Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In the past 7-8 years about 90% of the actual fighting has been conducted by organizations where you typically dont hear anything in the news until somebody dies.  Like not just a couple big operations, dozens and dozens of teams running missions day in and day out per CENTCOM theater (of which we have three now)

My last deployment wasn't that long ago and we pretty much got it all. Firefights under 50 meters, minefields, IEDs, quasi-large scale combat operations with tanks and rocket artillery firing on us.  Experiences vary wildly, if you talk to somebody that sat in a guard tower the whole time you would get a different perspective.
View Quote

Daemon,
Long time no see. You still in? Gotta be getting close to retirement?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Daemon,
Long time no see. You still in? Gotta be getting close to retirement?
View Quote

3/4 of the way there is kinda close I guess.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I was a MiTT guy in 05/06 so missed the halicon days of the invasion.   We operated in Salladin Prov and it was pretty cool to roll around like the rat patrol with our IA

Last few years I've been working as a contractor in Afghan for Task Force.  Can't talk much to that but those boys sure fuck bad guys up most every night.  I run a ISR system in the JOC so front row seat to some pretty cool OPNs.

take good care
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Did anyone besides me have the pleasure of working with the Norwegians SOF cats at Bagram?   I loved those cats and the support females as well.  They were solid Vikings and went above and beyond every time they were tasked to support my ODA.  

And I may be biased, but Ole T never received the recognition he should have for carrying my wounded ass through a minefield to the casvac vehicle.

18Z50
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#5]
So I was never in the military but almost all my classmates who went in and family members who serviced went in during the first push that the stories I heard were insane.  One of my best friends from high school was in a group pushing towards Baghdad (could have been Thunder run) and an Iraqi stepped out and pointed a RPG right at there humvee, pulled the trigger and the RPG actually hit the side of the Humvee but was to close to arm.  The vehicle behind them red misted him pretty quick. He still has dreams about it....

He also said the big issue coming home from it was no experience ever (apart from maybe illicit drugs) will match the adrenal and dopamine dump of that war so it took years for things to start making him "feel" good again.

My uncle who was a vet from the first Gulf War was in a SF unit during the second go around.  He was sent in before the invasion with is his group to watch a bridge and make sure they Iraqis didn't plant explosive and blow it up.  When the push started the Iraqis would send guys to rig explosives on the bridge to blow it and they would eliminate them and then try to hide any evidence of the Iraqi demo teams ever arriving.  It got the point where they would disappear the guys checking on the guy who never came back.  He also has lots of stories....but doesn't really start to talk about them unless another Iraqi vet is around.  He has PTSD and will some times jump out of bed at night.

Seems like the tale end of Gen X and the first Millennials bore the brunt of the 2nd Iraqi conflict.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A little background:

Up until January 2001, the US military had been subjected to some of the stupidest, most detrimental, demoralizing treatment by the Clinton White House for 8 years.  The senior NCOs and officers had grown up during the Reagan Administration where the military had one primary focus:  Train for combat and deploy on a moment's notice to dish out coordinated, professional, industrial-scale violence on our enemies with swiftness.

When Clinton came into the WH, she instituted all kinds of social experiment garbage, SHARPs training, EO quotas, don't ask-don't tell, and there was a clear departure from the war-fighting spirit from the top-down.  To this schism, there was a lot of cultural resentment from dudes who had joined a professional military tasked with doing our Nation's business seriously.  When I was a private, all my Drill Sergeants had combat patches, and practically all the NCOs with 5 years of service or more in my first unit had been Panama or ODS vets as well, so we got to hear how things used to be concerning training, ammo allotments, field rotations, and deployments.

Once George W. Bush came into the WH, he inherited a mixed military culture of camouflage welfare recipient garrison Pogues, and war-fighters who were chewing at the bit to deploy and slay enemy combatants.  After 9-11, everyone knew it was game-time and he had already done a 180 in several areas, military pay being the first one.  Clinton had made sure we didn't get a pay raise for years, and when Bush came in, it hit our wallets significantly and was very welcome.  Morale picked up tremendously because you knew the Commander-in-Chief was making the military a priority.

As things moved forward into 2002, we saw one Battalion from down the street deploy to Afghanistan, but nothing for us.  More and more guys started murmuring again, saying, "We're never going anywhere.  We're gonna continue to do DRF cycle picking up pine cones on Sicily while everyone else gets a piece of the action.  This sucks!"

Then we got word we were deploying "somewhere" in early 2003, while pallets of DCUs, IBAs, Wiley Xs, desert boots, and MOLLE gear piled into the Brigade supply system, filtering down to the Companies with mass issue eventually ending up in Joe's arms as he hobbled away from each Company supply room down in the basement level.

Right before we deployed, they had all the NCOs from my Brigade (325th) meet in York Theater (Fort Bragg).

Imagine this perspective but everyone in BDUs (we couldn't wear the DCUs until the day we staged for loading the birds IIRC):

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Firs0.4sqi.net%2Fimg%2Fgeneral%2F600x600%2F59185088_fOrhbY9zmUHJ0Z2vR021UuiSzTMr2e6EgMQWdBz5oxw.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Some butter bar 2LT gets up in front of that screen and says,

"Alright gents, watch this short video presentation and then I'll be giving you your CENTCOM AOR ROE briefing."

I looked over to the dude to my left and said, "Wake me up when this stupidity is over." or something to that effect.

It gets quiet, and then Drowning Pool's Let the Bodies Hit the Floor slowly crescendoed into full volume, and the screen erupts with footage from Desert Storm, primarily focusing on the Highway of Death slaughter with escharred corpses hanging out of the APCs, trucks, and tanks, F-15Es, F-16s, A-10s, M-1 Abrams, and Bradleys blasting Iraqi units endlessly.

There was a unanimous roar among us all, as this was unexpected.

The little JSG Lieutenant gets up on the stage again, and starts off his very animated and motivated "ROE briefing".

One of the first things he said that slapped us all into full focus was...

"I don't care if your Company commander tells you to tape up your mags or not have a round in the chamber of your weapon.  That's an unlawful order and will be disobeyed!"

"You are to shoot first and ask questions later!"

"If you see a threat, do not wait to be fired upon."

The shouts of "Hooah!" were visceral.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but I liked it.

We all went back to our Joes and told them we're getting ready to kick some serious ass.

To be a SAW gunner, M240 gunner, FO, TACP, Scout Sniper, or Scout/Observer in the early days of OIF in 2003 was everything and more than a young hooah could have hoped for.

I had this cheap little 35mm film no-name camera.  Digital cameras were just barely becoming a thing back then and I didn't have one.

I just found a bunch of photos I forgot about I need to upload sometime.  Here's one I've had for a while.

https://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/14CrowellinOverwatch.jpg

View Quote

@LRRPF52

Hopefully you see this, pages later.

We chewed some of the same dirt, dude. I was in “the battalion down the street”, 3/505 PIR, that went over in 2002. We ended up going to Iraq in August ‘03. I had a bunch of buddies in 325th. Which BN were you in?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wound up attached to 1AD DISCOM after 3ID ripped out. After we got to Baghdad and set up the CMOC in the green zone...well what became the green zone....my team got sent down to LSA Dogwood where the CSH was at the time and just started running missions out of there....and then we discovered there were a metric shit ton of explosives that got abandoned at Al Qua Qua military complex..so we started trying to mitigate the theft of that for a while.
View Quote

Fucking Al Qua Qua. When I went back for tour #3(2007-2008) my platoon got stuck living in some half destroyed building in Al Qua Qua. Fuck that place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#8]
You know, I see a lot of guys talk about missing it. I guess my take is a little different, but then I ended up spending a fair amount of time between Iraq and Afghanistan. I re-up’d essentially to go back again after my 2nd tour(03’-04’). Tours #3 (07’-08’) and #4 (‘10) broke me of missing it. I miss the guys I served with. But I don’t miss the job anymore.

I’ve always felt that we owe it to those guys we lost to live our lives the best we can. They didn’t have that chance. Yeah life can be annoying sometimes. But when I think about all the things I’ve done with my life, I realize how much they missed out on.

I’m fortunate in that those “If I ever make it out of here...” dreams I had while I was there aren’t too far off from my life today. I bought my place out in the woods I always wanted. I have a great wife. I’m finally getting around to starting a family. Really, I’m pretty happy with my life. It’s so easy with everything going on lately to overlook all that. But when I remember those guys we lost, I take a second and count my blessings too. I guess I feel like I owe those guys that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did anyone besides me have the pleasure of working with the Norwegians SOF cats at Bagram?   I loved those cats and the support females as well.  They were solid Vikings and went above and beyond every time they were tasked to support my ODA.  

And I may be biased, but Ole T never received the recognition he should have for carrying my wounded ass through a minefield to the casvac vehicle.

18Z50
View Quote

We had NORSOF in Syria.  I didnt do any work with them, but they do have the best rations. I have literally no idea whats in them, but they are delicious.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You had to be there to believe it.

March 2003 to March 2004:

“Hey man, y’all want some AT4s? Here’s like 5 or 6.”

Driving around in unarmored humvees, doors off, rear security in a lawn chair in the back.

$100k in cash in my backpack.  Turn in some Arabic receipts and get another $100k.

Captured weapons everywhere, no pistol issued to me so I had a seized .38 revolver with no reloads stuck in my DCU pocket for emergencies. I.e. not getting my head sawn off by hadji.

Having a bonfire at night like Lord of the Flies, with some of Saddams johnnie walker blue label getting passed around.

Go feed the tigers at the zoo during lunch.  Stop for hummus and ice cream at the market.

Let’s go explore the tunnels under the palace. Rumor has it there’s an underground route to the airport.

Hawaiian shirt day. Or week

Big boy rules.  Do what you want, how you want, but you own the consequences.

Replaced my name tapes with CPT Ali Baba.

Got pulled over on Route Irish by a bird colonel for not wearing my seatbelt. He didn’t like my name tapes.

Thanksgiving 2003 spent with the locals, teaching them how to eat shrimp, then getting violently ill from food poisoning.

Handing out “puffy potato chips” (pork rinds)

Oh damn we shot the local mayor in the ass in front of a crowd of screaming locals.
View Quote

You got paid for that? Goddamn that sounds like a vacation I can't ever afford
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
We win the fuck out of the wars.  It's the occupation the we have problems with.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I was too young to get to go in the initial invasion but I made it to 3ID for the surge and OND. Just about all the NCOs in my battalion, 3-7IN, had deployed with them into the invasion so I had more stories about that than I ever thought I would hear. One of my favorite is the A Co looting the airport in Baghdad and stealing all of the watches and what not from a super high end jewelry store. To the victor goes the spoils. Then they went into one of Sadaam's palaces and looted it too...

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was a MiTT guy in 05/06 so missed the halicon days of the invasion.   We operated in Salladin Prov and it was pretty cool to roll around like the rat patrol with our IA

https://i.postimg.cc/J0jz68xz/IMG-1401-1.jpg

Last few years I've been working as a contractor in Afghan for Task Force.  Can't talk much to that but those boys sure fuck bad guys up most every night.  I run a ISR system in the JOC so front row seat to some pretty cool OPNs.

take good care
View Quote

I was ETT in Afghanistan 2009. I wasn't given much of a mission other than being attached to some Navy guys. Still no clue what they did other than powerpoint. I linked up with the Afghanistan medical sergeant I was supposed to train and his medics. I also linked up with some medical guys at FOB Ripley and their Role 2 clinic, and I also was able to get on some patrols with the Dutch and Australian guys. Seems like no one wanted to tempt fate and turn down extra medical support. I basically built from the ground up a way to get those Afghan medics trained. I was a busy son of a bitch. I traveled all over Uruzghan Province with those medics, Chora, Dah Rawood, all over. Since I was pretty much on my own, my ROE was shoot first and figure it out later. I did what I had to do.  

For four months I was going balls to the wall until the 82nd 508th guys came in and said they didn't need me anymore. I tried to get their medical NCOIC linked up with the Afghan Medical Sergeant and he said they weren't there to help them. Things deteriorated significantly during the last week I was there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh I was more pleased than anything.

I'm against nation building. I'm very for "don't make us come over there" diplomacy.  I had no idea we wrecked so much house in 03
View Quote

Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that.

Nation building isn’t about the kindness of our hearts on the strategic level and unfortunately a lot of people don’t understand that.

If the goal is to maintain influence in a region, winning takes consistent strategy application for a generation. You can maintain a presence by force, but so far all that’s done for countries that do that, is bleed them of resources and lives for minimal gain. Our problem has never been about being able to win militarily, even in counter insurgency and unconventional warfare. Our problem is that a every few years someone new takes over and reverses or abandons the effort, abandons or alienates our allies, and destroys any semblance of influence we had until then.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

18Z50
View Quote

Dude yes. Them and the Danish SOF were impressive as all hell. They knew how to turn it on when it was time.

Some of the equipment they had that we got our hands on from them, was pretty intense too. Like munitions that used heat in pretty brutal ways haha.

The Estonian SOF guys around Now Zad in 08 were wild too. That place was one of the only other free fire areas I can recall where the insurgency was so rooted that the city was abandoned. If you ever did any of the JSOTF rotations in Sadr City that was probably the loosest ROE in the areas that were primary focus points of the GWOT.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@LRRPF52

We are still waiting
View Quote

This.  Not sure how many times a dude has to get asked a simple question.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@LRRPF52

We are still waiting

Exactly. For a dude who LOVES to write long-ass diatribes about airplanes (when he apparently has no relevant experience working in the aviation field) or about fieldcraft (when he does seem to have a LOT of relevant experience), he sure seems to be reluctant to write an explanation of his combat experience (or lack thereof).

Here, LRRPF52, let me show you how it's done:

I served as an 11B from SEP 89 to NOV 91, stationed in Germany. I didn't deploy to Desert Storm because I was a problem child, so I stayed in Germany and pulled a shit ton of guard duty.

I reenlisted as a 13F in 1996. In 2000, I deployed to Kosovo with A-1/187 INF. In January 2002, I deployed to Afghanistan with 3rd Brigade, 101st. I was supposed to be the Information Ops NCOIC, but the Bde Cdr decided he didn't need an IO cell, so I worked in the BDE TOC on KAF until I redeployed stateside after just 51 days, once Operation Anaconda was over and I was no longer needed. I was medically discharged from the Army in October 2002 due to asthma which may or may not have been caused by chemo treatments I recieved for cancer while on active duty.

If someone deployed to Kuwait in March 2003, but didn't finish their unit's entire 12-14 month tour because they were able to ETS and move onto another career, there's no shame. Nor is there shame if they didn't get to cross the line of departure in April due to an injury or illness which caused them to be sent stateside and eventually medically discharged. There should be shame, however, if someone spends years allowing others to believe they've been awarded a combat patch or CIB when they haven't and they flat out refuse to answer a simple question.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because we all know what the truth is.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Not in the goddamned 101st.  We had weekly ammo count, you were signed for every round.  Yeah, unload every mag, empty every nutsack, record how many fucking rounds you have.  That was fucking retarded.  

We also had LBV SOPs and when we ditched LBVs, we had IBA SOPs.  That is an SOP for where every pouch goes on your IBA.  Also we had to carry bayonets.  But some joe got his stolen by a kid in a crowd so then we had to tie/tape them to death so it was impossible to get them out of the scabbard.  But still had to carry them lol.

ETA: Fallujah was totally different.  My company was detached from division and no fucks were given at all.

2005-2006 was 180 degrees different.  Carry your shit how you want, all the ammo, frags and c4 you want for whatever.  Good times except we were losing guys daily.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's some validity to standardization of fighting load and ruck load. Mostly for trauma reasons. I don't want to have to roll you around looking for your IFAK while you're bleeding out.
View Quote

True, but there is a world of differenc between an SOP where the IFAK/TQ should go and we all need to look the same regardless of postion/duty.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

18Z50
View Quote
I worked with them in OIR. Great group to have around
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We had NORSOF in Syria.  I didnt do any work with them, but they do have the best rations. I have literally no idea whats in them, but they are delicious.
View Quote
Bro the dark chocolate candy bars were a staple for me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not in the goddamned 101st.  We had weekly ammo count, you were signed for every round.  Yeah, unload every mag, empty every nutsack, record how many fucking rounds you have.  That was fucking retarded.  

We also had LBV SOPs and when we ditched LBVs, we had IBA SOPs.  That is an SOP for where every pouch goes on your IBA.  Also we had to carry bayonets.  But some joe got his stolen by a kid in a crowd so then we had to tie/tape them to death so it was impossible to get them out of the scabbard.  But still had to carry them lol.

ETA: Fallujah was totally different.  My company was detached from division and no fucks were given at all.

2005-2006 was 180 degrees different.  Carry your shit how you want, all the ammo, frags and c4 you want for whatever.  Good times except we were losing guys daily.
View Quote
2/502?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The stories of how many TOWs they fired into the building that Sadams son was in made my day
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#28]
There was point in time when any MAM with a phone, or anything remotely looking like a phone real or imagined got his free trip to the promised land.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait wait...

Regular guys could just be like "excuse me, please give me some C4" or did you work in ordnance disposal?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My son is an Iraq War veteran.  A Cav Scout.

He will not talk about what he experienced to his friends or family.

He has discussed it with me occasionally when we have been alone.  I am the only one he has told about the stress he was under.

I think he is suffering from PTSD but he won't admit it.

He is doing fine but I know he is carrying a burden with him.

He was suppose to go out on a night mission but he had got really sick from going to a meet and greet with the locals and ate some of their food.  His Platoon Sgt told him not to go out because he was throwing up and could hardly walk.  That night the vehicle he was suppose to be in hit an IED and everybody was killed.  The guys that were killed were his best friends that he had been with ever since Cav Scout OSUT.  He has tremendous survivor remorse.  That bothers him more than the combat he was in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wait wait...

Regular guys could just be like "excuse me, please give me some C4" or did you work in ordnance disposal?
View Quote

You are supposed to be trained and somewhat certified in demo but just drawing it is not MOS specific.  Engineers usually carry it, sometimes Infantry, but really when out and about the only thing that matters is if your immediate boss cares or not.  Ive been given demo charges that were taken away from guys by their supervisors because they were idiots and didnt need to be carrying it.  Usually the quality of the setup reflected that analysis pretty well.

Most of the company and platoon level combat ammunition supply points I saw for the majority of the GWOT were little fenced or walled off areas where you just took anything you wanted without anybody saying anything, or at most a sign out log book.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You are supposed to be trained and somewhat certified in demo but just drawing it is not MOS specific.  Engineers usually carry it, sometimes Infantry, but really when out and about the only thing that matters is if your immediate boss cares or not.  Ive been given demo charges that were taken away from guys by their supervisors because they were idiots and didnt need to be carrying it.  Usually the quality of the setup reflected that analysis pretty well.

Most of the company and platoon level combat ammunition supply points I saw for the majority of the GWOT were little fenced or walled off areas where you just took anything you wanted without anybody saying anything, or at most a sign out log book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait wait...

I had no idea.

Would an infantry guy have occasion to use C4 often? Frag grenades I totally get. Javelins I totally get.  I'm curious about C4 though. Maybe making an entrance in a wall or something?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I had no idea.

Would an infantry guy have occasion to use C4 often? Frag grenades I totally get. Javelins I totally get.  I'm curious about C4 though. Maybe making an entrance in a wall or something?
View Quote

Using demo is probably the best way to make entry into a building.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The delta dude with the taped down 1911 grip safety and a holster that exposes the trigger always makes me wonder.
View Quote

Thumb safety
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I had no idea.

View Quote

Breachers are typically Engineers, EOD, Infantry, or some SRT MP's.

A lot of SOP's require C4 to be carried to destroy classified equipment if its about to be taken.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A lot of SOP's require C4 to be carried to destroy classified equipment if its about to be taken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had no idea.

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow. In my leg Infantry BN in 3ID no one gave two shits about ammo even in 2010-2011 in Iraq.

I was with CJSOTF-A in Afghanistan and I was the guy in charge of the Class V retrograde to meet SOFA in 2014. Hand receipts... lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The delta dude with the taped down 1911 grip safety and a holster that exposes the trigger always makes me wonder.
View Quote

Rubber band/inner tube section.

Sometimes you just wanna be ready to party.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There was point in time when any MAM with a phone, or anything remotely looking like a phone real or imagined got his free trip to the promised land.
View Quote

One of my DS's told us that too. He said he didn't like seeing cell phones for years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#42]
If I were in charge of everything I'm not sure I'd issue 1911s.

HOWEVER, I do think it's fucking awesome Delta is rocking 1911s. (If that makes any sense)
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

HOWEVER, I do think it's fucking awesome Delta is rocking 1911s. (If that makes any sense)
View Quote

I would hope not.

That was 2003, so...
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

18Z50
View Quote

This is how my father talks about the ROK in Vietnam.  I believe he uses vicious warriors instead of Vikings.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would hope not.

That was 2003, so...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would hope not.

That was 2003, so...

Still pretty America.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This is how my father talks about the ROK in Vietnam.  I believe he uses vicious warriors instead of Vikings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

18Z50

I've heard the same about the ROK guys in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Still pretty America.
View Quote

At the time it was considered a better option by many.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I was too young to get to go in the initial invasion but I made it to 3ID for the surge and OND. Just about all the NCOs in my battalion, 3-7IN, had deployed with them into the invasion so I had more stories about that than I ever thought I would hear. One of my favorite is the A Co looting the airport in Baghdad and stealing all of the watches and what not from a super high end jewelry store. To the victor goes the spoils. Then they went into one of Sadaam's palaces and looted it too...

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000WlHodXXQEmY/fit=1000x750/iraq2003-a-invasion015.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3161/3071216513_78770349b6_b.jpg
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/538112c0e4b0870ae9a4d9b0/53bd8a8ae4b0c9db7aa86fb8/53bd8acde4b0ef294e51a6c3/1407195355681/IRQ_06.jpg?format=1000w
https://i.redd.it/tfwyzd7624s11.jpg
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/army-3rd-division-37-infantry-soldiers-kick-in-a-door-and-search-a-picture-id1880288?s=594x594
http://www.dailyherald.com/storyimage/DA/20130320/news/703209753/EP/1/2/EP-703209753.jpg&updated=201303201445&MaxW=800&maxH=800&updated=201303201445&noborder
View Quote

@mgwantob

Did you follow applications_of_violence on Instagram? Those dudes used to post a ton of classic 'The Push' material like that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still pretty America.

Those guys could wreck house with 38spc.

I love that they had 1911s. I think it's awesome. I hope the 1911 finds niche work for another 100 years. It's a pistol. Change and update the AR, buy new service pistols, absolutely. I would love to see those guns on our guys years from now. Not as standard issue for everyone, but just being around. Kinda like we still use Garands for drills. I think it's an awesome American symbol, and I figure pistols don't play a huge role in military doctrine anyways.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@mgwantob

Did you follow applications_of_violence on Instagram? Those dudes used to post a ton of classic 'The Push' material like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000WlHodXXQEmY/fit=1000x750/iraq2003-a-invasion015.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3161/3071216513_78770349b6_b.jpg
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/538112c0e4b0870ae9a4d9b0/53bd8a8ae4b0c9db7aa86fb8/53bd8acde4b0ef294e51a6c3/1407195355681/IRQ_06.jpg?format=1000w
https://i.redd.it/tfwyzd7624s11.jpg
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/army-3rd-division-37-infantry-soldiers-kick-in-a-door-and-search-a-picture-id1880288?s=594x594
http://www.dailyherald.com/storyimage/DA/20130320/news/703209753/EP/1/2/EP-703209753.jpg&updated=201303201445&MaxW=800&maxH=800&updated=201303201445&noborder

@mgwantob

No I’m not on Instagram. Sounds cool though
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top