Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2004 10:53:02 PM EDT
How many people close too you have you lost too cancer?
Just figured lets get away from politics for a second.

Also little worried, my Mother is in town tell the 7th and currently has cancer, a brain tumor she has had since 99 and she says she has felt odd lately, waiting for test results.

Lost a Father in 97, in 99 my mother had a seizure and found out she too had cancer. I think I am dying by 40 I don't have the best genes as far as health goes.

Oh yes my grandfather last year to Leukima. Struck him hard but he was in his 80's.
So my rank is

2 lost
1 we are worried about.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My grandfather, WWII vet, 2 years ago.
My aunt 3 years ago.
My uncle 6 months ago.
ETA My uncle, 10 years ago

RIP Elie, Yvette, Jim, and Glen.

My current GF had cancerous tumors a few years back but beat them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Brother 5 years ago , Lung cancer
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
My Great-grandmother 3 years ago.

My aunt had breast cancer, but survived because the docs removed her left breast.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Cancer...... IT SUCKS!

Saw my best friend's dad in 1980 go from looking 39 to 80 in 9 short months. Just recently I told my friend: "You know because of your dad, I never smoked" He said "It wasnt the smoking that killed him. It  was all the asbestos he worked with"...

...So NOW Im pissed. I didnt smoke all this time for the wrong reason... So I jumped in with both feet and now smoking 4 packs a day... hey... gotta catch up on all that lost time.... JUST KIDDING RELAX!!!

But the story about my friends dad is true and to this day, It had left such an impact on my life that I wonder why anyone would do things to their bodies "Smoking, Drugs, alcohol, etc..." to damage them and hurt the ones who love them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cancer...... IT SUCKS!

Saw my best friend's dad in 1980 go from looking 39 to 80 in 9 short months. Just recently I told my friend: "You know because of your dad, I never smoked" He said "It wasnt the smoking that killed him. It  was all the asbestos he worked with"...

...So NOW Im pissed. I didnt smoke all this time for the wrong reason... So I jumped in with both feet and now smoking 4 packs a day... hey... gotta catch up on all that lost time.... JUST KIDDING RELAX!!!

But the story about my friends dad is true and to this day, It had left such an impact on my life that I wonder why anyone would do things to their bodies "Smoking, Drugs, alcohol, etc..." to damage them and hurt the ones who love them.

No fun intended but my father went through the same thing, from 47 to ET, he got down to 80lbs, was 6ft. And his belly had at any given time 7 liters of fluid he had to have drained weekly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to edit my post. Originally i counted 1. My friends dad with lung cancer... I forgot the three friends that I lost to Pancreatic Cancer. Well, two have died and the third has hospice visiting his home. This guy that is dying now was one big, tough all American guy. Now, he is this poor meek man lying in a hospital bed in the middle of his living room.

Just not a good way to go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No fun intended but my father went through the same thing, from 47 to ET, he got down to 80lbs, was 6ft. And his belly had at any given time 7 liters of fluid he had to have drained weekly.

47 to ET?? Im sorry to pry but just curious. Where did all that fluid come from. If I am encrouching on private matters please tell me to back off and I respect your wishes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
None.

But what is weird is that my uncle's family, the over-achieving, condescending, holier-than thou-we're so-disappointed-in-how-you-turned-out branch of the family? Clean living blue noses? The ones who are millionaires but gave up their careers to devote their lives to helping the less fortunate and doing god's work?  Guess whose family get stricken with cancer?

Both my aunt and uncle had cancer (prostate and breast), as did their daughter (breast).  Three out of four of them.

Quite the pisser, huh?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

47 to ET?? Im sorry to pry but just curious. Where did all that fluid come from. If I am encrouching on private matters please tell me to back off and I respect your wishes.

As belive it was from his liver pumping it into his stomach, I forget exactly it was only at the end. His belly was about 3 times as wide as him, this is why I said et. And he got very pale.

Not problem asking me. Only way to get better is to talk about this stuff. If you don't youll become bitter and hateful.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dad 10 years ago
My Aunt 6 years ago
Close friend from work 2 years ago
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
My mom six years ago....
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Lumpy196
PhatForrest
chrome1
yugosksfan
DrFrige
dpmmn
John91498
Gigglesmith
twonami
joker581
EricTheHun
photokirk
TimJ
TomJefferson
gamesniper
einnor1040
M10KEN
RAVYN
goodmedicine
Yojimbo
Alien
TNFrank
Johninaustin
cat_aclysm
Sorry for your losses
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Lumpy196
PhatForrest
chrome1
yugosksfan
DrFrige
dpmmn
John91498
Sorry for your losses

Oly... same here.

Oh and here is a little tidbit for all you GUYS on board. My dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 3 years ago. Removed and cancer free now. Dr told him that if ALL MEN were to live to 110 years of age... 100% of them will get prostate cancer...

So, On that note. All of you over 40 PLEASE get your PSA test done. Its a simple blood test and catch that early. ITS TREATABLE! Another good friend of mine got prostate cancer and he was only 54. He too had the surgery and is cancer free.

OLY, I didnt say it before so I will say it now... GREAT THREAD! Life is not all guns and politics.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#15]
One Aunt; last year.
One Uncle; 15 years ago.  (By marriage.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Geez, I dont think I have ever replied as much to a topic as this one. Oly, I re-read your first post and as far as brain tumors go, Medical breakthroughs have NEVER been so advanced as they are today. they even have one method where NO CUTTING is involved. It is done with lasers and precision computer technology. Basically, the patient goes in to the hospital and put on a plotting machine whereas the computer measures the tumor and maps out precisely where it sits, then the patient moves to another machine that the info is uploaded into where it has a laser and takes out the tumor.

I dont know where you guys are located but get yourself to a WELL REKNOWN cancer treatment center. Dont just go with what ONE doctor or staff say.

My best friend's wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor and they are shrinking it with meds. Yes it makes her moody but what would you rather have?

As far as your 'genes' are concerned... Yes, family history plays a part but YOUR lifestyle can change the odds. Eat right, excercise and dont do things that may affecy you in the long run.

Cancer is NO LONGER a 100% death sentence. It can be beat.

My wife and I are involved with Kids with Congentital heart Defects (long story) and what just 5-10 years ago was considered a death sentence is now 100% treatable. Dr's are more aggressive than just 3-4 years ago. And technology.... forget about it... that has just soared to heights that you wont believe.

dont lose faith OLY.... My prayers go out to your mom and your family.

ETA:Brain Tumor Cures
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#17]
1 Grandma
1 Grandpa
2 Uncles
1 aunt
1 father in-law
2 friends

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Geez, I dont think I have ever replied as much to a topic as this one. Oly, I re-read your first post and as far as brain tumors go, Medical breakthroughs have NEVER been so advanced as they are today. they even have one method where NO CUTTING is involved. It is done with lasers and precision computer technology. Basically, the patient goes in to the hospital and put on a plotting machine whereas the computer measures the tumor and maps out precisely where it sits, then the patient moves to another machine that the info is uploaded into where it has a laser and takes out the tumor.

I dont know where you guys are located but get yourself to a WELL REKNOWN cancer treatment center. Dont just go with what ONE doctor or staff say.

My best friend's wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor and they are shrinking it with meds. Yes it makes her moody but what would you rather have?

As far as your 'genes' are concerned... Yes, family history plays a part but YOUR lifestyle can change the odds. Eat right, excercise and dont do things that may affecy you in the long run.

Cancer is NO LONGER a 100% death sentence. It can be beat.

My wife and I are involved with Kids with Congentital heart Defects (long story) and what just 5-10 years ago was considered a death sentence is now 100% treatable. Dr's are more aggressive than just 3-4 years ago. And technology.... forget about it... that has just soared to heights that you wont believe.

dont lose faith OLY.... My prayers go out to your mom and your family.

Yeah she was given 3 years with out surgery, $100,000+ later they where able to remove a baseball size part. She still has finger however and has to get mris etc regularly. Last choice is radiation. Can really screw up the brain.

Appreciate the care Drfrige.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Lumpy196
PhatForrest
chrome1
yugosksfan
DrFrige
dpmmn
John91498
Gigglesmith
Sorry for your losses

Thank you...I really miss my mom...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lumpy196
PhatForrest
chrome1
yugosksfan
DrFrige
dpmmn
John91498
Gigglesmith
Sorry for your losses

I could only imagine how it would be, loosing my father was hard enough as a teenager. And came really close to loosing my mother.

By the way FUCK CANCER FUCK IT HARD
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a co-worker slowly dying of the disease.

Terribly sad, and confusing. Can't do a damn thing about it.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:46:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lumpy196
PhatForrest
chrome1
yugosksfan
DrFrige
dpmmn
John91498
Gigglesmith
Sorry for your losses

I could only imagine how it would be, loosing my father was hard enough as a teenager. And came really close to loosing my mother.

By the way FUCK CANCER FUCK IT HARD

Werd...they or us need to find a cure real fast....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#23]
My wife lost her father and her step-father from the same type of cancer 5 years apart.
They were both in the military and both served at the same place in Vietnam at the same time with different commands.

Her father didn't know who he was at the end, her step-father died in bed with his family around him.

My mom has had tumors removed from her at least 4 times that I know of, all benigin though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]
My Grandfather lost a lung to cancer. About a year or two later he was diagnosed with cancer in the other lung, the throat, and the mouth. He chose the shotgun as an alternative to a slow agonizing death from cancer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Lost my mom in January.  Life is really empty now.

Kirk
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#27]
My Grandpa to lung cancer 20+ years ago (he smoked for 60 years)
Close friend to Brain tumor
Friends Dad is in remission, brain tumor

Hope your Mom recovers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Father to colon cancer in 1977.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had 3 aunts and a very good friend die from colon cancer. It runs in the family. I don't know what I'm gonna die from but I do know what I'm not gonna die from. COLON CANCER. It is one of the easiest cured if detected early. I have a colonoscopy every 2 years. It aint fun but it's better then colon cancer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#31]
My dad passed on July,4th,2003 , lung cancer , got to spend several days with him before he died, learned more about him in those last few days than I did Living at Home !!

At least he went out with a BANG
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Lost my Dad to pancreatic cancer 3 years ago on July 7th...crushed me to watch such a strong man wither away. I will never get over it. He was VALIANT to the end. The greatest man I ever knew. I am but a shadow of him.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Pops 1986

Wish he could have stayed around to see his Grandkids grow

Now I pray I can see mine grow.

GM
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#34]
at least 20 or 30 of my dads's friends died from lung cancer or other types of cancer and my dad still smokes at least two packs a day! smoking for over 70 years!

after seeing that I wonder why anybody would contaminate their body like that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:29:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Pops 1986

Wish he could have stayed around to see his Grandkids grow

Now I pray I can see mine grow.

GM

Same here, my father fought cancer for two years and passed away in 86.  I was only 17 at the time and he never got to meet his grand children.

There's many times I wish he were here...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve lost 3-4 family members on my mother’s side to cancer. No immediate family members though. One of my mother’s sisters that died, my aunt Rose, was probably the best, kindest, most loving, considerate, and thoughtful person I’ve ever met, and was even beautiful to boot. She died from liver cancer after taking fertility drugs.

She and her husband just wanted to have a baby and were having a lot of trouble conceiving. She even opened up a day care center to be closer to children. All she wanted was a baby and instead she winds up with cancer, struggles with life, and dies. Now on a personal note, this is one of the more prominent reasons that makes me agnostic. She was a god loving devout Christian woman as was most of her family. No matter how much praying they did, it did not save her in the end.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#37]
My birth mom had cancer and was in a coma a month before I was born, she died 9 days after my birth. My adopted dad died from cancer alittle over 3 years ago. Cancer sucks.

P.S.
I also have found out that alot of my aunts on my birth mothers side of the family have had or have died from cancer and my Uncle Bernnard (birth moms brother) is dying from cancer too. Seems like her side of the family is getting hit real hard. Also, my birth father had sugery for colon cancer a number of years ago. All of my Birth Relitives live in or around Harriman or Oak Ridge Tennessee, wonder if there's a connection??
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#38]
What really sucks is that as you age you get into the range where all your friends start dying from cancer as well as your relatives.  I have too many examples to post.

What gets scary is the family ties to the thing.  Except for one great uncle killed in a tractor accident,  ALL of my wife's relatives have died from cancer.  We're going to the doc on Thursday to have another Basil cell tumor removed from her scalp.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#39]
My dad
6/26/1935-5/10/2000
Prostate cancer

My mom
10/28/1944-10/19/2003
Breast cancer

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My dad
6/26/1935-5/10/2000
Prostate cancer

My mom
10/28/1944-10/19/2003
Breast cancer

Both must be fresh in your mind still
My sympathies
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#42]
None, but I was diagnosed with it in college and am alive and well 10 years afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I had an Aunt die from it, she had a long painful time of it. It seems so common now.. Heart disease is a more genetically linked problem in my family though. I`m sorry to hear of everyones losses, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Lost my mom in January.  Life is really empty now.

Kirk

Time really does help, at least with me it has. You will only begin to remeber the things that matter.
Sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I would like to extend my condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one to cancer. My mother lost a five year fight in 2001.

My wife is an oncology nurse - and to be honest with you, I don't know how she does it...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Mom.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#47]
 I lost an aunt, an uncle, my grandpa, and almost my mom.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Lost my Mom 10 yrs ago breast cancer.
Grandmother
3 Aunts
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Grandfather, 1986
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Mother in law -- 1990, lung cancer, age 49
Aunt -- 1993, jaw cancer, age 70
Grandfather -- 1973, lung cancer, age 50
Grandfather -- 1970, mouth cancer, age 55
Grandmother -- 1919, lymphoma, age 26

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top