Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 5:00:32 PM EDT
Happy holidays y'all.

I saw a really cool puppy at the shelter in a small city near me while I was on a bike ride today. He looks really unique- brindled colored- almost has tiger strips. Long legs, maybe a little on the skinny side, big feet. I'm sure he'll grow into a proper beast. He's alert, playful and energetic.  
I'll go back tomorrow and pick him up for the $15 adoption fee.

He's still young- I'd guess 8-12 weeks or so...

I'm sure he'll need house breaking and basic training. Has anyone had any luck with clicker training for dogs?? (or piano playing chickens or wtfe..)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2003 5:23:26 PM EDT by cyanide]
Dog do not understand english or for that matter clicks

They understand when you make a certain sound (word or click) a reaction is expected of them

there are a lot of things in the world that click, and may confuse him/her, I feel using a certain word for a certain requested action is best.

Almost forgot, it also means you must always have a clicker with you to make your dog understand what you want.
JMO
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:07:38 PM EDT
Clicker training is a specific methodology.
It uses the clicker combined with positive reinforcement. You eventually wean the dog from it. Like using a leash in the beginning.

I'm assuming with the brindle coloring, he may have some bulldog or perhaps bull terrier in him. We'll see.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:13:04 PM EDT
I have always like the brindle on dogs, I think it is sharp.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:33:42 PM EDT
My wife has used it with some luck on one dog who is really strong-willed and hard to train.  Not sure if I'd use it right away for housebreaking though.

GunLvr
Top Top