User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad's land based naval squadron (VB-142) flew PV-1 Ventura ground attack bombers and as they were being shipped to Hawaii for central Pacific combat, had their aircraft fitted enroute for catapult launching.  My dad asked his skipper why that was being done (since the PV-1 was unable to land on a carrier) and he pulled his head cover down over his ears and walked away with no answer.  Several days later they received the news that Doolittle's squadron had bombed Japan.  To a man, my dad's squadron were convinced afterwards that they were next at bat for a Japan attack if the Doolittle raid had failed.  They all also considered the Ventura (PV-1 Ventura:  Lockheed's Forgotten Warbird at web.archive.org) to be a superior aircraft to the Mitchell and could have made a better showing with greater range, a heavier bomb load and greater speed.  

After Hawaii and Midway they went on to tear the holy hell out of the enemy around Tarawa and other central Pacific locations, were thought fondly of by the Marines, and with the loss of only one aircrew.
View Quote
The PV-1 Ventura was a great plane but I think the B25 was used because it could take off with a full load in a shorter space. The PV-1 was superseded by the PV-2 mainly due to this fact.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Retired Lt. Col. Dick Cole is the last living Doolittle Raider.
God bless him

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have an original 1st edition on the shelf
View Quote
I gave mine to a grandson.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
4 of the B-25s flew around my house and I saw them.  Heard the B0nes but didn't see them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I was fortunate enough to meet and talk with Lt. Col. Dick Cole on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor a few months ago.

It was an honor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
4 of the B-25s flew around my house and I saw them.  Heard the B0nes but didn't see them.
View Quote
Hello neighbor!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my video of the B-25 Mitchells at take off.

B-25 Mitchells Take Off at 75th Anniversary of Doolittle Tokyo Raid
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I always find interesting that of the thousands, in some cases like  rifles millions of weapons that were produced to fight the war so few of them exist today.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
B-25 Mitchells 75th Anniversary of Doolittle Tokyo Raid Flyover Wright Patterson Air Force Museum
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some pics I took several years ago when the B-25's flew into Grimes field in Urbana a day before they flew into Wright-Patt.
View Quote
Thanks for sharing these!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Heres my quick video of the B-1Bs.

Like I said before, they showed up from out of nowhere and I almost completely missed them.

They were much lower than I thought they would be and .9 MACH is freakin fast!

The sound was amazing! They were pretty much silent until they were almost overhead, then some of the loudest machines Ive ever heard!

B-1B Flyover 75th Anniversary Doolittle Tokyo Raid Wright Patt Air Force Museum
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the pictures
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Dammit I was in Dayton today on business but I couldn't get over to Wright Pat.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always find interesting that of the thousands, in some cases like  rifles millions of weapons that were produced to fight the war so few of them exist today.
View Quote
There are some really cool websites out there that have some great detail about the post war salvage / scrap effort.  Sad in some ways, but in many ways the recycled materials of those war machines helped fuel industry and economy growth in the post war years.

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/cleaning-up-after-wwii/

OP, thanks for the pictures and info.  Just pissed off my wife by blaring the B1 flyover in my speakers.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
.9 Mach into an unrestricted climb....

America, fuck yea!
View Quote
that is my dream to see something like that in real life
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Last one.

From a few days ago, they flew over my house.

B-25 Mitchell's in town for 75th Anniversary Doolittle Tokyo Raid Anniversary
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I was there, and it was awesome, in the original sense of the word.

I set up right at the fence behind Memorial Park, and had a fine if distant view of the runway. I had to shoot pictures through the fence, but was pleased with the results. Just the sight of the magnificent aircraft taxiing and taking flight, followed by them flying by in the tribute formation and then The Missing Man kept a lump in my throat the whole time.

in formation

Missing Man

Strolling through the Memorial Park is a moving experience. To read the many memorials that commemorate individuals, units, and events leaves you grateful for the many that sacrificed so much for freedom.

I wanted to shoot video of the B1 pass, but they snuck up on me; I was facing the other direction in salute while Taps was sounded, and turned just in time to see them roar overhead. :)

One more observation: after the B25 formations flew over, the crowd near the fence turned and headed back to Memorial Park to watch the service. At that moment, the band began to play the National Anthem, and the crowd stopped in their tracks and removed their hats or saluted if they were in uniform. It was almost as though a switch had been flipped - I've never seen anything like it. Crowds at events like this can be crass and boorish, but not this crowd. It was a wonderful tribute.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top