Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks to me like the  .50 on the turret is pinned between the turret, the track and the ground.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
wow
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Jagdpanzer IV, the Stug's replacment. The eight lower road wheels are the giveaway.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/german/jll70/Image415.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jagdpanzer IV, the Stug's replacment. The eight lower road wheels are the giveaway.

No, the other image is a Stug IV.  Look at the remains of the superstructure.  The Jagdpanzer IV's armor was more sloped.  Best books I've found on German armor is the Walter Spielberger series on German Armor.  I have them all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Okinawa 1945 - There is a longer version of this - the TC  (guy in green t shirt w/pistol) was blown out turret when Sherman hit a mine. Tank flipped and caught on fire. The other four crew members burned. The section not shown here is them pulling the dead crew out in pieces.

The Death of a Tank
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw this in another thread...it is unusual how the tread is laid out in front of the tank and the turret is resting on it.

Possibility is the tank hit a small mine on the left side. The tread snapped, and the links spit the tread out in front of the tank.  They tried to repair it, but couldn't, so put a large demo charge in the turret that set it all off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, the M-2 looks salvageable.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe a direct hit with a 500kg bomb from a Stuka divebomber.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Sherman hit with an 88. Went in through the front and all the way out the back.

Tiger destroyed.

Tiger tank knocked out by 16' naval shell.

Unusual shot of a Russian AT round lodged into the gun mantel of a German tank.

Knocked out Tiger tank in Sicily.

Naval guns vs german armor.

He shows
lieutenant Lihniakevich, who's destroyed two German tanks himself in the
last battle, a hole from his shell in the "Tiger"'s turret.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
How did those tanks get hit by naval guns?  Lucky rounds?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

probably had a forward observer call in corrections. just a guess though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damn, wonder what actually hit it.  

I seriously doubt anybody survived if they were still in there.  

The photo is from a British book about the battle for Kasserine Pass.

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bytor94/media/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg</a>  
View Quote

Bad welding

Sorry ...
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Got derped by a KV-2.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember reading a story about that battle that the Germans were using their long-range artillery like civil-war canon, meaning they were shooting at things with a level barrel.  I forget which artillery and which story, though.  Might explain what hit the Sherman, though.
View Quote

I know they used their anti-aircraft 88 guns on allied tanks.

..."An American military observer who had many opportunities to witness this gun in Germany in 1940, speaks of this weapon as follows:

"The 88 MM is basically a gun for firing on moving targets. The crew is also specially trained for firing on highly rapid moving targets, primarily on airplanes. The whole control apparatus is designed for fast moving targets with a very rapid rate of fire: 25 rounds per minute. The gun is capable of great volume fire and extreme accuracy against moving targets of any type. It is equally efficient on targets on the ground as well as in the air. For attacks on armored vehicles, it is provided with a special armor-piercing shell."..."

Link

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Or.............someone inside fired a Glock.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#15]

A tank hit by an 88-shell. The driver had poked his head out, his remains, completely shrunken and charred.

Tiger hit with a 105mm HE-T round.

2nd hit the right side of the turret and blew off the coupla.

HE hit on the side of the turret on this Cromwell.

Destroyed
Panzer IV during Dec 1944 German Ardennes Offensive in Belgium and
Luxembourg. Tank ripped apart by secondary catastrophic internal
ammunition.

King Tiger vs 122mm AP shells.

Soviet officers standing on King Tiger.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except the blowed up one has nine interwoven road wheels, and the wheels are much larger than on the one you show. Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Older guy my Dad drove trucks with had hauled destroyed tanks from all over Europe to be melted down after the war.

German tanks, British tanks, American tanks, French tanks.  They were scattered all over the place.

He said he looked into a few.  The worst part was the hair.  The bodies had been removed, the blood had washed away...but the hair was still there.

Pretty gruesome.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't look like the Sherman went through a cook off fire. The rubber block on the tracks are still intact and not melted. If it's Kasserine then t must be an early M4A3 with the trailing idler and direct vision slots. What you guys think might be  shell hole in the radio hatch looks to me like the direct vision slot wide open.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Doesn't look like the Sherman went through a cook off fire. The rubber block on the tracks are still intact and not melted. If it's Kasserine then t must be an early M4A3 with the trailing idler and direct vision slots. What you guys think might be  shell hole in the radio hatch looks to me like the direct vision slot wide open.
View Quote

Wouldn't a mine have broken the track?

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#20]
You can't see the right side damage but the right track looks broken. It's under the turret but the rubber blocks are still not melted.

This Sherman burned. You can see the metal skeleton remaining after the rubber block burned

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Pop goes the Wiesel...
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That takes one hell of a boom to open that thing up like a can like that.  It peeled the armor plates at the weld just like they were a zip lock bag!  The gear box and transmission is pulled away and separated from the hull.  If there was a crew in there when it went up there isn't much left of them.  

View Quote

No, the transmission is firmly in place - it's the lower part of the glacis with the drive wheels on the front. It's firmly in place.

The big thing on the ground in front of the tank is the turret.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My first wife's Dad was the only survivor of his tank crew in North Africa.He spent 27 months as a POW in Germany.
I THINK his tank was an M3 ......but I don't remember for sure.He rarely said anything about it.
He was one of the toughest guys I've ever known.
View Quote

Had a great uncle who was a tanker in N Africa, 3 purple hearts twice the only survivor of his crew.  Had a nervous blink/tick and never had children because of it.

Opened up to me one time while I was on leave, would talk a minute and trail off into a stare for a few seconds then move on to another memory.  

It was very rough for them early in the war he said he had a total of 8 wks training and strait to N Africa.  The cost to ill prepared troops was high, and they were sent to buy time with blood.

I pray it never happens to American young men again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
No penetration on the hull welds either.  They just un-zipped.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All above destroyed by hyperkinetic rail gun rounds.  Like so many "modern" weapons and other technology, these were developed and proven out in WWII but kept secret.  Only later were they re-invented by non-Govt entities who made them public.  Night vision equipment is another example.
View Quote

Well, you're partly right.  The germans did have some night vision devices in use during WW II.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/german-infrared-night-vision-devices-infrarot-scheinwerfer.htm
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Had a great uncle who was a tanker in N Africa, 3 purple hearts twice the only survivor of his crew.  Had a nervous blink/tick and never had children because of it.

Opened up to me one time while I was on leave, would talk a minute and trail off into a stare for a few seconds then move on to another memory.  

It was very rough for them early in the war he said he had a total of 8 wks training and strait to N Africa.  The cost to ill prepared troops was high, and they were sent to buy time with blood.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first wife's Dad was the only survivor of his tank crew in North Africa.He spent 27 months as a POW in Germany.
I THINK his tank was an M3 ......but I don't remember for sure.He rarely said anything about it.
He was one of the toughest guys I've ever known.

Yikes!  There was something recently on the ? History Channel about this.  The way they described what they went through was brutal.  There is something to be said about experienced vs. inexperienced troops.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the mine
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Nearly cut the first guy in half. Second guy had his head turned into s shredded mess. Almost no head there.

WWII tank warfare wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:57:47 AM EDT
[#31]
That's one of a series of pictures of U.S. 1st Armored Division Shermans that were knocked out and abandoned during the  Feb 14, 1943 tank battle at Sidi Bouzid, Tunisia.  German combat engineers placed demo charges in them to prevent them from being recovered and repaired.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:36:11 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Those few seconds of film are a lot more instructive about war than that Saving Private Ryan movie that you guys seem to worship.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
there's a hole above the front MG mount, just below the radio operators hatch. Is that a entry hole from an 88?

edit: beat to it
View Quote

No, that's an early M4 with direct vision slots. That's not a hole, it's a vision slot.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Entirely possible that the tank was immobilized and the allies didn't have time to recover it before unassing the area. In that case, engineers could have packed in a bunch of explosives and destroyed it rather than let the enemy get it. (Germans were known to put captured tanks into service)

Most of the catastrophic damage pics of Abrams tanks you'll find on the internet were from us destroying them in place after they became disabled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, wonder what actually hit it.  

I seriously doubt anybody survived if they were still in there.  

The photo is from a British book about the battle for Kasserine Pass.

<a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bytor94/media/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/10456024_631019320321417_3442145137_zps8ccb8486.jpg</a>  

Seriously doubt?.  Surviving that isn't a consideration.  

Entirely possible that the tank was immobilized and the allies didn't have time to recover it before unassing the area. In that case, engineers could have packed in a bunch of explosives and destroyed it rather than let the enemy get it. (Germans were known to put captured tanks into service)

Most of the catastrophic damage pics of Abrams tanks you'll find on the internet were from us destroying them in place after they became disabled.

Wouldn't they have taken the .50 cal with them?

(I ASSume if they had time to plant explosives on the tank, they would have had time to dismount the machine gun)
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#35]
if it was in africa, shermans did not have wet ammo storage yet, regardless that an AT mine would not blow the tank anyway.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no 16 inchers at D-day on the US beach, but  BB-59 served in Africa in 42
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, the transmission is firmly in place - it's the lower part of the glacis with the drive wheels on the front. It's firmly in place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That takes one hell of a boom to open that thing up like a can like that.  It peeled the armor plates at the weld just like they were a zip lock bag!  The gear box and transmission is pulled away and separated from the hull.  If there was a crew in there when it went up there isn't much left of them.  

This. If the transmission were separated, the entire lower-front "corner" on the hull would be pulled off.

Frontal transmission, which while it did have the negative consequence of raising the vehicle's overall height, made maintenance relatively easy and put the additional metal of the tranny and final-drive in front of the crew in the hull.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 16" but there were 14" and 12" on the Texas and Arkansas respectively.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That's one of a series of pictures of U.S. 1st Armored Division Shermans that were knocked out and abandoned during the  Feb 14, 1943 tank battle at Sidi Bouzid, Tunisia.  German combat engineers placed demo charges in them to prevent them from being recovered and repaired.
View Quote
'Makes sense.  It looks like the tank hit a mine on the port side and the driver tried to back out (Rolling the

broken track off).

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

What vehicle is that?  E-100, Maus?
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Elephant maybe...? just my WAG.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

GW Tiger, huge self propelled gun that never made it past prototype tests.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geschützwagen_Tiger

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Those few seconds of film are a lot more instructive about war than that Saving Private Ryan movie that you guys seem to worship.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Especailly if you have ever done Body recovery on a freindly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A Teller mine? Weren't those the big huge anti tank mines?  Yeah, set off the ammunition storage, with probably some HE in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A mine probably.

That's most likely.  A rather large one at that.

A Teller mine? Weren't those the big huge anti tank mines?  Yeah, set off the ammunition storage, with probably some HE in there.

Possible, but there's absolutely no frag deformation that I can see on the armor....from neither the inside or outside.  Just looks blown out from the back/bottom.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Japanese tanks knocked out on Agat-Sumay Road by U.S. medium tanks.

A knocked-out German PzKpfw IV tank with the burnt bodies of two of its crew.

German tank, across the Senio River. The Tiger was attacked by Piat mortar fire from a member of the 24th Battalion.

German Panthers knocked out near le D&eacute;sert, 11 July. armored columns, claimed 19 tanks destroyed.

3 Squadron, 2nd
(Armoured) Irish Guards, killed when his Sherman tank was knocked out
during the advance towards Eindhoven, Operation 'Market-Garden'.

Marines examining destroyed tank, which was knocked out by a battery from the 10th Marines.

M-26 Tractor retrieving a knocked-out M-4 Sherman tank near Bastogne, Belgium, December 1944.

The T-34 '1941 version' lacked the vision cupola found on German tanks.

Knocked out Jagdpanther, East Prussia.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is that a welded corner joint along the sides or cold-rolled?

Is the thicker frontal plate riveted on?

thoughts?

just found one variant was cast and the remaining welded.  that photo is symmetrically split opened along the welded seam.
like someone mentioned, hopefully the crew was able to get out before or died instantly.  God Bless!
View Quote

That is a rolled/welded hull Sherman. The row of "rivets" are actually bolts. The Sherman was front drive, so to get to the final drive and steering gear for service the curved part of the lower front hull was a bolted on removable section of cast armor on all models of Sherman. There were two styles of nose, a one piece casting and a three piece casting, the three piece design being almost the same as the Grant/Lee nose. This looks like a one piece nose, which I thought was only introduced after North Africa. However the turret is the right shape for 1942 production and there is no welded on applique armor on the sponson over the ammo racks (which did nothing but act as a aiming marker)

And that does look like a shell hit that went into the right hull sponson, in 75mm gun Shermans there was a major ammo rack there holding about 3 dozen 75mm rounds horizontally with the shell noses pointing forward. 75mm gun Shermans carried either 99 or 101 rounds of 75mm depending on model, and to a certain extent on who is counting. That was an insane amount of ammunition packed into such a small hull.
That incoming AP shot in that location had a high chance of hitting a 75mm HE round right on the nose in that position.  I know the explosive that fills shells is supposed to be insensitive but...
Also, that was most likely a PzGr 39 pattern APCBCHE shot from a long 75 or a 88mm. They had a HE bursting charge like naval AP shells, and the German fuzes worked as intended more often than not, unlike our 3"/76mm APCBCHE shells that had a strong propensity for premature detonation before they had penetrated the armor. That hit is positioned almost perfectly for the PzGr 39 to detonate right in the middle of the ammo rack on that side.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

IT could be a picture from that series. But there is a shot hole in this particular Sherman to the right of the ball MG. I am not sure that this particular Sherman needed those charges. If it had been one that the Pionere demolished, I would think that they would take the .50 cal. with them, and not just guess that the turret would fall on it .
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I tell ya....as a former light infantryman....you gotta have B-B-B-BALLS OF STEEL to do armor or submarines, IMO.

B-B-B-BALLS OF STEEL, I say!!!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top