Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 4:41:29 AM EDT
Since i just read a tattoo thread, figured i'd post this up

after reading most of the replies in the tattoo thread, the anti-tattooers post very similar stuff to the gun grabbers

i.e.

"why do you need a tattoo?"

The most appropriate answer with no need for elaborate explanation is:

"Because I can"
One of the many replies to owning a firearm

"Because I can"

"2nd Amendment..."

"Protection of my loved ones..."

hmmm
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
In!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
No, the anti ink types can't take anything away from me.

They are full of BS and are ignorant, sure, but not the same.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I really think tatoos are stupid.

That is my personal opinion.  

My personal opinion doesn't affect your right to ink up every last square inch of your skin, if you so choose.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Free your mind, your ass will follow. In!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
tattoos are a good visible indicator. anyone stupid enough to get them on the neck/face/hands is someone you probably want to avoid.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Now don't get me wrong, some tat's look trashy and I don't care for them, but really it is there on body, if that's what floats their boat, who gives a shit?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#7]
even though I think they are stupid I would not take away your right to do it. I wish the anti gun crowd was the same.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Realistically, no; idealistically, yes.

There's no difference in saying "If someone has tattoos, you probably wouldn't want to be around them" and "If someone has guns, you probably don't want to be around them."  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:47:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Only if they want to confiscate you tattoo.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now don't get me wrong, some tat's look trashy and I don't care for them, but really it is there on body, if that's what floats their boat, who gives a shit?

I'm pretty much with ya, and have ink myself, but part lines somewhat on the visible ones.  People, it's plain and simple: they limit your professional employment, PERIOD.  If you can admit this truth, and are prepared for the consequences, then rock on!  If you lie to yourself in youthful abandon and deny that the visible tattoo you just got on your neck, arm, forehead etc., isn't going to stymie your future employment, then you are simply being stupid.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not telling anyone not to get one.

I'm just not likely to see the point or appreciate it like the wearer does.

I'm far too much the libertarian to want to ban it.   It's just art.   Good, bad,  or awful,  it's still YOUR choice and YOUR skin and I support the concept of

absolute sovereignity over your own body and its contents.   Nobody should be able to tell you what you can and can not do to or with your own body,

even if I personally don't have any affection for it.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:52:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty much with ya, and have ink myself, but part lines somewhat on the visible ones.  People, it's plain and simple: they limit your professional employment, PERIOD.  If you can admit this truth, and are prepared for the consequences, then rock on!  If you lie to yourself in youthful abandon and deny that the visible tattoo you just got on your neck, arm, forehead etc., isn't going to stymie your future employment, then you are simply being stupid.
I also believe the context in which the person got the tat is also important.  Anyone who is in the military gets a complete pass.  They guy who barely made it out of high school who can't hold a job, not so much.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
No.  The anti-tattoo crowd isnt trying to ban them, just wondering what the appeal of volunteering to mutilate your own body is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I also believe the context in which the person got the tat is also important.  Anyone who is in the military gets a complete pass.  They guy who barely made it out of high school who can't hold a job, not so much.

I will agree with you completely, sorry I forgot that caveat.  A military tat on the arm is a badge of honor.  The cockroach tattoed on the arm of the high school dropout fry cook is a "dead end" stamp.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My personal opinion doesn't affect your right to ink up every last square inch of your skin, if you so choose.

Pretty much.

I've said it before; ink yourself from the top of your head to the tip of your toes.  

You're free to do it and I'm free to think it's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I like tattoos but not on hands face etc.

Just like anything else some people look good with them others not.

You should be able to put on a suit or long sleeve shirt and not see them.

I have one from when I was in the Navy, but in a short sleeve shirt it cannot be seen.

When you get one remember it will be with you a long time
so get one you will be happy with for years to come
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:59:15 AM EDT
[#17]
We should ban gun tats

But not hunting gun tats, they are different.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

I've said it before; ink yourself from the top of your head to the tip of your toes.  

You're free to do it and I'm free to think it's ridiculous.

Have to agree.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The difference is that most of the anti-tattoo folks may disapprove, but they don't want to take away your right to ink.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:07:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to know how the whole limiting income/ employement thing is proven....I have a great job, making all sorts of money (thank you US Tax Payer), I am getting a raise (Thank you US Tax Payer) on Jan 1 and then again in March, my benefits are good and my retirement is great. I have been hired for every job I ever wanted.

Just because some people are too ignorant NOT to hire someone with tattoo's that can be seen (excluding the gang bangers, 88's and the obvious replusive ones) doesn't mean that everyone shares your ignorance.

I know someone in sales, banged out over $600,000 net income last year, he has tattoo's and hustles real estate, all in western Wayne and Oakland counties in Michigan.

My brother works with lots of people at his job, he isn't tatted, but many of his employee's are....they'll be in Houston this month wining and dining exec's and signing contracts for more sponsorship and ad campgains.

There are many people from business exec's to pro-players to self employed hustlers that do not let road blocks like your ignorance stand in the way of earning or a way of life.

I would hire someone with tattoo's over a fat body or a smoker in a heart beat if I owned a business or was in charge of hiring.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Absurd.Just absurd.

Who the hell wants to ban tattoos or take them from anyone?

My GF has multiple tats including a chest piece.I don't like tattoos but have grown to generally accept they're a part of her,literally and figuratively.I really don't like her piercings at all either but you know what?They're her boobs.She isn't exactly thrilled with my being a gun nut nor my politics but that's fine too,it's give and take.

I'm an exceptionally conservative guy personally but like to think of myself as very open minded.I find tattoos to be generally dumb and unattractive but plenty of great people have them.These days,I just see them as rediculously trendy  but that's another story.I reckon that in decades,people of this period of time will be known for everyone being inked.It's not that body modification will ever go away,but I do believe there will be a trend away from it and land office business to be had at ink removal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't realy like them ,but hey cover yer damn self up in them if you want to.
So in that case no not like anti gunners at all
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#23]
You know what I was thinking earlier? How people who call whip out the "gun grabber card" when they can't handle someone else's opinion. It's straight up the same thing as the race card played at every turn someone criticizes Obama by the left only Arfcomized.

Poster A: "What do you think of my new XXXXXXXXX?"

Poster B: "I think it's dumb and doesn't serve a purpose. Don't really need one. It also looks tacky."

Poster C: "WHAT THE FUCK THE OP DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN WHY I NEED SOMETHING PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE THE REASON TEH 94 BAN HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE STOP THINKING LIKE A LIBERAL IT'S A DISEASE"

Poster B: "Bros wtf I just said I didn't think it really had a purpose and didn't like it, he asked for the opinion about it. I never said it should be banned from possession"

Poster C: "BLARGH BLARGH SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED YOU FUCKING IDIOT LIBERAL REALLY LOUD NOISES"

EDIT: This thread that got moved out the tech forums is a perfect example.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:14:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Only if they want to confiscate you tattoo.

Tattoo buybacks are ok.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:14:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I want to know how the whole limiting income/ employement thing is proven....I have a great job, making all sorts of money (thank you US Tax Payer), I am getting a raise (Thank you US Tax Payer) on Jan 1 and then again in March, my benefits are good and my retirement is great. I have been hired for every job I ever wanted.

Just because some people are too ignorant NOT to hire someone with tattoo's that can be seen (excluding the gang bangers, 88's and the obvious replusive ones) doesn't mean that everyone shares your ignorance.

I know someone in sales, banged out over $600,000 net income last year, he has tattoo's and hustles real estate, all in western Wayne and Oakland counties in Michigan.

My brother works with lots of people at his job, he isn't tatted, but many of his employee's are....they'll be in Houston this month whining and dining exec's and signing contracts for more sponsorship and ad campgains.

There are many people from business exec's to pro-players to self employed hustlers that do not let road blocks like your ignorance stand in the way of earning or a way of life.

I would hire someone with tattoo's over a fat body or a smoker in a heart beat if I owned a business or was in charge of hiring.

While your viewpoint is valid, honest and refreshing, it is not shared by many in the position to hire people to be the faces of their companies.  It is what it is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#26]
To answer the original question, no. I would consider them more like Fudds.

Why do you need a tattoo there?
Why do you choose to go with a cheap, prison-like tatto when it will be on your body forever?
Why do you want to decrease your chances of getting hired in this economy?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#28]
What is the average net worth/ education levels of tattooed folks?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#29]

could you make that bigger please?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:23:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]
They are NOT THE SAME for all the reasons posted above.

For the longest time I did not like tattoos but they have grown on me.  I don't have any but have considered it recently.

But to think that a person that does not see why someone should have tattoos but just states their opinion is no where near as bad as anti-gunners saying why should you need that killing machine and they should all be banned.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#32]

AHAHAHHAAHHHHHHAHHAHAHA!

Seriously.  Just because I don't like tattoos doesn't mean I want to have anyone with a tattoo forced to undergo laser or whatever kind of removal.  

"That's it you dirty biker/hippie/businessperson with ink.  You're getting onto the cattle cars and going right down to the hospital for laser removal.  Now get on there!"

You people kill me.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#33]

I don't care for tattoos, and I don't have any on me... I'm extremely pro 2nd A. and very patriotic.  

Some tattoos look good on some while others need to stay away from it.  

People say "I can" because freedom is a beautiful thing when it's not abused.  

Stereotyping and generalization is a bad thing  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#34]
One or two here and there don't bother me, but some of these folks are going to looking like a giant 8 ball when they turn 65.

My exwife has a fish on her tit and it's already sagging. When she reaches 65, the damn thing will make a new world's fishing record.

Oh, and the ear holes. I'd be afraid that shit would get caught on a door or something and get torn out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This. Tattoos may not be my thing, but I would not try to make a law keeping you from having one. THAT is the difference between those of us who don't like them, and the gun grabbers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

after reading most of the replies in the tattoo thread, the anti-tattooers post very similar stuff to the gun grabbers

i.e.

"Because I can"

"Because I can"
"2nd Amendment..."

hmmm

You have tattoos in order to protect your loved ones? Do they have magical powers?
You seem to confuse the attempt to ban private ownership of firearms with someone stating their distaste for your concept of art. Is there a movement to ban "body art"? If there is, I have not heard of it.

I don't like tattoos. I don't care if you do like them. I don't care if you tattoo and pierce every square inch of your body.
Most of all I don't care that you seem offended by my distaste for your "body art".
The question you should be asking yourself is, "Why am I so affected by the opinions of others?".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i.e.

"Because I can"

"Because I can"
"2nd Amendment..."

hmmm

You have tattoos in order to protect your loved ones? Do they have magical powers?
You seem to confuse the attempt to ban private ownership of firearms with someone stating their distaste for your concept of art. Is there a movement to ban "body art"? If there is, I have not heard of it.

I don't like tattoos. I don't care if you do like them. I don't care if you tattoo and pierce every square inch of your body.
Most of all I don't care that you seem offended by my distaste for your "body art".
The question you should be asking yourself is, "Why am I so affected by the opinions of others?".

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i.e.

"Because I can"

"Because I can"
"2nd Amendment..."

hmmm

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/255/PreviewComp/SuperStock_255-3128.jpg

+1 hammer and nail
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm cool with ink as long as tattoo removal continues to be considered "cosmetic", and is not paid for by the money *I* contribute to taxes or insurance premiums.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Free choice, I don't want a tat myself so I don't get one. Likewise, you may not want a gun so you don't need to have one. However, I am not about to tell you that you can't have one like I don't want you telling me I can't have a gun.

Now, if you get a tatoo you need to understand that it can impact the way people perceive you just like if you walk around taling about guns all the time can impact what people think of you.  Purple hair, nose piercings, and gold teeth can have the same effect too
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#42]
FWIW, I just checked all of my body and there's no ink on it whatsoever.

I have no plans on getting inked.

That being said, if you want to get tattooed from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet, please feel free to do so.

I couldn't care less what someone else does until it effects me directly.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Tattoos are a passing fad. Once the next generation of kids see what they look like on their fat, overweight 50/60/70 year old parents & grand parents, they will never get one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Not the same as gun grabbers at all...

They are the same as the folks who think people are stupid for wearing pants that hang at your knees, or wear your hat at an angle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I used to have a shirt that read:

"The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people with tattoos don't give a shit that you don't have tattoos"

Of course that was back in the 80's before everybody and their brother had a tattoo.

Drop the "shit" and that is a quote from Cher, iirc.

She is right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I do not have any tattoos and never will.  I think they look ugly in most cases but I do not want to ban them.

If anything, I feel sorry for some of these women who are gonna look fucking haggard when they get older.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:01:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Nobody wants to ban tatoos...

You think you have a point, but you don't.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

i.e.

"Because I can"

"Because I can"
"2nd Amendment..."

hmmm

No, because nobody is arguing that tattoos should be banned.

Some people simply think they look ignorant and trashy.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they're ignorant and trashy, but I don't particularly care for them.  And tattoos visible with normal clothing will severely limit some job opportunities.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Tatoos don't really bother me,but I don't think I would ever get one. Just doesn't fit me. Nothing I really like needs to be tatooed on me. I like death and black metal,but I don't want tats of demons cutting the tits off of a woman on me. I like hunting and shooting,but don't want or need a Ruger tatoo. Oh,whats with tribal tatoos on a white person? Whites haven't been in a tribe for what,1000+years,and just what tribe do you think you belong to? Also,whats with face and head tats? Didn't the English or Germans hunt,kill,and preserve the heads of some kind of Indian that tatooed their heads and faces a long time ago(before the English and Germans became pussies)? Yea,that what I want,somebody to flip and kill me to make a lamp or chalice out of my tatooed head,or a wallet out of  my "tribal" forearm tatoo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#50]
If you decide to make yourself look like a thug, go right on ahead.
I judge people with tattoos differently. In fact I wont hire you based on that fact alone. I dont care if you are a Harvard graduate.
Also, it has something to do with permanently engraving "I love rhonda" or "cheetos is awesome" on your body.
The top one though, was the severly obese lady I saw at disneyland riding around on a rented scooter.
She had a Ronald McDonald tattoo on a neck fat roll.
I almost took a picture.

Do you really want to be on the same level as that gross b!tch?

EDIT

the "I love rhonda" tattoo will kind of grow old the day you decide to take an afternoon off work to get Rhonda that special diamond earing and tennis bracelet she has alway wanted. After spending 12,000 on your lovely Rhonda you return home to find her getting a dirty sanchez with strawberry icing and sprinkles from from slick headed Greek neighbor of 12 years. Do you know how hard it is to wash that grease off of your pillow.
As Rhonda looks at you from across the room with that thick brown stinky mustache and bloody nose , a few of the pubes fall from her face. In that one very defining moment of your life you happen to glance down and see that tattoo. Immediately your heart is filled with regret and at last you can finally say that you really do love Rhonda.

If anyone knows how to get that greek hair gel out of a pillow case, please IM me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top