Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/23/2009 6:05:26 PM EDT
For me it's a life long war. Despite medication, there are some battles where I get my ass handed to me, other days are all right! I will never end until I take my last breath. I will continue to fight every moment until my time is up! People really cannot understand depression unless you have suffered from it. My symptoms are Lethargy to an extreme, sometimes even taking a breath seems to take great effort. I am usually clued in a day or so before hand by getting extraordinarily irritable, & impatient...

Thanks for listening!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm 41 now. I had it looooonnnngg before I new what it actually was. I have been on different meds for about 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How long have you been going through it?

3 years here

But I am treating it
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
yes.

I have many dark moments where the thought of using the Benelli on myself makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Life sucks. You are not special.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#7]
EVERYONE has some sort of depression sickness just different levels. Heck most of the people that I know that have it are pretty well off financially and there still dealing with depression. Theres no cure for it really...
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
BTDoingT. Friends (a doc & a nurse) forced me on to meds under threat of involuntary hospitalization. They saved my life. They gave me life.

For 30-some years I wished I were dead and believed in my heart I had no reason to live. My daydreams were about hanging myself. Then presto! I found that my self-loathing and fatalism were not a product of my intelligence and clear vision, but of a chemical imbalance in my brain. If TSHTF, I will make my initial raid on the pharmacy to get pickle jars of Effexor & Lexapro.

Being that way was horrible, just horrible. I went for months not speaking to my wife, whom I adore. I could do nothing but work. Off-duty, I was a zombie. Praise God for American pharmacology!
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BTDoingT. Friends (a doc & a nurse) forced me on to meds under threat of involuntary hospitalization. They saved my life. They gave me life.

For 30-some years I wished I were dead and believed in my heart I had no reason to live. My daydreams were about hanging myself. Then presto! I found that my self-loathing and fatalism were not a product of my intelligence and clear vision, but of a chemical imbalance in my brain. If TSHTF, I will make my initial raid on the pharmacy to get pickle jars of Effexor & Lexapro.

Being that way was horrible, just horrible. I went for months not speaking to my wife, whom I adore. I could do nothing but work. Off-duty, I was a zombie. Praise God for American pharmacology!

I thought effexor was prescribed for gereralized anxiety disorder.

Some people just smoke a little green to help with anxiety disorders....must be the anxiety caused by being a criminal??
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True, and attitude is everything.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's what the Lexapro is for. The Effexor is prescribed for being a moody loner with an assault rifle. Since going on Effexor, I now spend my evenings with groups of moody loners with assault rifles. The Cheeto consumption is truly amazing.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people just smoke a little green to help with anxiety disorders....must be the anxiety caused by being a criminal??

If only you knew.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had problems with depression for about 10 years now.  I'm 24 and I started having trouble around when I was 14 or 15.  I was diagnosed back when I was about 16, but I've never been treated for it.  

The only thing the psychologist who diagnosed me told me was that I needed to "learn better coping skills".  Yeah, that would be fine, if someone would actually teach me !  

I've constantly asked for help over the past decade, but I haven't been taken seriously by those around me.  Not even by my family.  I do have family members with depression.  

I've just recently (as of a few days ago) gotten "back on the horse" when it comes to fighting my depression.  I've been stuck fighting this alone for all this time.

I have other problems as well, but this post would get ridiculously long if I went into all the details.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that's what the Lexapro is for. The Effexor is prescribed for being a moody loner with an assault rifle. Since going on Effexor, I now spend my evenings with groups of moody loners with assault rifles. The Cheeto consumption is truly amazing.

I'm glad you found a group of like minded individuals.  Friends with similar personalities make life all the better for living.

I get slightly depressed every now and then, I'm pretty sure it's due to Seattle weather and seasonal affective disorder.

I've started a routine exercise regimen, and i've found that it has increased my mental health (as well as obvious physical health) significantly.  I'm lucky my symptons are not severe enough to warrant medication, but I could see how that could be the case for some.  The stigma of professional mental health help is a dangerous one.  

Friends and family who do not have your specific affliction will not understand.  If you think you are depressed, you need to seek out quality mental health care ASAP.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Lifting weights, healthy food, vitamins, and water. No pills, preservatives, or other modern b.s.

Don't drink or smoke.

Give up some possessions (Buddah)

Human touch and Sex. (pay if you have to)

Sleep 8 hours.

Hunt and fish (or hobby of your choice).

Do all these and you will feel better.

Good luck buddy. We exist at a difficult time.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really I thought it had a reputation for supressing appetite, although they arent suposed to prescribe it for that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

[/div][div]Friends and family who do not have your specific affliction will not understand.  If you think you are depressed, you need to seek out quality mental health care ASAP.  [/div][/div]

AMEN!

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I know what you mean... Just keep living and try to have a few laughs each day...

failblog.org usually produces some good laughs for me
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Man I know I do.  And I'm married.  I took a calculator to it, divided how much I am bringing home to number of times I am having sex, and came up with $500 a pop!

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Everyday is a battle for me.  Just eating a meal, driving a car, getting out of bed is a battle.  I have some really bad chronic health problems that I have lived with for the past 4 years and it hasn't gotten any better.  Heck I'm only 20 right now.  So yeah, alot of depression here.

Death sounds good to me, but for some reason I am still here, therefore there is a reason to keep going.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, so you think people with schizophrenia should just "suck it up"?

RF
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[/div][div]Friends and family who do not have your specific affliction will not understand.  If you think you are depressed, you need to seek out quality mental health care ASAP.  [/div][/div]

AMEN!

Just like every asshole on the internet thinks they are a professional economist/shooter/political strategist, every asshole in the world thinks they are qualified to give mental health advice.

[div]

[/div]
[div]Truth is, the human psyche is a complicated one, and I wouldn't take advice beyond the general stuff (trying to increase quality of life as best you can etc) from anyone who wasn't a licensed professional.  [/div]
[div]

[/div]
[div]In general, the average person thinks that because they "know" their friends or the people they've met, they are experts on the human condition.  They are not.[/div]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Everyday is a battle for me.  Just eating a meal, driving a car, getting out of bed is a battle.  I have some really bad chronic health problems that I have lived with for the past 4 years and it hasn't gotten any better.  Heck I'm only 20 right now.  So yeah, alot of depression here.

Death sounds good to me, but for some reason I am still here, therefore there is a reason to keep going.

You ain't alone, not by a long shot.  Hang in there.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lifting weights, healthy food, vitamins, and water. No pills, preservatives, or other modern b.s.

Don't drink or smoke.

Sleep 8 hours.

If only it were that easy!! I eat very well, work out 5-6 days a week, I do not smoke (nor have I ever), in the past 10 years I've had maybe 5-6 alcoholic drinks. I believe many misconceptions about depression is that it takes away any desires, it totally saps your will to perform even mundane tasks. I mean it truly is like a lead blanket lying over you while you are being heavily sedated...
Also for the record, I work in the Medical community as a CVICU RN, so I see it from the inside & out..
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Chemical imballance, plus situational.
Three years.

Trying drugs, but it's actually getting worse. I'm withdrawing when I need to be reaching out. I've thought about checking out lots of times. My MD wants me to seek counselling, but there isn't any worth the time.

I won't kill myself, but I may have heart failure if this keeps going on.
I need somebody to talk to.

And I have a dozen people I could talk to, but I can't, or don't.
It's very painful, and destructive to one's health.
Not helping my marriage a whole lot, either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF

Comparing schizophrenia to depression...talk about derailing the topic of discussion.  Excuse me while I go divide by zero.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#27]
It runs in my beau's family. His is fairly manageable. His grandfather committed suicide at 56 from lack of proper treatment, and his mother has always been a wreck. He does very well on his medication though. There's been a couple times he's been off of it - and those were times I was afraid of leaving him alone for even five minutes.

I understand what you're going through. It's incredibly rough, and you're very brave for dealing with it positively. It can affect your life - and those around you - in a big way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#28]
My doctor actually wants me to try to 5HTP instead of all the SSRI's I have tried...

Might give it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF

Comparing schizophrenia to depression...talk about derailing the topic of discussion.  Excuse me while I go divide by zero.  

A mental condition that impacts your ability to function day to day.....

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#30]
GAD is something that runs rampant in my family...it all sucks, you are not alone, and many, MANY more people suffer from this shit than any of us really realize.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#31]

no meds YET, but probably wouldnt hurt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not trying to belittle your problem, but I wanted to share something I found to be meaningful.  My father once told me... "It's only a problem, if you let it be."  I thought about that for a while, and he's absolutely correct.  I don't let anything that I can't control, bother me.  I'm a much happier person for it.

Best of luck, and I hope things get better for you real soon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chemical imballance, plus situational.
Three years.

Trying drugs, but it's actually getting worse. I'm withdrawing when I need to be reaching out. I've thought about checking out lots of times. My MD wants me to seek counselling, but there isn't any worth the time.

I won't kill myself, but I may have heart failure if this keeps going on.
I need somebody to talk to.

And I have a dozen people I could talk to, but I can't, or don't.
It's very painful, and destructive to one's health.
Not helping my marriage a whole lot, either.

Thirteen.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Battled?  Sure.  But I always knew tomorrow would be better, so I didn't deepthroat my 870
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to be an ASS, but everybody's life sucks at some point in time. Some days you just dont want to deal with anyone/anything.

WELL HELLO!!!!!!!!!1111!11111

This is the real world and it is not easy.All your ancestors dealt with it or you wouldnt be here RIGHT? They had a choice similar to what you do,

A. Charge "mastodons/ something is going to kill me animal/ BIG PROBLEM" and deal with it

B. or lay there to die.

Choose A or B.  

THERE IS NO C OPTION.

Why are you still here? Because someone in your past chose A.

When you start feeling sorry for yourself, find someone worse off and walk in their shoes. Or maybe "What would Granpa do?'

Then get over yourself and be somebody, some times your problems aint so bad.

What ever your issue, thousands or millions of people have dealt with it before you and lived, and you are nor special.

Life sucks some times. The alternative is worse, for the survivors.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't drink or smoke.

Sleep 8 hours.

Yeah, if you drink, give it up.  You'll be amazed at the change in your attitude.  And, it comes naturally.  I drank heavily for years and after I quit, it was like a new EBR arriving in the mail every day.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I am in chronic pain and I am sure I have been depressed at times. I am on welbutrin right now. Mainly for pain - but it does pick up the spirits.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Sorry to be an ASS, but everybody's life sucks at some point in time.
Some days you just dont want to deal with anyone/anything.

WELL HELLO!!!!!!!!!1111!11111

This is the real world and it is not easy.
All your ancestors dealt with it or you wouldnt be here RIGHT?
They had a choice similar to what you do,

A. Charge "mastodons/ something is going to kill me animal/ BIG PROBLEM" and deal with it

B. or lay there to die.

Choose A or B.  

THERE IS NO C OPTION.

Why are you still here? Because someone in your past chose A.

When you start feeling sorry for yourself, find someone worse off and walk in their shoes. Or maybe "What would Granpa do?'

Then get over yourself and be somebody, some times your problems aint so bad.

What ever your issue, thousands or millions of people have dealt with it before you and lived, and you are nor special.

Life sucks some times. The alternative is worse, for the survivors.

Too late.  You sound like an ass.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best way to fight it... get the body, mind and spirit in line. Excercise is a GREAT way to start.

Im probably in the worst shape Ive ever been and I cant remember being more content....
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I've seen what depression can do, as in people close that have taken their life.  I think a lot of people here see people talking about their clinical depression and then think about how they have had bad days and then try to relate the two.  They are not the same, we all have rough spots, but depressed people never get out of them.  And they may feel like crap on the day they get a pay raise and get a hummer from their mistress while their wife is feeding them cake.  Depression takes someone away from reality, sometimes it takes meds to put them back on the path.  

The only stupid and weak thing about depression is not asking for help.  We can never know someone else's pain, but we must try to help them and try and understand why they are suffering.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best way to fight it... get the body, mind and spirit in line. Excercise is a GREAT way to start.

Im probably in the worst shape Ive ever been and I cant remember being more content....

Makes sense. Strive for nothing. Get nothing.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't  you folks think it is more a sense of helplessness that is causing the level of depression in society???  
I have struggled somewhat with it  and medicated a couple of times in the short term,  but hated the side effects.  I think I have dealt with it best by taking vitamin and mineral supplements and enforcing some strict boundries for others in my life. I have also worked hard at becoming as financially independent as possible and focusing on "my" agenda (hobbies etc)instead of letting others "push" me  or "going with the flow"  I think if you are miserable in your circumstances then you need to change them (without destroying your families lives).  Empower yourself so to speak.  The biggest trap in this culture is "keeping up with the neighbors" and putting your self into endentured servitude to a Bank"  Just some ramblings from someone who has struggled with it and is coping pretty good without meds.....

Actually, I think I turned around when I realized and admitted I had a problem with depression and now I focus on watching my daily actions and attitude and force myself to adjust accordingly.   If you talk to your friends and coworkers about it, you will be suprised how many of them are dealing with the same thoughts. Its really quite common and probably just life.....

edited to add: If you are in that deep, deep  dark rut, go see a Doctor and discuss it with them ASAP.

Semper Fi
zhick
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#46]
the threads i read lately and the stuff i see in the news and online lately make me think that if the US didn't handle prescrips like pez dispensers for everything that is 'wrong' with someone, there wouldn't be anyone left alive (or sane) in this country.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
EVERYONE has some sort of depression sickness just different levels. Heck most of the people that I know that have it are pretty well off financially and there still dealing with depression. Theres no cure for it really...

Not me - I'm happy as the proverbial fucking clam.  Life is awesome, things are great, even when life hands me a shit sandwich I'm still happy and never get depressed.  I guess that makes me insane, eh?
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Effexor is prescribed for various forms of depression, anxiety, and other psychiatric disorders.  Lexapro is also prescribed for a wide range of disorders.  All SSRIs, SNRIs, and other similar drugs are used for many things.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top