Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 10/23/2013 5:28:55 PM EDT
Seriously....do you consider yourself "smart"?

Given a standard bell curve, 68% of the distribution will be within 1 standard deviation of the mean.
That said, are you part of that 68%, or are you at least 2 standard deviations to the right of the 'average'?

Or are you somewhere off to the left

Not looking for numerics....just gut reaction....are you of above average intelligence or an average joe like the rest of us?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty smrt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Given a standard bell curve, 68% of the distribution will be within 1 standard deviation of the mean.
That said, are you part of that 68%, or are you at least 2 standard deviations to the right of the 'average'?

Not looking for numerics....just gut reaction....are you of above average intelligence or an average joe like the rest of us?
View Quote

Intelligent and smart aren't the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In every aptitude and intelligence test I've ever taken, I was way off on the right side of the chart. 99 percentile.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Expound on that...in your own words
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm smart,not dumb like they say !!!

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Well it's certainly not my dashing good looks, irresistible charm, or fabulous wealth getting me through life.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope. Fortunately I recall nearly everything I read though. So its allowed me to fake it my entire life. Take away the spell check on my work computer or ask me to do math and it's dee dee dee.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm pretty smrt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Derp

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In every aptitude and intelligence test I've ever taken, I was way off on the right side of the chart. 99 percentile.

View Quote

Based on what I know of you (surmised purely from your posts) I don't doubt this
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going with average. I know some seriously smart people, and I'm nowhere close.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you know that the Bell Curve applies?  It might be like two mountains with most people in the Genius end or the Moron end.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I dunno.  I design jet engines for a living, I suppose you could do that and still be a dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not intelligent enough to score high on the IQ test, but I'm smart enough to have retired at age 56.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm pretty dumb. But you all figured that out from my past posts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm fairly bright on my personal scale of intelligence.  Trouble is, everyone has their own scale, on which they generally score fairly high.  It's a scam.  There are millions "smarter" than you and millions "dumber" than you by your standards.  Other than a few really smart people and a few genuinely dumb people, we're mostly about the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Dumber than a box of rocks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Crayons and coloring books aren't valid tests.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Above average if I get to factor in common sense and street smarts .
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Smart & handsome as hell
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Testing shows I'm supposed to be intelligent, but I'll be the first to admit I don't have enough real life skills.  There's a high school dropout somewhere smoking a doobie, and I need him to change my oil.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#22]
lol

honeypot thread, gotta walk away
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Based on what I know of you (surmised purely from your posts) I don't doubt this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, I was thinking "I've read a lot of his posts and I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years."
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm shmart enough to surround myself with stupid friends. Works for me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How do you know that the Bell Curve applies?  It might be like two mountains with most people in the Genius end or the Moron end.
View Quote

I'll go with random distribution and assume a commonality somewhere in the middle.
That said, you have a point...and with that point justify any claim of position to the right of my so-called mean
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#26]
137 verified. Dumb as shit sometimes though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm fucking smart.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Funny, I was thinking "I've read a lot of his posts and I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps you are confusing acumen with application
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL i Love how the majority votes 'above average intelligence'.

Fun fact for you incredibly smart folks who voted that way - you are actually dumber then average. You are dumb and cannot except that fact so you vote smarter than average.

You adorable dumb retards.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#30]
My favorite color is clear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Not only am I hung like Einstein, I'm as smart as a horse.

ETA, I don't shit during parades.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a few brilliant moments, a lot of herp derp moments, and a shit ton of average joe moments.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
lol

honeypot thread, gotta walk away
View Quote

His name was 'bodybuilding, androgynous, equality horse-unicorn in a bra"
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a few brilliant moments, a lot of herp derp moments, and a shit ton of average joe moments.
View Quote

Damn, are we related?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Below average but my abundance of common sense usually compensates for that.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My favorite color is clear.
View Quote

Spoken like a true Somalian
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#37]
What kinda smarts are we talking about?

Street smarts or Book smarts?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm smarter than all my co-workers, so that makes me KING OF THE RETARDS!

ETA:  I fucked cheerleaders in high school, but only the ugly ones.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Human overconfidence.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not only am I hung like Einstein, I'm as smart as a horse.

ETA, I don't shit during parades.
View Quote

Best response so far
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I am not smart enough to figure a legal way to get his honor out of our White House. Therefore I am just about as mentally challenged as you clowns.

So there was this time when I was a Jr. at the U, and the professor used my A+ paper in statistics to grade the other idiots in my class. I used to be good at that stuff, then I got a real job.

I still have not decided which box to pick, but I do pretty good at IQ type tests, yet I have had my ass handed to me in chess. OTOH, every person comes to me at work to solve their damn problems. I've been an engineer for 33+ years, but I had to use fingers to count that up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Smarter than two billion people!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you were above average you would know the answer
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I would never self apply that title.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A salient point.
I don't know everything.  Far from it.  But every time I make a mistake or find out something I didn't know,  it becomes a learning experience,

and so I learn from it.
Intelligence is really about that more than anything else.   Not how smart you are, but your ability to learn.
I don't even claim that my stellar performance on the standard tests given to me in my school days was even always a fair performance.

I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica for fun when I was six years old and any question I ever read in any test,  I remembered,  so

if I took another test and the same question was in it,  I had the advantage of already knowing the answer.

I did well on those tests because of MEMORY.   But you could say, fairly,  that such a level of memorization is only possible through

a great deal of learning,  which would by itself seem to validate the point of the intelligence or aptitude test.

It tends to skew test results.  Not that I ever cared about that.   I always take a "take no prisoners" attitude toward any kind of test,

written or otherwise.   I WILL do my best at it even if my best consists of having memorized the questions and answers.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Smarter than two billion people!
View Quote

Per your screen name, not so much

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#47]
potato
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Scored high on IQ test.  Won't say where.  Was in the "gifted and talented" program in middle/high school.    I've been told that I'm the "smartest person I know" by several people who know me well.  I don't associate with morons.  I'm also an underachiever.  I'm a journeyman at many things; Master of few.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thing I put down Above Average for both!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, with the wording on the poll I voted as to reflect your intelligence, not mine.

My IQ has been confirmed between 35 and 40 by three doctors, they were amazed I could stand let alone respond the threads on an iPhone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top