Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 8/8/2015 11:51:47 PM EDT
My mom recently purchased a home here in Texas. The house included a 30x40 shop. They closed on the house two weeks ago. The sellers has yet to remove all items in said shop as in it is full. We can't even get in because the seller took the dead bolt key and has yet to return.

Question is by law how long does he have to completely remove his belongings?

This guy is telling her it could be 3-4 weeks before he could empty it. And he is saying we don't need the key to it since we have nothing in it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My mom recently purchased a home here in Texas. The house included a 30x40 shop. They closed on the house two weeks ago. The sellers has yet to remove all items in said shop as in it is full. We can't even get in because the seller took the dead bolt key and has yet to return.

This guy is telling her it could be 3-4 weeks before he could empty it. And he is saying we don't need the key to it since we have nothing in it.

View Quote

Time to drill that lock and have a yard sell unless it was agreed upon before closing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
bolt cutters
ebay/Craigslist
profit

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
not sure about texas, but up here when you close and the keys change hands, that shit is yours, and anything left in it you can sue to have them remove it, or accept it as a gift, or haul it to the dump etc.  That shit certainly isnt theirs anymore.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's fucked up. Your moms now owns the property. I would assume that includes all items left there. Break the licks and replace with your own. Unless there was a lease back clause in the contract. I just bought a home and the previous owner left a ton of shit here too

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless arrangements were made, last owner could be SOL if the new owners really wanted to push it.

Personally, the last owner would be paying me a decent storage fee if they want to be dicks about it because I'd pop their locks and replace it with mine if they were playing 'free storage'' games with me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Time to drill that lock and have a yard sell unless it was agreed upon before closing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want a war, listen to above
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, where in Texas are you? Close to DFW? can I come look, maybe I can take some of the stuff off your hands?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
What was decided on it during closing?
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you should have vacated the property before OP's mom closed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What was decided on it during closing?
View Quote

Typically it is covered in the contract.

I have seen people forget about hidden guns in furniture, jewelry, and even cash left behind.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Check your local laws.  In most cases anything left behind is now the property of the new owner. Unless there is a written agreement at the time of purchase more than likely you can tell the previous owner to get fucked.

That being said, I'd give him a deadline and stick to it.  Have his shit out by the deadline or you'll take care of it and he can pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#13]
What's really shitty is they wanted to push closing early so they could move. Mom being the nice lady she is said he could have 10 days. Will have to read her contact to see what's is writing. Guy ran a gun shop out of the shop and had two huge safes that he sold to me so I technically have items of mine in there.

I'm pushing my mom be more pushy to get him ass the fuck out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#14]
As far as I know, anything left on the property when the sale of said property is completed is now the new owners and they can do with it as they see fit unless it was specifically referenced in the closing docs both party signs.

Time to go treasure hunting OP!  Dibs on 1 gold bar if you find any.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't want to be in possession of that unknown stuff without some paperwork.
Does your mom have a plan to explain twenty bales of Mexico's finest on her land?

ETA: On the curb is leagal for evicted stuff everywhere I've been.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

What did the sales agreement say?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Unless there was a lease back clause in the contract.

View Quote

This..

Well OP? Was there an agreement in the contract?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#18]
By law it's probable yours unless there are prior written agreements. But do the right thing and send them a certified letter detailing when they have to have it off YOUR property and what will happen to it they don't.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I am in agreement that once you close, that place is YOURS. Seller is now absolutely trespassing to even try and come back without your permission. I agree selling their stuff off hastily is recipe for a headache, but I would absolutely pop locks and go in. Its her house now. Not theirs. That's what closing is. Seller has already gotten money. Mom is now paying bank for it. Its hers. I'd be thrilled to find something of value left behind after closing because I'd be looking forward to keeping what I needed and selling the rest personally.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's really shitty is they wanted to push closing early so they could move. Mom being the nice lady she is said he could have 10 days. Will have to read her contact to see what's is writing. Guy ran a gun shop out of the shop and had two huge safes that he sold to me so I technically have items of mine in there.

View Quote

Sounds like an Arfcom treasure hunt
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#21]
wonder what his screen name is on here
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Safe thread.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Stand by gents about to read contract. This might get good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:06:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Safe thread
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Safe thread.  
View Quote

He's showed me the insides of both safes. There's definitely guns in both
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:07:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Fuck it in on 1!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Safe thread.  

So he sold you the safes and didnt yet remove guns? Those bastards are yours. I'd keep em.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Safe thread.  
View Quote
yep, this thread just shit the bed.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Closed on a house in Utah 4 months ago.

The sellers literally closed on their new house the day before they closed on the sale of the house to us so everything was a panic.

We did everything from start to finish through our attorney and when we took possession we noticed they left an entire custom upholstered patio set on the upstairs balcony, entire pool patio set by the pool, new pool cleaning equipment (their new house had a pool tool) and other misc stuff like heavy expensive pots/planters, etc you could see that the movers somehow missed or someone was under the impression that someone else was going to take it.

Ironically, they gimped out on professionally cleaning the entire house and pool as per the contract and actually left it a bit of a mess. Spoke to the attorney and he said since we closed, its our stuff and its on our property. If in the goodness of our hearts we could offer to let them get it, but after the stunt they pulled with leaving the place a wreck when they were supposed to have it professionally cleaned and made ready for us, we got some free custom made shit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Have her check the contract. There should be a clause about removal of all personal property prior to the closing and the disposition of any personal property left after the title changes. Like, it belongs to her. If he wants it, he can buy it back.

It's hers. She has the right to enter the property whenever she wants because she owns it and the asshole who sold it to her has the right to pay for the locksmith to open the doors and to pay for the removal and storage of his stuff, subject to liquidation to offset damages he caused, within a reasonable amount of time. She may also file a tort claim because he's denying her access to real property that she owns.

He doesn't like it? He should have turned over the keys and got his stuff out of there before the closing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Safe thread.  
View Quote

Yeah.

What is in the shop OP?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Closed on a house in Utah 4 months ago.

The sellers literally closed on their new house the day before they closed on the sale of the house to us so everything was a panic.

We did everything from start to finish through our attorney and when we took possession we noticed they left an entire custom upholstered patio set on the upstairs balcony, entire pool patio set by the pool, new pool cleaning equipment (their new house had a pool tool) and other misc stuff like heavy expensive pots/planters, etc you could see that the movers somehow missed or someone was under the impression that someone else was going to take it.

Ironically, they gimped out on professionally cleaning the entire house and pool as per the contract and actually left it a bit of a mess. Spoke to the attorney and he said since we closed, its our stuff and its on our property. If in the goodness of our hearts we could offer to let them get it, but after the stunt they pulled with leaving the place a wreck when they were supposed to have it professionally cleaned and made ready for us, we got some free custom made shit.
View Quote
That's more than fair on your part. Hope you came out ahead.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#34]
In on one for a weird form of a safe thread
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#35]
The whole lock thing would infuriate me too. "Don't need in because you don't have stuff in there" ?!

Dude can't be fucking serious. Its HER house. He has no right to keep her out. I'd lose my shit. I would be in there same day and he could go fuck himself. The stuff left behind would be secondary to my access and even then only subject to the goodness of my heart if I felt like letting him have it and if I wanted to avoid a fight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#36]
If there is a Bridgeport in there, I'll buy it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would at least open and make sure I weren't in possession of something illegal

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#38]
unless it says something else in writing all that shit is hers now.  Once the paperwork is signed its your house.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#39]
....fuck it.  been said 12 times now
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to buy/flip properties, have had quite a few finds on stuff left behind.  Once the seller receives payment the property is yours unless agreements were made.  If your mom said 10 days anything beyond that it's up to you/her.  In the interest of being somewhat charitable, I would pick a date and inform the seller that you have plans for the space starting on that date, and request a time to meet and oversee him as he takes what's his.  And watch him like a hawk.  There are rules about what conveys and what doesn't, so he can't go ripping out fans/light fixtures...but boxes of tools etc. are accepted as personal property.  You don't have to do this; you could rightfully curb/sell whatever you wish, but the animosity might not be worth the junk.  It's more likely he won't bother and leave you to clean it up, but I'd give him a chance.

I once found a set of pure silver flatware in an attic dating from the early 1800's.  Another time I removed a cabinet in a kitchen and a stack of 50 100 dollar bills fell out from the space behind it.  I held on to both expecting to be contacted.  Never was.  Still have the flatware, and a nice set of memories from a 5000$ trip to Hawaii.  

I never ceased to be amazed at what people left behind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#41]
What about verbal agreements. Mom says she told him 10 days. Whose to say he says she told him two months? If this gets ugly would a verbal agreement have any power?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Im pretty sure that in just about every state, unless otherwise stated in the contract that everything on the property is now yours once keys exchange hands.

When I got my first house it had a shed and the previous owners were not able to get everything out because the place they were moving into didnt have a shed and it would be 2 weeks before the contractor could get one put in.  So we agreed they could leave it there but charged them a $25/storage fee.  Yeah, it was high but it was an incentive to get them to expidite.  They had 14 days then everything in it bacame mine.  And after they did the math of $25x14....they came and got that shit in 3 days.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Might you consider some way to notify you immediately if former owner enters the property?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yard SALE.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What about verbal agreements. Mom says she told him 10 days. Whose to say he says she told him two months? If this gets ugly would a verbal agreement have any power?
View Quote

Did she say it in front of the title company representatives, or just to him?  If so, I would have minor concern, but ultimately it's he/she said, and law is on your side.
"If u wanted to keep the items you should have removed them prior to transfer of ownership, or addressed the issue in the contract." - any judge anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

She can be nice and contact him, but beyond 10 days it's all hers

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Time for a certified letter spelling out the time frame for removal of the items.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Isn't possession 9/10ths of the law? If it was my parents, we would have busted in to see if they acquired anything cool
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm not big on being told not to access my own property.

That door would be open within ten minutes of the conversation, and he'd get a No Trespass order.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:27:37 AM EDT
[#50]
In
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top