Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2017 11:26:43 AM EDT
Here's a few links to get things started.

I hope to get some good videos and pics later today.

Really looking forward to the B-1B flyover at .9 MACH then unrestricted climb!

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/News/Photos/igsearch/doolittle/

https://www.facebook.com/AFmuseum/

https://www.daytonlocal.com/events/75th-anniversary-of-the-doolittle-tokyo-raid.asp

B-25 Mitchell bombers from around the country will once again take to the skies before landing at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force as part of a two-day tribute commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the Doolittle Tokyo Raid, April 17-18.

Current plans call for 17 B-25 bombers to land on the runway behind the museum on April 17 and be placed on static display from 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. The aircraft will remain available for public view on April 18 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., before departing for a flyover prior to the start of a memorial service in the museum's Memorial Park at 2:15 p.m.

The memorial service is scheduled to conclude with a flight of two B-1 bombers from the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, which were two of the four Army Air Corps Squadrons from which the B-25 aircrews were selected for the Doolittle Raid. These events are free and open to the public. (Note: All outdoor events are weather dependent. The memorial service will still take place indoors in the event of inclement weather.)

Of the 80 Raiders led by James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle in 1942, only one survives today - Lt. Col. Richard "Dick" E. Cole - who served as Doolittle's co-pilot on Crew No. 1. Cole, now 101 years old, plans to be at the museum to commemorate the anniversary and will privately honor fellow Raider SSgt. David Thatcher, who passed away last year.
EVENT HIGHLIGHTS:
Subject to change

Author book signings throughout the day April 17 & 18 at the museum store.
B-25 bombers will be on static display on the runway behind the museum April 17 from 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and April 18 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Memorial Service and Wreath Laying April 18 at 2:30 p.m.
B-25 bomber flyover - April 18 at 2:15 p.m.  
B-1 bomber flyover from the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons - April 18 at approx. 3:15 p.m.
“Doolittle’s Raiders:  The Final Toast” in the museum theatre - please note this event is sold out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
They gave them hell.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Doolittle Raid Over Tokyo WWII Newsreel (Great Original Footage)
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was a kid in the 50's I reread '30 Seconds Over Tokyo' at least 6 times.  Brave men, all!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Brave men.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I always loved the B-25 bomber. Those guys had balls of steel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was a kid in the 50's I reread '30 Seconds Over Tokyo' at least 6 times.  Brave men, all!
View Quote
It was the 70's for me, I think I read it the same number of times.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting

Google doesn't pay tribute to our brave service members on this anniversary

Check out who they ARE paying tribute to today
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Doolittle's autobiography I Could Never Be That Lucky Again (or close to that) is a fantastic read.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Jimmy was the only famous person in my family
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome. I wish I could be there to see it. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
While many people know that Doolittle's squadron was forced, by fuel limitations, to fly on to China to land. Some made it and some had to ditch. 

What many people don't know is the fact that it was an American Missionary who had become a Captain in the Army Air Force that got a number of the survivors of Doolittle's raid out of China. That USAAF Captain was John Birch, who was later killed by Chinese Communists in 1945. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Some pics I took several years ago when the B-25's flew into Grimes field in Urbana a day before they flew into Wright-Patt.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Men of steel.

What a great way to celebrate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Awesome. I wish I could be there to see it. 
View Quote
It really is awesome!

5 years ago for the 70th they took a couple laps right over my house!

This year I hope to get right up close to the runway.

Those B-1Bs will be bad ass too!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#18]
The Liberty Air Museum's Georgie's Girl is there.

I've been in that plane. She's a damn nice aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Balls the size of cantaloupes and made of brass.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#20]
More about the B-1B flyover.

http://fairborndailyherald.com/news/16470/b-1-flyover-planned-for-doolittle-anniversary

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE – Two B-1 bombers from the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, will participate in a high-speed flyover at the National Museum of the United States Air Force exactly 75 years after aircrews from these same squadrons helped launch the Doolittle Tokyo Raid.

Plans call for the B-1 flyover to take place approximately 3:15 p.m. Tuesday, April 18 at the conclusion of the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders’ memorial service in the museum’s Memorial Park (weather dependent). The flyover will offer visitors a unique opportunity to witness the speed and power of two variable-sweep wing supersonic bombers as they fly by at a speed of 0.9 Mach and then ascend into an unrestricted climb.

Although the 34th and 37th Bomb Squadrons have gone on to fly a variety of aircraft since the Doolittle Tokyo Raid (B-26, B-58, B-66, B-52 and B-1), and transitioned to other commands (they now fall under the command of the 28th Operations Group) – the Raid remains the very cornerstone of their heritage, said 28th Operations Group Commander Col. John Martin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]
.9 Mach into an unrestricted climb....

America, fuck yea!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I am waiting out on one of the old runways too.   Took a day off work for this. Really nice clear skies today.
Vehicle traffic could have been handled better - lots of people and cars at the museum today.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I've read about Doolittle's raid since I was a kid.  Those guys had big, brass, balls.  Just taking off in a heavily laden bomber from a carrier was no small feat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Made it just in time. This place is packed! People lining the streets!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Maid In The Shade (blue engine cowlings) is stationed here locally.
Just the other day she went screaming overhead much lower than usual

I bet she was on her way to the anniversary.  Glorious aircraft, gives me goose bumps every time
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Made it just in time. This place is packed! People lining the streets!
View Quote
I hate you

In all seriousness, take lots of pics.  And post them here of course
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Men of steel.

What a great way to celebrate.
View Quote
Men of steel, indeed.

My great-uncle was a surgeon aboard the Hornet, assigned to the ship from her commissioning through the Doolittle Raid, the Battle of Midway, and on to her loss at the Battle of Santa Cruz. He was later assigned to the Wasp (CV-18), and was aboard for the retaking of Wake Island, the battles of the Philippine Sea and Leyte Gulf, and the invasion of Iwo Jima. He would go on to serve with the Sixth Fleet throughout the 50's, eventually retiring as a Rear Admiral. Not too bad for a German-Texan kid from the tiny, arid dirt-farming community of Nordheim, Texas.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad's land based naval squadron (VB-142) flew PV-1 Ventura ground attack bombers and as they were being shipped to Hawaii for central Pacific combat, had their aircraft fitted enroute for catapult launching.  My dad asked his skipper why that was being done (since the PV-1 was unable to land on a carrier) and he pulled his head cover down over his ears and walked away with no answer.  Several days later they received the news that Doolittle's squadron had bombed Japan.  To a man, my dad's squadron were convinced afterwards that they were next at bat for a Japan attack if the Doolittle raid had failed.  They all also considered the Ventura (PV-1 Ventura:  Lockheed's Forgotten Warbird at web.archive.org) to be a superior aircraft to the Mitchell and could have made a better showing with greater range, a heavier bomb load and greater speed.  

After Hawaii and Midway they went on to tear the holy hell out of the enemy around Tarawa and other central Pacific locations, were thought fondly of by the Marines, and with the loss of only one aircrew.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#30]
The significance of that raid was more than to boost American morale.  It inspired the Japanese to launch an attack against Midway and we all know the result of that battle.  God bless those brave men.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Here's a few pics.

Sorry for the quality. It's a cellphone, it's windy and I can only use one hand (just had shoulder surgery).

A few pics are to show how many are here watching.

Will post some videos when I get them uploaded.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Now I'm waiting for the B-1B flyover!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Dawn Thatcher, wife of the late Doolittle Raider Staff Sgt. David Thatcher, pours three fingers
of Hennessey on the landing gears of the Ruptured Duck B-1 Aircraft, as
part of a ceremony for the new Ruptured Duck artwork, Apr. 17, 2017 at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The pouring of the most elite of
fluids is a long held superstition, which is said to provide a safe
flight for those that serve on the aircraft. (U.S. Air Force photo by
Wesley Farnsworth)

Becky Thatcher, daughter of the late Doolittle Raider Staff Sgt. David Thatcher, and U.S. Air
Force Tech. Sgt. William Hatten from 28th Maintenance Squadron from
Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., Ruptured Duck dedicated crew chief,
unveil the newest rendition of the Ruptured Duck artwork during a
ceremony for the new Ruptured Duck artwork, Apr. 17, 2017 at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The original artwork featured a
cross-eyed duck, wearing a leather helmet, staring out over crossed
crutches. (U.S. Air Force photo by Wesley Farnsworth)
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Interesting

Google doesn't pay tribute to our brave service members on this anniversary

Check out who they ARE paying tribute to today
View Quote
Fucking assholes!  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#38]
When we were at Minot AFB in 1968, the old M/SGT. that lived next door to us had been a waist gunner on a B25 in WW2.

At some point in his life he'd married a German girl/lady.  Their two daughters were younger than me and I was in the 5th grade.  They'd waited very late in life to have children for some reason.  Very nice people, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dawn Thatcher, wife of the late Doolittle Raider Staff Sgt. David Thatcher, pours three fingers
of Hennessey on the landing gears of the Ruptured Duck B-1 Aircraft, as
part of a ceremony for the new Ruptured Duck artwork, Apr. 17, 2017 at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The pouring of the most elite of
fluids is a long held superstition, which is said to provide a safe
flight for those that serve on the aircraft. (U.S. Air Force photo by
Wesley Farnsworth)
https://media.defense.gov/2017/Apr/17/2001733630/888/591/0/170417-F-AV193-0218.JPG

Becky Thatcher, daughter of the late Doolittle Raider Staff Sgt. David Thatcher, and U.S. Air
Force Tech. Sgt. William Hatten from 28th Maintenance Squadron from
Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., Ruptured Duck dedicated crew chief,
unveil the newest rendition of the Ruptured Duck artwork during a
ceremony for the new Ruptured Duck artwork, Apr. 17, 2017 at
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. The original artwork featured a
cross-eyed duck, wearing a leather helmet, staring out over crossed
crutches. (U.S. Air Force photo by Wesley Farnsworth)
https://media.defense.gov/2017/Apr/17/2001733625/888/591/0/170417-F-AV193-0092.JPG
View Quote
God bless Ms Thatcher.

And this is for Ruptured Duck and her crew
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw it from my office window.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Some of the B-25's flew right over our building.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Some of the B-25's flew right over our building.
View Quote
Did you see the B-1Bs? I know you heard them!

I almost missed them.

Was talking to the guy parked next to me and just happened to look up and there they were. I didn't hear a thing until they were about on top of us. They were so low and freakin moving QUICK! LOUDER than hell too!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
amazing
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is someone's video from today.

I hope to upload mine soon.

But I just about missed the B-1Bs and this video is better.
B1-B Flyover Wright-Patt AFB Doolittle Anniversary
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have an original 1st edition on the shelf
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#48]
that's an amazing pic.    amazing men.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did you see the B-1Bs? I know you heard them!

I almost missed them.

Was talking to the guy parked next to me and just happened to look up and there they were. I didn't hear a thing until they were about on top of us. They were so low and freakin moving QUICK! LOUDER than hell too!
View Quote
I missed the B-1B's. Had to run to a store and return something. When I got back they already did their fly by.

My buddies in the office said they flew by then pointed them up at about a 45 degree angle and disappeared into the sky. They said they were quite loud.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Y'all who've never been up close to a B-1... they are MASSIVE.
Especially considering what they're capable of, it's truly astonishing how big those things are
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top