I believe water started to collect in the hole his head was stuck in as well,  drowning him upside down.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrox I bet

Nitrox at 194? No
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Panic causing co2 poisoning, gas loss, etc.  Divers very often die with gas in the tanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Retreathers aren't as reliable.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I can't conceive of a reason compelling enough to make me even attempt it - and I have a pretty vivid imagination.

No. Thank. You.

As a retired firefighter... I would rather be alone, on the floor above, doing a search of a Collyer's Mansion, in a truss-construction building, with my Vibralert going off, than dive in a cave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No. Thank. You.

Quoted:

Don't threaten me with a good time.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Is bs, and couldn't work more than a few feet deep if it was real.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is bs, and couldn't work more than a few feet deep if it was real.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck his partner!

Him and his dive buddy got to do what they dreamed of, but the rest of us shouldn't get to do the same because of his assumption that its too dangerous.

Fuck him.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I've always been fearful of cave diving. That's why I don't do it.

I treat cave diving like I do abandoned mines...

STAY OUT AND STAY ALIVE!
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point is when someone dies engaging in an "extreme sport" the board is lit up with people condemning and making fun of the guy or girl. In this instance a guy dies engaging in extreme cave diving and a similar level of condemnation and making fun of the person is profoundly lacking.

Compare this thread to the recent base jumping thread and the contradictions are glaring.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Diving in no visibility waters is no joke by itself.  Add all that other BS and NOPE!!!

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He died doing what he loved.
View Quote

breathing water?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be ok, bro.

Make sure you clean the sand out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go be offended somewhere else. I hope you can make it your safe space before the feels overtake you.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top