Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/26/2004 5:22:50 AM EST
I am looking into a GPS unit. While I think I might enjoy having it for long car trips (I get lost easily in a strange town) I really am interested in the acreage calculation function. I know it won't substitute for a survey, but it would give me a rough idea of the shapes I need.
I emailed customer service at Magellan (?) and they recommended a unit. Trouble is, I went to the product description and nowhere does it mention an acreage calculation function. Now I wonder iof the CSR knew what he was talking about.
Ican spend up to about $500.
anyone have any experience using a GPS for acreage calculation? If so, recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:26:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By maximumbob_tx:
I am looking into a GPS unit. While I think I might enjoy having it for long car trips (I get lost easily in a strange town) I really am interested in the acreage calculation function. I know it won't substitute for a survey, but it would give me a rough idea of the shapes I need.
I emailed customer service at Magellan (?) and they recommended a unit. Trouble is, I went to the product description and nowhere does it mention an acreage calculation function. Now I wonder iof the CSR knew what he was talking about.
Ican spend up to about $500.
anyone have any experience using a GPS for acreage calculation? If so, recommendations?

No experience with that particular function, but try giving Garmin a call. Or check their website at www.garmin.com. You may or may not find the function you are looking for on the site, but there should be a customer service number there so you can ask someone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:02:59 AM EST
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista GPS and it does have a feature for measuring area - although I've never used it.

It will measure a track area in acres, hectares, Sq feet, Sq yds, Sq meters, Sq kilometers, and Sq miles.

You can download the owners manual at www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/ .
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:49:48 AM EST
I checked the site you provided. Lo and behold, the owner's manual DID provide instructions on how to calculate acreage.
Problem solved.
Thanks.
Top Top