Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:30:03 PM EDT
OK, the dirtbags from Microsoft are going to install the spyware from Windows 10 onto Windows 7 & 8 machines.  What are the other options for an operating system?

I keep reading "Linux." Where do you get Linux? How much does it cost (approximately)? Can you still run Microsoft products like Officer 2013 and such.

Anything else you'd like to tell us "technologically challenged" that we haven't thought to ask?

Many thanks in advance from we, the technologically clueless.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

OK, the dirtbags from Microsoft are going to install the spyware from Windows 10 onto Windows 7 & 8 machines.  What are the other options for an operating system?

I keep reading "Linux." Where do you get Linux? How much does it cost (approximately)? Can you still run Microsoft products like Officer 2013 and such.

Anything else you'd like to tell us "technologically challenged" that we haven't thought to ask?

View Quote

You can download most Linux flavors for free.

Generally, you cannot run any Microsoft products.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't use Microsoft products with Linux, what do you do for a word processing program or, say, a database program?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you can't use Microsoft products with Linux, what do you do for a word processing program or, say, a database program?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OpenOffice is one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most come with LibreOffice Suite. For most people it will do as good as MS Office.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Ubuntu is easier to install than windows. It works 'out of the box' on most machines.

Just download and burn the install disc. Completely free.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
You might want to take a step back first and read this.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/

We do have a tech forum (Urban Commandos). There are a number current Linux threads running.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#7]
link to them installing that crap on windows 7?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Linux comes in many "flavors" called distros (short for distribution).  I recommend "Linux Mint"  found here.  http://www.linuxmint.com/

It does have learning curve, but there are plenty of sources for help.  It comes with a full office suite and email client.  And yes it is free.  Here is a decent tutorial on how to install it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ubuntu is easier to install than windows. It works 'out of the box' on most machines.
View Quote

Except when it doesn't.

the trifecta seems to be a Intel Processor, Intel graphics card, and (if you have a laptop) an Intel wireless card.

That being said, my current Windows notebook has an AMD C-60 1GHZ processor and an Atheros wireless card. Running Linux "live" (not installed) seems to work OK.

The biggest headache can be getting peripherals (esp. printers) to worki. HP does the best job with Linux Drivers. Ubuntu and Linux Mint (an Ubuntu spin-off) have lots of printer drivers.

And if the computer is one of the newer ones with UEFI and Secure Boot that might be another hurdle to cross. If your machine is one of the older ones with BIOS you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't go full retard without actually doing your research on the matter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are "technologically challenged" just suck it up and stick with Windows. The "spyware" isn't any worse than what Google and the NSA already has on you. Read up on how to disable it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you are "technologically challenged" just suck it up and stick with Windows. The "spyware" isn't any worse than what Google and the NSA already has on you. Read up on how to disable it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't accuse someone of going "full retard" until you do the computer search yourself. It makes you look bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/30/windows-10-spying-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Actually, from here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/30/windows-10-spying-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
OP, one of the things you can do to try Linux without actually installing it is to download a .ISO file (which is the operating system itself but packaged up so it fits on a CD-ROM or DVD). Normally installing from a .ISO will unpack everything and install it on your hard drive.

there are several options for creating a bootable Linux distribution. Several years ago, I used to use Knoppix (Linux) on a CD that I'd drop into my CD tray and boot my computer. It would come up in Linux and I'd do whatever I wanted. The good thing was that I could utterly destroy the OS and a reboot fixed it and brought it back like new. The bad thing is that it wasn't easy accessing my hard drive for storage.

I'd recommend you try something like that. There used to be a site Linux.org or Linux.com and it had a list of almost every Linux distribution known, a description of what it was, a link to where you could find it, and stuff like that.

If you try something like this, then you can boot into Linux OR Windows and not affect your computer other than making sure it can boot from a CD as an option. Or you could do the same thing with a USB device.

I'm sure if I'm wrong I'll be corrected but this is what I did for a few years several years ago.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#17]
You're technology clueless yet somehow you know Win10 is spyware?

You know what I do when client tells me they know nothing, then proceeds to tell me how much they know?  I laugh and walk out, which is what I'm doing with this thread.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You know what I do when client tells me they know nothing, then proceeds to tell me how much they know?  I laugh and walk out, which is what I'm doing with this thread.
View Quote

Did you not see the reference from Forbes?  Is Forbes not considered a reliable source in your world?  Another ARFCOMer who wants to write a smart aleck answer without taking the time to read the thread.  (By the way, thanks to those who are offering suggestions.)

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are "Technically Challenged" then you have no business fooling with Linux...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did you not see the reference from Forbes?  Is Forbes not considered a reliable source in your world?
View Quote

I'll admit to not being up to date on the Win10 spying allegations, but when you ask "is Forbes a reliable source?", I'll reply "sure, generally; however I certainly do not take anything they say about guns or technology at full face value."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you are "Technically Challenged" then you have no business fooling with Linux...
View Quote

... and this is the reality of it.

Assembling an AR doesn't make you a gunsmith and "being pretty good with Windows" doesn't make you a computer expert.  Unless you are willing to change the "technically challenged" part then you really should stick to computers you can buy ready to use.

If you're willing to open your mind and learn some stuff then give a live Linux distro a spin.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#23]
There are millions of "tech-challenged" folks out there who use Linux....

...every time they fire up their respective Chromebooks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or Mac OSX for that matter.  But we are talking big boy Linux here not buried deep under the hood Linux.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I love the idea of Chromebooks and may get one myself.

... but I imagine those that fear MS spying fear Google just as much.

ETA
Quoted:
Or Mac OSX for that matter.  But we are talking big boy Linux here not buried deep under the hood Linux.

I love OSX, still have an aluminum PowerBook that gets used on occasion.  Prefer the BSD way of doing things over Linux, they just seem more "right".

But again, if you're afraid of Corporate Overlords spying on you then MS, Google, and Apple are probably all in the same league.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#27]
They are in the same league.  

The plain truth of it is, if it's not open source (which allows you to see everything that it touches, communicates with, or does), you cannot be sure what it collects or provides undocumented access to.  

Linux is open source.  You can see everything the operating system does, or is potentially configured to do.  With Microsoft or Apple, all you have is their statement, and no proof.  

Microsoft or Apple may claim all they want that there are no backdoors or capture devices embedded in it.  They will not provide any proof that there aren't.  

But as we've already seen,  if there were, there would be court orders preventing them from revealing that.  So they'd say the same exact thing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ubuntu.com  or www.distrowatch.com/

free

kinda.   been a while since I played with Linux,you can run Office but you'll need some technical knowledge to do so.    the other option is Open Office which will open .doc files.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. On one hand you hate MS, but on the other you want to keep using their products???

If you really are technologically challenged, stay away from Linux. Sure it works fine for most things, but when things go wrong - they go very wrong. Good luck fixing odd ball issues. Finding drivers for that old printer you use once a year tucked away in the corner.

Get a Mac instead.

Or alternatively just OPT OUT of the MS Phone home stuff.

Linux is not for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]
The days of office software being a hegemony are over.  

You can go right to google drive and create anything you want.   Or openoffice as has been stated here.  

Office software is no longer a concern in the slightest.  

I'm writing from a Fedora 22 machine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#31]
If Google Docs is sufficient for you, get yourself a Chromebook / Chromebox...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Careful what you wish for.  While Windows has a well deserved rep for security flaws and whatnot, unless you know what you're doing, you're more than likely going to end up in far worse shape (potentially), at least from a security perpesctive.

The Linux kernel is far more insecure than windows, at least out of the box.  Unless you know what you're doing, you're likely to get into trouble if you ever end up on a public network.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a good solution if the OP's concern is commercial data mining.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which has nearly identical language as the MS agreement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OpenOffice or LibreOffice for word processor.  Proponents of both products will tell you that it's just as good MS Office and is compatible with MS Office.  Neither statement is exactly true in my opinion.  If your needs are modest either one will probably work for you.  If you're job is such that you really wring out the advanced features of MS Office, OpenOffice and LibreOffice won't even come close to cutting it.

When you say database, are you talking something like MS Access or a more serious DB like SQL Server?  If you're doing heavy database work and want something in the same class as SQL server, Linux has a number of choices that could work for you.  Depending on what you are doing, MySQL might do everything you need and it costs nothing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's concerned about spyware.

Google Docs is not the answer he seeks.  lol.

Google spys on your shit and tells you they are spying on your shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#37]
What about running linux/unbuntu/whatever in a VM on an OS/x box?  Looking at a quad core mac pro.  It will have a windows VM, but it would be no problem to set up another VM.

Thinking about a dual monitor setup, possibly 3.  Run unbuntu in a VM - watch espn3 or something while the os/x machine is doing work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

And OP, no offense, but this is also true.  Linux can, at times, be daunting even for professionals in the field.  And as has also been stated in this thread, when Linux goes wrong, it tends to go bad wrong, and quick.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]

It's so edgy to hate on MS. All the cool kids are doing it.

I think I'll do away with the simple-to-use stuff and install something I have zero experience with.

That'll show that Bill Gates.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#40]
It's not worth the trouble. What information could MS possibly glean from your computer use that Google or Facebook doesn't already have and sell?

They're not after your porn browsing history. They're not after your credit card number. They'd lose market share in dramatic fashion if they ever did anything other than target some advertising with whatever information they get from your computer.

Based on your questions, you should probably try Linux on an older computer that you don't mind trashing afterward because I seriously doubt you're going to be OK with it in the long term.

As pointed out above, the "spying" isn't nearly as pervasive as you might think and is probably quite mild compared to what Google/FB/Twitter is doing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Just go get a mac, it's not hard to learn and is actually really good.  You can run office on it and you can even run windows on it with boot camp or vm.  I have been a windows guy my whole life until this year (I am 40)  I tried my first macbook and I am hooked.  If you are a gamer you might run into  issues.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I posted this in the other thread on this topic:

I chuckle because every time we have one of these threads everyone shouts Linux, but then other times it seems like the normal Arfcom member can't even use a web browser without help.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I guess I'll post this here.

This is a list of sketchy patches MS has issued for Windows 7

KB3035583 (primary nagware for Windows 10)
KB2952664
KB2990214 (Windows 10 upgrade)
KB3021917 (Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program)
KB3022345
KB3044374 (Windows 10 upgrade)
KB3068708 (update for CEIP and telemetry)
KB3075249 (telemetry)
KB3080149 (update for CEIP and telemetry)

Easy way to uninstall them is to open a cmd line, and type: wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583

and so forth on down the list.  Way easier to do it that way than to try and find a particular patch amongst the millions via add/remove updates
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
You don't have to be a programmer or a heavy techie to use a Linux distro. It's as good a choice for performing mundane tasks like web surfing, checking email, and creating word docs as anything else. I really can't fathom the reasoning behind the comments that suggest otherwise. If a person can learn Windows for the first time, that same person can learn to use the desktop Linux distros.

There are other reasons for making the jump too...such as a community of users and developers that make sure the answer to a problem can almost always be found online. And an OS that is not resource heavy and will run on older, slower machines. Oh yea, how about more apps than you likely will ever know how to use, right at one's fingertips?

I've only used Fedora during my brief stint in Linuxland because I've not had a reason to try another. Do recommend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

and so forth on down the list.  Way easier to do it that way than to try and find a particular patch amongst the millions via add/remove updates
View Quote

Did you know there is a search function (at least on Windows 7) that allows one to search for the patch versus trying to find it by going through the list?  Upper right hand corner - says Search Installed Updates  right under the minimize maximize and close buttons.  Type in KB3022345 etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the OP has an Android smart phone he may as well get a Chromebook or Chromebox.  And if the OP has an Apple smart phone he may as well get a Mac.  At least *Microsoft* won't be data-mining him.  

If the OP really wants to run Linux, he should consider running Debian stable.  It comes in several flavors:  GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, MATE and Cinnamon.  He can play around with VMs and live images to his heart's content before installing on real hardware...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Did you not see the reference from Forbes?  Is Forbes not considered a reliable source in your world?  Another ARFCOMer who wants to write a smart aleck answer without taking the time to read the thread.  (By the way, thanks to those who are offering suggestions.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forbes is not a tech magazine.  It's not a reliable source of information in this field.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OSX is not and has nothing to do with Linux.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well technically you are both right and wrong...

"In 1985, Richard Stallman created the Free Software Foundation and developed the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL), in order to spread software freely. Many of the programs required in an OS (such as libraries, compilers, text editors, a UNIX shell, and a windowing system) were completed by the early 1990s, but few elements such as device drivers, daemons, and the kernel were incomplete. In 1991, Linus Torvalds began to work on MINIX, a Unix-like OS, whose code was freely available under GNU GPL project. Then he developed the first LINUX kernel and released it on 17 September 1991, for the Intel x86 PC systems. This kernel included various system utilities and libraries from the GNU project to create a usable operating system. All underlying source code can be freely modified and used."

From http://www.diffen.com/difference/Linux_vs_Unix#History_of_Unix_vs._Linux
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#50]
If you have to ask, you likely shouldn't be using a linux based OS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top