Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2005 6:00:25 AM EDT
I have recently noticed one of the neighborhood cats in my yard constantly.  Now I am finding that it is using my kids sandbox as a litter box.  I am pulling clumps of urine and feces soaked sand from the sand box everyday.  I am worried about my kids getting sick and I have a high powered pellet gun to put an end to this.  

Is there any other way to keep the cat out of my yard or do I shoot the cat?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

do I shoot the cat?

The answer is always, "YES".  Pop that pussy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have a little chat with the neighbors. if that doesn't resolve it find a neighbor with a big dog.  and throw some poo back in their yard
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#3]
What Cat?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
S. S. S.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Pee in the sandbox yourself.  The cat'll respect your territory.

Seriously though, I doubt kittycide is really warranted.  Just break out the low-powered BB gun and put one in its keister.  That oughta learn it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would have a little chat with the neighbors. if that doesn't resolve it find a neighbor with a big dog.  and throw some poo back in their yard

Not exactly sure which neighbor the cat belongs to.  I see it all over the place.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
It is 4th down.   Time to punt!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Seriously though, I doubt kittycide is really warranted.  Just break out the low-powered BB gun and put one in its keister.  That oughta learn it.

dont let the neighbors see you...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dont let the neighbors see you...

Yes kill it.

Now let me go back and read what it did.

Yes kill it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Does it have a collar?  If yes, you can probably find the address on it. If no, then the owners are idiots or its feral and you should call animal control.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not exactly sure which neighbor the cat belongs to.  I see it all over the place.

Then it probably doesn't belong to anyone. My girlfriend feeds a cat in her neighborhood that doesn't belong to anyone...it just roams around.

Either shoot it and smack the pellet into it hard enough to teach it that it isn't welcome or make AR15.com proud and do the S.S.S.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#12]
My brother had a similar problem.  He solved it by building a cover for the sand box with a couple of sheets of ply-wood and and a few hinges.  Besides keeping the cat out it also helps when the rains come from washing away large amounts of sand.  Should you have to spend extra money and time to keep the cat out??? Guess thats your call but the cat doesnt know any better...personally I'm not an advocate of shooting some other family's pet, at least when there is a better way to solve the problem.  I'd defenitely get that sand box cleaned out though before your kid's play in it.  Kid's tend to put things in thier mouth.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:12:22 AM EDT
[#13]
cover the sandbox when your kid isn't using it
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Does it have a collar?  If yes, you can probably find the address on it. If no, then the owners are idiots or its feral and you should call animal control.

I don't think it has a collar and even if it did everytime I try to get near it climbs over my 6ft. fence.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I had that problem when I was a kid..I would be digging in my sandbox and find a brown clump o'treasure left behind by my cat...Every time I clean out the cat box, I have suppressed childhood memories surge to the front of my brain...

But if one cat is doing it, there will be others. If you pop the cat with a bb gun, it will run away only when it sees you. A better solution would be to put a cover on the box, that keeps leaves and sticks out also.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
cover the sandbox when your kid isn't using it

I guess I could build a cover but I built the box under the playscape so could avoid having to cover it every time the weather got bad.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Claim you have a racoon problem and trap it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Get some cat repellent powder (smells like oranges) and put in on and around the sandbox.

To the cat, the sandbox looks exactly like its litter box, so its doing what it thinks its supposed to do.

Seriously, the cat/dog repellent works.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Definitely cover the sandbox, for a variety of reasons.

But shoot the cat too, just on general principles....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Execute the cat with an AR15 in the middle of the street on a Saturday.

I'm sure no one will give you any trouble after that ....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#22]
IMO cat owners should be held to the same level of responsibility as dog owners in regards to keeping thier animals on thier own property and such.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Paint ball gun.  Perhaps it's owners will realize that the cat is wondering where it ain't wanted.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't shoot the cat with a pellet gun. It will eventually go home with a hole or welt on its ass, and if somehow it came back to you, you'd probably catch hell for it, maybe even a visit from da po-po.

Do it once, do it right.

SSS
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Toss a piece of plywood over the sandbox when it's not in use.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got the same problem.   But!  It is my next door neighbor and she has windows that open to my backyard.    I'm afraid she will seem me do it.   I don't want a war with my neighbors.  This is just one more thing that pisses me off about her and her "household".

I'm seriously considering a trap.  My mother-in-law had good results with it.  I have chased the cats out of my yard so many times sinse I put my dog down that they run just by me opening the door.  I put a BB  across the bow of one of them, and it still sneaks through the fence all the time.  I find half eaten birds all over the place.  

F*ck it....where's the .338win mag.....

I do have a couple of rubber bullets rounds for my homeland defense shotgun........the possiblities....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#27]
The cat shouldn't be on your property.  Talk to the owners.  If they can't control their pet, put it down.  I have nothing against cats, but varmints are varmints.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Nuke it from orbit!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:32:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I do have a couple of rubber bullets rounds for my homeland defense shotgun........the possiblities....

So it would be loud and just maim the cat.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Buy a dog.

or

Kill it!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Had the same problem. The solution I found was a twenty dollar red rider bb gun from wally world. It was not powerful enough to kill but it left a lasting impression.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it would be loud and just maim the cat.....

Ya, but I would get to test out the rounds....

You take all the fun out of things.....

Seriously, I'm thinking the trap would be best.   Call the Police and have them come get the cat, let the owner pay to get it out.  This works for my in-laws.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have recently noticed one of the neighborhood cats in my yard constantly.  Now I am finding that it is using my kids sandbox as a litter box.  I am pulling clumps of urine and feces soaked sand from the sand box everyday.  I am worried about my kids getting sick and I have a high powered pellet gun to put an end to this.  

Are you a firefighter?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Get some cat repellent powder (smells like oranges) and put in on and around the sandbox.

To the cat, the sandbox looks exactly like its litter box, so its doing what it thinks its supposed to do.

Seriously, the cat/dog repellent works.

I have a 5 month old Rottweiller.  Will the repellant effect him?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#35]

1. Some cats carry the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis (Toxoplasma gondii). They can also carry various types of worms. Toxoplasmosis and worms can both be transmitted by contact with poo.

2. Playing with poo is nasty.

3. This probably isn't the only cat pooping in your sandbox.

Given the points above, you should get a cover for it. Shooting one cat won't solve the problem because another will fill its.. err... paws.. in no time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Live trap it and turn it over to animal control.  If you know who owns it you can turn it over to them the first time with a warning.  Havahart live traps
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Nuke it from orbit!!

...It's the only way to be sure!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#39]

So...

you kill that damn thing yet?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Do you ever see it in your yard?  Use a garden hose with a spray nozzle on it a few times.  Only in the sandbox if you don't mind it elsewhere in your yard.  Are you on good terms with your neighbor?  Solve it by talking with him if you can, if not, call animal control.

Don't shoot it.

Both of my neighbors have cats.  I have two.  All of these cats are indoor/outdoor, and all roam each other's yards.  I spray one of my neighbor's cats occasionally with a hose.  My other neighbor has run my cat away from his chicken run a few times.  We work it out, hopefully you can too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Another reason I don't want to cover it is that I built it under the playscape and some of the support legs run through the box which means I need to make a "custom" cover and notch out for the legs.  It would just be a PIA but if its the only solution I guess I will.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Definitely cover the sandbox, for a variety of reasons.

But shoot the cat too, just on general principles....

+1

Quoted:
Paint ball gun. Perhaps it's owners will realize that the cat is wondering where it ain't wanted.

+2 We had a pink cat running around my subdivision when I was a kid, but I had to do it twice to "learn it good". After the second time, we never saw that cat again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Kitty must die.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Live trap it and turn it over to animal control.  If you know who owns it you can turn it over to them the first time with a warning.  Havahart live traps

I'd say +1 but $50+ for a trap is a little steep.  Be nice if Animal Control would lend you one.

Try spraying it with the hose.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:10:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I just did...the f*&^ing thing ran under the house. It was killing my chickens.
Say what you want, when you do decide to do it, use something big. They are hard as hell to put down.
They don't say 9 lives for nothing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#46]
You got an AR ? put that sucker down . . . . There are few cats i like . . . . .
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Put about half-a-dozen mouse traps just under the surface of the sand.  The cat will learn quickly through negative reinforcement.

Oh, and don't tell your kids, either.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Mouse traps work well to keep animals off furniture.  Used 'em on dogs that would try to jump up on the couch.  Only problem with the cat is a mouse trap will break his paw instead of just scaring him off.  Now he'll be stuck in your yard for good not being able to clear the fence jumping out.  Just build the cover...in a matter of days the cat will realize he has no reason to come in your yard and will go elsewhere.  If you want to try the repellant but dont want to make a trip to the pet store try chili powder.  One smell or lick and that cat wont be happy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:41:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Damn, I can only dream about neighbors cats.

I never see them in my yard.

I have access to UHP nitrous oxide.

I'd be catching the cat in a Have-a-Heart trap baited with tuna.

Then putting it to sleep.

Then shaving it bald.

Catch and release.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#50]
It's easy to say just cover it.  But what if his daughter wants to play when he is not home?  Plus, getting daddy to go out and uncover the sand box everytime she wants to play seems to be excessive efforts to accomodate a strange cat.

My choice?

1.  Call Animal Control, tell them that the cat scratched your daughter "last week" and the welts took until now to go away.  You just happened to catch it in your have a heart trap.  (here you go).

2.  Colibri

3.  CB caps

4.  Aguila subsonic
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top