Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've seen what depression can do, as in people close that have taken their life.  I think a lot of people here see people talking about their clinical depression and then think about how they have had bad days and then try to relate the two.  They are not the same, we all have rough spots, but depressed people never get out of them.  And they may feel like crap on the day they get a pay raise and get a hummer from their mistress while their wife is feeding them cake.  Depression takes someone away from reality, sometimes it takes meds to put them back on the path.  

The only stupid and weak thing about depression is not asking for health.  We can never know someone else's pain, but we must try to help them and try and understand why they are suffering.
Well said...

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking about looking into some help in the near future, I may be losing everything (yes everything) soon and I am under quite a bit of stress.
I quit drinking and smoking so my self medication is gone, I have some dark thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've seen what depression can do, as in people close that have taken their life.  I think a lot of people here see people talking about their clinical depression and then think about how they have had bad days and then try to relate the two.  They are not the same, we all have rough spots, but depressed people never get out of them.  And they may feel like crap on the day they get a pay raise and get a hummer from their mistress while their wife is feeding them cake.  Depression takes someone away from reality, sometimes it takes meds to put them back on the path.  

The only stupid and weak thing about depression is not asking for health.  We can never know someone else's pain, but we must try to help them and try and understand why they are suffering.
Well said...

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I am thinking about looking into some help in the near future, I may be losing everything (yes everything) soon and I am under quite a bit of stress.

I quit drinking and smoking so my self medication is gone, I have some dark thoughts.

If you are having "dark thoughts", get help NOW. Do not wait. Do you have someone who you can talk to? If not, IM me.  I'm right here.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lifting weights, healthy food, vitamins, and water. No pills, preservatives, or other modern b.s.

Don't drink or smoke.

Give up some possessions (Buddah)

Human touch and Sex. (pay if you have to)

Sleep 8 hours.

Hunt and fish (or hobby of your choice).

Do all these and you will feel better.

Good luck buddy. We exist at a difficult time.

None of that will battle a chemical imbalance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTDoingT. Friends (a doc & a nurse) forced me on to meds under threat of involuntary hospitalization. They saved my life. They gave me life.

For 30-some years I wished I were dead and believed in my heart I had no reason to live. My daydreams were about hanging myself. Then presto! I found that my self-loathing and fatalism were not a product of my intelligence and clear vision, but of a chemical imbalance in my brain. If TSHTF, I will make my initial raid on the pharmacy to get pickle jars of Effexor & Lexapro.

Being that way was horrible, just horrible. I went for months not speaking to my wife, whom I adore. I could do nothing but work. Off-duty, I was a zombie. Praise God for American pharmacology!

I thought effexor was prescribed for gereralized anxiety disorder.

Some people just smoke a little green to help with anxiety disorders....must be the anxiety caused by being a criminal??

Effexor is but one drug in a large family of SSRI-based drugs.

They're prescribed for various reasons including depression, anxiety, even premature ejaculation...
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My doctor actually wants me to try to 5HTP instead of all the SSRI's I have tried...

Might give it a shot.

getting the dosage right is a bitch with SSRI's, it's a shame GP's give them out like candy...

keeping a journal helps, big time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Everyday is a battle for me.  Just eating a meal, driving a car, getting out of bed is a battle.  I have some really bad chronic health problems that I have lived with for the past 4 years and it hasn't gotten any better.  Heck I'm only 20 right now.  So yeah, alot of depression here.

Death sounds good to me, but for some reason I am still here, therefore there is a reason to keep going.

I kinda echo this guy with out the additional health problems. Sure i have a history of heart trouble in my family but everything so far is in the clear so i don't worry about it. Another guy who said human touch is right. Being a loner myself and being an out of state transplant I haven't had that really and i would say it is probably part of the reason why I am depressed. And oddly enough the seattle weather me doesn't bug me a bit I like it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't overlook that Omega-3 in large daily doses can help.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]

While reading this discussion I can't thinking about the time I went to the dentist and he gave me some nitrous oxide. I can't remember ever feeling as good as when I was breathing that stuff, not a care in the world and even the overhead music sounded better.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Both parents and three grandparents battled it including one grandparent suicide.

I fucking inherited it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]
You are not a unique, individual snowflake.  We are all the same decaying organic matter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
man i feel sorry for all of you battling this - hell i could have some form of it

but after reading these posts i dont think i do

i used to drink alot and totally quit that 3 years ago.  

now i run all the time, gives me a goal to work toward.  i heard running is also recommended for battling depression - maybe you guys should try that to help you out

i have alot of anxiety from work, but thats not the same

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, for a few years it was pretty severe. Now it's basically non-existent if I don't let the feelings creep in.

Self-awareness was the biggest help.  When I could remove myself from "existing" and begin "being" I was able to see that the feelings I had were irrational and being caused by a chemical imbalance in my head.

That's how I deal with it, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You are not a unique, individual snowflake.  We are all the same decaying organic matter.

Because quoting fight club is fucking relevant...
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
For heaven's sakes, for you own sakes, do not discount what I am about to share:

Do everything you can to RID YOUR DIET OF REFINED SUGAR IN ANY FORM, and high glycemic index foods in general. Also, remove all gluten bearing foodstuffs from your diet.

Please spend some of your computer time across this holiday weekend researching these matters for yourselves; type entries such as: "Sugar causes depression" into your search engines, and see the tragic truth for yourselves.

I not be suprised that you who are suffering from depression find yourselves attracted to these foods.
Restrict yourselves to natural, unprocessed vegetables, meats, nuts, low glycemic index foods, and beans for 90 days -and see your depression lift significantly as you continue eating mankind's OEM foods!

May God bless and strengthen all of you who suffer from Depression. I'm praying for your deliverance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
EVERYONE has some sort of depression sickness just different levels. Heck most of the people that I know that have it are pretty well off financially and there still dealing with depression. Theres no cure for it really...

I think it's a product of unrealistic expectations we put on ourselves as a society and individuals. Depression has always been part of the human condition, but not at the numbers and levels we see these days. Some will say that it went undiagnosed in past years, but even in my short life I've seen the change.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#19]

I used to have some serious bouts several years ago.

The one thing that really opened my eyes was Roy Masters' Foundation of Human Understanding.

Download the free "Be Still & Know" CD.  It WILL help.

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I always thought it wasn't depression if you had a good reason for it. Ergo, in my case, it is just melancholy. It comes and goes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Those who have been there, don't tend to just brush it off as "feeling bad" and fixable by "changing your mind."  Hollowpoints look different from the muzzle end.

If you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah I probably have it.  So far I've tried to work on it myself.  Not a big fan of medication.  You probably shouldn't follow my example.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For heaven's sakes, for you own sakes, do not discount what I am about to share:

Do everything you can to RID YOUR DIET OF REFINED SUGAR IN ANY FORM, and high glycemic index foods in general. Also, remove all gluten bearing foodstuffs from your diet.

Please spend some of your computer time across this holiday weekend researching these matters for yourselves; type entries such as: "Sugar causes depression" into your search engines, and see the tragic truth for yourselves.

I not be suprised that you who are suffering from depression find yourselves attracted to these foods.
Restrict yourselves to natural, unprocessed vegetables, meats, nuts, low glycemic index foods, and beans for 90 days -and see your depression lift significantly as you continue eating mankind's OEM foods!

May God bless and strengthen all of you who suffer from Depression. I'm praying for your deliverance.

I think your post is genuine and possibly correct. I appreciate how you care for others without worrying about gain for yourself. I would just have to protest because alcohol is sugar, and I'm sure I'm proving your point, but life with out alcohol is no life at all...just my .02 from someone who has no offspring
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont believe in depression.

Grow a pair and take care of your business.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#25]
had to edit my post.

another day......
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Hang in there man and stay away from the medication. That stuff makes it worse. Are you seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist?
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Hang in there man and stay away from the medication. That stuff makes it worse

This has been my experience.

Exercise helps a lot, I sleep like a teenager on the days that I actually break a sweat, even have sweet dreams and morning wood sometimes. The physical touch thing is very real as well. If you don't have a main squeeze find one, or get a dog or a cat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sorry to be an ASS, but everybody's life sucks at some point in time. Some days you just dont want to deal with anyone/anything.

WELL HELLO!!!!!!!!!1111!11111

This is the real world and it is not easy.All your ancestors dealt with it or you wouldnt be here RIGHT? They had a choice similar to what you do,

A. Charge "mastodons/ something is going to kill me animal/ BIG PROBLEM" and deal with it

B. or lay there to die.

Choose A or B.  

THERE IS NO C OPTION.

Why are you still here? Because someone in your past chose A.

When you start feeling sorry for yourself, find someone worse off and walk in their shoes. Or maybe "What would Granpa do?'

Then get over yourself and be somebody, some times your problems aint so bad.

What ever your issue, thousands or millions of people have dealt with it before you and lived, and you are nor special.

Life sucks some times. The alternative is worse, for the survivors.

It's good to see Arfcom's medical experts didn't miss this thread.

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I always thought it wasn't depression if you had a good reason for it. Ergo, in my case, it is just melancholy. It comes and goes.

If you have clinical depression, you will always find a good reason for it. That is one of the ways you know it's a disease. When you tell yourself it's reasonable to wish you were dead because your navy blue suit didn't come back from the cleaner's on time, or because your car won't start, that's a clue.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:15:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I called a suicide hotline one time... woke up some sleepy guy on the other end. In fact he seemed a little annoyed that I called so late.  After I got off the line with him I realized, Man, im not fucked up, THATS fucked up! lol. From then on out i've been all smiles.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Unless you buy Skerrick's bullshit, we are all battling "depression".
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I used to have some serious bouts several years ago.

The one thing that really opened my eyes was Roy Masters' Foundation of Human Understanding.

Download the free "Be Still & Know" CD.  It WILL help.

This.    Give it a try.   And it is FREE!  

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:29:10 AM EDT
[#33]
If it makes you feel any better, it is my opinion that the greatest thinkers of all time have had problems with anxiety and depression.  There seems to be some relation between the capacity to reason, create and theorize and the capacity for personal misery.

Start reading, writing, painting...whatever floats your boat.  

The smartest people are sometimes the people that wallow in the most misery.  I guess they realize more than than the rest of us and are more introspective.

Of course, it could just be a chemical imbalance...but I choose to believe that God creates some people with the capacity to feel great depths of sadness and happiness for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If it makes you feel any better, it is my opinion that the greatest thinkers of all time have had problems with anxiety and depression.  There seems to be some relation between the capacity to reason, create and theorize and the capacity for personal misery.

Start reading, writing, painting...whatever floats your boat.  

The smartest people are sometimes the people that wallow in the most misery.  I guess they realize more than than the rest of us and are more introspective.

Of course, it could just be a chemical imbalance...but I choose to believe that God creates some people with the capacity to feel great depths of sadness and happiness for a reason.

You muddy the water. You do it with a measure of truth. But the insight doesn't get suppressed when the disease does.

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm thirty.  I've been depressed my whole life.  I've gotten over it.

BTW, the muzzle of an SKS tastes like shit no matter what you clean it with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 1:58:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Did my time with it along time ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes, for years.

Severely.

Certain percentage of people that drugs don't help. That's me.....

ETA: Any one notice the time and the fact we're all posting on this this thread?? Big clue right there. Just saying Insomnia goes hand in hand with depression......
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 2:34:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't overlook that Omega-3 in large daily doses can help.

This helped me the most.
I'm off all meds now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#39]
You guys may think I'm crazy for saying this, but try church and try doing for others,

It works, and ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:05:58 AM EDT
[#40]
i too am battling the nameless faceless soulless monster known as depression.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#41]
When I see the ads on TV for an anti-depressant med or a clinic and they start listing the signs of depression I laugh.

I always thought these symptoms they are listing are part of life.

Don't feel happy?  Take a pill.  Depressed because a family member died?  Take a pill.  (Hint: You are supposed to feel badly when someone close passes on.  It's called grieving and it's perfectly NORMAL).

Yes, I have bouts of depression.  I have periods that I'm in a deep funk and have a perpetual gray cloud over my head.

I push through it.  I keep moving.  One thing I don't have is an inclination to quit and let it rule me.

My wife understands that there are times I have my moods.  If I need her, she's there for me.  However, when I'm that way I usually want to be left alone.

I always come out the other side.  I always have hope.  

This is largely because I know my God is faithful and holds me securely in the palm of His hand.  

Depression?  Try reading some of David's psalms.  He dealt with it, but he also knew he could have confidence in God to bring him through it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sir, this is quite an ignorant statement! This would be like me saying I don't believe in type II Diabetes. They are both a physical chemical imbalance in your body that have manifestations.....
I am not looking for, nor do I want anyone to feel sorry for me! I just wanted to see if there are people out there like me, & apparently there are! Some people have predisposed genetics for cancer, or Diabetes. Me, Clinical depression! I have had 3 relatives commit suicide. My Paternal Grandmother, Great Grand Father, & a cousin. I can look back at my Father & most of his family now & see they should have had some form of help, but didn't. Me, I'm trying my darndest!!
Off topic here, but may God Bless those who gave their lives in the service for us!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I really do like this website.

Thanks to all the selfless members here offering advice and motivation. You really are some good folks.

this thread made my day!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 4:55:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Much truth and insight in this thread.

Yep, I inheritted The Black Dog as well.

And I too once went down that road of prescription SSRIs and their predecessors.

They may help some people, some times, and I am not going to condemn them outright with a broad brush.  BUT they are handed out like candy, and their side effects affect not only the mind and the body, but they can cripple the soul, the humanity within.  I refuse to take them, ever again.

I do consume lots of supplements (omega 3s, fish oil, 5HTP, DHEA), and I do not eat refined carbohydrates.

Every damned day I do some sort of vigourous excercise –– usually running (4 days a week), sometimes weights, sometimes yoga –– so that I get the heart rate elevated for a full half hour.  If it ain't grueling, it ain't enough to do what needs done.  And what needs done is to totally recalibrate the system.  I must daily remind every last cell in my body that I am not some passive prey.  I am an apex predator.

The way I look at it, depression is my "war".  I was born on the battlefield, and it is my fight.

Don't just lay back and think some kind of pill is going to "fix" you.  Fuck that.

If you have true, genetic, biochemical depression –– realize this:

You were born on a battlefield, and you take up the fight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder after multiple trips to the ER with heart palpitations.  The MD has done just about everything to put me on drugs.  Instead I exercise.  When I start feeling anxious (not panic attacks), I just tell myself that it is all in my head, it isn't real.

My anxiety issues were precipitated by unexpected deaths of close friends at an early age.  It almost made me feel like I was going to be the next one to keel over and die, so every health issue that I congered up got in my head.  WebMD doesn't help things either.

In short, it was me coming to grips with my own mortality.

People deal with mental health in different ways.  I know people who lead wonderful, productive lives thanks to modern chemistry.  I also see a lot of people who are just as depressed while all doped up on the newest drug of the day.

The way I handle it, is I think about how such things were handled 100 years ago.  If people could deal with it 100 years ago with out drugs, then I can too.

I also think depression is more common now because we have become lazy.  Way back when  most people were too busy to think about being bummed, after a day of physically hard work, rest became easy in the evenings.  I see a huge correlation between being 'depressed' and anxious and being inactive, or simply not giving your body the physical stimulus that it requires to function.  For some people this may be 15 minutes of walk a day, others may need to work an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, this is quite an ignorant statement! This would be like me saying I don't believe in type II Diabetes. They are both a physical chemical imbalance in your body that have manifestations.....
I am not looking for, nor do I want anyone to feel sorry for me! I just wanted to see if there are people out there like me, & apparently there are! Some people have predisposed genetics for cancer, or Diabetes. Me, Clinical depression! I have had 3 relatives commit suicide. My Paternal Grandmother, Great Grand Father, & a cousin. I can look back at my Father & most of his family now & see they should have had some form of help, but didn't. Me, I'm trying my darndest!!
Off topic here, but may God Bless those who gave their lives in the service for us!!!

Well stated, Scoobydoo.

That said, folks like you and me do not have a mission to slap sense into people who cannot understand.  They are legion, and if we bumble around trying to enlighten them, we take our eyes off our goal, and we just frustrate ourselves.

Let them enjoy their ignorance.  We have both a battle, and we have a war, to fight.  And it's not with them.  They cannot help us, and we are wise to not let them hurt us.  Consider them merely bystanders;  noncombatants.

We must become ruthless in ignoring those who cannot join with us in our fight.  

If someone says, "Man, I have no idea what you are going through, but it sounds pretty rough," then that is an ally.

If someone says "Think cheerful thoughts and get over it," ignore them.  They are nothing but a provocation to frustration.

Keep your eyes on the goal:  Vitality and health.  Move forward to that goal.  Enlist allies, both professionals and supportive friends.

Streamline down who you let influence your life.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:32:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes, in the past for a long time.

Mine probably was not severe enough, as I later on learn to pay attention and take care of myself- instead of hoping that someone might.   I got sick and tired of feeling depressed-worrying, fear, sad, etc.... and I didn't really want to live like this.   I gave up medication and took up on meditation, which  gave me inner strength to finally change my  outlook in life completely.  Yes life sometimes sucks and unfair, but I look at  how I can benefit from unfortunate situation w/ out harming other at the same time.  I mean I could look at it negatively, but it will only hurt myself and no one else.  Thought is good, but thinking too much also leads to self-doubt, and negativity- as my mental strength was depleted.    The moment I feel down, I don't sit there and wondering why , anymore.  Instead, I look for way to overcome it the best I can- whichever works best.  

I decided that my life is going to be as positive and as spiritual as possible - and nothing will stop me!    I hope this will help some of you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
yes.

I have many dark moments where the thought of using the Benelli on myself makes perfect sense.

Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lifting weights, healthy food, vitamins, and water. No pills, preservatives, or other modern b.s.

Don't drink or smoke.

Give up some possessions (Buddah)

Human touch and Sex. (pay if you have to)

Sleep 8 hours.

Hunt and fish (or hobby of your choice).

Do all these and you will feel better.

Good luck buddy. We exist at a difficult time.

Exactly all of this . Drop the extra lbs, lots of cardio and drink tons of water.
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I wont be going shooting with most of the people in this thread.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top