Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 6:22:50 AM EDT
I am looking into a GPS unit. While I think I might enjoy having it for long car trips (I get lost easily in a strange town) I really am interested in the acreage calculation function. I know it won't substitute for a survey, but it would give me a rough idea of the shapes I need.
I emailed customer service at Magellan (?) and they recommended a unit. Trouble is, I went to the product description and nowhere does it mention an acreage calculation function. Now I wonder iof the CSR knew what he was talking about.
Ican spend up to about $500.
anyone have any experience using a GPS for acreage calculation? If so, recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am looking into a GPS unit. While I think I might enjoy having it for long car trips (I get lost easily in a strange town) I really am interested in the acreage calculation function. I know it won't substitute for a survey, but it would give me a rough idea of the shapes I need.
I emailed customer service at Magellan (?) and they recommended a unit. Trouble is, I went to the product description and nowhere does it mention an acreage calculation function. Now I wonder iof the CSR knew what he was talking about.
Ican spend up to about $500.
anyone have any experience using a GPS for acreage calculation? If so, recommendations?

No experience with that particular function, but try giving Garmin a call. Or check their website at www.garmin.com. You may or may not find the function you are looking for on the site, but there should be a customer service number there so you can ask someone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista GPS and it does have a feature for measuring area - although I've never used it.

It will measure a track area in acres, hectares, Sq feet, Sq yds, Sq meters, Sq kilometers, and Sq miles.

You can download the owners manual at www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/ .
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I checked the site you provided. Lo and behold, the owner's manual DID provide instructions on how to calculate acreage.
Problem solved.
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top