Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:33:20 AM EDT
When I say illiterate, I mean people who have trouble doing the simplest thing such as using the internet.  If your boss needed help searching Google would you lose some respect for him/her?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Slightly.

Older folks have an excuse.

Younger folk are just tarted.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
No, people who judge others over such trivial things might need a look in the mirror and a team membership.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No, people who judge others over such trivial things might need a look in the mirror and a team membership.

How would a team membership remedy said problem?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#5]

No, I look at them as income.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When I say illiterate, I mean people who have trouble doing the simplest thing such as using the internet.  If your boss needed help searching Google would you lose some respect for him/her?

I don't look down on them for that.. But I also refuse to help people who are capable of understanding but are too lazy to read the documentation or learn how to do something for themselves.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I do, but ironically I am not much better. I couldn't build my own & have to get outside help if anything fails on my machine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't.... I'm related to enough of them that I have patience.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Slightly.

Older folks have an excuse.

Younger folk are just tarted.

+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't look down on them for that.. But I also refuse to help people who are capable of understanding but are too lazy to read the documentation or learn how to do something for themselves.

+1, if my WWII vet grandfather could figure out how to use the internet and work his email, anybody else can too if they put the effort in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#12]
yes, especially if they're not old.  Having served in WWII is an automatic free pass though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Only if they are in a technology field.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Amen.

Actually, this is one of those things where I find I can help break the ice. Often times, I'll run across people who are VERY intimidated by computers. When they ask for my help, they are afraid that I will look down on them. So they end up doing a little self deprecating humor, something along the lines of "I'm a total complete moron with this stuff", etc. I usually respond "Hey, that's alright! Don't sweat it. If everybody knew how to do this stuff, I'd be out of a job". People like hearing that, and it shows that I'm not looking down on them. I only want to help.

Everybody has their own talents. I think it's absolutely terrible to look down on someone, simply because they struggle with something you may not. And be careful who you look down upon in an effort to make yourself look better, lest somebody like me steps in to humble you.

Don't be a dick to people.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#15]
As I get older I find myself less able to suffer fools of all stripes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I look down upon the people who hire the inept into positions that require computer skills.
Hiring managers etc should be shot for hring people without the skills necessary to perform the job, unless THEY intend to teach/instruct them
Spoken by an IT guy for 10 + yrs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
The IT guy from SNL comes to mind. "MOVE!" (I couldn't find the video )
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I do, but ironically I am not much better. I couldn't build my own & have to get outside help if anything fails on my machine.

...yes you can.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Any particular color stripe that bothers you most ??

5sub
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
No, because i would fully expect said person to probably have a skill that i did not poses.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I look down upon the people who hire the inept into positions that require computer skills.
Hiring managers etc should be shot for hring people without the skills necessary to perform the job, unless THEY intend to teach/instruct them
Spoken by an IT guy for 10 + yrs.

My feelings exactly … Lots of people in the workforce in jobs that require a certain level of computer literacy that have absolutely no idea what they're doing. These are the people that run around freaking out about their e-mail not working, or the internet being broken, or their document not printing … they don't even possess basic troubleshooting knowledge to discount simple, likely problems and need to call an IT pro for EVERYTHING.

Own my own business, and without a basic level of computer competency I would've never got it off the ground … set up my own network, mail & web services, install upgrades to OS and software when needed, replace and upgrade hardware when required and so on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any particular color stripe that bothers you most ??...

Yes - Bad drivers who think they are good drivers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would make your penis two inches longer. Don't tell me you can't use that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that your secret?  All this time I though you were using one of these:

No wonder I haven't been getting any results!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that your secret?  All this time I though you were using one of these:

tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:TM6NqQHJK8DqbM:http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2288006/penis-pump-main_Full.jpg

No wonder I haven't been getting any results!

When I gained my two inches upon joining the team, I actually had to get a penis reduction. 11 inches is just too much for any chick.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Sheesh, I don't need a reason to look down on people. I just do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes.  I can't stand them , but at the same time they are paying for my hobby.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I try my best not to.  They're probably well-versed in something I'd have no clue about.

+1 I know a lot of friends who have a hard time with computers.  Most of
them are self employed and can do things with their brain and hands that
I sure as hell can't do.  

Most people are good at something and sometimes that isn't working with computers.  
It may get frustrating to me but I realize if they were showing me how to rebuild an engine I would like exactly like them.  ----->
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Not really (unless they are in a position where they SHOULD be computer literate).  Everyone's got to learn sometime, and there are plenty of people that have not had the time or opportunity to learn about computers.

I do get annoyed if I am at work (I am in software development) and have to deal with somebody in the office who is unable to handle simple tasks like connecting to a new printer or other basic PC skills that somebody working in software development should be able to do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.

Actually, this is one of those things where I find I can help break the ice. Often times, I'll run across people who are VERY intimidated by computers. When they ask for my help, they are afraid that I will look down on them. So they end up doing a little self deprecating humor, something along the lines of "I'm a total complete moron with this stuff", etc. I usually respond "Hey, that's alright! Don't sweat it. If everybody knew how to do this stuff, I'd be out of a job". People like hearing that, and it shows that I'm not looking down on them. I only want to help.

Everybody has their own talents. I think it's absolutely terrible to look down on someone, simply because they struggle with something you may not. And be careful who you look down upon in an effort to make yourself look better, lest somebody like me steps in to humble you.

Well said. (polite golf clap)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#33]
nope. its those people that keep me employed. do i get upset occasionally if they do something stupid like get infected with so many viruses that the only real way to fix it is to wipe it clean and start fresh.  when telling said customer this they reply i don't know where my disks are. lol. nice stuff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Typically... yes because I am standing over them showing them how to do something... so technically, yes I am looking down.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I don't.... I'm related to enough of them that I have patience.
Yep.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Only if they should be computer literate in order to do their job.  If my neighbor doesn't know how to work one of them computer machines, I could care less.  But if the new girl they just hired as a cashier at my office can't figure out how to log into Windows, then I have a problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It proves you are computer literate enough to do a Web purchase.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nick Burns, your company computer guy!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still waiting.  I'll settle for a bolt-face sticker
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#40]
No! I have a brother in law that is a millionaire and he can barely read and write, much less use a computer.

But he is very good at earning money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

ohh Jimmy Fallons only good sketch
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#42]
yeah
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Words to live by.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Nope. Working in IT I actually prefer the computer illiterate ones. You show them how to do something once then never hear from them again. The ones that know a little bit but think they know everything are the ones that are a pain in the ass. They usually know just enough to fuck something up or are constantly hammering you with stupid questions about why we are doing things a certain way or why isn't there computer updated with the microsofts latest screwed up updates? Or why are we using a certain app when they are used to a different one? Shut up and let us do our jobs and you do yours.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#45]
no.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#46]
only if they are sitting down or shorter than me
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I wouldn't say I look down on them. But I'll concede they DRIVE ME INTO AN INSANE RAGE.

About the 5'th time I showed my mother how to view a powerpoint presentation (and having her click a million things wrong then I had to coach her into fixing it since she wouldn't let me have the mouse) I very nearly tossed her computer out the window.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ohh Jimmy Fallons only good sketch

www.cnettv.com/9742-1_53-11125.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I hate the ones that diss the internet and anything to do with new technology like it's the plague.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Only when they f'ing call me up late at night for advice on how to do this, or how to remove spyware, or.. etc. (HOW ABOUT YOU DON'T GO TO STUPID SITES, OR OPEN STUPID EMAILS?!?!?)

The only one I am a little more patient with is my ASE Master mechanic brother... two way street with him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top