User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Entirely possible that the tank was immobilized and the allies didn't have time to recover it before unassing the area. In that case, engineers could have packed in a bunch of explosives and destroyed it rather than let the enemy get it. (Germans were known to put captured tanks into service)

Most of the catastrophic damage pics of Abrams tanks you'll find on the internet were from us destroying them in place after they became disabled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, wonder what actually hit it.  

I seriously doubt anybody survived if they were still in there.  

The photo is from a British book about the battle for Kasserine Pass.

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bytor94/media/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg</a>  

Seriously doubt?.  Surviving that isn't a consideration.  

Entirely possible that the tank was immobilized and the allies didn't have time to recover it before unassing the area. In that case, engineers could have packed in a bunch of explosives and destroyed it rather than let the enemy get it. (Germans were known to put captured tanks into service)

Most of the catastrophic damage pics of Abrams tanks you'll find on the internet were from us destroying them in place after they became disabled.

Yep, my bet would be that we blew it up intentionally.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The one thing that caught my eye on that first picture is "where is the main gun barrel?"    Is the main gun that easily dislodged from the turret?  Or was it removed before the tank was destroyed by other means?  Of course I would assume the .50 would have been removed as well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
M4 with Type 94 strapped to read deck as war trophy
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
being a tanker back then no thnx..
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
M4 with Type 94 strapped to read deck as war trophy
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7373/9fpr.jpg
View Quote

That's just awesome.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Knocked out Lend Leased Soviet M4 Sherman.

A 75mm gun
being salvaged from a knocked-out Sherman tank at 26th Armoured Brigade
workshops in Perugia, 30 June 1944. The entry point for an 88mm shell
can be seen on the side of the tank.

M-26 Tractor with M-15 Trailer retrieving an M-4 Sherman tank during WW II.

Here is a French operated Sherman that could have used some additional armor. Destroyed near Urschenheim in January, 1945.

Sherman tank destroyed by a German Tiger tank in Florence area, Italy.

Knocked out Lee/Grant tank.

Knocked Out in the Ardennes Not Penetrated. German Tiger II.

German soldiers inspecting damage on the armor plating of their Tiger I heavy tank, Kursk, Russia, summer 1943.

Panther vs HE shell.

A "Tiger tank" (actually a PzKw IV) knocked out by 12th Armored tankers outside Herrlisheim.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A 75mm gun being salvaged from a knocked-out Sherman tank at 26th Armoured Brigade workshops in Perugia, 30 June 1944. The entry point for an 88mm shell can be seen on the side of the tank.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/The_British_Army_in_Italy_1944_NA16518.jpg

View Quote

This one shows how much good the added applique armor plating did.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The book to read is Tank Men by Robert Kershaw.  It has a lot of first-hand accounts of tankers from WW I and II on all sides.  Those two in the film were lucky; many tankers died a slow and fiery death.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top