Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'd be great if they're stockpiling them prior to the counter offense. They have like 1000 drone operators so it won't be 100,000 all at once.  Plus you want reserves of them. Don't want to have 0 attack drones in your inventory after day 1.
View Quote

A couple of drone operators could go through a ton in a day.
Couple minute flight each.

And if they have autopilot they could be flown close and staged to attack in succession.

And if they could sneak some across into Crimea on could have real fun with the naval base...
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
GD MISSION:
DENY DRONES CARRYING EXPLOSIVES EXIST

HOW?
ARGUE CONSTANTLY AND DISTRACT FROM ANY DISCUSSION ON HOW TO FIGHT BACK

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I suggest to stop arguing with the guy that has openly admitted to sponsoring an Afghan "interpreter" to move over here, such people are broken in the mind and there's no reasoning with them.
View Quote

Why? One of the most shortsighted things Biden did was leave our people to the wolves.

Did you never form a bond with the guys you fought alongside?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why? One of the most shortsighted things Biden did was leave our people to the wolves.

View Quote

The only fighting hes seen has been in GD.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, the more I look at the pictures, the less sure I am that's an RPG-7 warhead.  

I'm thinking they're actually PG-9s  or PG-15s , which makes even more sense, since an SPG-9 is a pretty unwieldy weapon at this point.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I was wrong
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was wrong
View Quote

Excuse me sir, this is GD. We don't do that here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly, the more I look at the pictures, the less sure I am that's an RPG-7 warhead.  

I'm thinking they're actually PG-9s  or PG-15s , which makes even more sense, since an SPG-9 is a pretty unwieldy weapon at this point.

View Quote

It is a 9 or 15, but the 7M is the same warhead anyway.

Thry can be fired out of the BMP-1 gun as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suggest to stop arguing with the guy that has openly admitted to sponsoring an Afghan "interpreter" to move over here, such people are broken in the mind and there's no reasoning with them.

It's fucking dumb. I was pretty upset hearing about Afghans that fought by our guys were being blocked from coming here. Who would ever want to fight alongside Americans if they throw their friends under the bus. Fucking dumb as hell short sightedness.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hell I just printed this FPV drone frame yesterday. Gotta buy the other components though

https://i.ibb.co/xY2W1WT/825-F5635-7-D4-B-46-D4-92-E3-A0-BA5-A5-B9-DA5.jpg
View Quote

They're fun to build.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This has been a Great thread for smoking out the demoralized, low information, "Everything is Fake fake as fuck" bois.    

It's an amazing phenomenon.

Is anyone else as shocked by this as I am?
Russian propaganda has been Highly effective
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

Those are not getting off the ground.

This. No way those little drones in that pic are hauling that big ass bomb anywhere even if it is hollow.  Maybe another drone but imho that pic is faked.

This has been a Great thread for smoking out the demoralized, low information, "Everything is Fake fake as fuck" bois.    

It's an amazing phenomenon.

Is anyone else as shocked by this as I am?
Russian propaganda has been Highly effective

Clown world where nothing is real because *Fill in the blank* is President, not the guy I voted for. It's pathetic we are doing the same stupid shit as we got angry at Libs over.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

RPGs have EFP warheads, the top armor on tanks is thinner.
View Quote

I expected a Russophile to get it wrong
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What about it?

Both sides are pumping out all the EW they can, but the front line is long, the variety of drones is huge, the inverse square law is always in play and radiating jammers will be located quickly.

EW can work, but it isn't magic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless those were beer can thick aluminium dummies.

What about jamming?

What about it?

Both sides are pumping out all the EW they can, but the front line is long, the variety of drones is huge, the inverse square law is always in play and radiating jammers will be located quickly.

EW can work, but it isn't magic.
"Ve vill beet da Amehrikans vith our supah stronk elektronik varfere sistems".

It makes me so happy to see the Russians invested in EW per capital than anyone else, I believe. And it's being overcome with modified commercial drones.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for chiming in. It actually makes sense that there would be piles of SPG-9 and BMP ammo that could be better used on FPV drones.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Point out where anything I said was wrong instead of throwing insults.  As for knowing about them, none of the cheerleaders of the drone superweapon know a damn thing about them either.  Are you going to bitch at them too?
View Quote

There are obviously a lot of people making arguments both ways who don't have much knowledge about drones (or RPGs for that matter) but there are quite a few who do. There has also been plenty of technical, referenced data on the subject backing up the easily verifiable fact that a 5" or 6" FPV quad drone can easily carry an RPG warhead. You're kind of showing your ass here by ignoring that.

Here is the spec sheet for a popular motor used in drones like the ones in the pic on the first page with the RPGs attached:

https://uav-en.tmotor.com/2023/Motor_0301/853.html

Don't forget, there are 4 motors on a quad.

It's been repeatedly stated (and easily verifiable) that the warhead portion of an RPG is about 2 lbs. Now why in your mind wouldn't it work? Lets hear your reasoning.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Ve vill beet da Amehrikans vith our supah stronk elektronik varfere sistems".

It makes me so happy to see the Russians invested in EW per capital than anyone else, I believe. And it's being overcome with modified commercial drones.

View Quote

The Soviets/Russians developed a lot of really fascinating EW equipment and capabilities, with a much more extensive ground vehicle component then what I'm aware of NATO forces having. They then left a lot of that stuff, pristine, as they've been forced to retreat. The latest and greatest Russian jammers, passive radar, crypto, satellite comms terminals etc. all now in NATO hands. Whatever advantages or surprises they had are now being negated. In short order US jammers will be upgraded to exploit that information and Growlers will just rape Russian electronic everything..

Russia EW capabilities aren't worthless against Ukraine,and they're still fighting the fight. It's surprising that they couldn't figure out how to deconflict with their own forces, or protect the ew assets better.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Soviets/Russians developed a lot of really fascinating EW equipment and capabilities, with a much more extensive ground vehicle component then what I'm aware of NATO forces having. They then left a lot of that stuff, pristine, as they've been forced to retreat. The latest and greatest Russian jammers, passive radar, crypto, satellite comms terminals etc. all now in NATO hands. Whatever advantages or surprises they had are now being negated. In short order US jammers will be upgraded to exploit that information and Growlers will just rape Russian electronic everything..

Russia EW capabilities aren't worthless against Ukraine,and they're still fighting the fight. It's surprising that they couldn't figure out how to deconflict with their own forces, or protect the ew assets better.
View Quote

Yeah, I've been informed in the past by people with actual knowledge on this stuff who are serving or have served. It does work. However Ukraine are Drone veterans,  they've been doing this since 2014 and have tactics and everything formed into how and where they're used. Russia on the other hand doesn't have any of that almost decades long of drone combat experience. So they're way behind, and is part of why you hardly see any Russian drone drop videos.

I was sorta just making fun of the Russians, and be hyperbolic.

But it is a fact that they've taken out a bunch of Russian real expensive EW equipment with these things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The absolutely staggering incompetence and stupidity of GD never ceases to amaze me.
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There are obviously a lot of people making arguments both ways who don't have much knowledge about drones (or RPGs for that matter) but there are quite a few who do. There has also been plenty of technical, referenced data on the subject backing up the easily verifiable fact that a 5" or 6" FPV quad drone can easily carry an RPG warhead. You're kind of showing your ass here by ignoring that.

Here is the spec sheet for a popular motor used in drones like the ones in the pic on the first page with the RPGs attached:

It's been repeatedly stated (and easily verifiable) that the warhead portion of an RPG is about 2 lbs. Now why in your mind wouldn't it work? Lets hear your reasoning.

View Quote

You are being politer to him than he deserves at this point.  For that I tip my hat.

He has been Don Quixote'ing that drone windmill way too hard with a much higher devotion to his ego than sincerity.  It's getting absurd which is sadly about normal it seems.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Drone pilots stand up!!!  It's Orc killing time!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell I just printed this FPV drone frame yesterday. Gotta buy the other components though

https://i.ibb.co/xY2W1WT/825-F5635-7-D4-B-46-D4-92-E3-A0-BA5-A5-B9-DA5.jpg

They're fun to build.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/203945/quad_stuff_jpg-2760911.JPG

Buddy of mine built a one-off high speed version. Top end was almost 200mph (right before you ran out of battery). I declined to fly that one as the really fast ones just aren't that much fun to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point out where anything I said was wrong instead of throwing insults.  As for knowing about them, none of the cheerleaders of the drone superweapon know a damn thing about them either.  Are you going to bitch at them too?

Keep in mind that you don't actually get 4x the thrust of a single motor on a quad because there has to be some margin for differential throttling to control roll, pitch, and yaw. Still doesn't change the fact that the drones in the OP can hoist 2-2.5lb payloads.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've been informed in the past by people with actual knowledge on this stuff who are serving or have served. It does work. However Ukraine are Drone veterans,  they've been doing this since 2014 and have tactics and everything formed into how and where they're used. Russia on the other hand doesn't have any of that almost decades long of drone combat experience. So they're way behind, and is part of why you hardly see any Russian drone drop videos.

I was sorta just making fun of the Russians, and be hyperbolic.

But it is a fact that they've taken out a bunch of Russian real expensive EW equipment with these things.
View Quote

They're not drone veterans, the tactics and lessons employed by them are going to be used in future war college papers and presentations. They're drone lords.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

China regime is worse and far more of a threat to the US.

I'd rather they not get more powerful then they are now.

View Quote

True, but i'm pointing out a logical deduction. Russia's pathetic attempt to grab land and people is going to cost them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They're not drone veterans, the tactics and lessons employed by them are going to be used in future war college papers and presentations. They're drone lords.

View Quote

While Ukraine's efforts have been innovative, Russia is absolutely smoking them in the drone game regardless of Twitter and Tik Tok videos.  They have China and Iran on their side.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#26]
More propaganda pictures
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

While Ukraine's efforts have been innovative, Russia is absolutely smoking them in the drone game regardless of Twitter and Tik Tok videos.  They have China and Iran on their side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you referencing the longer range and heavier payload drones in that regard?

Hasn’t Ukraine’s increased AD degraded that advantage significantly?  I thought although they can’t protect much against the ballistic missiles until they get more Oatriot or NASAM sites up, they were being very successful on the slower drones.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hasn’t Ukraine’s increased AD degraded that advantage significantly?  I thought although they can’t protect much against the ballistic missiles until they get more Oatriot or NASAM sites up, they were being very successful on the slower drones.
View Quote

Are they successful in shooting them down?  Or is Russia successful in forcing Ukraine to expend million dollar missiles against $20K OWAs?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#29]
With all the AI stuff going on, how long will it take to get AI to write a program that can recognize a Russian tank image and then intentionally ram the drone into it.  This would take the jamming off the table as the drone would be autonomous.  You could even just program it to look for the letter “z” as a target.

If DJI can write a program that follows you down a hill filming while you ride your mountain bike, writing a program to recognize and ram specific vehicles from a library of target images can’t be any harder.  You could even start with manual control and have the drone default to autonomous search and destroy mode if it loses contact with the operator, and return to the take off point and if it doesn’t find a target.

There have to be smart folks out there who could do this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:46:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the long range drones, yes. The Shahed 136 was very effective. Not so much at the moment.

They adapted and overcame.

I think in the shorter range/recon area Ukraine has a lot more options that are better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
More propaganda pictures
View Quote

Oh no, some photos disagree with my beliefs
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In the long range drones, yes. The Shahed 136 was very effective. Not so much at the moment.

They adapted and overcame.

I think in the shorter range/recon area Ukraine has a lot more options that are better.
View Quote

They overcame due to receiving an expensive and extremely finite supply of missiles.  How long do you think they will last?

Even though these drones are functional, the 50k and 100k numbers are most likely complete bullshit.   The small drone fight is pretty intense and fast moving on both sides, Twitter only shows half of it though.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:24:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A PG 7, 9 or 15 does not have an EFP warhead. 99% of RPGs do not have EFP's.  They have HEAT warheads, which are significantly different.
View Quote
HEAT is an efp..

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Are they successful in shooting them down?  Or is Russia successful in forcing Ukraine to expend million dollar missiles against $20K OWAs?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/bb6_jpg-2761384.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/bb6_jpg-2761384.JPG

I don’t know which sizes you are referencing, hence the question.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
With all the AI stuff going on, how long will it take to get AI to write a program that can recognize a Russian tank image and then intentionally ram the drone into it.  This would take the jamming off the table as the drone would be autonomous.  You could even just program it to look for the letter “z” as a target.

If DJI can write a program that follows you down a hill filming while you ride your mountain bike, writing a program to recognize and ram specific vehicles from a library of target images can’t be any harder.  You could even start with manual control and have the drone default to autonomous search and destroy mode if it loses contact with the operator, and return to the take off point and if it doesn’t find a target.

View Quote

There were programs that could recognize Russian tanks by engine sound in the 90s, or so I’ve been told. Today’s image processing could make that dual factor authentication easily.  Wouldn’t even take AI.

TBH I would be surprised if these systems didn’t exist today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#37]

HEAT is not an EFP. They are both shaped charges but not the same.

An EFP uses a significantly shallower curvature of the liner, and they have much different standoff and effective distances.  They function very differently, at its base level EFP uses a slug while HEAT uses a jet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don’t know which sizes you are referencing, hence the question.
View Quote

The Russians are using all groups of UAS, but the assumption due to social media is that they are only successful in the group 2/3 range (lancet and shahed).

This is not true, successes on both sides in the sUAS Group 1 category ebb and flow based on variables that change daily or weekly.

However the Shahed problem is a major issue for Ukraine even if they shoot them all down.  Its designed for that type of attrition still creating a positive outcome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Already being done as far as I know.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Plus, the physics of how a HEAT round works isn't simply crashing a RPG round at low speed against a tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

Plus, the physics of how a HEAT round works isn't simply crashing a RPG round at low speed against a tank.
Please Mr. Science - tell me more about how a HEAT round works.

Straight from a low-effort search of Wikipedia:

"Since velocity has little effect on the armor-piercing ability of the round, which is defined by explosive power, HEAT rounds were particularly useful in long-range combat where slower terminal velocity was not an issue."
Source - HEAT on Wikipedia

More low-effort searching shows - "The the tip of the metal jet produced by the Monroe effect is moving at 7 - 14 kilometers per *second*."
Source - Shaped charge on Wikipedia

The difference in forward velocity produced by a RPG rocket or a drone is irrelevant.  That 30 kilometers per hour is fuck all of the combined meeting velocity.
Source - my degrees in solid state physics and chemistry.  Plus high school algebra, a calculator, and the slightest smidgen of common sense.

For the love of God, Buddha, or **insert deity of choice** please do a minimal amount of actual research before you post.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Double tap . . .
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Please Mr. Science - tell me more about how a HEAT round works!

"Since velocity has little effect on the armor-piercing ability of the round, which is defined by explosive power, HEAT rounds were particularly useful in long-range combat where slower terminal velocity was not an issue."

More low-effort searching shows - "The the tip of the metal jet produced by the Monroe effect is moving at 7,000 - 14,000 kilometers per *second*."

The difference in forward velocity produced by a RPG rocket or a drone is irrelevant.  That 30 kilometers per hour (.008 k/sec) is less than .000119% of the combined meeting velocity.
Source - my degrees in solid state physics and chemistry.  Plus high school algebra, a calculator, and the slightest smidgen of common sense.

For the love of God, Buddha, or **insert deity of choice** please do a minimal amount of actual research before you post.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

More low-effort searching shows - "The the tip of the metal jet produced by the Monroe effect is moving at 7,000 - 14,000 kilometers per *second*."

The difference in forward velocity produced by a RPG rocket or a drone is irrelevant.  That 30 kilometers per hour (.008 k/sec) is less than .000119% of the combined meeting velocity.

Meters, not kilometers.

It's still fast as hell though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Meters, not kilometers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PsyOps..

Meters, not kilometers.

Fixed. Thanks for the catch!

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They overcame due to receiving an expensive and extremely finite supply of missiles.  How long do you think they will last?

Even though these drones are functional, the 50k and 100k numbers are most likely complete bullshit.   The small drone fight is pretty intense and fast moving on both sides, Twitter only shows half of it though.

View Quote

I do believe they've been shooting down many of those Iranian drones with Gepards, small arms and such. I heard that they're not mass producible in Iran, they're basically making them by hand. The rumor is Iran is almost out of them.

But yeah, it is bad to trade a S-300 missile for one if these dumb drones. Russia has the same problem though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I do believe they've been shooting down many of those Iranian drones with Gepards, small arms and such. I heard that they're not mass producible in Iran, they're basically making them by hand. The rumor is Iran is almost out of them.

But yeah, it is bad to trade a S-300 missile for one if these dumb drones. Russia has the same problem though.
View Quote

Sorry, but most of this is false.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm not a Dr, but those drones ain't picking up that.
View Quote

You wouldn’t believe how much thrust those props put out…. And it doesn’t have to fly for long.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sure those drones won't have any issues carrying those RPG warheads.............

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
View Quote

Go watch some YT videos of racing quads in action.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#48]

No it is not.

A HEAT round creates a molten jet from the copper liner that uses high temperature plasma to melt a hole through armor.  It is roughly capable of conservatively penetrating 10-12 times its diameter.

An EFP, or explosively formed projectile, uses the liner to create  a lug, or mini cannonball if you will.  It is much less efficient, maybe 1-2 ties its diameter.

What is noteworthy about an EFP is you could set it by the side of  the road and it explodes, basically firing a golfball sized projectile into the sides of vehicles.

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1636388484880683014
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Buddy of mine built a one-off high speed version. Top end was almost 200mph (right before you ran out of battery). I declined to fly that one as the really fast ones just aren't that much fun to me.
View Quote

Wow. Quads have really come a long way over the past few years.  It wasn't all that long ago the Guinness record for a racing drone was ~180 mph. I guess the current record is at 224 mph.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Let's throw some actual math out here.

The motors in the pic in the OP aren't recognizable to me, but I can ballpark it based on a few things. The battery straps they're using look to be sized for 6S batteries. When building a 5" freestyle FPV quad, I'd go with ~1800KV motors if I were running 6S. Obviously that's not optimized for payload, but that range is super common, and they're likely basing their designs on available components, not efficiency. For some context, the 5" freestyle quad on my desk at the moment is pushing 24V at 70A to four Velox 2207 1950KV motors and rather aggressive 5150 props - I built it to be very fast and nimble, at the cost of endurance.

Anyhow, here's the spec sheet for a common 1800KV motor:

Click To View Spoiler

According to that, assuming you're pushing adequate power to the motor and using 5050 props, you get 1.613kg of thrust from one motor. Multiply by four and you have 6.452 kg of thrust - ~14.2 pounds.

Assuming a (rather conservative) estimate of maintaining a 3:1 TWR for adequate maneuverability, you're still looking at being able to lift ~4.73 pounds.

Then consider that they don't mind burning those motors up or running their batteries into the ground... there is absolutely no reason to think a typical 6S 5" quad wouldn't be perfectly capable of carrying an RPG warhead.

Hell - given that the TWR of the quad on my desk is 11:1 (!!!), I could probably strap one to it and fly it into a fucking Hind mid-air.
Page / 10
Top Top