Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 3:50:54 AM EDT
I am starting to wonder if we are next?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]

A suicide bomber was killed and 31 people injured after a home-made device was detonated on a bus in southeastern China Monday, state media reported.
The blast occurred near the downtown area of Fujian's provincial capital Fuzhou at around 2:30 pm, Xinhua news agency reported.
The explosion on the single-decker bus was powerful enough to shatter the windows of shops nearby, it said.
Pictures from the scene showed the side of the bus ripped apart and debris strewn across the floor of the vehicle. The injured were shown being stretchered out of windows.
The suspect, a 42-year-old farmer, was believed to be from Putian city in the province and according to police was suffering from terminal lung cancer, the report said. He was killed in the blast.
Attacks of this kind are common in China, often carried out by angry residents who feel wronged by society or the communist party government.
In January a bomb killed 11 people on a bus in northwestern Xinjiang region. That was blamed on a worker who held a grudge against his former employer, a coal mining company near the scene of the explosion.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]

SHANGHAI (AFP) - A suicide bomber was killed and 31 people injured after a home-made device was detonated on a bus in southeastern China Monday, state media reported.
ADVERTISEMENT

The blast occurred near the downtown area of Fujian's provincial capital Fuzhou at around 2:30 pm, Xinhua news agency reported.

The explosion on the single-decker bus was powerful enough to shatter the windows of shops nearby, it said.

Pictures from the scene showed the side of the bus ripped apart and debris strewn across the floor of the vehicle. The injured were shown being stretchered out of windows.

The suspect, a 42-year-old farmer, was believed to be from Putian city in the province and according to police was suffering from terminal lung cancer, the report said. He was killed in the blast.

Attacks of this kind are common in China, often carried out by angry residents who feel wronged by society or the communist party government.

In January a bomb killed 11 people on a bus in northwestern Xinjiang region. That was blamed on a worker who held a grudge against his former employer, a coal mining company near the scene of the explosion.

There were 1,130 bombings around China last year, according to state press reports.

And some of you say china is a good place to visit
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#3]

So...lemme get this right..."Hey, I'm terminally ill. Let's go blow up a bus!" is a common thing in China???

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So...lemme get this right..."Hey, I'm terminally ill. Let's go blow up a bus!" is a common thing in China???

It sounds like it, not a place I want to visit any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#5]
bttfmc
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and some wanted me to send my daughter there. i think not.

Come on it's so safe I mean jeeze it's only a few thousand time a year.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#8]
This has been going on for years.

The Xinjiang Uigur Autonomous Region adjoins a bunch of "Stans" and is primarily ethnically Turkic.  It's a lot different than going to Beijing or Shenyang.

It's the freaking wild west out there.  They blow up buses, trains, bicycles, mopeds, etc.  It's 47% ethnic Uigur and 7% ethnic Kazak.  Ethnic Chinese are a minority there.  It borders Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Taijikistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan, as far as Stans go.  It also borders Russia and India.

There's been a separatist movement for years there.  The Uigurs are ethnically Turkic in nature, Muslim, and would much rather be their very own Stan rather than a part of China.

This region also includes the Gobi Desert and the place where the Chinese liked to do their underground nuclear testing.

It has about as much in common as Beijing as Mosul has in common with Dallas.

I HIGHLY doubt this is in any way related to any terrorism against the West.  Anyone who's been paying attention to the region knows this is a regularly scheduled summer activity there.  It's too damned cold in the winter there for anyone to try this outside of the summer months.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am starting to wonder if we are next? hr

I am surprised nothing has happened yet, have you seen the folks that ride around on Greyhound? I knew there was reason I don't use public trans.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This has been going on for years.

The Xinjiang Uigur Autonomous Region adjoins a bunch of "Stans" and is primarily ethnically Turkic.  It's a lot different than going to Beijing or Shenyang.

It's the freaking wild west out there.  They blow up buses, trains, bicycles, mopeds, etc.  It's 47% ethnic Uigur and 7% ethnic Kazak.  Ethnic Chinese are a minority there.  It borders Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Taijikistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan, as far as Stans go.  It also borders Russia and India.

There's been a separatist movement for years there.  The Uigurs are ethnically Turkic in nature, Muslim, and would much rather be their very own Stan rather than a part of China.

This region also includes the Gobi Desert and the place where the Chinese liked to do their underground nuclear testing.

It has about as much in common as Beijing as Mosul has in common with Dallas.

I HIGHLY doubt this is in any way related to any terrorism against the West.  Anyone who's been paying attention to the region knows this is a regularly scheduled summer activity there.  It's too damned cold in the winter there for anyone to try this outside of the summer months.  

in addition to that the central govt has really pissed off the farmers with their land grabs. guess they know about an/fo too!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#12]
We need to recruit a few hundred terminally-ill Chinese.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top