Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 5:36:47 PM EDT
What does the hive like?

I'm looking at JayBird. Are they worth that price point compared to cheaper alternatives?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
halp?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have mpow and I like them especially for the price, I'm not an audiophile by any means. I use them for jogging and working out and they have been good.
these are what I have

Edit: there was a similar thread last week, I can't search Gd so you may want to try to find it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about that set.
I do use the LG Tone plus on a daily basis for around
40 ish dollars pretty hard to beat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What's battery life like? Blutooth signal strong, or does it occasionally drop and need re-pairing?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]

You realize where you're asking, right?
Always get the most expensive thing available.
It's the arfcom way!

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Plantronics Backbeat Go earbuds, and I like them a lot.  I've had them for two years and use them for biking and working out.  Bluetooth pairing is great on them, they don't drop out even when I'm clear accross the fitness center room from my phone (70 feet or so).

Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 at Amazon

The ratings aren't the best, but I'm happy with them.  They don't have any issues.

With anything bluetooth, you're compromising clarity and bass as opposed to wired earbuds.  Just remember that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got the LGs, I like them, have 4 people that took my rec and bought as well. Battery life is good, last me a couple weeks with moderate usage.

Main downside is they are so unnoticeable that I leave them on all the time and look like a Dutchbag that wears BT all the time, hate that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a pair of JayBird Freedoms a few years ago and loved them, never had an issue. Purchased the Bluebird X's January 2014 and like them just as much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What does the hive like?

I'm looking at JayBird. Are they worth that price point compared to cheaper alternatives?
View Quote

I have the JayBird Freedom Spirit.  they've been pretty good.  I had 2 of them go out but they replaced them for free both times.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a set and have been playing with them for about a week.  In a nutshell, they are pretty sweet.  Battery life is anywhere from 7-9 hours, and the clarity is 'good'.  You're not going to get the really lows or highs, but they are above average for sound.  My only gripe is they are slightly stiff and have that 'mouse' skin (or whatever) that is not slippery, so if I turn my head quickly it pulls on my neck fat.

ETA: they are the Jaybird X's
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
From what I've been able to research on this subject, Bluetooth just doesn't have the data transmission ability of corded buds so they don't sound quite as good yet. Even the best of them. But the plantronics and jaybirds seem to be the best but spendy. The Mpows are good for the money as are the ones that look just like them who's name currently escapes me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What does the hive like?

View Quote

$125 on Amazon now, normally $169. I paid $140 on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BlueBuds-Sport-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00AIRUOI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1430266384&sr=1-1&keywords=jaybird+bluebuds+x
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From what I've been able to research on this subject, Bluetooth just doesn't have the data transmission ability of corded buds so they don't sound quite as good yet. Even the best of them. But the plantronics and jaybirds seem to be the best but spendy. The Mpows are good for the money as are the ones that look just like them who's name currently escapes me.
View Quote

yah, I'm not an audiophile or anything and I don't expect them to sound incredible...I just need them to work as advertised, not insta-break, and have a long charge life since I'd be wearing them all day during work. That's what led me to jaybird x's, as they seemed to check off all those boxes.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#16]
LG Tone Pro. I love mine. It's very user-friendly, battery lasts forever, and the sound quality is great.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I have Outdoor Tech Orcas and like them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What does the hive like?

View Quote

I have the bluebuds x.  I've been pretty impressed. Working construction,  going to the gym etc and they're still going strong.  Good sound quality.  I probably get 5 or 6 hours of music play on a charge.  My only complaint is the little rubber things fall off kind of easily.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#19]
You could also get a bluetooth adapter and use regular earbuds.  I have this and really like it.

Sony Ericsson MW600
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You could also get a bluetooth adapter and use regular earbuds.  I have this and really like it.

Sony Ericsson MW600
View Quote

I'm interested. Very cool.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate earbuds in general, I can't find a pair that will stay in my ears under exercise worth a damn. Granted I've never tried BT ones but the design on connecting to your ears are the same. I've read there's special inserts that you can put on the drivers that fit much better but I haven't tried those yet

BT headphones seem to me to be 'meh' all the way around and I can't imagine sound quality is very good. Not at the prices I've seen at least so.....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I've gone through so many Bluetooth sets it's embarrassing.  The best I ever owned is actually the Jabra Tag because you can use standard ear buds with it.  I've found the ones in dedicated Bluetooth sets are more geared for phone calls and never sound all that great, plus when they break, you're out sixty plus bucks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#24]
JBLs here.  Seem to work ok. Stay in my ears and have good battery life
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#25]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1741947_I_need_good__inexpensive_ear_buds_that_will_stay_in_my_ears________.html

I will give the same reply here.
I have had great luck with these.
The battery lasts about 5 hours of music, so buy extras and swap them at lunch.

They sound fine, have a mic, will let you take calls, but aren't great for that.
These fit my bonk head, so they should fit most people. They never fall out, they fit under my bike helmet. They are so cheap, you can get a pair and try them out at no real risk.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What does the hive like?

View Quote

They are great other than falling out of your ears because of sweat from PT, I eventually transitioned to Beats because of the over the ear hooks work better than the wings at holding them in place.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, it happened that I saw a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Go for $19.99 shipped on techbargain and I jumped. If they are shit, I'll just get the expensive and not feel too bad about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got the lg tone 730s for 30 bucks a little while back on nomorerack.com. awesome battery and sound. They 750s can be had for 35 on ebay
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I use one all day in various high noise environments.

I've had really good ones that had insane noise cancellation.

But for MY money, Plantronics in the $30-50 range seems to be the best mix of convenience, reliability, battery life, volume, and noise cancellation.

I've owned about 3 different Plantronics models in this price range over the years and have been as happy with them as the $100+ models my job bought me.

ETA: Sorry, you want earbuds.

RIF I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top