Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2016 5:15:38 PM EDT
I own a DPMS LR-308, have the lower set up just the way I want it, and was thinking of picking up a 16" upper to be able to play with it at some shorter ranges.  Every complete upper that I can find for sale is in the 800-1100 range, or out of stock.  Even used uppers, yet complete 16" rifles are going for anywhere from 800-1200 for a basic model.  Do I just buy the complete rifle and try to sell off the lower later?  Or are 308's that desirable right now that everyone is buying them?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Aero has a 16" upper for $489 right now. Add a $169 BCG that's also on sale and you're at $650.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer 2 guns to a gun and a half.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll check out the Aero, I didn't realize they had any, I checked out JP, DPMS, PSA, AIM, and a bunch of others, but didn't know about those.  The AIM uppers look great, but they are 18 and 20, not 16.  I guess the 18 would work just fine, if I decide to go with 1 1/2 rifles instead of 2.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Given the substantial propriety rampant in the 308 game, there is simply no economy of scale in selling 308 uppers. Also, demand is lower than for 5.56. Market issues.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I don't know how I missed these at AIM, but 490 with a BCG, it's almost too good to pass up.  Even though it's 18" instead of 16.  I've got a shot at getting a used 16" upper without BCG but it's 375, add a BCG for 169 and I'm still over the 500 mark.  Plus I've done lots of business with AIM and had good luck with them.

Does anyone have an Alexandria and can testify to quality?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get the complete rifle and want to get rid of the lower let me know.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two .308 rifles. Not much use for half of one unless you get the other half.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I know it's not in your poll but you could consider building your own upper.  Aero M5 ($135), Ballistic advantage barrel ($230 or lower if you look), Upper parts kit (maybe $40+/-), BCG ($120) and charging handle ($20) and you're done at a lower cost (under $600).
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know it's not in your poll but you could consider building your own upper.  Aero M5 ($135), Ballistic advantage barrel ($230 or lower if you look), Upper parts kit (maybe $40+/-), BCG ($120) and charging handle ($20) and you're done at a lower cost (under $600).
View Quote

I'll take a look at that combo of parts, but I figured a used complete upper would be the cheapest option, and am finding out it's not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Aero M5 is one of the cheapest ways to get into the 308 at game.

308 ARs are expensive, there is less competition in the market and much less interchangeability.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

308 ARs are expensive, there is less competition in the market and much less interchangeability.

View Quote

Without doing a bunch of research, are the M5 a quality choice?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy with mine.

Not the best 308 rifle but good. It's no Cadillac but it's a reliable Chevy.

Also I would buy a complete rifle or at least the major components from the same manufacturer as not all parts are interchangable.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Given the substantial propriety rampant in the 308 game, there is simply no economy of scale in selling 308 uppers. Also, demand is lower than for 5.56. Market issues.
View Quote

This guy nailed it. Could not have said it better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Happy with mine.

Also I would buy a complete rifle or at least the major components from the same manufacturer as not all parts are interchangable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy with mine.

Cool. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Pay close attention to the gas system length.  Rifle length systems shoot much more smoothly, and with softer recoil...   Mid length gas systems increase felt recoil, speed with which the system reciprocates, and how much battering the parts get.  I doubt manufacturers would sell systems that they know will beat the hell out of your rifle.  I just prefer softer recoil, smoother operation (cycling), less wear and tear on brass, and less wear and tear on they system in general.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Build.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't know how I missed these at AIM, but 490 with a BCG, it's almost too good to pass up.  Even though it's 18" instead of 16.  I've got a shot at getting a used 16" upper without BCG but it's 375, add a BCG for 169 and I'm still over the 500 mark.  Plus I've done lots of business with AIM and had good luck with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Already had two 7.62 ARs when I heard of them, or I'd probably have tried one myself.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll take a look at that combo of parts, but I figured a used complete upper would be the cheapest option, and am finding out it's not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops, I forgot a few parts.    Add a hundred bucks or so for a gas block and rifle length gas tube.

But....subtract $75 for the upper: Blem stripped DPMS upper for $59

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, doing the math on building an upper, and finding the one on AIM by Alexandria, with everything complete, and a BCG, which was listed in the buildout at 129, but I couldn't find anywhere for less than 159, I decided to pull the plug on one the Alexandria uppers.  It should be here by next Tuesday, and I'll mate it up with my current lower for the time being.

Although now I'm scouring the web for parts to build another lower (DPMS pattern) and it seems like they are out of stock just about everywhere.
I see a couple of build kits, or complete lowers, but they are all 350-700 depending on parts/quality.  What's the cheapest anyone has built a complete lower for?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does suck that Magpul basically resurrected the "large-frame AR" with a cheap common magazine, and then every maker and their cousin proceeded to design proprietary shit for it.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Got the upper in, looks really good.  It'll be a couple weeks before I get it out to shoot, meanwhile I keep looking and hoping that someone will get lowers back in stock somewhere so I can build the other half of the rifle.  I'll mate it up with the lower I have for now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Just built a match grade .308 AR10 for half the price of a complete rifle from Alexander Arms...

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I prefer 2 guns to a gun and a half.
View Quote

If the wrong half of the one and a half fails, you are left with zero not one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, for those who have posted about looking for a lower, I got an e-mail from AIM that the lowers were back in stock just yesterday, ordered one, and now will have 2 complete rifles when it all gets here and I get it together.

If you are looking for a DPMS pattern lower, you won't beat this price anywhere from what I have been researching, and that's if you can find anything in stock right now.

Just went to the page to link it here, and apparently there were a lot of us waiting for it to become available because it's already sold out again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Got everything in, was a pain putting in the magazine release and getting it twisted in far enough without scratching the frame, since the bolt release comes pre-installed.  Everything went together great, now to get it out to the range.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#27]
We are in the middle of a panic buy man.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#28]
http://www.shop.ar15hardware.com/category.sc?categoryId=35

Not affiliated at all. Wrong coast. But I've had good luck with their stuff
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#29]
get a 6.5 and call it a day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top