Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 6:12:35 PM EDT
I just ordered a PACA Level II concelement vest for the plain clothes LEO work that I do. The shop guy told me about Armor Ice, and how it drops the temp about 6 degrees. He laid a sample piece on my arm and it definately felt cool upon touch. Since the custom vest won't be in for 3-4 weeks, which puts me into mid August, I decided to hold off as Fall will be just arond the corner when I get it. However, I'm condsidering adding it to my vest next summer.

Have any of you LEO's tried adding Armor Ice to your vest(s)?
Can you really feel a noticeable difference?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  As a matter of fact I wear the armor ice in my vest year round.  Another added benefit of the armor ice is that it reduces the "stink" factor as well.  they should have told you that it also increases the life of the vest as sweat does not get directly absorbed by the ballistic panels.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.  Never heard of it before.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
Yes.  As a matter of fact I wear the armor ice in my vest year round.  Another added benefit of the armor ice is that it reduces the "stink" factor as well.  they should have told you that it also increases the life of the vest as sweat does not get directly absorbed by the ballistic panels.  

Your armor panels should be sealed anyway, no?  

I'll have to chk this Armor Ice stuff out!  I was seriously thinking about setting up a capillary-style sheet w/circulating ice water.  I kid you not.

One of the supervisors has a ribbed shirt w/his undershirt.  It looks like huge cornrows.  Supposedly gives vent to air circulation.  I dunno, it looks like it squishes flat, to me.

-josh
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:26:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I too am curious how it works, a number of Deputies have been buying the "Cool Cop" system, and while I bet it works, it looks retarded and I dont want to block one of my vents...

after a quick search the only place I see it online for sale is galls, and there was only 1 review of it and it wasnt good
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

OK you wear Armor Ice year round, but did you really feel a noticeable difference compared to "before" you started wearing it?

Putting aside Armor Ice for a moment, I've always heard that wearing an Under Armor Heat Gear T-shirt under one's vest was the best think to reduce the amount of sweat/bacteria that gets into the Kevlar.

Are you saying that using an Armor Ice liner in your vest reduces the "stink" factor because the Armor Ice insert is removeable/washable?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]
under armor type shirts are worlds better than cotton, but wearing a vest is still miserable.

try a day shift in south louisiana, 100 degrees with 500% humidity
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
under armor type shirts are worlds better than cotton, but wearing a vest is still miserable.

try a day shift in south louisiana, 100 degrees with 500% humidity

+1 I just moved form South LA to South TX.  Both suck.  Its hotter in Texas but a little less himid.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Found this on Galls......link
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes I did notice a difference.  In the South we all know that its not the heat, its the humidity that gets you.  The Armor Ice keeps the panels away from your body to allow air to circulate.  The material that they are made of also "dissipates" the heat.  And 6 degrees makes a huge difference, don't believe me, put your hand in a pot of water thats 102 degrees and then put it in one thats 108 degrees.  

Yes the Armor Ice is removable and washable.  I also wear the Under Armor shirts too.

You can find out more info on the Armor Ice at PACA.com

I understand that the panels are sealed, but its the sweat from your body thats one of the factors that cause your ballistic panels to break down.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. I've lived in moderately nasty summer humidity before (Pittsburgh) but now live in Colorado, which has relatively low humidity. Again, since my vest won't be in until mid August, I'll probably go ahead and wait until next summer to add the Armor Ice. Out here it cools off alot in September, and gets sphincter-tightening cold in the winter, so I should be fine until next May/June.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top