Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, why did you do this?

you've been here long enough to know every tattoo thread ends the same.

- tattooed members avoid them
- tattooed noobs get flamed
- ignorant morons who only fuck in the missionary position come in to call names, flame, and generally act like, well, ignorant morons

to address your original question, the mentality of "why do you NEED that" or "i judge people that do ____ much differently" spans every hobby and interest it isn't limited to just guns or tattoos. it comes from ignorance and on this site specifically the belief that being a fiscal conservative or libertarian also means you have to be a social conservative.

here is a PERFECT example of this:
Quoted:
If you decide to make yourself look like a thug, go right on ahead.

this statement could apply to
tattoos
guns
motorcycles
cars
clothing
hair style
musical taste
etc
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want one, get one. If you don't, don't
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not telling anyone not to get one.

I'm just not likely to see the point or appreciate it like the wearer does.

I'm far too much the libertarian to want to ban it.   It's just art.   Good, bad,  or awful,  it's still YOUR choice and YOUR skin and I support the concept of
absolute sovereignity over your own body and its contents.   Nobody should be able to tell you what you can and can not do to or with your own body,
even if I personally don't have any affection for it.

CJ

Summed up nicely.  It's not for me either, but why should someone give a fuck what some strangers do with their bodies?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want one, get one. If you don't, don't

i wish it were that simple, but the anti-tattoo crowd around here trolls every tattoo thread that pops up to inject their "wisdom" by calling members scumbags or thugs and ridicule them for getting a tattoo in the first place...

the anti-tattoo crowd are more like the average uneducated liberal who isn't actively seeking to take your guns, but will try their hardest to alienate you for it, dissuade you from purchasing one, and make you regret having owned one in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since i just read a tattoo thread, figured i'd post this up

after reading most of the replies in the tattoo thread, the anti-tattooers post very similar stuff to the gun grabbers

i.e.
"why do you need a tattoo?"

The most appropriate answer with no need for elaborate explanation is:
"Because I can"

One of the many replies to owning a firearm
"Because I can"
"2nd Amendment..."
"Protection of my loved ones..."

hmmm

Apples and oranges.  I've never seen anyone who dislikes tatoos actually put out the call for them to be banned.  

I could be wrong though, I didn't read the tatoo threads...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i wish it were that simple, but the anti-tattoo crowd around here trolls every tattoo thread that pops up to inject their "wisdom" by calling members scumbags or thugs and ridicule them for getting a tattoo in the first place...

i wish it were that simple, but the anti-Miata crowd around here trolls every Miata thread that pops up to inject their "wisdom" by calling members homosexual or effeminate and ridicule them for getting a Miata in the first place... (BTDT)

(Or replace tattoo or Miata with almost anything else someone can make fun of.)

Owning a Miata doesn't make me a homosexual any more than having a tattoo makes you a scumbag.  You know that and I know that.  If I didn't have thick skin I simply wouldn't post in GD at all. Probably a good rule of thumb for anyone, whether said skin has ink on it or not. JMHO.

we are 100% in agreement on this
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

OP, why did you do this?

you've been here long enough to know every tattoo thread ends the same.

- tattooed members avoid them

- tattooed noobs get flamed

- ignorant morons who only fuck in the missionary position come in to call names, flame, and generally act like, well, ignorant morons

to address your original question, the mentality of "why do you NEED that" or "i judge people that do ____ much differently" spans every hobby and interest it isn't limited to just guns or tattoos. it comes from ignorance and on this site specifically the belief that being a fiscal conservative or libertarian also means you have to be a social conservative.

here is a PERFECT example of this:

Quoted:

If you decide to make yourself look like a thug, go right on ahead.

this statement could apply to

tattoos

guns

motorcycles

cars

clothing

hair style

musical taste

etc

just posting an observation.  this is GD after all

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i wish it were that simple, but the anti-Miata crowd around here trolls every Miata thread that pops up to inject their "wisdom" by calling members homosexual or effeminate and ridicule them for getting a Miata in the first place... (BTDT)

Owning a Miata doesn't make me a homosexual any more than having a tattoo makes you a scumbag. You know that and I know that. If I didn't have thick skin I simply wouldn't post in GD at all. Probably a good rule of thumb for anyone, whether said skin has ink on it or not. JMHO.

we are 100% in agreement on this

Imagine a thread about somebody's cats, where someone DOESN'T post the inevitable "Free cat" roadkill picture...

I've never seen that happen in a dog thread.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Blah blah blah...beans, no beans....blah blah blah, Glocks go Boom, no they don't, blah blah blah, women are evil, some stripper left me in a tub of ice with no wallet and no kidneys and my cell phone taped to the wall, out of reach, connected to a call in Nigeria ....

Same old recycled bullshit.

Bottom line, people need something to disagree about.

It helps pass the time until we die and go to heaven.

<wait for it>
FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER SAYS THERE IS NO HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we're GTG!
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Owning a Miata doesn't make me a homosexual any more than having a tattoo makes you a scumbag.  You know that and I know that.  If I didn't have thick skin I simply wouldn't post in GD at all. Probably a good rule of thumb for anyone, whether said skin has ink on it or not. JMHO.

That's a funny,and mostly apt,comparison.

I KNOW that if I mention I drive a Miata,it's going to get some comments from those who aren't too secure in their own masculinity but that's just part of the game and I either laugh it off or say something like " I wish I could get a rainbow BFL for it".

Fair play.

The difference with some inked people is actively wanting to see themselves as a victim when a VERY significant portion of the population has tattoos.What some people with tats need to realize is that some of the people who discriminate against ink have something somewhere on their body but they,like many who have none,see that neck tats or full sleeves carry certain stereotypes with them.

In the early 90's,most of the people I associated with that had significant amounts of ink were vegan, straight edge hardcore kids;the absolute antithesis of everything the stereotypes of heavily inked people embody.However,most people would see someone with a shaved head,piercings and tats and not care that it one huge piece is Christian and another is for animal rights or something,just that the person with them was some hood.As I told my friends then "this is going to be with you for the rest of your life and like it or not,you will always be judged on it".It's absurd to think that full sleeves and such don't attract attention or curiosity and the funny thing is that many people who have such ink don't want to live with the opposite side of getting ink for a statement:if it's something that you feel is important enough to make a statement,it's important enough to be paid attention to just as much,if not more,as the way you otherwise dress or speak.

It's kind of like driving a car with a louder than usual exhaust,snazzy rims and loud paint and then complaining that people always stare.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top