BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you have to ask, you likely shouldn't be using a linux based OS.
View Quote
I disagree, 99.99% of people have no idea what is going on inside MS windows, yet they still use it.  Linux distros have a bit of a learning curve, but they are polished enough that the average lay person can use them for day to day tasks.  The distro I recommended, Linux Mint, by default is very hard to trash.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Android and Chrome OS both run on top of Linux.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well technically you are both right and wrong...  

"In 1985, Richard Stallman created the Free Software Foundation and developed the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL), in order to spread software freely. Many of the programs required in an OS (such as libraries, compilers, text editors, a UNIX shell, and a windowing system) were completed by the early 1990s, but few elements such as device drivers, daemons, and the kernel were incomplete. In 1991, Linus Torvalds began to work on MINIX, a Unix-like OS, whose code was freely available under GNU GPL project. Then he developed the first LINUX kernel and released it on 17 September 1991, for the Intel x86 PC systems. This kernel included various system utilities and libraries from the GNU project to create a usable operating system. All underlying source code can be freely modified and used."

From http://www.diffen.com/difference/Linux_vs_Unix#History_of_Unix_vs._Linux
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are millions of "tech-challenged" folks out there who use Linux....

...every time they fire up their respective Chromebooks!

Or Mac OSX for that matter.  But we are talking big boy Linux here not buried deep under the hood Linux.

OSX is not and has nothing to do with Linux.

"In 1985, Richard Stallman created the Free Software Foundation and developed the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL), in order to spread software freely. Many of the programs required in an OS (such as libraries, compilers, text editors, a UNIX shell, and a windowing system) were completed by the early 1990s, but few elements such as device drivers, daemons, and the kernel were incomplete. In 1991, Linus Torvalds began to work on MINIX, a Unix-like OS, whose code was freely available under GNU GPL project. Then he developed the first LINUX kernel and released it on 17 September 1991, for the Intel x86 PC systems. This kernel included various system utilities and libraries from the GNU project to create a usable operating system. All underlying source code can be freely modified and used."

That has nothing to do with anything.

OSX started with a BSD base.  Hell, I'm not sure Apple could distribute closed source OSX if it started life as GPL licensed code; the BSD license is much more open.

ETA  That page is a very shallow review of the subject.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

That has nothing to do with anything.

OSX started with a BSD base.  Hell, I'm not sure Apple could distribute closed source OSX if it started life as GPL licensed code; the BSD license is much more open.

ETA  That page is a very shallow review of the subject.
View Quote
While I agree that it's more complex, I think it would be fair to say that they both share a common heritage.

"FreeBSD is a free Unix-like operating system descended from Research Unix via the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD). Although for legal reasons FreeBSD cannot use the Unix trademark, it is a direct descendant of BSD, which was historically also called "BSD Unix" or "Berkeley Unix". The first version of FreeBSD was released in 1993, and today FreeBSD is the most widely used open-source BSD distribution, accounting for more than three-quarters of all installed systems running open-source BSD derivatives.[2]

FreeBSD has similarities with Linux, with two major differences in scope and licensing: FreeBSD maintains a complete operating system, i.e. the project delivers kernel, device drivers, userland utilities and documentation, as opposed to Linux delivering a kernel and drivers only and relying on third-parties for system software;[3] and FreeBSD source code is generally released under a permissive BSD license as opposed to the copyleft GPL."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I disagree, 99.99% of people have no idea what is going on inside MS windows, yet they still use it.  Linux distros have a bit of a learning curve, but they are polished enough that the average lay person can use them for day to day tasks.  The distro I recommended, Linux Mint, by default is very hard to trash.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think it would be fair to say that they both share a common heritage.
View Quote

Go back far enough and everything has a common heritage :-)

But Josh is correct when he writes "OSX is not and has nothing to do with Linux".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Mac OSX for that matter.  But we are talking big boy Linux here not buried deep under the hood Linux.

No, technically and colloquially I am exactly correct.

Linux is a kernel that has nothing to do with OSX.  Linux distributions are a conglomeration of a Linux kernel and GNU utilities and usually some variant of the long term terminally fucked X-Windows system along with GDE or KDE or XFCE or some other imitation of a commercial desktop manager.

OSX is a variant of BSD Unix, specifically it's very similar to FreeBSD and Apple actually contributes to the FreeBSD project.  It has a combination Mach/Microkernel called XNU (released as open source under Apple's license).  http://opensource.apple.com/

BSD is actually Unix.  It traces its line back much further than Linux and in a different line.  It has a different kernel, different utilities, a different userland, a completely different license, and in the case of OSX a completely different windowing system (most commercial Unix variants also use CDE or another window manager that isn't available in Linux distributions as well).  Apple also uses and distributes a completely different compiler as well.

The only small similarity you might find between the two is that there are some GNU utilities that may also be used in some Linux distributions used in OSX, which most people will never see or know exist.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But Josh is correct when he writes "OSX is not and has nothing to do with Linux".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only common heritage they have is when Linus wrote Linux he wrote it in order to have a free copy of a teaching OS that wasn't Unix to begin with, and then he used Stallman's GNU utilities to build an OS because Stallman's Hurd was never going to get built.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't accuse someone of going "full retard" until you do the computer search yourself. It makes you look bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/30/windows-10-spying-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, the dirtbags from Microsoft are going to install the spyware from Windows 10 onto Windows 7 & 8 machines.  What are the other options for an operating system?

I keep reading "Linux." Where do you get Linux? How much does it cost (approximately)? Can you still run Microsoft products like Officer 2013 and such.

Anything else you'd like to tell us "technologically challenged" that we haven't thought to ask?

Many thanks in advance from we, the technologically clueless.

Don't go full retard without actually doing your research on the matter.

Don't accuse someone of going "full retard" until you do the computer search yourself. It makes you look bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/30/windows-10-spying-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Linking to a Gordon Kelly article while accusing others of looking bad. Hoo boy. GD don't you ever let me down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only common heritage they have is when Linus wrote Linux he wrote it in order to have a free copy of a teaching OS that wasn't Unix to begin with, and then he used Stallman's GNU utilities to build an OS because Stallman's Hurd was never going to get built.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that.  I was thinking of "heritage" more in a cultural sense then a biological/version control sense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, he was 100% correct. OS X is BSD running on a Mach Kernel. it is Unix, not Linux. Linux is very Unix-like, but it is not Unix.  
You can get many Linux packages to run on OS X, because Linux provides so many Unix-like services that are compatible at the API level. But in the end, they are running in Unix.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to break it to you, but GNU's Not Unix.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Roger that.  I was thinking of "heritage" more in a cultural sense then a biological/version control sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my picture above...  Both Linux and Minix (what Linux was designed to mimic) are not in the Unix tree.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Linking to a Gordon Kelly article while accusing others of looking bad. Hoo boy. GD don't you ever let me down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK, the dirtbags from Microsoft are going to install the spyware from Windows 10 onto Windows 7 & 8 machines.  What are the other options for an operating system?

I keep reading "Linux." Where do you get Linux? How much does it cost (approximately)? Can you still run Microsoft products like Officer 2013 and such.

Anything else you'd like to tell us "technologically challenged" that we haven't thought to ask?

Many thanks in advance from we, the technologically clueless.

Don't go full retard without actually doing your research on the matter.

As someone who worked at Microsoft for 24 years (still consulting there) I'll share a couple thoughts. "Customer experience programs" have been in operation for decades; I worked in SQL Server and if you've ever installed it, you've seen the OPTION to participate. I tested the code that collected data, and analyzed the aggregated results that was uploaded. It was all about feature usage so we could asses the impact of deprecating or investing more in features. If you didn't want MS to know you used a specific chart control in an RS report, you opted out.

I "did the computer search" and scanned the KBs mentioned, and they referred to consent.exe which I believe is the UAC popup you get when a program tries to do something that needs admin permissions, I assume they track what was being attempted because its a security risk, and um, MS wants to be more secure.

Secondly, data privacy and security is a HUGE priority there with policies, mandatory training etc regarding PII (personally identifiable information, which is not included in the CEIP program data we're discussing) and customer data. All because its bad for business when customers don't trust you to be secure with the data they provide.

IMHO this is all fud.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
duped
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top