Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 1/8/2012 8:12:53 AM EDT

Our disposal is no bueno for shit right now. It got jammed up with some strings from tea bags. We pulled the strings out. But still won't turn.

I can turn the flywheel with an allen wrench without a problem. However, when you hit the power switch, it won't turn the grinder. It just hums & eventually pops the fuse. If you put the allen wrench in the bottom & hit the switch, it will turn once and then stop turning again.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:13:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JLH3:

Our disposal is no bueno for shit right now. It got jammed up with some strings from tea bags. We pulled the strings out. But still won't turn.

I can turn the flywheel with an allen wrench without a problem. However, when you hit the power switch, it won't turn the grinder. It just hums & eventually pops the fuse. If you put the allen wrench in the bottom & hit the switch, it will turn once and then stop turning again.

Any ideas?

Should be able to turn it form the bottom. Backwards maybe?

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:16:25 AM EDT
Does the grinder turn? There is a cheap $5 tool that allows you to spin the grinder.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:19:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VRMN8R:

Any ideas?

I can turn it freely by hand, but the motor won't spin it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:20:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VRMN8R:

Any ideas?

I can turn it freely by hand, but the motor won't spin it.
HMMM.
Ive been away from plumbing for a long time so I may have forgotten a lot of stuff.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:23:11 AM EDT
You likely have a shorted winding or, if it has an internal capacitor, the cap is shot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:24:38 AM EDT
You let the thing just sit there and hum while it was jammed up until the fuse blew?

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:31:00 AM EDT
I'd be inclined to get a new one if the easy fixes don't work.
easy to install -least mine was
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:38:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 69cutlass:
I'd be inclined to get a new one if the easy fixes don't work.
easy to install -least mine was

I'd bet money it will take a new one. You can't just let an electric motor sit there and run when it's bound up. Fuses blow because there's too much current draw, if a motor is drawing too much current because it's been sitting there running while it was bound up 99% of the time the motor is going to be fucked up.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:41:26 AM EDT
Mine did something similiar when I tried to dispose of some hops.

I had to spin the disposal with the allen wrench on the bottom. I made a dozen or two rotations, both backwards and forwards. Eventually it free'd up and worked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:44:59 AM EDT
If the motor smelled you are done.

Ps. Costco has a nice disposal.
Top Top