Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I look down on all of you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
No.  I know people much smarter and better than me who simply just never needed computers but now they're at the point in life where it's unavoidable any longer but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
No.  I am business illiterate (among many other things).  These people know how to do things that are uninteresting to me.  I know how to do things that they don't know how to do.

Its a two way street.  They probably think i am an idiot because I have to ask them all of these stupid questions about business and contracts or whatever when writing software for them.  

I do what I enjoy and don't have much interest in learning more then is necessary about their jobs.  Its pretty much the same for them I suppose.

The only time it ever irritates me is when you get people who try to put on a show about how much they know.  Anyone with any background in computer science realizes how little they really do know.  If you act like a know-it-all you are probably a dipshit.

eta:  The only exception I have ever found to this rule would be subnet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I look down on people all the time.
Short bastards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope. Knew a guy who was a great salesman. Knew building materials inside and out. He could figure out how many squares of shingles and rolls of tarpaper someone would need for a roof and do it all in his head. But he just could not grasp how computers worked. His brain just did not work that way. So does that make him a lesser person? Hell no. Most people couldn't do the things he could do.

Some people's brains just don't work that way. It's neither good nor bad--it's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Generally no, but I've worked IT helpdesk before and there were a few callers who made me question how they could drive cars or operate household appliances.  It is frustrating sometimes but I've come the the realization that some people are literally incapable of understanding how to use a computer.  They can be trained to know where certain things are (i.e menu shortcuts), but if those things move or something unexpected happens, they panic.  

It's almost fascinating, because I see it happen to otherwise intelligent and logical people who would otherwise have no difficulty solving more complex problems, but are reduced to a logical shambles when placed in front of a computer.  Maybe it's an age thing, but just about everything I know about computers I learned from poking around on them when I was little.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I do, but ironically I am not much better. I couldn't build my own & have to get outside help if anything fails on my machine.

...yes you can.

If you can assemble a lower, you can assemble a computer.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top