Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Move stuff to storage.  Pay one month.

Let old owner figure out what he needs to do.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a house and the garage came with a 55 gallon drum full of used motor oil.  Luckily it was cheap to get rid of to a company that recycles it for heaters.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about verbal agreements. Mom says she told him 10 days. Whose to say he says she told him two months? If this gets ugly would a verbal agreement have any power?
View Quote

If it turns into just he said she said. Contract should rule which won't have any days and still be your moms
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Time for a certified letter spelling out the time frame for removal of the items.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about verbal agreements. Mom says she told him 10 days. Whose to say he says she told him two months? If this gets ugly would a verbal agreement have any power?

Time for a certified letter spelling out the time frame for removal of the items.

Certified letter with return recipt. They have 3 days to remove. After that $200 per day storage fee. Drill the locks and replace with your own lock that day
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
10 days is what your mom agreed to.  In the mean time, get a lawyer and start asking him/her these questions.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So he sold you the safes and didnt yet remove guns? Those bastards are yours. I'd keep em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Safe thread.  

He's showed me the insides of both safes. There's definitely guns in both

So he sold you the safes and didnt yet remove guns? Those bastards are yours. I'd keep em.

A dude like the OP is talking about might take the safes he sold.  I'd want to be there when shit is moved.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#7]
We had stuff from the previous owner in our shed for a week, after we moved in. I didn't care. He came and got it and that was that.

3-4 weeks is a long time though. But if your mom doesn't care, and feels like being nice, so be it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
What's in there and where are you located?  
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check your local laws.  In most cases anything left behind is now the property of the new owner. Unless there is a written agreement at the time of purchase more than likely you can tell the previous owner to get fucked.

That being said, I'd give him a deadline and stick to it.  Have his shit out by the deadline or you'll take care of it and he can pound sand.
View Quote

I would say this. I would give them a written deadline of 48 hours to get their stuff out. If it's not out then sell what they can to cover the expenses of disposing of what's left.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag for when I can pick stuff up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Anything left behind when you sign on the dotted line is what we understood unless it's somewhere in the contract other wise. I know I left a few odds and ends at the house I sold last year that I just didn't think we'd need and the new owners might. Previous owners of the house we bought left a few things too when they left. If I was feeling nice I'd give the guy a week to gtfo. If I wasn't feeling nice I would put a camera facing the shed, change the locks and have him charged when he broke the new lock to get your moms new stuff he abandoned.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Just closed on my house on the 31st, I'd have been all about getting into any shit they were trying to hold onto and craigslisting anything I didn't want to keep.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:24:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Pop the locks and replace them with your own and record the entire contents on video for the record, then use the place as you wish as it is if you need to regardless of the fact his stuff is in it, it is  your place after all, send him a certified letter stating the fact and stating your intent to take possession of the contents if it is not gone by whatever date, make sure he knows to schedule the time of his arrival with you. You will want to be there to make sure your safes stay put.

Right now a man is making you accommodate him indefinitely because a man is not forcing him too take care of his business and remove his property from your property.

Resolve that shit with certainty. You don't need to feel like a dick or act like one just tell him how it is.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your closing was a written agreement, no verbal contract can supersede a written agreement only a new written contract or written addendum signed by both parties.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Guy I know sold his house and the new house he was moving to had an occupancy permit issue. He paid a healthy sum in rent to the new owners on the house he sold to live there o e more month.

They at least owe your mom rent.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I have no advice but as someone who would kill to have a 30x40 building on my property to play with cars in, that would drive me crazy.

At the very least I would replace the lock, document all the contents and move them to one side so I could get my stuff in there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:18:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Closed and there's still stuff on site?  No written agreement?  A realtor needs to be taco punched.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:21:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Many pics are needed.  If it's in DFW I'll help you clean it out, I'll go pro it like Geraldo in Egypt.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:22:37 AM EDT
[#19]
It's a crappy thing for the guy to do no doubt. But people are crazy, and you selling all his stuff or telling him it's now yours (which it probably is) just might set the guy off, so good luck with your yard sale.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If she said 10 days, honor that, but no more.  I would also put in writing in the form of a registered letter with specific dates mentioned.  Verbal contracts are a bad idea in general.    

As someones else stated, most likely the closing documents / contracts will legally supersede the verbal commitment, but I don't think that is the right thing to do if she committed to 10 days.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#21]
She owns everything.It was part of the sale unless agreed upon via contact prior to close.that's how it worked in our house.  Those items were part of the sale
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#22]
TAG I love a thread that fails to deliver
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:56:06 AM EDT
[#26]
In
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
At the very least, I would cut the locks and do a visual inspection to ensure nothing in there is illegal or hazardous. I would then secure the doors with my own locks, to protect my own property.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn't matter,they closed on the house and left their crap.If there's nothing in the contract saying they could pick it up later it's all her's.

Go drill the lock

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

At the very least, I would cut the locks and do a visual inspection to ensure nothing in there is illegal or hazardous. I would then secure the doors with my own locks, to protect my own property.
View Quote
This and I would move the safes that you bought

ETA I assume that he gave you the combinations to the safes
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#30]
To me it would all depend on the guys attitude. If he gave me a heads up and was being cool about it then I wouldn't mind giving him some time to move his stuff out. If not then it would be made clear that if he wants the items he needs to arrange a set date and time with me so I can be present while he is removing the property.  
You do have the right to deny him permission to come on your property and remove said items. He would have to go the the magistrates office and apply for a 'claim and delivery'. Before the judge signs off on that he has to make a detailed list of the items in the shed and proof of ownership for each item that he claims belongs to him. Most people aren't going to have that documented.

With that said.... Whatever is on my property I am responsible for. If there is a meth lab I didn't know about. And the police get a tip and show up with a warrant and a pair of bolt cutters then I would be the one going to jail. What's inside the shed is absolutely the new property owners business.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Block the doors with spare vehicles to prevent the moving of large items. I would also invest in a trail cam and a dead bolt if it has a door. If it has a garage door, padlock the track right above the roller.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#32]
In most states a verbal contract involving a real estate transaction is not valid. So it really doesn't matter what your mom said about the ten days. The only thing that matters is what's on the sales contract.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#33]
When we closed in June, our contract was explicit that anything in or on the property after closing was now ours.  There was also a written agreement that the seller would remove all his possessions, but the bastard left all kinds of crap here.

Give him 72 hours and then offer to sell it back to him at 50% market price, 60% market price the day after that, etc...
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:52:30 AM EDT
[#34]
TEXAS PROPERTY CODE.  ABANDONED PROPERTY  OF FORMER OWNER.  LOOK IT UP
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#35]
In before the guy isnt charged rent from the OPs mom, takes longer than 10 days to remove items but leaves behind all his trash for mom to clean up.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:57:23 AM EDT
[#36]
How is this not covered in the contract?
When my cousin went to closing he was given until midnight to remove his non-running spare car from the driveway or lose $2K out of the escrow money.

I vote to drill the locks.
You do plan on changing them anyway, right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

How is this not covered in the contract?

When my cousin went to closing he was given until midnight to remove his non-running spare car from the driveway or lose $2K out of the escrow money.

I vote to drill the locks.

You do plan on changing them anyway, right?
View Quote
ALWAYS change the locks!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Time to drill that lock and have a yard sell unless it was agreed upon before closing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My mom recently purchased a home here in Texas. The house included a 30x40 shop. They closed on the house two weeks ago. The sellers has yet to remove all items in said shop as in it is full. We can't even get in because the seller took the dead bolt key and has yet to return.

Question is by law how long does he have to completely remove his belongings?

This guy is telling her it could be 3-4 weeks before he could empty it. And he is saying we don't need the key to it since we have nothing in it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Time to drill that lock and have a yard sell unless it was agreed upon before closing.

Yep, he can sale everything he doesn't need. I love having a yard sell so I can sale shit.

Technically once you close, it's YOUR house. Call him and tell him to come get his shit, or you'll drill the lock and the shit is yours.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#39]
It's your stuff.

If you want to let him have it back, make him take the junk and garbage first.  No cherry picking.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:51:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Change the lock and sell him back his stuff for the storage fee.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I would rub my dick on everything. No matter what happens.....you win.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#42]

If I'm paying taxes on it, it's mine.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Not a lawyer so my only advice and what you should be doing is talking to the closing attorney.  Any agreements should have been in the closing documents.  Contract law is not something to play around with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My mom recently purchased a home here in Texas. The house included a 30x40 shop. They closed on the house two weeks ago. The sellers has yet to remove all items in said shop as in it is full. We can't even get in because the seller took the dead bolt key and has yet to return.

This guy is telling her it could be 3-4 weeks before he could empty it. And he is saying we don't need the key to it since we have nothing in it.

this, or tell him you want $300/week storage fee for his shit on your property
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Was there an agreed upon amount of time for the stuff to remain in the shop after closing?  If so wait till that time is up than put that shit out on the lawn if hadn't shown up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Did the OP fall asleep in moms basement?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Your mom had a lawyer representing her right?  This is what they get paid to do. At minimum, she is due rent and reasonable attorney fees.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

See, that's where he's wrong.

You have everything in it.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Without something in writing at the closing that property was being left to be picked up later (which a set date would be indicated),your mother has every right to access that building. I would however talk with an attorney or her agent she dealt with for the sale, as to the legality in keeping, disposing, or selling the contents.

If this happened to me, unless I agreed to the stuff being left at the closing and with a set removal date, I would consider it mine. The former owner knew he was moving and should have made plans ahead of time to get the stuff out of there. There is no excuse to leave wanted items behind.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top