Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 6:50:35 PM EDT
A question for the hive:

Is it unusual to not be prescribed antibiotics after an appendectomy?  I am recovering from one and was given no antibiotics.  Doc said they don't work.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
that's because he used HIV infected tools on you.  you're screwed bud
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope not.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an appy and they gave me IV antibiotics before I left the hospital.  Nothing to take home except massive pain pills.  Said to come back if it started to look infected.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
OK.  Yeah, they gave me an IV when I was in there, too.  Just seemed strange that I didn't get any pill antibiotics.

Been practically chewing on a piece of leather to avoid taking the pain pills.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as I didn't move I was ok.  The getting out of bed to go pee was the worst.  But I made do with ibuprofin and not the tylenol-3.  Get through the first 2 days or so and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine had already ruptured.  I got gallons of the highest potent juice they could get.  Darn near died anyway.

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that they cut open your gut and won't be using any anti-biotics.  That is odd.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Been practically chewing on a piece of leather to avoid taking the pain pills.

Uh, why?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Just don't like 'em.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that they cut open your gut and won't be using any anti-biotics.  That is odd.

Like I said, they gave me an IV with antibiotics in the hospital but no pills for when I got out.  Just trying to figure out if that is normal.

Sorry to hear you got so sick.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just don't like 'em.

well..... send em over here , I'll take em for ya
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just don't like 'em.

I know, they taste nasty. But someone showed me how to swallow pills with a glass of water, and I was SOOOOOOOOOO happy after that!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just don't like 'em.

I know, they taste nasty. But someone showed me how to swallow pills with a glass of water, and I was SOOOOOOOOOO happy after that!

"...and it turns out, they were SUPPOSITORIES!"

Sorry, punchline sort of appeared in front of me when I read your post.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Did your appendix rupture?  Mine did and I was on IV antibiotics for several weeks but was sent home with out any oral medications.  IIRC I had instructions to contact my doctor if my temperature went up past 100.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Take the pain pills or you'll be in pain for a while.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Did your appendix rupture?  Mine did and I was on IV antibiotics for several weeks but was sent home with out any oral medications.  IIRC I had instructions to contact my doctor if my temperature went up past 100.

Patty

Fortunately, it did not rupture.  I am sorry to hear that yours did.  That probably was unpleasant.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ahhh...the appy, second worst pain I've ever encountered next to Kidney stoneshebut sounds like SOP from what my wife tells me (nurse)hr

Phew.  Good to know.   Thanks.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Fortunately, it did not rupture.  I am sorry to hear that yours did.  That probably was unpleasant.

To say the least!  Mine ruptured when I was 17 and it took me exactly 30 days before I could talk someone into believing me that it rupture.  I was hospitalized for over a month for the original appendectomy and again for 3 weeks for adhesions.  Not a lot of fun.  

I hope you heal quickly.  I'm sure you'll be fine.

Patty
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow.  That is terrible.  hrough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top