Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/5/2016 12:44:28 PM EDT
I recently purchased my APF 308 AR upper/lower from AIM and asked about it, appears it is pretty new and unknown. It is my first 308 AR and I know 308AR is always an adventure! Almost cancelled my order while there is no review out there! Decided to take a chance. It is a decent price!
Put my AR together and took it to the range for the first time. Happy! Fired 40 rounds with Pakistani surplus 7.62x51 and it functions flawless with Magpul 10 rnd mag and D&H 20 rnd mag. It was pretty much a function check but group is decent at 50 yds considering surplus ammo  and shooting from a rocking 4x4 block. Recoil is mild and brass eject at 3 O'clock, no brass damage!

It is a cheap build and all together bring to less than $700 for a complete free float 308 AR with AR15 LPK and stock that I already have. AIM's APF  upper ($460) and  lower ($120), + GunTech 308 Carbine buffer ( $22 shipped), 308 buffer spring from Amazon ($12 shipped) and eBay 308 pivot/ take down pins ($11 shipped).

Picture below is the 18" MidLength Gas System APF AR with Magpul 10 rnd mag in rifle and D&H mag at the side. Both mags would drop free from my APF. I heard they won't in PSA PA-10. Target is 50 yds, one 5 shot group and one 10 shot group in the picture.

APF 308 AR is GTG! D&H 308 AR mag is also pretty new with no review out there. It is GTG!

One thing bothers me about the APF free float tube is it is APF unique T-MOD tube which uses APF rail mount that is not included. Not big deal, I can always make my own or order from APF.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPF30818U8459900&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=258da5b712-03042016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-258da5b712-17900345
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1PF308L8450011&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=258da5b712-03042016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-258da5b712-17900345
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info...been wondering about the rifle myself, appreciate it
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Been wondering about this myself. Where did you get the lower for $120? What do you mean by APF unique T-MOD tube? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been wondering about this myself. Where did you get the lower for $120? What do you mean by APF unique T-MOD tube? Thanks
View Quote

AIM also sells the APF lower. My 2nd link is the lower they sell. In stock when I checked yesterday. APF customer service told me their uppers also fit PSA lower which sometimes on sale at $79 but I did not want to risk it.
Link to T-MOD tube and rail is below. It is a T-slot setup that you can slide the rail by loosening the screws (#10-32) but the slot is tiny and not that easy to make the slot screw mounting plate yourself. It is not much wider than #10 screw and have to center the screw holes perfectly if you intend to use #10 screws. I just make one myself and use #8 screws. APT sells the long mounting plate at $5 a piece with $3 shipping. I guess I can always have the mounting back plate behind the T-slot instead of inside the slot but I don't know if that would crush the slot. It looks pretty strong construction.
http://www.apfarmory.com/rails/
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

They use their own propriety method of attaching rails to the hand guard, basically you slide a metal plate in guides that are extruded into the rail, then run screws through the slot and into the plate through their pictinany rails. So it's not M-Lok or Keymod. You can buy the rail sections directly from http://www.apfarmory.com/

Edit: so i did some talking to with Alex Pro Firearms  (APF Armory) the story on the Alex Pro Firearms parts is this. They rejected some parts they had made for them. Sent them back to alex pro fab. They were supposed to destroy them per contract but instead one of the mangers decided to sell them to AIM surplus.  So all warranty claims have to go through alex pro fab, but if you need parts like rail sections etc APF Armory will gladly sell you parts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Pretty decent groups with no sights. How far were your shooting? 2 feet?
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered the upper an lower over the weekend.

I don't get the rail at all. I think I will look for something a little bit shorter.

I wonder if a Troy battle rail for DPMS would fit on here?

JR
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ordered the upper an lower over the weekend.

I don't get the rail at all. I think I will look for something a little bit shorter.

I wonder if a Troy battle rail for DPMS would fit on here?

JR
View Quote

You got it together yet?
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted to buy one but AIM won't sell to NJ.  I've been a great customer of theirs over the years, 3k over the past 3 months alone, but won't buy from them any longer.  Can't imagine why they won't sell a legal lower to NJ or the other states they listed.  All that does is give in to the anti's

nice write up though, was looking at doing the same thing
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I also bought the upper from AIM.  I had purchased a DPMS Oracle LR 308 carbine with the 16" barrel back in January.  I got it for a steal at Rural King for $600.  It was one of their daily deals.  I wanted an 18' with FF handguard to make it more of a precision 308, but figured at that price I could change anything I wanted.  I really like the upper, and in-fact, I really like the handguard.  I purchased a small piece of rail from APF to mount a UTG ractical bi-pod.  They were very helpful.   I changed the stock to the LuthAR carbine stock and used a Hogue grip.  For optics, I put a Nikon M308 scope w/BDC and a set of Amazon 45 degree irons.  The DPMS trigger was horribly gritty, so I ordered a Geissele SSA that should be here this week. I have about 60 rounds through it, and I believe it will be a good shooter as soon as I get the trigger situation remedied.  

Here is is stock:

and with most of the new goodies...

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag for more reviews.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Did anyone successfully replace the handguard with some other brand?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the weight?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Just ordered an upper from aim!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Im glad I saw this thread before I posted something..... I had questions on what upper fits the Alexandria lower, and this answered it..... lol....

Very nice build, OP
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Curious on this as well as weight...thx in advance
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

AIM also sells the APF lower. My 2nd link is the lower they sell. In stock when I checked yesterday. APF customer service told me their uppers also fit PSA lower which sometimes on sale at $79 but I did not want to risk it.
Link to T-MOD tube and rail is below. It is a T-slot setup that you can slide the rail by loosening the screws (#10-32) but the slot is tiny and not that easy to make the slot screw mounting plate yourself. It is not much wider than #10 screw and have to center the screw holes perfectly if you intend to use #10 screws. I just make one myself and use #8 screws. APT sells the long mounting plate at $5 a piece with $3 shipping. I guess I can always have the mounting back plate behind the T-slot instead of inside the slot but I don't know if that would crush the slot. It looks pretty strong construction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude its not the same company...says right on their CS page...plus i called thsm and said they were a different company
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

X3 on this.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Any updates on how these run?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any updates on how these run?
View Quote

I didn't have the patience to wait.  I now have two of these headed my way VIA FedEx!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought one as well and just finished up my build. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out and test fire / zero it yet but here she is:

I might add that everything looks good and it seems very well made for the price. I'll update once I get a chance to go to the range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I bought one as well and just finished up my build. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out and test fire / zero it yet but here she is:

http://i.imgur.com/oekuzyN.jpg

I might add that everything looks good and it seems very well made for the price. I'll update once I get a chance to go to the range.
View Quote

Since you have one in hand, does it appear that the upper could/would accept another commercial rail or is it proprietary?

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:06:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Since you have one in hand, does it appear that the upper could/would accept another commercial rail or is it proprietary?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears that it could take another forend no problem. The company that manufactured the upper also sells the forend for DPMS pattern 308's as a standalone product. I would assume that as long as it's made for a DPMS-style 308 a different forend would work fine. Personally I like how it looks on the rifle so I won't be changing it out anytime soon, though depending on how it shoots I may swap the barrel for a match barrel.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:22:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice looking bang stick! Looking forward to your range report as well as your impressions of that rail system.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It appears that it could take another forend no problem. The company that manufactured the upper also sells the forend for DPMS pattern 308's as a standalone product. I would assume that as long as it's made for a DPMS-style 308 a different forend would work fine. Personally I like how it looks on the rifle so I won't be changing it out anytime soon, though depending on how it shoots I may swap the barrel for a match barrel.

Hope that helps!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope that helps!

Thank you!  Mine comes this week according to shipping/tracking.  That hand guard looks like you could use it to club a baby brontosaurus.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I completed my build of one a couple weeks ago but am about 2 weeks out from being able to shoot it.  I will post up some pics later today.

I like the handguard/rail a ton.  It is beefy as hell and if you run out of ammo or the gun fails to fire you can beat the hell out of anything with it.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I have close to 250 rounds thru my Alex Pro and had my first stove pipe! It could be ammo related since it was surplus ammo. I also noticed that the spent brass ejection pattern has shifted from nice 3 O'clock to 2 O'clock now. Runs well except the 1 time stove pipe. Could be lube related too since I haven't lube it since the very beginning! While having the stove pipe, I inspect and notice It also leaves a light extractor mark on the brass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you!  Mine comes this week according to shipping/tracking.  That hand guard looks like you could use it to club a baby brontosaurus.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that helps!

That's for sure, it's definitely not lightweight so if you're looking for a 308 to carry around a lot then you'll probably want to try and change it out to something a whole lot lighter. I plan on mine mostly being a benchrest / stationary gun so the weight doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I completed my build of one a couple weeks ago but am about 2 weeks out from being able to shoot it.  I will post up some pics later today.

I like the handguard/rail a ton.  It is beefy as hell and if you run out of ammo or the gun fails to fire you can beat the hell out of anything with it.  
View Quote

I must have got a dud, the one I have is really thin.  Just dropping the BCG from the bolt catch makes it ring like a tuning fork.  Very loud and annoying.  

Waiting on a scope, then I will see what it can do barrel wise.  Figured I can always swap the rail later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looks really good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I must have got a dud, the one I have is really thin.  Just dropping the BCG from the bolt catch makes it ring like a tuning fork.  Very loud and annoying.  

Waiting on a scope, then I will see what it can do barrel wise.  Figured I can always swap the rail later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?? Mine is pretty darn thick, I feel like I could drop it from a decent height and it wouldn't bend. No flex at all while gripping it and it definitely doesn't sound like a tuning fork!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Meh..  If you look at it from the front it is more like an extrusion then a machined tube or machined billet/casting.  Really thin aluminum.

If you watch this dude's video review at 1:42, he taps the rail and it rings like a bell.  Mine does the same thing.

Link to you tube in case it does not play above

Like I said, it will work until I swap rails.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]
My Pro-Fab build is coming along and should be ready to shoot this weekend.

So far it has:
SSA trigger
Brunton Eterna 6-24x40 with PA mount
Dpms grip
A2 stock

I have the rest of the internals coming from midway.

The direct thread phantom fits on there pretty nice too.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My Pro-Fab build is coming along and should be ready to shoot this weekend.

So far it has:
SSA trigger
Brunton Eterna 6-24x40 with PA mount
Dpms grip
A2 stock

I have the rest of the internals coming from midway.

The direct thread phantom fits on there pretty nice too.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/ABCF4281-7320-4F28-9EA6-6EF90281A468_zpsbftstbke.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking rifle! I'm hoping to get mine out to the range this week as well!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I have one on the way.  I haven't picked glass for it yet so it might take a while before I can leave any shot group reports.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got mine and am having some cycling issues, using pmags when I hand cycle it and fire it it will try to cycle the round then the bolt will skip over it causing a malfunction, when I push up on the Mag with my hand it cycles just fine
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just got mine and am having some cycling issues, using pmags when I hand cycle it and fire it it will try to cycle the round then the bolt will skip over it causing a malfunction, when I push up on the Mag with my hand it cycles just fine
View Quote

Sounds like an issue with the magazine or the lower / bolt catch?

Edit: Just went and filled up a 20 rd mag with surplus .308 and cycled about 10 rounds by hand and had no issues. Are you sure you have the correct PMAG? I know they make a few different ones for .308 to try and cover multiple rifles.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Yep just a standard gen3 lr/Sr. Mag

Also I used an older gen  Pmag without issue
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yep just a standard gen3 lr/Sr. Mag
View Quote

Unless you can see something physically wrong with the bolt, I can't see how it could be an issue with the upper. I suspect there's an issue with the magazine and/or the lower. Did you use the lower manufactured by Alexandria Pro Fab for your build? Or did you use a different DPMS pattern lower?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#39]
It's an 80% from blitzkrieg tactical but it's identical to the pro fab, upper and lower are tight too
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Must be the upper then
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Must be the upper then
View Quote

You read my mind!

Finally got out today to shoot mine, shot 40 rounds of German military surplus with zero issues. Not bad in the accuracy department once I got the scope dialed in though it definitely has some recoil. Looking for a brake at the moment and I think I'm going to go with the same JP brake that I put on my 6.5 Grendel. Overall I'm very happy with how it turned out, especially considering the price!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:00:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I have mine and am wondering while I wait for my lower to be delivered to my LGS if the "nut" of the Magpul MOE rail sections would slide into the internal slot of the rail to make the MOE rails work with it?  I don't have an MOE rail section on hand.  Anybody have a set to see if this works? Looks like they may be of similar diameter. I really just want a section to attach a bipod and the $6 MOE section is cheaper than the $45 proprietary stuff from Alexandria.

EDIT: Hell, even if they're slightly off I could just grind the sides of the internal tab a bit or find a nut at Menards that fit...(Friday night Drinking and thinking)...Bet they'd probably work...Still, if someone has them to try, please share the attempt.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I used an off brand moe style rail section on mine. The threaded oval "nut" is too wide to fit into the rails slot. My screws were long enough that I was able to put the nuts behind the slot between the barrel and hand guard. I took care when tightening it down as not to crush the slot in the rail. It is solid for now.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have mine and am wondering while I wait for my lower to be delivered to my LGS if the "nut" of the Magpul MOE rail sections would slide into the internal slot of the rail to make the MOE rails work with it?  I don't have an MOE rail section on hand.  Anybody have a set to see if this works? Looks like they may be of similar diameter. I really just want a section to attach a bipod and the $6 MOE section is cheaper than the $45 proprietary stuff from Alexandria.

EDIT: Hell, even if they're slightly off I could just grind the sides of the internal tab a bit or find a nut at Menards that fit...(Friday night Drinking and thinking)...Bet they'd probably work...Still, if someone has them to try, please share the attempt.
View Quote

$45?? I bought the rail section/screws/back plate straight from Alexandria for maybe $11 plus shipping and used it to attach my bipod.

You need this:

http://www.apfarmory.com/ar15-m16-ar10-apf-t-mod-short-picatinny-rail/

and this:

http://www.apfarmory.com/ar15-m16-ar10-apf-t-mod-short-accessory-mount-slide/

and 2 of this:

http://www.apfarmory.com/ar15-m16ar-10-apf-t-mod-10-32-shcs/

Got mine for ~$15 shipped and didn't have to try and rig something up for it to work.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Edit: Just went and filled up a 20 rd mag with surplus .308 and cycled about 10 rounds by hand and had no issues. Are you sure you have the correct PMAG? I know they make a few different ones for .308 to try and cover multiple rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine does the same thing with my 10rd pmag.  The bolt hits the next round, but when the shoulder hits the front of the mag, it kicks the base below the bolt.  My 25rd mags don't do it.  I filed just a little of the inside of the front of the mag, now it works just fine.  Even with the 20rds I mangled the hell out of hand cycling until I had it fixed.  Still no optics yet, haven't decided.  Might splurge on a Vortex PST.

Also, mine rings like a tuning fork.  The only handguard I know of that has 3 slits running the entire length of the rail.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the responses on the rail options, guys. I took mine out today for the first time. Only had about an hour of daylight at dusk to play with after Mothers Day. I believe we have a new champion for my favorite rifle. This one had me grinning ear to ear with every shot. Sighted in the optic at 25 meters in 6 shots then pushed it to 90. Time crunch had me running back and forth to get a few groups and I did not readjust my optic once I moved out since daylight was burning and this was a last minute function test. Only thing I learned was my $2 Goodwill table sucks with a 308 and zqi doesn't group for shit. Forgetting my contacts today didn't help. Either way, excuses are like assholes...seemed if I could get a consistent few rounds of zqi and a solid hold on the rifle in the lead sled then my 3 shot groups would be 2" as that result was repeated several times. 4and 5 shot groups I'd usually end up with one flyer. Could have been my bench, me (though I was feeling pretty good despite the blindness) , or the ammo. Also sighting in at 100 is bound to improve bullet placement. Not enough time to do it all today.  No failures except when my brass catch bag got heavy and weighed down to cause an issue with ejection. Took off the bag to ensure it was the issue and it would run without it reliably. All was fine. Small sample of 50. Ran both 10 and 20 round pmags.

Catapulted to favorite rifle. Maybe favorite firearm period. First 308 to boot. I said to myself,  "This is the gun you've been looking for..." Looking forward to better grade ammo and smaller groups off a more stable platform. Just want more trigger time with it and soon!

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Mine does the same thing with my 10rd pmag.  The bolt hits the next round, but when the shoulder hits the front of the mag, it kicks the base below the bolt.  My 25rd mags don't do it.  I filed just a little of the inside of the front of the mag, now it works just fine.  Even with the 20rds I mangled the hell out of hand cycling until I had it fixed.

Thanks for the tip, I will remember that if I pick up a 10 rounder.

Also, mine rings like a tuning fork.  The only handguard I know of that has 3 slits running the entire length of the rail.

Appreciate the confirmation on the noise, thought I was going crazy the first time I heard it.  Maybe that is the reason for the discount?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine does the same thing with my 10rd pmag.  The bolt hits the next round, but when the shoulder hits the front of the mag, it kicks the base below the bolt.  My 25rd mags don't do it.  I filed just a little of the inside of the front of the mag, now it works just fine.  Even with the 20rds I mangled the hell out of hand cycling until I had it fixed.

Thanks for the tip, I will remember that if I pick up a 10 rounder.

Appreciate the confirmation on the noise, thought I was going crazy the first time I heard it.  Maybe that is the reason for the discount?

I didn't have any trouble with my 10rounders.  Though, I only ran 2 full 10-rd mags, and one partial mag several times for the last 10 rounds.  Only ran through the full 20-rd once.  I was looking for issues on the last round in the 10-rd for my final mag cycling just 1-2 rounds only per mag because of the Caldwell brass catch causing a failure to eject, just wanted to verify it was the catch and not a feeding issue.  Small sample size of 50 isn't sufficient to say there is no issue but so far so good and I'm watching for it.  

As for the tuning fork, I think it makes it sound like an M1 Garand clip ejection.  Ping......  Under fire, I didn't even hear it as I'm too focused on my shot and it's just LOUD period.  Not Tier One to care enough to swap it out at this time because of a little ping...if I was Tier One I'd have bought a PredatOBR.  Closest I'll get to the Larue is this Alexandria with the MBT2S that's installed...  Plan to take it out this weekend for more testing.  Wife hates me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They use their own propriety method of attaching rails to the hand guard, basically you slide a metal plate in guides that are extruded into the rail, then run screws through the slot and into the plate through their pictinany rails. So it's not M-Lok or Keymod. You can buy the rail sections directly from http://www.apfarmory.com/

Edit: so i did some talking to with Alex Pro Firearms  (APF Armory) the story on the Alex Pro Firearms parts is this. They rejected some parts they had made for them. Sent them back to alex pro fab. They were supposed to destroy them per contract but instead one of the mangers decided to sell them to AIM surplus.  So all warranty claims have to go through alex pro fab, but if you need parts like rail sections etc APF Armory will gladly sell you parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something is very Fed up when it comes to APF Armory and Alexandria Pro Fab Company Inc.  First off they are next door neighbors and one is per county tax records owned by a TK Wilkins Properties LLC and the other is owned by Wilkins Properties LLC.  The Wilkin brothers started the Alexandria Pro Fab Shop before the APF Armory was created.  How in the hell though APF Armory can claim no affiliation is pure BS.

This is pulled from the web from someone who is local to these two neighboring sites.

<<<<

In the fall of 2013, I ran into Garrett Streitz, the manager of the newly formed Alex Pro Firearms (APF), a division of Alexandria Pro-Fab Co., Inc. He said the company was in the process of acquiring the appropriate licenses to manufacture and sell firearms.

Six months later, in the spring of 2014, I began the research on building my own AR. While perusing websites, I recalled the conversation I had had with Garrett and decided to stop by APF and check out the AR’s being manufactured in my home town.

Soon after walking into the shop and seeing an impressive display of ARs, accessories, ammunition, gun cases, clothing, and other related items, I was greeted warmly by Garrett. He showed me around while explaining the origins of APF. Garrett said Alex Pro Fab previously had been manufacturing gun parts for other manufacturers. Later on, co-owners Don Wilkins and his son, Tom Wilkins, decided to design and manufacture their own line of guns. Being innovative entrepreneurs, they engineered and developed an AR-15 and an AR-10 while navigating the regulation requirements.

After visiting with Garrett and sharing with him my desire to build an AR, all of my concerns and uncertainties vanished. I would soon be building my own .308 AR-10 (a .223 caliber is an AR-15) with high quality parts and help from a great teacher. Later that week, I mentioned to my brother Jeff what I had in the works. It did not take him long to decide to build his own AR with me. We set a date with Garrett and the countdown was on.

On the day of the build, my dad came along to watch and be a part of the event—which was not just building an AR; it was also an experience. We started out by selecting the options we wanted—such as trigger, stock, and color scheme. While we were deciding on the options, Tom arrived to be a part of the morning as well. My brother and I were the first customers to build our ARs at the newly launched company. Up until then, sales took place over the counter and online.

I was to build my AR first as my brother and dad watched. Seated on the chair in the assembly area, Garrett patiently provided instruction over my shoulder as he explained each step in detail. Tom helped with the instruction as well; it was a team effort. With all the parts and tools at the ready, I was amazed at the simplicity. A few steps were tricky; but, overall, it went together smoothly.

As I was leaning over the table concentrating on Garret’s instructions, I remember thinking how amazing it was to actually be building my own AR and even more amazing that I was building it in Alexandria—with high quality parts from a local manufacturer.

After the last turn of the wrench to tighten the flash hider, Garret inspected the rifle, then loaded five rounds into a clip and said, “Okay, let’s fire this baby.” We all donned ear protection as we walked behind the building to the firing range. At this time, there was no scope or even iron sights; nonetheless, I loaded a round into the chamber, flipped the safety switch off, and lifted the rifle to my shoulder. Using only the barrel as my site, I took a shot at the backstop. It felt great; there was very little recoil and the action was quite smooth. With a smile on my face, I fired the remaining four rounds, one right after the other. When I turned around, my brother already was taking his ear protection off and heading back inside, wanting to get started on his rifle.

I am glad I stopped in at APF to ask about building my own AR. Not only was I able to check off a “bucket list” project, but I had a great experience with guys from APF and created a great memory with my dad and brother. If building your own AR is of interest to you, I highly recommend Alex Pro Firearms. Not only is the staff fun to work with, you also can be assured the rifle is made from high quality parts manufactured in Minnesota.

APF is always innovating and developing new rifles or making enhancements to existing designs. During a visit to the shop, Tom Wilkins gave me a tour of Alexandria Pro-Fab Co., next door to APF, to show me the gun parts being manufactured. It was really amazing to see the parts that went into my gun being made—from a wire EDM working on the receiver, to machining centers working on bolt carriers, firing pins, and rails. During the tour, Tom kept emphasizing pm_endmarkred-e1320337243152how no corners are cut,  and only high quality parts are manufactured. This is why Polaris,  Minn Kota Motors, and other well-known companies have been longtime customers of the business.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#50]
For APF Armory to claim AIMSurplus is selling rejected parts may be borderline slander against them since everything points to these being the same damn company or a subsidiary of the main Fab Shop.

Anyway why I came back to the page, I am attempting to replace the dust cover off my build but was gonna do the lazy way like you can on an AR15 with removing the c-clip and pushing the pin out towards the rear of the gun.

You can't do this on these damn uppers and I don't want to remove the gas block/tube and nut to slip it out the front.

Anyone think using a dremel to just cut the existing dust cover pin in half may be a bad idea in this case?  I don't own a dremel but want to get one for tools to have around the house and figure taking it slow and easy this should be doable.  I already have a new pin to replace it and believe I have space to flex it back in from the front without removing the rail nut so it is just a matter of getting the old pin out of the way.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top