Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2013 12:43:14 PM EDT
During her testimony on the “Gang of Eight” immigration bill before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano declared that she, President Barack Obama and other political officials at the top of this administration have the authority to decide which laws to enforce, and which ones to ignore.

Napolitano made the declaration in an exchange with Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) when he was questioning her on how Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents have alleged that political officials in the Obama administration, including her, have blocked them from enforcing the law.

Sessions noted that ICE agents’ union president Chris Crane had testified on Monday “that agents are prohibited from enforcing the law and, indeed, the ICE officers have filed a lawsuit [to that effect].”

“I started out as a federal prosecutor in the Department of Justice in 1975,” Sessions said. “I have never heard of a situation in which a group of law officers sued their supervisor and you for blocking them from following the law. They weren’t complaining about pay, benefits, working conditions. They were saying their very oath they took, to enforce the law, is being blocked by rules and regulations and policies established from on high and that this is undermining their ability to do what they’re sworn to do.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/04/24/Big-Sis-declares-Obama-has-power-to-pick-which-laws-to-enforce-as-immigration-bill-would-grant-admin-more-authority
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
A federal judge has apparently disagreed with Big Sis
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I am scared of the current administration and their views on the constitution
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Rule of Law,  bitch.  Look it up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Janet Napolitano declared that she, President Barack Obama and other political officials at the top of this administration have the authority to decide which laws to enforce, and which ones to ignore.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time I read this crap it just depresses me more.  It's gonna be a be one hell of a fight one day.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Janet Napolitano declared that she, President Barack Obama and other political officials at the top of this administration have the authority to decide which laws to enforce, and which ones to ignore.

And she isn't wrong, because ain't shit been done about it.  Just committee hearings, and lip flapping.  This shit will continue until either (A) Federal agents arrest these people, (B) The electorate finally gets fed up and votes these people out, or (C) the population gets fed up and heads start to roll.

Until there actual punishment for government corruption, the government will continue to be corrupt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am scared of the current administration and their views on the constitution basic civics

FIFY.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess the flip side of that is we get to chose the laws we obey.

Might come in handy down the road.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A federal judge has apparently disagreed with Big Sis

He's lower on the food chain. Obviously doesn't understand the core concepts of authoritarianism.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Was just gonna post that. What's good for the goose, and all that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was just gonna post that. What's good for the goose, and all that.

Some of the stuff they are getting away with would get you or me killed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
So if you make everything illegal, then you can prosecute anyone for anything, and allow anyone to get away with anything.

Seems like a good way to pervert the system to allow you total control over every aspect of the people's lives.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...snip...
Unfortunately that has been true since the start of the republic.

Is it not the case at just about every level?
Supervisors get to tell their employees what to focus on, right?
"Mayor's wife's best friend's daughter's boyfriends cousin got killed by a drunk driver - focus on DUI"
"Hookers were in the news last night - clear them off the streets for a few weeks"
etc etc
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So if you make everything illegal, then you can prosecute anyone for anything, and allow anyone to get away with anything.

Seems like a good way to pervert the system to allow you total control over every aspect of the people's lives.

Bingo
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]

I guess Congress should start picking and choosing which golf games and AirForce One trip it's going to have the American tax subjects fund. Congress should also Defund the DHS, completely.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LAWS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Just makes you wish bad things upon those fuckin idiots!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, kind of fucked up.  Here's more and the worst part of this is that the GOP could have written the same thing.  Keep an eye open Rubio worshipers.

“But, I think it does point to why this bill needs to be passed, because what we want our officers doing is focusing on narco-traffickers and human smugglers and money launderers and others who misuse our border and our immigration system,” Napolitano said. “By having a process by which those in the country illegally can pay a fine, pay fees, register so we know who they are, by dealing with the employer demand for illegal labor, by opening up the visa system, that will have the effect, basically, of confirming the focus of resources where they need to be.”
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]
The govt has been doing exactly that for decades.  The law is the law -- enforce it.  If you don't like that law -- work towards getting it changed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The govt has been doing exactly that for decades.  The law is the law -- enforce it.  If you don't like that law -- work towards getting it changed.

I wonder what the ratio of laws made vs. laws repealed are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#23]
to bad violating the oath of office is not impeachable when you have a senate majority
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I guess "Checks and Balances" are a part of the Constitution that has been "re-interpreted".
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Isn't this exactly how the Executive exercises it's part of the Checks and Balances?

You know that cop who pulls you over for speeding and lets you go?  He's part of the Executive and he's choosing not to enforce the law.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey look on the bright side we only have to deal with them for another 3/12 years. What could they possibly do in such a short period of time to screw up America
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if she thinks George W. Bush had the same right to pick and choose which laws to enforce and which to ignore?

Will the next Republican president have this same right, or do only Democrats get to do this?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Given a limited budget, we have a priority list, of which laws to enforce."

That, might have been a better choice of words.  But, that also goes back to the 10s of thousands of laws that we have on the books.  Having too many laws can also make for bad government, because some laws won't get the needed attention while others will be enforced.   All in all, it looks bad.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Obama dropped the ball in Ft Hood, Benhgazi and Boston. How many more suspect islamic terrorists aren't deported?

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Every time I read this crap it just depresses me more.  It's gonna be a be one hell of a fight one day.

this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Uhhh, Yeah.....  Ever read Atlas Shrugged????

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

are the regular 'ole citizens allowed to do that ? ignore laws ?

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Obama dropped the ball in Ft Hood, Benhgazi and Boston. How many more suspect islamic terrorists aren't deported?

Or the counter point, quietly deported so nobody gets wind of how many terrorists slip in due to loose immigration policy that the administration won't enforce and wants to make even looser and offer amnesty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

what constitution?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, thank gosh that stinking life-support-system for a cvnt is not a judge, and her opinion doesn't mean shit.

If what her pea-sized brain thinks meant squat, then I'd listen to her. But since it doesn't she can jolly well shut the fuqq up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck that Dike

FBHO
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#39]
In prior testimony Janet said that there was not enough funds to enforce all the immigration laws, she was then asked if she was given unlimited funds for enforcement would she start enforcing the immigration laws, she replied "NO!"
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#40]
IMPEACH!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Before Obama was elected in 2008, the US Attorney in the Tucson, AZ district refused to prosecute any Mexican citizen apprehended by Border Patrol, Customs, Immigration, DEA for smuggling marijuana across the Mexican border into the United States unless it amounted to 500 pounds or more. US citizens found to be smuggling minimal amounts were prosecuted. Refusing to enforce the laws against illegal alien criminals is nothing new.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

are the regular 'ole citizens allowed to do that ? ignore laws ?

Sure, but when they catch it they will kill your pets, burn you out of your house, and shoot you dead when you try to escape.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#43]

"The system is working like clockwork"
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Isn't this exactly how the Executive exercises it's part of the Checks and Balances?

You know that cop who pulls you over for speeding and lets you go?  He's part of the Executive and he's choosing not to enforce the law.

Uggghhh, I find myself agreeing with you on this.  The executive branch does have that ability and it's cheered whenever it benefits the party that is cheering it on.  Bush certainly decided what the enforcement priorities were for his admin as did Clinton, Bush Sr., and Reagan.  The other branches do not get to tell the executive branch how it will allocate it's department's resources, time and priorities.   I don't agree with Obama on his priorities but that is the way it is and it has been for forever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

--Ecclesiastes 8:11
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...

"Mayor's wife's best friend's daughter's boyfriends cousin got killed by a drunk driver - focus on DUI"
"Hookers were in the news last night - clear them off the streets for a few weeks"
etc etc

No, that's not the same thing. Focusing on one thing, like DUIs is not the same as saying arrest all DUIs but let all the speeders go not matter how much over the limit.

You can focus on DUIs and still ticket speeders.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the counter point, quietly deported so nobody gets wind of how many terrorists slip in due to loose immigration policy that the administration won't enforce and wants to make even looser and offer amnesty.

A significant number of agents are testifying to Congress they are prohibited from enforcing the law by Obama administration political appointees. The Boston islamic terrorists could have been deported. Obama dropped the ball.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, might have been a better choice of words.  But, that also goes back to the 10s of thousands of laws that we have on the books.  Having too many laws can also make for bad government, because some laws won't get the needed attention while others will be enforced.   All in all, it looks bad.

Aloha, Mark

But it's useful because you can have laws on the books that everyone knows are pretty much ignored but they can still get enforce when it becomes politically necessary.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And she isn't wrong, because ain't shit been done about it.  Just committee hearings, and lip flapping.  This shit will continue until either (A) Federal agents arrest these people, (B) The electorate finally gets fed up and votes these people out, or (C) the population gets fed up and heads start to roll.

Until there actual punishment for government corruption, the government will continue to be corrupt.

I like option C
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...

etc etc

No, that's not the same thing. Focusing on one thing, like DUIs is not the same as saying arrest all DUIs but let all the speeders go not matter how much over the limit.

You can focus on DUIs and still ticket speeders.

If you focus on DUIs, you'll have fewer resources available to prosecute speeders.  Or jaywalkers, or any of a number of other traffic related laws.

That's basically the argument that the DHS is making.  

What I'm saying is that the Executive branch does have the ability to selectively enforce laws.  It makes me uneasy.  The entire idea has always made me uneasy, but I still pray that the cop who pulled me over is just going to give me a warning.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top