Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 1:19:08 AM EDT
Been kind of interested in adding a clean overdrive or a tubescreamer to the front end of my rig just to see how it sounds.

Anybody ever hand make a simple overdrive pedal at home? Figured it'd be a fun project that may save me a few bucks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been kind of interested in adding a clean overdrive or a tubescreamer to the front end of my rig just to see how it sounds.

Anybody ever hand make a simple overdrive pedal at home? Figured it'd be a fun project that may save me a few bucks.
View Quote

Nope but I have a boss metal zone I'm trying to get rid of.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Not from scratch, but I have built a couple of pedal kits before. If you can solder, you can do it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not from scratch, but I have built a couple of pedal kits before. If you can solder, you can do it.
View Quote

How do they sound? Is at least decent enough to get an idea of what a production boost would do without having to go all in on a $100 pedal off the bat?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Mammoth stuff is top quality. It's run by one of Robert Keeleys first employees and he now distributes the keeley mod stuff.

If you just want a clean boost, these pedals are killer for the price. I use the comp and gold plexi on my board.

https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com/pages/search-results?narrow=%5B%5B%22Vendor%22%2C%22Tone%20City%22%5D%5D&category_id=138399107&category_url=%2Fcollections%2Feffects&disable_semantics=1

I use the comp at the start of my chain to make my b9 sustain longer and I use the gold plexi set super low gain to add a bit of heat. They are extremely well made and come with Velcro that fits on the back.

They weigh as much as s boss legal but more than half of the size.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't, but I've always read that a Zvex Super Hard-on (clean boost) clone is a very simple pedal to build.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I've built several distortion/gain circuits. Most of them are simple one transistor affairs but the one I like the most is an MXR clone here.

Antique Electronics Supply has several kits to choose from.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I built my own dirt box and a tremolo from scratch. Dirt was loosely based on a TS-808 circuit, trem was based on the EA design with mods. Hand wired on perf board. Both sound great to me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I build simple pedals from time to time.

Clean Boost, using an op-amp, Unity Gain to 29dB boost.
A distortion, two dual op-amps, with boost, and tone control.
A loop switcher with true bypass or BJT Buffer.

You can get a lot of DIY stomp-boxes from Mammoth (and many other places).

I tend to design and prototype what I want.
Currently re-modding a tube amp I built.

Once done I think I am going to build a single channel, ultra clean 15-30 watt tube amp.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
So there's definitely some experience here. I think I'll probably follow one of the walkthroughs posted for the Super Hard On clone, looks simple as hell.

Any good books for breaking into this a bit more than just a guided walkthrough on the internet that anyone may recommend? Being able to conceptualize and design my own pedals, or even learn how to make different modifications to existing ones seems like a neat and useful hobby.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do they sound? Is at least decent enough to get an idea of what a production boost would do without having to go all in on a $100 pedal off the bat?
View Quote

Get this kit http://store.generalguitargadgets.com/kits/kits-distortion/its8-complete-kit.html and also purchase the modification options for $8.  When you build it use the directions for the Expensive boutique modifications.

At that point you will basically have a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive that only cost $75 with shipping.  It sounds killer.

Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive Pedal
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought and built a TS-855 clone from Build your own clone

Fun little project learning to solder, and has some pretty easy instructions to follow. Kind of lacking in explaining what each component does, so I'm off to find that information elsewhere.

Anyhow, put it between my guitar (which I also did an 18V mod to for giggles, because why not) and my amp.

I can get a good old school rock tone out of just the pedal and the rhythm channel. Take those same settings on the amp and pedal, then hit the crunch switch on rhythm channel and it's a solid modern rock tone.

Flip it over to the lead channel, and it's a lot less noticeable. I was kind of surprised by how understated it felt on that channel. It felt like it gave just a tiny bit of a boost, and tightened the low end up just a touch, but generally speaking it wasn't the "woah holy shit" change I was expecting.

Then again, I guess I don't know exactly what I was expecting to get out of it for my metal tone. It tightened up the low end though, so that in itself is bueno.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!

Did you try it with the distortion/gain turned all the way down and the volume knob turned up or cranked? That's how I run my ODs. I've found that works best for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#13]
The "level" pot at max doesnt sound like its much of a boost, if any at all, to the signal.

It just sounds to me like its allowing the full signal through, as opposed to amplifying it like I'd expect it to.

It came with an extra pair of diodes that I may try swapping out. Evidently they're a bit louder and less distorted than the germaniums.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]
That's weird, I've never had an OD that didn't have some volume boost. Did you put any caps or diodes in backwards?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I could be mistaken but doesn't running at 18V increase the clean headroom?  Maybe that is why you aren't getting what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I could be mistaken but doesn't running at 18V increase the clean headroom?  Maybe that is why you aren't getting what you are looking for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That could be it. I'll pop the battery connector off and just run one 9V and see how it goes

Quoted:
That's weird, I've never had an OD that didn't have some volume boost. Did you put any caps or diodes in backwards?
Could be. I'll have to double check
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, running at 18v does increase clean headroom, but it doesn't cut back on the amount of volume boost. It's also been my experience that 18v makes an OD sound more aggressive less grainy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a bassist, man, this guitar effects and lingo shit is new to me

I'll pop the pedal apart after work and go back over it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm a bassist, man, this guitar effects and lingo shit is new to me

I'll pop the pedal apart after work and go back over it.
View Quote
Headroom just refers to how much you can turn up the gain before it distorts. More headroom just means it doesn't distort as easily.

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Changed diodes on that pedal, no real discernible difference in tone or volume level, but that could just be an ear that doesn't know what to listen to, or hearing damage. Dunno which

Found a schematic for the zvex super duper two in one. Question is... make the super duper or just the SHO?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Changed diodes on that pedal, no real discernible difference in tone or volume level, but that could just be an ear that doesn't know what to listen to, or hearing damage. Dunno which

Found a schematic for the zvex super duper two in one. Question is... make the super duper or just the SHO?
View Quote
Done all, or at least I think:

1- handwire using perfboard.
2- handwire using fiberboard and drilling for turrets.
3- Made own circuit board.
4- Bought circuit board.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm thinking About making this item
The parts are cheap
Easiest “modification” for Fender Hot Rod amps (and others) to make it better for home use
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Andy Timmons likes the Keeley mode on a boss OD-1. That is a mod u can diy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
So playing the pedal on a clean channel, I can definitely hear the boost in volume playing on my neck pickup at half volume.

Maybe it's just the nature of the amps lead-channel and the way it creates the distortion that it compresses that boost down a bit and makes it less noticeable?

Hell I don't know, I'm spitballing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So playing the pedal on a clean channel, I can definitely hear the boost in volume playing on my neck pickup at half volume.

Maybe it's just the nature of the amps lead-channel and the way it creates the distortion that it compresses that boost down a bit and makes it less noticeable?

Hell I don't know, I'm spitballing.
View Quote
How are you running it into distortion? Are you trying to use distortion from the pedal?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I've ran it without any drive from the pedal to 12 o'clock on the preamp distortion, and it doesn't do too much to my uneducated ears.

I run it usually now with about a quarter drive on the pedal to the same preamp setting of 12 o'clock. It seems to thicken it up just a touch.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've ran it without any drive from the pedal to 12 o'clock on the preamp distortion, and it doesn't do too much to my uneducated ears.

I run it usually now with about a quarter drive on the pedal to the same preamp setting of 12 o'clock. It seems to thicken it up just a touch.
View Quote
"Preamp"? As in the gain knob on your amp, or are you talking about the volume knob on the pedal?

If you're talking about the volume on the pedal, crank that son of a bitch. Then just leave the distortion knob on the pedal all the way down and set the pedal's tone knob somewhere between 10 & 2. Overdrives are made to slam the front end of an amp while adding a little flavor of it's own. And don't worry about hurting your amp, because you won't.

Also, Tube Screamer type pedals are known for tightening up the bottom end while pumping up the mids. So you may notice less bass when the pedal is on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Preamp"? As in the gain knob on your amp, or are you talking about the volume knob on the pedal?

If you're talking about the volume on the pedal, crank that son of a bitch. Then just leave the distortion knob on the pedal all the way down and set the pedal's tone knob somewhere between 10 & 2. Overdrives are made to slam the front end of an amp while adding a little flavor of it's own. And don't worry about hurting your amp, because you won't.

Also, Tube Screamer type pedals are known for tightening up the bottom end while pumping up the mids. So you may notice less bass when the pedal is on.
View Quote
I did notice a touch of a drop in bass tone with the pedal on, which really isn't a big issue for me.

I by "preamp" I meant the knob on my amp that controls the distortion, that's just what it's labeled as is all.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I did notice a touch of a drop in bass tone with the pedal on, which really isn't a big issue for me.

I by "preamp" I meant the knob on my amp that controls the distortion, that's just what it's labeled as is all.
View Quote
I figured that's what you meant, but I wanted to make sure you weren't talking about the pedal. And like I said, crank the volume up on the pedal, turn the distortion down, and run your tone between 10&2, and you should have good results.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I've built a couple dozen. Can't say enough good things about GuitarPCB or their kit distributer Pedal Parts and Kits
I've also used General Guitar Gadgets
And Madbean's boards he's got great resources for more makers too.

I've bought pcbs from hobbyists on FB and made some really great pedals out of them too. Haven't yet ventured into making my own boards or designing my own circuits. Right now this is just a really nice escape for me. It's like meditation- I can just go to my workbench after the family is asleep and solder a project for an hour. Drill out the enclosure, paint it, test it etc. all at my own pace. I have a few friends who want to buy some of my work, and I might do that down the road. Anyhow I'm happy to help out here if I can.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#31]
So finally finished my SHO clone.

First one had all fucked up wiring. Wrong pinout on the transistor and pot due to my lack of paying attention and checking online for the proper pinout.

Anyhow, I plopped that down after the TS-885 clone I had built earlier, and with the SHO at about half way, it helps the TS-885 do more of what I wanted it to do while adding a little bit of top end sparkle and life to the tone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.
There are enough boutique pedal manufacturers if you aren't happy with the big name/popular pedals to buy from without having to reinvent the wheel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So finally finished my SHO clone.

First one had all fucked up wiring. Wrong pinout on the transistor and pot due to my lack of paying attention and checking online for the proper pinout.

Anyhow, I plopped that down after the TS-885 clone I had built earlier, and with the SHO at about half way, it helps the TS-885 do more of what I wanted it to do while adding a little bit of top end sparkle and life to the tone.
View Quote
That's nice. How much did parts cost?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top