Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2005 1:29:12 PM EDT
I'm just looking into buying a 96 LR Defender with 44k miles and a 5.0 8 cyl.. The guy is asking $32k cash. It has the winch, roof rack, Piaa off road lights, soft top, etc. All the offroad stuff.

Anybody own one?

Took a look at it and drove it. No room and I mean no room.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Defender is just flat out cool! Someone said its more capeable than a Hummer,more like a Unimog,you would probably NEVER use all its off-road abilities,its that good! BTW,even the soft-top was an option when they were sold. Not real fond of British electrics(Lucas-Prince of Darkness),but you knew that!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's over $16,000 used....I know nothing about it.  They sound nice though.  Too nice to drive through all the shit they claim to be able to.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Defender is just flat out cool! Someone said its more capeable than a Hummer,more like a Unimog,you would probably NEVER use all its off-road abilities,its that good! BTW,even the soft-top was an option when they were sold. Not real fond of British electrics(Lucas-Prince of Darkness),but you knew that!

It looks badass I'll give it that. I don't know about their engines and overall reliablity.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you that used Discoverys without engine problems (fuel pump comes to mind) are difficult to find (at least here).  They are more expensive to repair as well BUT...
The defender 90 series is pretty bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
You have,down in TN,one of the best foreign junkyard/used partshouses in the US. Its in Manchester,just west of the I-24 scalehouse. You do know that they ain't great on gas!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You have,down in TN,one of the best foreign junkyard/used partshouses in the US. Its in Manchester,just west of the I-24 scalehouse. You do know that they ain't great on gas!

Nah, it will just be for fun. It will replace my 2002 lightning that got 9 mpg.

I happen to know where that junkyard is too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a D90 for a bit.  Great truck, hell on parts.

Start here:

D90 Source

Sheep

Edited to fix busted link
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]
That place is famous! Saves a helluva lot of money over the stealerships! BTW,the Defender's were used in GWI.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Defenders are still in use with the British Army. They've just selected a replacement, some oddity I was surprised at.

Defender is a fantastic off-roader, and not to be said in the same breath as 'Discovery' (Especially not recent Discos). My only question is $32K!? A little high, isn't it?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Defender is cool but for that kind of money look at a Land Cruiser.  Toyota and Jeep are kings of the offroad in hardcore places like Moab (the mecca of American rockcrawling).
Land Rovers are simply moving roadblocks out there if they manage the trails at all.

Look at this:  FZJ80 Land Cruiser

It's even in TN.  LOOK AT IT!!!  DO IT!!!!

Buy it and send me the difference.  We'll drink and 4-wheel!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Defenders are cool.  96 was the last year they were imported IIRC.  They listed for about 25-30K new.

Land Rover has never been known for  quality.  Quirky, but not quality.  As a second fun car, no problem.  Not a daily driver.

Have you sat in it yet?  There is NO lateral room and the driver's door is right  against your left shoulder.  Too claustraphobic for me; and if you get hit from  the side? Ouch.

I  wanted one really bad, but the test drive a couple of years ago changed my mind.  Way cool, but not comfortable at all.  

I think you would be lucky to get 9mpg in a Def 90.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Defenders are cool.  96 was the last year they were imported IIRC.  They listed for about 25-30K new.

Land Rover has never been known for  quality.  Quirky, but not quality.  As a second fun car, no problem.  Not a daily driver.

Have you sat in it yet?  There is NO lateral room and the driver's door is right  against your left shoulder.  Too claustraphobic for me; and if you get hit from  the side? Ouch.

I  wanted one really bad, but the test drive a couple of years ago changed my mind.  Way cool, but not comfortable at all.  

I think you would be lucky to get 9mpg in a Def 90.

I'm going this weekend to look at it. I may not fit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm just looking into buying a 96 LR Defender with 44k miles and a 5.0 8 cyl.. The guy is asking $32k cash. It has the winch, roof rack, Piaa off road lights, soft top, etc. All the offroad stuff.

Anybody own one?

I sold my last D90 a few years ago, and I still drive a Rover now. I've had a few different Rovers over the years. I've written a number of the articles on D-90.com referenced elsewhere in this thread. Th

A couple of points  about your question: AFIK, there was no NAS 96 D90. There were imported as 94, 95 and 97 model years. D90s came with the Rover 3.9 liter V8, and the 97 may hve been the distributorless type, though I may be confused with the Discovery 4.0. (same motor, different ignition) They get around 12 to 15 mpg on average.

So a 5.0 liter motor is an oddball, not stock motor = Trouble. No dealer will touch it.

The D90 is a very capable off road machine stock out of the box. Do a few mods and it becomes awsome. I drove cross country many times in mine and had no trouble. Of course I did a lot of maintanence all the time. They are simple to work on, though being British are prone to be "quirky".

Check out lrx.com for price comparing and to ask questions to the forum.

As to a SHTF vehicle a D90 can't be beat, especially if it has the European spec diesel motor and especially if is one of the older electronics free type diesel!

efxguy

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
D90's are good and hold value, but the rest of the LR line depreciates pretty quickly and maintenance is non stop.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Best 4x4 ever
All others are judged against the Land-Rover and nothing else comes close
That's all I have to say

Mark
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I know a lot about them  I had a 95 which I had to replace.  $32k is waaaay too much to pay for that vehicle.  Also, look for one that has not been offroaded much (really not hard to find).  The more its been offroaded, the less I would pay.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I've owned two. Yes, I was a idiot twice. I describe them as the best looking piece of shit on the road.
Bought both new. Biggest mistake I've ever made. I have two friends and one neighbor that share
my view.

2000 Discovery II
2001 Range Rover

TEH SUCK!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
For much less money, I'd opt for a FJ80 LandCruiser with full lockers.

Nearly bought one myself, but opted for the Tahoe instead. Now not a single one passes that I don't wistfully look and wonder...then I step on the gas and enjoy actually having the power to go and smile.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
The offroader's status that comes with having a D90 is like a sore dick--it's hard to beat, but $32k is a lot to pay for that status.  

If you want to look past the LR name, any short-wheel-base vehicle with equivalent ground clearance and tire height, three lockers (I assume the D90 has three lockers--in the transfer case and both axles) and stout axles will do similarly well off road.  These are the basic ingredients of a good offroad vehicle.  

I've seen Toyota pick-ups, worth maybe $1500 with new tires, climb the "guard rail" at Tellico.  

I'd rather pay $32k for a new Jeep Rubicon, but if I had plenty of money, I'd swing for the D90 just for the exclusivity it offers.  Jeep guys hate to admit it, but LR is a far more exotic name than Jeep.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Best 4x4 ever
That's all I have to say

Mark

You guys in GBR must not get the same Land Rover as us Yanks. That or it's being judged against
a KIA sportage.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
These guys always have cool Rovers.  I came pretty close to buying an amubulance from them once:

www.skytoprover.com/
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm going this weekend to look at it. I may not fit.

You said it, not me!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You guys in GBR must not get the same Land Rover as us Yanks. That or it's being judged against
a KIA sportage.

They don't.

Defenders are not street legal in the US. No airbags, or something like that.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#24]
The 5.0l is a custom stroker built off a late model 4.0/4.6(not 3.9 - minor block differences).  RPI engineering in the UK, along with a couple of companies over here do them as well.  I've seen them advertised up to 300 hp normally aspirated.  Some are using MG TVR parts as well.  Unsure why anybody thinks they need that kind of power...but to each their own.

Edited...see page 3.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Land Rover, second only to the new Volkswagens in overall piss-poor quality according to JD Power last year.

Know a good mechanic, chap?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Personally for 32K you could get a brand new 0 miles Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, plus a lift kit and bigger tires. There's no way in hell the Defender 90 has anything on the Rubicon as far as off-road ability. Rubicons bone stock have 31" Mud terrains, lockers front and rear, Dana 44's front and rear and a 4:1 transfer case.

Don't get me wrong, I think Defender 90's are cool, but I wouldn't pay 32K for one that's 8 years old when you can get a 2005 Rubicon for about $26K.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I think Defender 90's are cool, but I wouldn't pay 32K for one that's 8 years old when you can get a 2005 Rubicon for about $26K.

Do you think that Rubicon is going to sell at or near its MSRP in 8 years?  If what they're selling for used around here is any indication, NOPE.

The D-90's had real 31's too, BFG All Terrains.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think that Rubicon is going to sell at or near its MSRP in 8 years?  If what they're selling for used around here is any indication, NOPE.

The D-90's had real 31's too, BFG All Terrains.

Rubicons come with Goodyear MTR Mud Terrains... that's a real 31.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Defender is cool but for that kind of money look at a Land Cruiser.  Toyota and Jeep are kings of the offroad in hardcore places like Moab (the mecca of American rockcrawling).
Land Rovers are simply moving roadblocks out there if they manage the trails at all.

+1, the Land Cruisers are a far better truck... you don't see many LRs in africa any more.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#30]
if you want something now, go with the rubicon...if you have a couple years, wait for the d 90's to come back, which they will....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]
land rover has been talking about making the d90 street legal USA version for years now...last time i heard it was going to be around 2007
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Way too much for a vehicle that you'll have to spend $10k on parts after the next 15k miles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Best 4x4 ever
That's all I have to say

Mark

Toyota FJ 40 Land cruiser eat Land Rovers for a SNACK, AND they actually have a ENGINE under the hood. The word LUMP is used many times to describe a LR engine, it's the truth.

That said the defender is a great off roader. No way the engine is correct either. No 5.0s in a defender EVER. Think 94 or 95 was the last year allowed to be imported because of crash regs. Defenders hold their value pretty good, probably the best of the LR series. [get it? a LR person will] but if it has been seriously modded it is way to high. They are gas hogs BTW but they are a box on a box, what do you expect? I believe they came with a 3.9 or 4.0 L engine only into the US. The old 3.5 would not make it [buick design] because of emissions. Check for rot in the frame they are THIN, around the x members, and at the rear one. Also check the ball joint [panhard link] on the rear axle for clunks, if it does it needs replacing. ck for leaks in the front axle ends also, and for rust on the "ball". it should be oily or at least greased as LR did approve grease in them and sold a sachet of it that would be the exact amount for 1 side. They are pretty cool but you better splurge for a subscription to Land Rovers Owners International if you get one and make friends with LR dealers and owners. Gold is cheaper then some of the part tho they are pretty reasonable in England.

Edit yep around 97, only some small piddly amount came in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The offroader's status that comes with having a D90 is like a sore dick--it's hard to beat, but $32k is a lot to pay for that status.  

If you want to look past the LR name, any short-wheel-base vehicle with equivalent ground clearance and tire height, three lockers (I assume the D90 has three lockers--in the transfer case and both axles) and stout axles will do similarly well off road.  These are the basic ingredients of a good offroad vehicle.  

I've seen Toyota pick-ups, worth maybe $1500 with new tires, climb the "guard rail" at Tellico.  

I'd rather pay $32k for a new Jeep Rubicon, but if I had plenty of money, I'd swing for the D90 just for the exclusivity it offers.  Jeep guys hate to admit it, but LR is a far more exotic name than Jeep.

NO lockers, factory open diffs on these unless previous owner changed the spiders out or put something in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#35]
That's likely a good deal since they stopped importing the Defender.  They 've been selling for as much or more than there were new.  

I've got a 95 Discovery with 140k on it with no MAJOR problems.  There something you need to know about the Land Rovers.  They are not "maintenance free" vehicles.  You need to keep the factory recommended service up on them to keep them in good shape.  Also, just plan on paying $400 for anything that requires a trip to the dealer.  I think they treat the $400 like a cover charge.  

If this is just a play vehicle I think I'd consider something else.  I've also got a 1975 Land Cruiser FJ-40 that I've got out at the deer lease.   For $20,000 in parts and fun, you could make that thing bullet proof.

R.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, the Land Cruisers are a far better truck... you don't see many LRs in africa any more.

Bullshit!!! Been to Africa lately? Anyway, I go places in my 2003 Disco that the FJ80 would have to stop and watch.

CW
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit!!! Been to Africa lately? Anyway, I go places in my 2003 Disco that the FJ80 would have to stop and watch.

www.theimagehosting.com' target='_new'>]images5.theimagehosting.com/Trail2a.JPG]images5.theimagehosting.com/Trail2a.JPG' target='_new'>www.theimagehosting.com]]images5.theimagehosting.com/Trail2a.JPG</a></a>

CW

as a matter of fact I have.... I'm sure I have far more time on the ground there than you do.

and one of these will eat any LC for lunch...

as will the indestructable FJ40s...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.theimagehosting.com' target='_new'>]images5.theimagehosting.com/Trail2a.JPG]images5.theimagehosting.com/Trail2a.JPG' target='_new'>www.theimagehosting.com]]images5.theimagehosting.com/Trail2a.JPG</a></a>

CW

as a matter of fact I have.... I'm sure I have far more time on the ground there than you do.

Quite possibly, I've only spent a few months there. Exclusively northern Africa.

CW
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#39]
D-90's are very stout vehicles you should be very pleased. The amount of mileage is quite low for a 1996 so it should not be in need of any real service. If possible get this guy to ride with you to a Land Rover dealership for a mechanics review, it may cost you but its money well spent if you are looking at a used vehicle.
I presume since its a 96' its a V8 manual transmission. This is a nice setup and there are diesel conversions available. The interior it nothing fancy but they were purpose built.....not a grocery getter by any means. They also enjoy drinking gas...be prepared for less than 20mpg.

Replacement parts and upgrades are plenty....there also are quite a few websites and forums dedicated to the vehicles. If possible get into these as people in Europe have access to parts that would take a lot of time and $$ to get here.

Your truck brand new cost $32k....unfortunately they stopped bringing these into the states after 1997 so if anything low mileage and great condition specimens are going UP IN VALUE!!!! I have seen 1997 Auto/V8's selling for $45k++.

I would say jump on the deal..if you think Wranglers are cool then a D90 will make you shit yourself. Also, do not let the Hummer crowd tell anything....Defenders always have been and always will be the best purpose built offroad vehicle built. In fact the british special forces are running the D110's in the desert as we speak....that is simply a 4-door model of the D90.

Post pics of it if you get a chance.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Every Saturday morning, radio station KLIF has a program called "Wheels," with Ed Wallace. Ed Wallace has been in the auto business in one way or another for more than 25 years and often writes reviews for some of the top car magazines.

One Saturday, he was reviewing Range Rovers and Land Rovers. I believe his quote about the Discovery and the Range Rover line was that "It's God's way of telling you that you have too much money," or in other words, anyone willing to put up with their abysmal repair and maintenance record deserves to own one. I've never owned one, but I do respect the guy's opinion on all things automotive.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Every Saturday morning, radio station KLIF has a program called "Wheels," with Ed Wallace. Ed Wallace has been in the auto business in one way or another for more than 25 years and often writes reviews for some of the top car magazines.

One Saturday, he was reviewing Range Rovers and Land Rovers. I believe his quote about the Discovery and the Range Rover line was that "It's God's way of telling you that you have too much money," or in other words, anyone willing to put up with their abysmal repair and maintenance record deserves to own one. I've never owned one, but I do respect the guy's opinion on all things automotive.

- HEY the DEFENDER is NOTHING like the Range Rover or any other Land Rover for that fact. It's apparent that many of you have no clue which model we are discussing. Yes, I agree the Range Rovers, Discovery, Country...all suck for service, value and parts. The defender was not built at all like any of those models....do some research then come back and talk about it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I can tell you that used Discoverys without engine problems (fuel pump comes to mind) are difficult to find (at least here).  They are more expensive to repair as well BUT...
The defender 90 series is pretty bad ass.

+1,000,000

They are expensive to fix,  have typical british quality control problems.  I've had several friends with them,  owned one myself for about three months and have two neighbors with them.  

Generally decent "Base" i.e. the drivetrain and stuff but *ENDLESS* little other problems like mirrors going out,  lights shorting out,  rattles,  loose A/C vents,  reverse lights won't go  off.  Endlessly.  And they are pretty damn expensive to fix.  Our local rover dealer is hella slow getting parts.

Get a Land Cruiser,  better truck, more reliable etc.  There's a reason you see the pictures from Afghanistan Special Forces troops in Tacomas and stuff.  Toyota and Nissan and Isuzu pretty much own the offroad market in the undeveloped world cause their trucks can take it.

You'll get a much better deal out of an 80 series land cruiser than a defender.  I will give the defender points for looking cool though....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#43]
This whole issue of quality and repairs is definitely hit and miss. I know several LR owners that owned the devil's own vehicles with nothing but down time due to various problems, while others I know have had no problems whatsoever and thoroughly enjoyed them. I personally am in the latter category with a 1992 Range Rover that I sold recently that I put over 300k miles on (the speedo gear popped out at 317,000 and I was too lazy to fix it) whose only repair issue was replacement of the passenger side exhaust manifold. I kept up on fluid matainence which helped a lot. My 2003 Disco II has 50k miles and absolutely nothing wrong with it other than a factory recall ABS controller replacement. Both have seen lots of off-road fun and a goodly combination of city/clogged freeway and long trip (cross country) miles.

CW
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

and one of these will eat any LC for lunch...

home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/lcpickup.jpg

as will the indestructable FJ40s...

home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/africa3.jpg

BTW, I've owned 2 FJ40's and used to do the Rubicon before it was popular, and I agree that Toyota builds a great 4x4. Asfor eating a LR's lunch, direct comparison says uh-uh.

CW
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#46]
They are maintenance hogs.  The cost to repair is extreme, and you will be taking out a second, and a third on your house to pay for stuff to fix it.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- HEY the DEFENDER is NOTHING like the Range Rover or any other Land Rover for that fact. It's apparent that many of you have no clue which model we are discussing. Yes, I agree the Range Rovers, Discovery, Country...all suck for service, value and parts. The defender was not built at all like any of those models....do some research then come back and talk about it.

Hey Nancy, get the sand out of your mangina and stop overeacting (really no need to type everything in red as though your rebuttal won't be understood without it). Re-read my comment. I didn't say Wallace's comment was categorically describing the entire line of vehicles made by Land Rovers, but based on his long history of reviewing hundreds of vehicles for some of the top auto magazines in the country, I do believe his opinion is worth adding to the discussion. Damn, kid.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
D-90's are very stout vehicles you should be very pleased. The amount of mileage is quite low for a 1996 so it should not be in need of any real service. If possible get this guy to ride with you to a Land Rover dealership for a mechanics review, it may cost you but its money well spent if you are looking at a used vehicle.
I presume since its a 96' its a V8 manual transmission. This is a nice setup and there are diesel conversions available. The interior it nothing fancy but they were purpose built.....not a grocery getter by any means. They also enjoy drinking gas...be prepared for less than 20mpg.

Replacement parts and upgrades are plenty....there also are quite a few websites and forums dedicated to the vehicles. If possible get into these as people in Europe have access to parts that would take a lot of time and $$ to get here.

Your truck brand new cost $32k....unfortunately they stopped bringing these into the states after 1997 so if anything low mileage and great condition specimens are going UP IN VALUE!!!! I have seen 1997 Auto/V8's selling for $45k++.

I would say jump on the deal..if you think Wranglers are cool then a D90 will make you shit yourself. Also, do not let the Hummer crowd tell anything....Defenders always have been and always will be the best purpose built offroad vehicle built. In fact the british special forces are running the D110's in the desert as we speak....that is simply a 4-door model of the D90.

Post pics of it if you get a chance.....

A point about the Hummer crowd; the pic I posted was a trail where there was no way a Hummer could follw me as most of the trail was too narrow (almost for me).

CW
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#49]
If want off road capability get a JEEP ,  if you want to pick up preppy college girls, and like breakdowns and hard to find parts get the land rover.

The brits don't make quality cars or service rifles anymore.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
They are maintenance hogs.  The cost to repair is extreme, and you will be taking out a second, and a third on your house to pay for stuff to fix it.  

Nah, I don't borrow money. I'm just going to look at it. I may end up with a new toyota.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top