Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I suggest to stop arguing with the guy that has openly admitted to sponsoring an Afghan "interpreter" to move over here, such people are broken in the mind and there's no reasoning with them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Making things up again.  I can give you three things that will stop your drone superweapon.

Camoflage net. Chicken wire or hurricane fencing. (Worked quite well in Vietnam.)

For a moving vehicle, slat armor.

Just for entertainment value, watch the video above. Did the tree set off the warhead on the second one?  

View Quote

So what?  Do you understand the concept of ROI and how little these cost with regard to the potential effects they bring to the table?  The Ukrainians turned the 1980's TU-141 reconnaissance drone into a 1000km loitering munition with a 300lb warhead.  A lot of them crash before they pass the FLOT, because they clip trees or power lines before they get to altitude.  The ones that don't crash have attacked targets 30 miles from Moscow. I would call that a win.

What do you think the cost ratio for one BMP is to these drones?  Assuming a low end cost of $300K for a clapped out BMP, what's the ratio of drones to BMPs?  let's assume a high end of $1500 per drone, that's still a 200:1 ratio drones to BMP.  So if they take out one BMP and miss 199 times they are even on their investment.  One Javelin missile is $200K by itself.

What changes when they take out one high end radar or missile system?

Even the one that missed in the video gave actionable intelligence from a remote ISR platform on enemy systems which provided tactical value well commensurate with the cost of a one way drone.

But let's get into your infallible mitigators.

A camouflaged net cannot be used while the vehicle is in motion. It also will only work if it is supported off of the vehicle creating standoff, meaning the vehicle is now immobile and requires it to be taken down to displace. Or it just works once and gets left behind.   Now just the threat of a drone attack has made the vehicle less mobile which reduces Russian capabilities and decision space for planning , and also makes them easier to attack with more conventional methods.  Something this small can also be maneuvered into small spaces in between barriers.

I'm glad you brought up slat armor. Slat armor cannot 100% envelop the entire vehicle and small agile man-in-the-loop aircraft like this are where you can still attack a vehicle with slat armor.  Forcing the enemy to devote resources to installing slat armor on every vehicle because of this threat is a net positive effect in itself.  In fact, creating a forcing function that alters the enemy's TTP's, resourcing, or OODA loop is a win in itself.

So like I said, i'll just call the Uke's and tell them our resident expert-by-osmosis JIA says it's all not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Let me quote myself.  A quote I might add, you already responded to and now ignore.

Quoted:
I have no problem with the drone picking the thing up, I do have an issue with the feasibility of balancing the load and impacting the target in the correct orientation.

And the salient point

I think there will be lots of impacts, but very few kills.

I can give you three things that will stop your drone superweapon.

Camoflage net. Chicken wire or hurricane fencing. (Worked quite well in Vietnam.)

For a moving vehicle, slat armor.

Just for entertainment value, watch the video above. Did the tree set off the warhead on the second one?  

View Quote
Those warheads had the normal PIBD fuzes removed, so likely put sone thought into those issues, for example they probably aren't vulnerable to slat armor disrupting the circuit.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

faded sun still believes

and ya, sure they have 50,000 RPG rounds much less 50,000 drones
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

Those are not getting off the ground.

faded sun still believes

It would be easier to make 50,000 drones than 50,000 RPG rounds.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, and yes No and No.  Do you understand how an RPG warhead works?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you see how the warheads are mounted?

Do you understand how a drone flies?

Yes, and yes No and No.  Do you understand how an RPG warhead works?

FIFY. And, my guess is you have no idea how an RPG warhead works, either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I suggest to stop arguing with the guy that has openly admitted to sponsoring an Afghan "interpreter" to move over here, such people are broken in the mind and there's no reasoning with them.
View Quote

Who would that be?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Holy sh*t.  500 lbs carries a person but for how long?  Recharge time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't built a quad in like like 3 or 4 years but when I built my last one, there were probably a couple dozen companies making quad motor flight controller boards and many, many more making brushless motors and ESCs. I can only imagine that has gone up by now. Everything in this hobby is modular and made to work with everything else, regardless of manufacturer. Most of them also are designed to work with one of the free, open-source firmwares like Betaflight, Emuflight, Butterflight, etc. You can connect these components together to build the full electronics suite for any type of drone you want. These drones range in size from as large as your thumb to drones you'd have a hard time fitting into a pickup truck bed.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/0f/71/bc0f71e6237d7e17aa9f198caabd4f03.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KhMnJ-7_JEk/maxresdefault.jpg

Holy sh*t.  500 lbs carries a person but for how long?  Recharge time?

That drone is unlikely to carry 500lbs. What payload it does have it can't carry it very far and not very long. The recharge time would probably be 2 hours or so since you have to let the batteries cool down after attempting to haul max payload.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No way those drones have the ability to lift those warheads. I design and build the damn things

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/D6FC2D8F-9B87-47EB-B616-69227883BAB4_jpe-2760125.JPG

This would lift a few of those for sure!

View Quote

I've designed, built, and flown over a dozen drones from scratch and modified dozens of others over the last 20 years. The drones in the OP can easily lift 2-2.5lbs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:16:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm not a Dr, but those drones ain't picking up that.
View Quote

It's not a question of where he grips it, it's a simple question of weight ratios.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's nice.  It was built out of desperation. That's some operational requirement, alright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, it's almost as if this was built from an operational requirement versus for fun.  From your previous posting history we can extrapolate you have zero functional understanding of the development of armed drones over the past 15 years or so, and the changes to the battlefield they have forced.  They have taken ordnance that normally requires either maneuver and risk, or a third party spotter assuming risk, and turned it into a NLOS capability able to executed by a single person with standoff.  They still direct fire the weapons, they now also do it remotely via drones.

You might want to do some reading before you speak although we know you won't, it's been suggested many times.

That's nice.  It was built out of desperation. That's some operational requirement, alright.

That's an operational requirement that has actual meaning vs one that is made up based on a lot of guesswork about the future.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've designed, built, and flown over a dozen drones from scratch and modified dozens of others over the last 20 years. The drones in the OP can easily lift 2-2.5lbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way those drones have the ability to lift those warheads. I design and build the damn things

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/D6FC2D8F-9B87-47EB-B616-69227883BAB4_jpe-2760125.JPG

This would lift a few of those for sure!

ETA: At least you were clever enough to use a hex instead of a quad. Much better ability to deal with a broken prop or futzed motor controller. (Have had both happen.)
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@daemon734

How effective would you say domestically produced Ukrainian drones like ram ii, punisher, etc. are? It's something I've been curious about for a while. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Effectiveness is subjective. With that said the specifics on those systems I would have to dig through OSINT stuff to ensure I'm not cross-pollinating stuff I got elsewhere.  The easy answer is the Ukrainians adding any organic depth to their systems is a tremendous positive.

The reality is that the aggregate volume of the drone threat in general is what is shaping the effects on the battlefield.  It's forcing an arms race into countermeasures and who can develop the most effective combined arms integration of the technology.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FIFY. And, my guess is you have no idea how an RPG warhead works, either.
View Quote

I'm still waiting on him to tell me how an RPG warhead works.

I'll even settle for how it could even potentially work in this configuration.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who did that?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Effectiveness is subjective. With that said the specifics on those systems I would have to dig through OSINT stuff to ensure I'm not cross-pollinating stuff I got elsewhere.  The easy answer is the Ukrainians adding any organic depth to their systems is a tremendous positive.

The reality is that the aggregate volume of the drone threat in general is what is shaping the effects on the battlefield.  It's forcing an arms race into countermeasures and who can develop the most effective combined arms integration of the technology.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@daemon734

How effective would you say domestically produced Ukrainian drones like ram ii, punisher, etc. are? It's something I've been curious about for a while. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your persistence. It is mind numbing to read the other guy relentlessly pound his made up opinion against SMEs. Drones are a new dimension to large scale war we are witnessing on near real time feeds. It is a great opportunity to learn from you guys that know drones and related munitions.

I was wondering what type of munition do US drones use? I imagine they are purpose built and not using 40mm or other cobbled together warhead?  Ukraine is doing great with what it has but curious what a tech country like us are doing with drones, especially the smaller ones beyond just recon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who did that?
View Quote

He probably means me, although I didn't "sponsor" shit. I helped the family of a US citizen interpreter of mine get on a plane out of HKIA.  That plane actually went to Dubai.

He's just too chickenshit to actually name names.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you for your persistence. It is mind numbing to read the other guy relentlessly pound his made up opinion against SMEs. Drones are a new dimension to large scale war we are witnessing on near real time feeds. It is a great opportunity to learn from you guys that know drones and related munitions.

I was wondering what type of munition do US drones use? I imagine they are purpose built and not using 40mm or other cobbled together warhead?  Ukraine is doing great with what it has but curious what a tech country like us are doing with drones, especially the smaller ones beyond just recon.
View Quote

Being an asymmetric weapon first world nations have avoided development in the armed group 1-3 arena, to our detriment. That is, until very recently.

In the next few years we'll probably see a lot of systems compete and rise/fall.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread a been a veritable smorgasbord of Willfull Ignorance.  

I’m going to have to @ every one of the Fake Shit Bois every time we get another video of these drones in action.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This thread a been a veritable smorgasbord of Willfull Ignorance.  

I’m going to have to @ every one of the Fake Shit Bois every time we get another video of these drones in action.
View Quote

There are even Rooskie attacking drone videos, if they refuse to believe it because most are coming from Ukraine. Twitter, Telegram links, Reddit, YouTube, a ton of drone videos. Some include the observer drone video of the FPV drone hitting an armor target.

Even the F1 grenade drops that bounce off armor often scare the tank/IFV driver and they boogie not waiting around for arty or another drone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#20]
A couple of questions for those in the know:

Will an rpg stop a tank?  My assumption would be no, unless you hit a track or something on the outside needed to move.  I would think the armor would protect against a run of the mill rpg.

#2. Do those rpgs need to have some momentum behind them to help with penetration?  Not activation but penetration through armor?  Say it is going 30 mph when it hits and detonates.  Is it going to have expected penetration?  I would think that when fired the normal way the impact velocity would be much higher.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
PsyOps..

View Quote

Yep…
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:23:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

Yep…

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
ya...keep the dream alive dude....

Ghost of Kiev will be leading the charge too??
View Quote

No ghost of Kyiv, there is a sergeant mavic, however

How’s the 3 day war, tovarisch?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

faded sun still believes

View Quote

They have no problems getting off the ground, ask the Russian BMP that got hit :)
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Could you imagine being a UkeBot on an anonymous internet forum and feeling the need to white knight endlessly for Lord Z and a corrupt Eastern European country?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Will an rpg stop a tank?  My assumption would be no, unless you hit a track or something on the outside needed to move.  I would think the armor would protect against a run of the mill rpg.

Yes. It can, especially dropped vetically**
#2. Do those rpgs need to have some momentum behind them to help with penetration?  Not activation but penetration through armor?  Say it is going 30 mph when it hits and detonates.  Is it going to have expected penetration?  I would think that when fired the normal way the impact velocity would be much higher.
View Quote

They work just fine when used with drones. As for the mechanism of the fuse, that’s daemon’s area. I just like and hate watching armor get blown up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Could you imagine being a UkeBot on an anonymous internet forum and feeling the need to white knight endlessly for Lord Z and a corrupt Eastern European country?
View Quote

I can imagine a technical discussion about the capabilities of improvised weapons devolving into a bunch of poop slinging gremlins bitching about politics when there's a crazy ass war to be observed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends….

Is it a European drone
Or
an African drone

Hint: it involves coconuts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Depends….

Is it a European drone
Or
an African drone

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends….

Is it a European drone
Or
an African drone

Fully laden?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PsyOps..

View Quote

Plus, the physics of how a HEAT round works isn't simply crashing a RPG round at low speed against a tank.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Drone swarms are an up and coming thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ya...keep the dream alive dude....

Ghost of Kiev will be leading the charge too??

Sgt. Mavic! lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Next up in 21st century weapons development is an intercontinental drone delivery vehicle that drops a million drones over major cities with an explosive charge of one ounce and a thermal seeker with proximity fuzing.  Regular Terminator level warfare is where we’re headed. All we need now is AI directed ISSR and AI C2. Great.
View Quote

Bat bombs were the beginning, now we will have bat drones that won't burn down friendly buildings.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This discussion is about the viability of using FPV drones to attack with RPG warheads.

Only mouth breathers try to deny all the observable fact evidence of their use and/or try to turn it into "white knight endlessly for Lord Z and a corrupt Eastern European country" or other non related BS.  

They all should be ashamed of themselves but apparently do not because its "an anonymous internet forum".
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Plus, the physics of how a HEAT round works isn't simply crashing a RPG round at low speed against a tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

Wat

God damn.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#36]
daemon, don't let the obtuse bastards get ya down.

I really appreciate your posts in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

In this thread, numerous members here have demonstrated their willful ignorance and willingness to maintain their positions even in the face of direct evidence that contradicts them. It's been very enlightening, and not at all in a good way. Many on the right have proven themselves to be just as resistant to facts and observable reality as the left is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In this thread, numerous members here have demonstrated their willful ignorance and willingness to maintain their positions even in the face of direct evidence that contradicts them. It's been very enlightening, and not at all in a good way. Many on the right have proven themselves to be just as resistant to facts and observable reality as the left is.
View Quote
This thread has been both enlightening and disheartening.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't make a hatch thick enough to stop an RPG, yet light enough to be lifted by the crew.

The speed only needs to be high enough to crush the cap and connect the current.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You can't make a hatch thick enough to stop an RPG, yet light enough to be lifted by the crew.

The speed only needs to be high enough to crush the cap and connect the current.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Not necessarily.  If they've pulled the rocket motor off, and removed the delay self-destruct element, they can electrically detonate the explosives from behind.  That's what they appear to be doing here.

There are advantages to this, since that way cage / bar armor  can't break the PIBD piezoelectric circuit.

In other words, the speed can be zero at detonation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good summary. Maybe we need a UKR sub or a Drone sub, but then GD would loose it's entertainment and time suck value

Hey, back on the original topic -- do we know if UKR is really stockpiling a huge number (10s of thousands) of these drones to use in the predicted, upcoming counter-offensive (Brads, Challengers, Leopards, oh my) that will either be East or South towards Crimea?

Any info or bets on that?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not necessarily.  If they've pulled the rocket motor off, and removed the delay self-destruct element, they can electrically detonate the explosives from behind.  That's what they appear to be doing here.

There are advantages to this, since that way cage / bar armor  can't break the PIBD piezoelectric circuit.

In other words, the speed can be zero at detonation.
View Quote

The real advantages are the reduction in weight due to removing the base detonating element, and an electric firing circuit means a safe to arm mechanism controlled by the pilot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Imagine weak attempts to thread-slide… forever.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#44]
It'd be great if they're stockpiling them prior to the counter offense. They have like 1000 drone operators so it won't be 100,000 all at once.  Plus you want reserves of them. Don't want to have 0 attack drones in your inventory after day 1.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

Oorrrrllllyyyyyyy

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/03/chrome-capture-2023-2-13-1.gif

Lol yup. Bunch of fpv drones have been RPGing the Russians.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's not a question of where he grips it, it's a simple question of weight ratios.
View Quote

Perhaps two drones could carry it suspended by a rope
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

RPGs have EFP warheads, the top armor on tanks is thinner.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

RPGs have EFP warheads, the top armor on tanks is thinner.
View Quote

A PG 7, 9 or 15 does not have an EFP warhead. 99% of RPGs do not have EFP's.  They have HEAT warheads, which are significantly different.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

LoL.    Another.   .    Ok boss, go ahead and explain to us the “physics of how a HEAT round works.”

We want to learn.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right, the warhead can be fired without crashing it at all.

Speed has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top