Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:38:14 PM EDT
Here's the situation:

I have recently sold several items of mine that I've had around and don't use anymore. The most expensive being one of my guitars.

Now my question is: Am I entitled to use this money to now go and buy a new "toy"......i.e. a new pistol?

The way I see it is I didn't have to sell my guitar and other such "toy", but I chose to so I could have some extra cash. Now my wife doesn't think I should use this money for new "toys".

Basically I'm just looking for confirmation on my point of view. Don't worry, your comments won't be held against you. And I'm not dumb enough to use the comments of fellow ARFCOM members in an argument with my wife. This is just for my peace of mind.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Entitled?

Who's fucking money is it?

you can do any damn thing you want with it!

including burning it with a match.

But a wise man would spend down his bills.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Your gut should be your guide....no one can convince you one way or the other.

HH
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You're just converting from one toy to another.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I would......And have. Sold two pistols to buy one better pistol.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]
entitled?
my son, you are REQUIRED to buy new toys.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm selling my toolbox to buy an AR15, I think.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Buy your wife a shiny trinket.  While she is staring at it, buy guns.

Seriously, who knows?  For all  we know, you may be a dirtball and she deserves all the money!  Were the now sold toys bought with excess $$ or did you raid the family cookie jar to get them?  If you screwed the family  a year ago to buy the guitar, then I would say the $$ needs to go back to the family.  If not, buy guns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
You are required to actually purchase more and "Both" by arfcom by-laws.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have pressing financial obligations--i.e., do your wife, children, or home have financial needs that aren't being met?

If yes, then you know what you should do.

I've sold firearms to fund unexpected car and house repairs, and to send my #1 son to the National Boy Scout Jamboree.  Those were pressing financial needs that go beyond "my toy money."

However, when there aren't any pressing needs, I buy and sell with "my" money that I have wrapped up in my toys, as well as a set allowance out of the family checkbook.  

The rule in our family is that if I'm not using "my money" to buy something, I have to put the same amount in my wife's "her money" jar.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Even my wife said that the money is yours to do with what you please.  Of course she just spent all but the last 7 bucks out of the check book on clothes.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would......And have. Sold two pistols to buy one better pistol.

Travis

+1
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The way I see it is I didn't have to sell my guitar and other such "toy", but I chose to so I could have some extra cash. Now my wife doesn't think I should use this money for new "toys".

She is just quoting from the married woman’s guide to money .

1. What's yours is yours  , what's his is negotiable

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#14]
If you sold toy a simply because you didn't want it anymore then feel free to buy toy b and don't let your wife lay a guilt trip on you.  Hell, in this case you probably shouldn't have even told her beyond the day you brought the gun home.

If you sold toy a because money is tight and you need to pay bills, then you probably shouldn't be buying any new toys until your on more solid ground.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Was this common money or money you had originally put aside for you old toys? Or toys you had owned before marriage? If the bills are paid, you have money in the bank, then I'd look at it as "found money" and buy myself a toy to replace the one I sold. Hobbies change, if you sell off an old hobby toy it HAS to be spent on the new hobby. Thats the rules. Either way since it's not out of the bank account what is the problem? All my OT money is MINE and hers is hers. The budget is satisfied and one can spend ones own hard earned dollars on what they would like.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Some clarifications because y'all brought up some good points.

We have no financial burdens at this time. We are a very lucky couple. We have been married only 3 1/2 months now, but we dated for 5 1/2 before getting married. We both treat each other very well. I would NEVER spend money on toys that should be used for bills, etc.

We have no children yet....and don't plan on having in for several more years. YES I KNOW......you can't always plan kids. Trust me, if she gets pregnant before we plan my "toys" will very quickly lose their importance.

All of the "toys" that I have recently sold were bought before we were married with my money.

I hope this clears up some of the points y'all brought up.

Also, it's great to hear thoughtful responses to questions on this discussion board. It seems as though there are many, many responsible, good-hearted people on this board from what I've seen. Many of the deeper discussions get really good answers. (this one not being one of the deeper topics )
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
You are entitled.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife says to never sell one of my toys and use the money on something that is not tangible.  In other words, if I sell my stuff I should use it to by more stuff!!  

Of course, she did build me this from scratch and put it in our bedroom for father's day:

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#19]
You have sold "toys", while not financially obligated to do so. You lose 10 man points and risk possible man card revocation until you purchase at least twice the $$$ amount of toys........go shopping now......and when you return make sure you study page 23, section A of the universal man code.......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some clarifications because y'all brought up some good points.

We have no financial burdens at this time. We are a very lucky couple. We have been married only 3 1/2 months now, but we dated for 5 1/2 before getting married. We both treat each other very well. I would NEVER spend money on toys that should be used for bills, etc.

We have no children yet....and don't plan on having in for several more years. YES I KNOW......you can't always plan kids. Trust me, if she gets pregnant before we plan my "toys" will very quickly lose their importance.

All of the "toys" that I have recently sold were bought before we were married with my money.

I hope this clears up some of the points y'all brought up.

If they were toys owned before marriage it's your stuff, if you want to sell it and buy something else, she should not complain. She needs to understand, if she is that obsessive about money it will send a guy underground on what he buys. It might not be right, but she's not your Momma and you should not have to get approval on everything you buy. I guarantee if you did it with her and all the makeup, shoes, and women stuff were added up, and budgeted to the penny she would end up hating you.  I sell a car I buy a car. I sell a gun I buy a gun. That is not budgeted money that is discreationary money and she should let you spend it at YOUR discretion.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My wife says to never sell one of my toys and use the money on something that is not tangible.  In other words, if I sell my stuff I should use it to by more stuff!!  

Of course, she did build me this from scratch and put it in our bedroom for father's day:

www.varminter.com/images/bench1.jpg

Eric  

Nice set up.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife and I have an understanding.  I can 'horse-trade' any of my stuff and she can do the same with hers.  Doesn't matter what we do with it.  However....if it's a new toy, or conversion to a significantly more expensive toy, upgrade etc, we discuss it and go from there.  Simple as that.

No, she doesn't have a sister.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

www.varminter.com/images/bench1.jpg

Eric  

You do your reloading in the bedroom?

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If they were toys owned before marriage it's your stuff,

That says it all.

Buy what you want with that money.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys.....I'm feeling much better about myself now.   h.gif

Now I just have to convince her of this sentiment.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Now I just have to convince her of this sentiment.  

no you don't. that's the point. Cowboy up.
If you can't put your foot down on this, you don't have a prayer when it's "our" money.
You'll end up with an allowance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
God im glad im single
I hear this at least once a week
or get the " I hope she ain't home when I get back so i can sneak it in to the house "
or the I gotta bring her in to look at it  
He brings "her" in she stands in the corner pissed at being in a gun shop  and says just get the f'ing thing already
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#28]
We just celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this year, before we got married I was very frank and told her that if I wanted something, earned extra money, or sold something, I was going to buy it. I do not spend out of the budget, I keep the same amount out each week normally and just spend it on different stuff, the rest goes into the bank, investments, and the like.

It has worked out very well with no fighting, arguing, or whatever about money, and when she dumps 200 bucks or whatever on woman stuff I just shut my mouth because it makes her happy also. She needs to be fair with you, she does not control the pursestrings and neither do you. You both do and she needs to understand that guys like toys, they WILL buy them one way or the other, and you will resent her in the end if she plays the money control game. I bought truck after truck for about 6 years, using one to buy the next, I never lost a DIME and actually made a couple of grand in the end, all the while staying out of the bars and having an enjoyable time. Soon enough the kids'll come and you both will have no choice for a while so tell her to loosen up a bit and enjoy life.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Entitled?   Hell yes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I never sell without buying.  In fact, buying usually means finding the cash from a sale.  Its like a zen or a yin and yang.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're in my shoes, no.  I've sold a shatload of guns in the last year to pay medical bills and ain't getting to replace much.  I did insist on a good carry gun and bought a SIG P228 to replace the Kimber I sold.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#32]
If you reach in your pants and find two round things...don't get scared...they're testicles....they are suppossed to be there.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]

An entitlement mentality won't work for very long in a marriage.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes of course you're supposed to buy more toys for yourself.  He who dies with the most toys wins.  How can ya win if ya dont??  I am selling one of  my HIGH END paintball markers to offset my recent WASR purchase AND saigia conversion.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You do your reloading in the bedroom?

Among other things...  

Her choice, I did have one in the garage but the sawdust from her woodworking was too much, so she built this one in the bedroom.  A/C, TV, cold drinks a hallway away, my wife hanging out with me while I reload...  It doesn't get much better.  

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#36]
YES!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top