Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Pole impound? Lmao.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The Siege Of Firebase Gloria Trailer
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I like most of them but from your pole choice it would be Apocalypse Now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like a lot of those equally, but voted FMJ
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
None of the above.

The best movie is La 317eme Section, written and directed by Pierre Schoendoerfer and filmed in the jungles of Indochina during the Vietnam War (sadly, in black and white).

It has become one of my absolute favourite war movies and even movies overall.  Quite excellent.  Kinda dark.  Writer, director, and cinematographer were combat vets and POWs.  Their experience in-country influenced a lot.  The director wanted to show the behaviour of jungle animals, so you hear them react (by going silent) before you see the enemy, and the troops know this and react to it.  He also wanted to show how dark the jungle really gets at night, so except for the flashlights carried by the soldiers, and campfires in one scene, there is no artificial lighting in the night scenes.  Before I watched it I read a review that said it strikes a good balance, neither glorifying war nor portraying it as an evil or hopeless thing (like many modern war movies do, especially in Europe), but just showing it for what it is, with the soldiers both being miserable and tired, while also doing their duty and wanting to take the fight to the enemy, showing valour, and in a way fighting for each other, and after seeing it that review proved to be spot-on.

Also has decent gun play and handling for the time and is probably the oldest movie I've seen that shows how the tracer compounds from machine guns can bounce every which way after impact.  The actors also were required to live in the field under field conditions untilt he filming was over, and it shows.  Weather was also not allowed to impact filming, so when it starts raining in the movie, it's really raining, and it rains a lot.

It's an outstanding movie and I strongly recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]
You missed Uncommon Valor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#7]
How can you have a pole and not put The Green Berets on it?

Come on man, we are talking about John Wayne, the Duke!
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:33:01 AM EDT
[#8]
317 seems cool.  Where can I find it streaming?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]
We Were Soldiers deserves a spot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#10]
What was the name of that John Wayne movie with the kid running around at the end looking in the Huey’s for his adopted friend?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was the name of that John Wayne movie with the kid running around at the end looking in the Huey’s for his adopted friend?
View Quote
Just a couple of posts above yours, you can't have a pole without The Green Berets being part of it!

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Tropic Thunder

Change my mind.

(I'm actually somewhat embarrassed to admit the only one on that list I've seen is Good Morning Vietnam)
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You answered your own question.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:41:44 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a tough one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:42:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Trailer - La 317e Section - Colorized with neural network
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
317 seems cool.  Where can I find it streaming?
View Quote
I don't think it's available for streaming anywhere.  Took me a while to find a download site.  Without paying, it took 13 hours to download, plus I had to download the English subtitles separately.  Both DivX files.  Most of the time the Spanish subtitles seemed more true to what was being said and the English ones run away later during the film; the latter do sometimes correspond better to the French, though.  Let me see if I can find where I got it.  I think someone else here searched and found a better download site.  There are also bootleg copies with English subtitles on DVD for the correct region (Studio Canal only releases the DVD for the French region, IIRC, and has no subtitles).

ETA: This is the site I got it from.  Decent quality aside from the subtitle issue mentioned above.  There may be somewhere better, though.

http://rarefilm.net/la-317eme-section-the-317th-platoon-1965-pierre-schoendoerffer/

Also, apparently Amazon has the bootlegs with English subtitles for sale.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't think it's available for streaming anywhere. Took me a while to find a download site. Without paying, it took 13 hours to download, plus I had to download the English subtitles separately. Both DivX files. Most of the time the Spanish subtitles seemed more true to what was being said and the English ones run away later during the film; the latter do sometimes correspond better to the French, though. Let me see if I can find where I got it. I think someone else here searched and found a better download site. There are also bootleg copies with English subtitles on DVD for the correct region (Studio Canal only releases the DVD for the French region, IIRC, and has no subtitles).

ETA: This is the site I got it from. Decent quality aside from the subtitle issue mentioned above. There may be somewhere better, though.

http://rarefilm.net/la-317eme-section-the-317th-platoon-1965-pierre-schoendoerffer/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
317 seems cool. Where can I find it streaming?
I don't think it's available for streaming anywhere. Took me a while to find a download site. Without paying, it took 13 hours to download, plus I had to download the English subtitles separately. Both DivX files. Most of the time the Spanish subtitles seemed more true to what was being said and the English ones run away later during the film; the latter do sometimes correspond better to the French, though. Let me see if I can find where I got it. I think someone else here searched and found a better download site. There are also bootleg copies with English subtitles on DVD for the correct region (Studio Canal only releases the DVD for the French region, IIRC, and has no subtitles).

ETA: This is the site I got it from. Decent quality aside from the subtitle issue mentioned above. There may be somewhere better, though.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Boys in Company C

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just a couple of posts above yours, you can't have a pole without The Green Berets being part of it!

View Quote
That’s it!

I can’t believe it slipped my mind.  I guess it is time to rewatch.

Silver wings upon their chest, these are men, America’s best.........
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:06:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought 317th  Platoon and then donated it to the local library.

It's that good.

Best review I've seen.

Directed by Pierre Schoendorfer, a Dienbienphu survivor, and photographed by Raoul Coutard, who shot "Breathless" (the real one, Godard's) and Truffaut's best films, this is in every way the best, most real and gripping filmed drama of the Indochina wars ever made. It was photographed in glorious black-and-white on location in Cambodia. If you were a combat veteran, line doggie or LRRP in Vietnam this wonderful movie will resonate with you. The little details are there, sounds, faces, jungle rivers, all of it. If you weren't there and want to know what it was like then you should purchase this film. No other film comes close to the understated realism and gritty reality of Schoendorfer's masterpiece -- and I've seen them all. This is a true masterpiece of the war film genre and the best "Vietnam movie" ever made. Trust me.

https://www.amazon.com/317th-Platoon-Jacques-Perrin/dp/B075RVGLD3#customerReviews
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Freaking kids, the world is doomed!

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:27:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm a kid you are an antique.

Green Berets is good and all, not even close to best Nam movie though. IMO

I voted Platoon out of these choices.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Out of the choices I'm going with Hamburger Hill.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#24]
No option for Bat*21 ?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#25]
84C MoPic ?
Hearts and Minds ?
Casualties of war ?
Rescue Dawn ?

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:57:26 AM EDT
[#26]
My favorite is Hamburger Hill.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I like Forest Gump
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#29]
OP missed a bunch in his pole so that’s a fail.

Of the choices provided I have to go with Platoon
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Coming Home in a Body Bag.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I am going with Heat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#32]
We Were Soldiers?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#33]
IDK about Vietnam based movies, but post Vietnam; the best of that era is without a doubt Southern Comfort.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#34]
FMJ is the best boot camp movie.
The worst part of the movie is when they are in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

I voted Platoon. My Dad was a corpsman in Nam and always said it was the most realistic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve always been partial to Missing In Action...

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, I usually switch to something else right after the door gunner scene
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We Were Soldiers?
View Quote
Massive pole poll fail.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#40]
There is a Aussie film Odd Angry Shot is a good watch.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We Were Soldiers?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don’t forget the little orphan kid, Hamhock, or Porkchop, or whatever his name is.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don’t forget the little orphan kid, Hamhock, or Porkchop, or whatever his name is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Capt Nim Sulu who rape all dirty VC, then go home!
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Poll fail: I don't see "Operation Dumbo Drop" in there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd have to say We Were Soldiers. It is one of the very few Vietnam War related movies out there that doesn't portray our troops as a bunch of drug addicted, baby killing psychos.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Flight of the Intruder..  {Come on, it has Dafoe as a crazy vet, where did we see this before... Ohh right..  Platoon..}

Rescue Dawn  {Batman does Vietnam}

Bat 21  { Sh**y fake movie story about a MOH action}

Tragedy that they didn't make a movie about the Son Tay raid..
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top