Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 12:06:19 PM EDT
We got of rid of the 20 year old, 0 problem refrigerator/ freezer and replaced it with a new GE Profile model. Wifey wanted the extra space it provided and the stainless steel finish.

It failed sometime during the night and when I checked it this AM - the internal temp was 55. A technician has been dispatched so I'm sure it will be running again today (I suspect a thermistor).

Now my question - am I due any compensation for the contents of the appliance? I would estimate that we lost at least $400 in food items.

..or this just a "tough shit" kind of situation?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If either one is open today call the store or the MFG's customer service.

ETA If they won't, call your renters or homeowners ins company.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine gave me money for groceries .
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
These threads make me wonder.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately i say kinda falls under the SOL. I lost all contents in my main fridge and freezer in the garage last year due to a power outage, it does suck. Doesn't take long when its 110 outside.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Give me a break OP....
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give me a break OP....
View Quote

Why? It's a reasonable request.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Different scenario, but my frig died in my apartment last year. Frig was practically empty. They gave me a new one, and when I brought up my groceries to management they cut that months rent in half along with a 100$ gift card to the grocery store.

Moral of the story is, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
My fridge is over 20 years old.
I really don't want to buy a newer one as I hear they don't last nearly as long.
However, I want ice and water in the door (current one doesn't have that feature).

What is the most trouble free brand?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a break OP....

I would disagree.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Read your warranty. I would bet it states they are not liable for food loss due to warranty issues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Read your warranty. I would bet it states they are not liable for food loss due to warranty issues.
View Quote

Depends on the warranty. Some warrantees will cover food items.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I just googled "refrigerator loss of food warranty" and everyone I looked at stated that food spoilage due to product failure isn't covered.

Like it was said above: doesn't hurt to ask anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Did you leave the doors open all night?

I've lost power before and everything survived for a day or so without it running.
View Quote
I was wondering the same thing.

Internal temp went to 55 in a few hours? Something's fucky... sounds like it was broken from the get-go.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
You bought a $1200+ refrigerator, it failed after 90 days ruining $400 of your property, and you think GE should be responsible for selling a piece of crap and replace the property their product failed to protect?  I bet the product was warrantied for more than 90 days too.

That sounds mighty FSA of you OP.  You should be grateful that it ran for 90 days and enjoy the experience of possibly getting to take a day off work to meet their repairman.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've lost power before and everything survived for a day or so without it running.
View Quote

Kinda my thoughts as well but didn't want to kick him while he's down. Maybe it actually quit some time yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's the GE warranty. It looks like they only cover food on the freezer-only models

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71H2DMriUFS.pdf

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
When I asked about replacing contents of the fridge they said "sure, just send us the receipt for what you had in there."

Like I had the receipt for everything in there.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I bet they will want a receipt for the lost food before they will pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Depends on where you bought it and the manufacturer.

Some cover it and some let you buy an extended type warranty that will cover more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

His broke after 3 months. You had a power outage...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately i say kinda falls under the SOL. I lost all contents in my main fridge and freezer in the garage last year due to a power outage, it does suck. Doesn't take long when its 110 outside.

His broke after 3 months. You had a power outage...

My homeowners covers both. Recently we left for a few days. The power went out and came back on. The breaker popped when it came back on. Neighbor said it flickered on/off several times. I have a clause for food in fridge and freezer no deductible.

It also covers food in cabinets and storage if they become unusable due to being wet or some other unusable circumstsnce. It cost me like 5 bucks every 6 months.

It does not cover if the power goes out and we make no attempt to save food like a cooler, genny ect. Past 24 hrs though they consider it unreasonable.

Now you have me thinking. We where gone a week recently and we would never know if the power was out long enough to make food questionable for consumption. I wonder if somone makes a wireless sensor that keeps track.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Internal temp went to 55 in a few hours? Something's fucky... sounds like it was broken from the get-go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If its anything like my GE profile, it would pump warm air into the fridge.  Fucking junk.  Never will buy GE's shit ass appliances again.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#24]
My insurance Co (U SAA)cut me a check, no questions asked for the food in 2 refrigerators, a few summers back when storms knocked out our power for 2 days...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Door switch left the lights on.

OP, set your door open alarm.  Leave it on all the time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If its anything like my GE profile, it would pump warm air into the fridge.  Fucking junk.  Never will buy GE's shit ass appliances again.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what occurred.

I had really expected a little more from a $2000 refrigerator.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a break OP....

Falls under that line on the warranty registration about incidental damages NOT covered, except in some states.  Losing the food would be an incidental damage, so check your local consumer advocate site.  You get 50 answers here 49 are from other states and the one from your state is usually wrong.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If either one is open today call the store or the MFG's customer service.

ETA If they won't, call your renters or homeowners ins company.
View Quote

I would check with the retailer and mfg, but I would never file an insurance claim over it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would disagree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a break OP....

I would disagree.

I bought a container designed to protect the contents within.

If you had a Pelican case and it failed due to manufacturer defect, do you just say "Oh well", when it comes to the $5k night-vision and other contents which were destroyed as a result??
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you had a Pelican case and it failed due to manufacturer defect, do you just say "Oh well", when it comes to the $5k night-vision and other contents which were destroyed as a result??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a break OP....

I would disagree.

Absolutely... because I am not communist FSA scum

I would then send the company a check for $5,000 for having had the privilige of doing business with them.

Seriously, OP are you so broke that $400 worth of food bothers you?  My brand new refrigerator broke down after a day and I bought another one for $5k that same day.  I actually forgot my wallet when I went to the store but it turns out I had that much rolling around in change in the center console of my Murcielago, but of course I had to go back home to get my 2015 F-350 king ranch dually (that I paid cash for) to actually transport the fridge home.  It kinda sucked because when I was carrying the fridge in I turned a corner and broke the frame that I keep the deed to my house in, that pissed me off since I've had that in a frame since I turned 18 and bought the house for cash

Oh well, why don't you cry to GE for compensation... this is why the libs have won and hitlery will be elected

(the above is GD style hyperbole in case anyone was actually going to take that seriously)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would disagree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a break OP....

I would disagree.

Any company thats worth a shit would compensate for the loss.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a break OP....

I would disagree.

Any grown man worth a shit would not demand it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a break OP....

I would disagree.

What happens when your brand new car breaks down? Just make payments on the thing while it sits in the shop for 3 weeks waiting for parts? Get your own rental? Pay your own tow bill?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What happens when your brand new car breaks down? Just make payments on the thing while it sits in the shop for 3 weeks waiting for parts? Get your own rental? Pay your own tow bill?
View Quote

If the AC breaks down and you get sweat stains on your shirt do you demand that that the dealer buy you a new shirt?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Life isn't "fair", who told you it was?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If the AC breaks down and you get sweat stains on your shirt do you demand that that the dealer buy you a new shirt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll ask for it. Just like if a waitress spills a drink on me the restaurant owner will gladly pay your dry cleaning bill.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about if the trunk leaks and ruins your laptop? On a 90 day old car. Shit happens? I want customers like you
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What about if the trunk leaks and ruins your laptop? On a 90 day old car. Shit happens? I want customers like you
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know that DK quote you have as a sig line is in direct relation to me...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is what occurred.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what occurred.

Welcome to any appliance mfg from about 2000 and on, we have bought several from cook top, double oven, dishwasher, fridge, freezer, washer dryer. pretty much all of them are worse than the ones we replaced .

Out of that list only the cook top has not quit, one - seven times.  The finish on the cook top started coming off about 3 years in
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#41]
List of $400.00 in food lost overnight at 55 degrees ? Frozen food would still be frozen and beer and soda is still good, if it warms up a bit and can be made cold again. Unless it was a fridge full of fish I think the food is still good.

OH I figured it out, it was full of lobster tails.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
List of $400.00 in food lost overnight at 55 degrees ? Frozen food would still be frozen and beer and soda is still good, if it warms up a bit and can be made cold again. Unless it was a fridge full of fish I think the food is still good.

OH I figured it out, it was full of lobster tails.
View Quote

I'm mostly concerned about all of the unique sauces and marinades we have collected over the last year. Those can't be replaced without hopping a plane or having them shipped, after liaising with the owners of the store/ restaurant who don't do online orders.

There was a Poutine sauce in there, which we picked up at the Farmer's Market in Vancouver, BC that I would commit crimes for. I also had a pretty awesome Roux from NOLA that was ridiculous awesome. I'm going through there next week and can re-supply... though.

Heck, I have wedges of cheese in there that were 30 bucks, easy. That shit adds up. I'm hoping the cheeses will be ok, though....

I'm not concerned about the yellow mustard, miracle whip or the Kraft singles.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a brand new KitchenAid shit the bed.

Got reimbursed for the food and a new fridge showed up on my front doorstep in less than 2 days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#44]
My warranty covers up to $200 in lost items.

Why be a chump and take the loss when the company is willing to compensate for their POS item?

Some people on this site just LOVE to take an ass raping if it makes them feel better about themselves against others.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#45]
GE appliances=Fail
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#47]
The extended service plans we sell at work cover $250 in food loss per occurrence. They take effect from day one. Manufacturer will tell you to pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#48]
My father had an upright freezer from the 1960's until last year that still worked.  He had the electric company come and pick it up and they gave him $50.00 for it.

I had a chest freezer in the basement of the house I bought that must be from 1989.  I gave it to my brother and he is still using it.

They must have built to last back in those days.

I have a newer GE refrigerator in my kitchen and that thing makes a hell of a noise every few days whining and running forever.  I have thermometers in it and an external one also just so I can check the temperatures every time I walk by it.  Same with a refrigerator and a smaller chest freezer in my basement.  

I have been considering buying alarms for them to let me know if the temperature drops as I lose power all the time.

My brother had a new refrigerator that crapped out when they were away camping and his insurance company paid for all the lost food.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Had a brand new KitchenAid shit the bed.

Got reimbursed for the food and a new fridge showed up on my front doorstep in less than 2 days.
View Quote

Thats how its done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

GE appliances=Fail
View Quote
Amen, GE appliances suck ass.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top