Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm wicked smart and arrogant. I learned to tame the arrogant bit a lot during my 30s and now I don't make people feel like shit nearly as much.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Currently 87 above average.

Fuckin GD.

ETA: I voted average.  I can find my way around most mechanical issues and have decent problem solving skills. Can supervise a group of people etc. I dont know, maybe Im modest but it didnt seem right to choose above average.

Also, herp derp potatoe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, with the wording on the poll I voted as to reflect your intelligence, not mine.

My IQ has been confirmed between 35 and 40 by three doctors, they were amazed I could stand let alone respond the threads on an iPhone.
View Quote
With a performance like that,  why aren't we calling you "Senator"?

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never take an "intelligence" test. I did graduate with an EE degree and now I install control systems. I can carry on  a conversation with a billionaire( and have) or the mill rights and electricians that work for me.  I am an Eagle Scout and I know not to drive in the fucking left hand lane doing <70 which I think gives me above average intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I work for a living and in the private sector.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Above.

Approximately.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Expound on that...in your own words
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously....do you consider yourself "smart"?

Given a standard bell curve, 68% of the distribution will be within 1 standard deviation of the mean.
That said, are you part of that 68%, or are you at least 2 standard deviations to the right of the 'average'?

Or are you somewhere off to the left

Not looking for numerics....just gut reaction....are you of above average intelligence or an average joe like the rest of us?

Intelligent and smart aren't the same thing.

Smart can be applied to learned inferences, such as making smart business or emotional decisions. Smart is an earned status. When we study and learn, we become smarter in the subject matter. Book smart or street smart, we have to put effort into becoming smarter.

Intelligence, on the other hand, is something with which you are born. Your IQ is a measurement of your intelligence, and doesn’t change because it is a measure of your ability to learn. This can apply to terms we chronically associate with intelligence, like math, or it can apply to your ability to learn negotiation of emotional issues. In either case, it is inherent, and it simply stems from your genetic makeup.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, with the wording on the poll I voted as to reflect your intelligence, not mine.

My IQ has been confirmed between 35 and 40 by three doctors, they were amazed I could stand let alone respond the threads on an iPhone.
View Quote

Damn dude....I've handed you a loaded gun and turned my back to you

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Just the fact that we can figure out how to work them thar interwebs makes us above average intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A salient point.

I don't know everything.  Far from it.  But every time I make a mistake or find out something I didn't know,  it becomes a learning experience,
and so I learn from it.

Intelligence is really about that more than anything else.   Not how smart you are, but your ability to learn.

I don't even claim that my stellar performance on the standard tests given to me in my school days was even always a fair performance.
I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica for fun when I was six years old and any question I ever read in any test,  I remembered,  so
if I took another test and the same question was in it,  I had the advantage of already knowing the answer.

I did well on those tests because of MEMORY.   But you could say, fairly,  that such a level of memorization is only possible through
a great deal of learning,  which would by itself seem to validate the point of the intelligence or aptitude test.

It tends to skew test results.  Not that I ever cared about that.   I always take a "take no prisoners" attitude toward any kind of test,
written or otherwise.   I WILL do my best at it even if my best consists of having memorized the questions and answers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In every aptitude and intelligence test I've ever taken, I was way off on the right side of the chart. 99 percentile.

Based on what I know of you (surmised purely from your posts) I don't doubt this

Funny, I was thinking "I've read a lot of his posts and I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years."

Perhaps you are confusing acumen with application

A salient point.

I don't know everything.  Far from it.  But every time I make a mistake or find out something I didn't know,  it becomes a learning experience,
and so I learn from it.

Intelligence is really about that more than anything else.   Not how smart you are, but your ability to learn.

I don't even claim that my stellar performance on the standard tests given to me in my school days was even always a fair performance.
I was reading the Encyclopedia Britannica for fun when I was six years old and any question I ever read in any test,  I remembered,  so
if I took another test and the same question was in it,  I had the advantage of already knowing the answer.

I did well on those tests because of MEMORY.   But you could say, fairly,  that such a level of memorization is only possible through
a great deal of learning,  which would by itself seem to validate the point of the intelligence or aptitude test.

It tends to skew test results.  Not that I ever cared about that.   I always take a "take no prisoners" attitude toward any kind of test,
written or otherwise.   I WILL do my best at it even if my best consists of having memorized the questions and answers.

Don't lie to us, you are really 14ys old, 6ft 200 lbs rock solid and going to MIT and  you are also a fag?

amirite?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#12]
  70% above average....stop!...I can't breath!!!!.......
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Let's see, I scored a 130 IQ, which is above average.

But I certainly don't know everything. A huge part of intelligence is knowing when you don't know something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LOL i Love how the majority votes 'above average intelligence'.

Fun fact for you incredibly smart folks who voted that way - you are actually dumber then average. You are dumb and cannot except that fact so you vote smarter than average.

You adorable dumb retards.
View Quote

Yeah. (105)  70.9% of the respondents, by definition, cant be above average.
Ha!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't understand the question.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm pretty dumb. But you all figured that out from my past posts.
View Quote

Voted below average, because I do some seriously stupid shit sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Scored less than 1000 when I took the SAT.

At 12 years old.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm not intelligent enough to score high on the IQ test, but I'm smart enough to have retired at age 56.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given a standard bell curve, 68% of the distribution will be within 1 standard deviation of the mean.
That said, are you part of that 68%, or are you at least 2 standard deviations to the right of the 'average'?

Not looking for numerics....just gut reaction....are you of above average intelligence or an average joe like the rest of us?

I'm not intelligent enough to score high on the IQ test, but I'm smart enough to have retired at age 56.....

Smart answer!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I R A Excellent Bullshitter, long time.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ha!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fun fact for you incredibly smart folks who voted that way - you are actually dumber then average. You are dumb and cannot except that fact so you vote smarter than average.

Ha!

Actually they can.

Arfcom is not a random population sample.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Smart can be applied to learned inferences, such as making smart business or emotional decisions. Smart is an earned status. When we study and learn, we become smarter in the subject matter. Book smart or street smart, we have to put effort into becoming smarter.

Intelligence, on the other hand, is something with which you are born. Your IQ is a measurement of your intelligence, and doesn’t change because it is a measure of your ability to learn. This can apply to terms we chronically associate with intelligence, like math, or it can apply to your ability to learn negotiation of emotional issues. In either case, it is inherent, and it simply stems from your genetic makeup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you...excellent response.
I suppose I am asking about perceived cognitive ability.
By smart I don't mean the ability to memorize data, but rather, the ability to synthesize data and produce applied solutions as the output of said syntheses.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Every time my wife quizzes me I fail.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Per your screen name, not so much

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smarter than two billion people!

Per your screen name, not so much

Funny!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Thread needs test to determine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let's see, I scored a 130 IQ, which is above average.

But I certainly don't know everything. A huge part of intelligence is knowing when you don't know something.
View Quote

HAHA....he even used Latin in his user title....google is you friend!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just as expected. 99% of Arfcommers are smarter than average.
View Quote

It's funny because there are so many dumb motherfuckers on here...'cept maybe us two.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually they can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

Actually they can.

Yeah, I know that. I was considering that this IS ARFCOM after all.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#28]
As a side note, this thread is representative of drinking and being bored
More brain cells will be killed in the facilitation of this thread than will be exercised
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm definitely smarter than at least a quarter of the people I meet; so yes, I think I'm pretty smart.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't be surprised if the paid membership here skewed way above average. The poll is probably pretty true.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm smarter than the average bear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I am certain everyone I work with on a day to day basis is orders of magnitude smarter than me.

I think that's what I hang out here.  It's therapy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#33]
No.

Why just the other day while removing a flat tire, I about stripped a nut because I was tightening it.

Remember kids, its 'Righty tighty, lefty loosey', not 'Righty removey, lefty put it back on.'

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised if the paid membership here skewed way above average. The poll is probably pretty true.
View Quote

If I wanted to skew the data I'd have posted this thread in the pit...those guys all think they are geniuses
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I am intelligent but I'm also a narcissist. So take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#36]
The 13 clowns who choose below average were just kidding.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Scored high on IQ test.  Won't say where.  Was in the "gifted and talented" program in middle/high school.    I've been told that I'm the "smartest person I know" by several people who know me well.  I don't associate with morons.  I'm also an underachiever.  I'm a journeyman at many things; Master of few.
View Quote
You sound like me.  "Has ability, lacks self-discipline" was written on my first report card and it will be chiselled onto my gravestone.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am certain everyone I work with on a day to day basis is orders of magnitude smarter than me.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm legally retarded.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm just a 'dumb fucking truck driver', according to the guy that parked his Subaru

under my trailer recently.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm a fucking Pakled.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Going by standardized tests, I have a fairly high IQ.  That doesn't  mean I'm smart in any useful way, just good at testing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No.

Why just the other day while removing a flat tire, I about stripped a nut because I was tightening it.

Remember kids, its 'Righty tighty, lefty loosey', not 'Righty removey, lefty put it back on.'

View Quote

I apologize for finding humor in your misfortune but I LMFAO'd.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#44]
High school dropout, had to go to work because of hard times. Scored in the top 95 percentile in all areas on Luminosity yet I consider my education as poor. Found a set of home school books from the forties in a used book store. Taught myself basic Chemistry, Algebra, Geometry and Geography. studied hard enough to become an Assistant Fire Chief in a city of four hundred thousand.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
Sometimes this place makes me want therapy.

Or drives me to drink anyway.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thread needs test to determine.
View Quote

search "treadmill"

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well it's certainly not my dashing good looks, irresistible charm, or fabulous wealth getting me through life.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Dont apologize.  I was laughing pretty hard afterwards, too.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No.

View Quote
<<<<<<<=======

The lug nuts on the left are backwards.  It's an old one.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#50]
2k 95%
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top