Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/10/2013 2:57:53 AM EDT
Link

She’s the Teflon probie.
Despite failing a required FDNY running test five times, Wendy Tapia was allowed to graduate from the Fire Academy and become a firefighter. On Dec. 2, she is taking the test for an unprecedented sixth time.
Tapia was one of only five women among 285 new firefighters who graduated from the FDNY’s Randall’s Island training academy on May 17.
The class was hailed as the most diverse group of rookies ever, all of them EMTs or paramedics seeking promotion to firefighter. She joined a group of just 35 women among the 11,000 Bravest.
View Quote

Reminded me of this thread from a couple weeks back.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1544673_Court_mandated_FDNY_Rookie_Class_is_not_Doing_so_Hot.html&light=FDNY

ETA: She quit. Link
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be a shit storm when one of those failures kills a real FF because they can't do their fucking job. Fuck them for not walking when they failed and fuck FDNY for pushing them thru.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be a shit storm when one of those failures kills a real FF because they can't do their fucking job. Fuck them for not walking when they failed and fuck FDNY for pushing them thru.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:13:44 AM EDT
[#3]
1.5 miles in twelve minutes hell you could walk half of that and still make it
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:14:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Diversity for the sake of......Diversity.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have to do time as a fire fighter before you can become an EMT in NYC? Or is there a way to become one directly off the street?

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do you have to do time as a fire fighter before you can become an EMT in NYC? Or is there a way to become one directly off the street?

Kharn
View Quote

Its just the opposite in NYC. The 'promotion' is from EMT/Paramedic to Firefighter....Also note that they are two separate Bureaus, EMS and Suppression. Once you go from EMS to Suppression, you cannot practice as an EMT or Paramedic anymore....

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:21:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

When is the last time either of you ran 1.5 miles? Really. I'm not making excuses for this bullshit, but I doubt you have in awhile.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When is the last time either of you ran 1.5 miles? Really. I'm not making excuses for this bullshit, but I doubt you have in awhile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

+1

You aren't walking an 8 minute mile.

Not a particularly hard standard, but not an easy one either.
Doesn't matter.
Mars needs women.

why does the FDNY have a universal PT standard and the DoD doesn't is my question.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Being female is irrelevant to me. The fact she knowingly accepted the promotion knowing she had not earned it and had failed the required test multiple times indicates  lack of pride and moral character. If she has no respect for herself how does she expect her peers and superiors to have any?

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:37:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
That picture of her in the link does not give me hope she has the strength to do her job. She looks pretty small. Not that small people can't be strong, but...........
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1

Doesn't matter.

Mars needs women.

why does the FDNY have a universal PT standard and the DoD doesn't is my question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

+1

Doesn't matter.

Mars needs women.

What good is a universal PT standard if its applied arbitrarily based on gender?

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:42:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

1.5 miles in 12 minutes sounds easy, but I'm betting the majority of Arfcommers would fail miserably attempting it. That's an 8-minute mile. Someone who's in good shape and is used to running could do it.
When I started running for weight loss, it took me a while to work up to an 8-minute mile. But I'm in my 50s. I would think a younger person could make that goal a little easier.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What good is a universal PT standard if its applied arbitrarily based on gender?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

+1

Doesn't matter.
Mars needs women.

My girlfriend runs me into the ground.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:42:41 AM EDT
[#17]
We live in a world of participation medals
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:43:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 50 year old wife that runs 2 miles almost every day and she kicks that out in 14. I run 24 minute 3 miles 4 days a week and I am far from skin and bones, I'm a stout fellow 5'10- 225. I always wonder about the firefighters and LEO's that I see are grossly overweight and cannot fathom that they can pass a physical.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:43:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

We live in a world of participation medals
View Quote
And the special class actually believes that they mean something.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:45:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 50 year old wife that runs 2 miles almost every day and she kicks that out in 14. I run 24 minute 3 miles 4 days a week and I am far from skin and bones, I'm a stout fellow 5'10- 225. I always wonder about the firefighters and LEO's that I see are grossly overweight and cannot fathom that they can pass a physical.
View Quote

Your lady is kickin' it! That's pretty fast.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:49:49 AM EDT
[#21]
While in boot camp we were doing a shipboard firefighting.
we were separated into 5 or 6 person teams. In order to pass boot camp

we were told we had to pass this. Well the  Female in front of me while

fighting the fire could not hold the hose while crouching. I braced her and

held her up. She started panicking and crying hysterically  and they stopped the exercise.

the CC's rushed to her and to my amazement told her she did not have to finish it and they

comforted her. If it had been a guy we would of been kicked out.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#22]
We had to run 1.5 miles in basic in 1999, men had to do it in 11:51 and women 13:26 or something. 6 out of the 8 women in my company failed pretty bad, a couple didn't even finish because they were crying. They took them out the next day, just them, and they all magically passed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's some good speeds!
I wonder how often firefighters and LEOs have to take a physical to keep their jobs? Or is it once you're in, you're in for life?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

We had to run 1.5 miles in basic in 1999, men had to do it in 11:51 and women 13:26 or something. 6 out of the 8 women in my company failed pretty bad, a couple didn't even finish because they were crying. They took them out the next day, just them, and they all magically passed.

View Quote

Had a female in my basic LE academy class that failed horribly on firearms. Very book smart, but no physical capability. We broke for lunch on qualification day and all went to eat, while she was retained for "remedial training." We come back from lunch, and wouldn't ya know it? She had passed. Rinse and repeat with the same chick for driving qualification, too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've wasted my breath talking about this one for years.

While the argument could be made that a "diverse" police force can better serve the public in a city that is racially and ethnically diverse, I don't believe the same rule applies to the fire department.

The role of the fire department in society is almost purely reactionary: A fire breaks out, the fire department responds and extinguishes it.

The bulk of our down time is focused on preparation (drill, hydrant inspection) and prevention (building inspection).

There really isn't a need to "foster ties" or "build a relationship" with the community. Firefighters almost always have a cordial relationship with the people that they serve. People tend to like firefighters.

Even when some among the local population don't like firefighters (and there are neighborhoods where this is true), no one is going to hesitate to dial 911 when a fire breaks out or someone is sick or injured.

Considering the physical nature of the job, and the narrow focus of the department's responsibilities, I believe the fire department that best serves its community is the one staffed by the most capable firefighters.

Throughout the course of my career though, no one ever seemed particularly interested in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:00:03 AM EDT
[#26]
The max for a female in the Army is 1746 or so for two miles.  

Id say she's in better shape than half the females in the .mil. Who arent good enough to pass this either.

The eight minute mile is female PT perfection.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#27]
When shit goes bad diversity is a non issue. Big, smart, tough, capable wins the fucking day.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:05:16 AM EDT
[#28]
We've gone from the high jump to the limbo.  Fucking bar is lower and lower.  This is what the left calls
progress.  They don't encourage success but reward failure.  Is there any wonder why this country is
spinning down the toilet?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#29]
It's ok. We had a guard fail his annual fletc qual 8 times before they fired his ass.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
She's a loser and SHE knows it - hope she doesn't get anyone killed.
View Quote

She'll be promoted to a position where her performance won't directly affect the safety of others.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Someone has her eyeballed for a supervisors job or higher. Shes not there to put out fires and I doubt she ever will put on the gear.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:11:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's some good speeds!
I wonder how often firefighters and LEOs have to take a physical to keep their jobs? Or is it once you're in, you're in for life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's some good speeds!

Depends on the department.  We do health screenings but not physical training tests.  Sometimes I wish we did.  

Also as an aside being able to run has almost nothing to do with being a good fire fighter.  Neither does being able to bench 300lbs.  You're better off doing something like cross fit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Who cares?

The people of NY she is supposed to be serving wont protest this. They wont light up the phones at the mayors office and protest at city hall over it?

The firefighters she will be serving next to wont refuse to leave the station house with her. In fact not a single fire fighter in New York affected by this shit will do anything about it.

So the two groups affected by this fat assed lazy bitch's hiring dont care enough to do anything about it........the fat bitch herself certainly doesnt have the self respect or humility to do anything about it herself.

So all parties affected are in agreement....she should be a fire fighter.

I dont give a shit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

While the argument could be made that a "diverse" police force can better serve the public in a city that is racially and ethnically diverse, I don't believe the same rule applies to the fire department.

The role of the fire department in society is almost purely reactionary: A fire breaks out, the fire department responds and extinguishes it.

The bulk of our down time is focused on preparation (drill, hydrant inspection) and prevention (building inspection).

There really isn't a need to "foster ties" or "build a relationship" with the community. Firefighters almost always have a cordial relationship with the people that they serve. People tend to like firefighters.

Even when some among the local population don't like firefighters (and there are neighborhoods where this is true), no one is going to hesitate to dial 911 when a fire breaks out or someone is sick or injured.

Considering the physical nature of the job, and the narrow focus of the department's responsibilities, I believe the fire department that best serves its community is the one staffed by the most capable firefighters.

Throughout the course of my career though, no one ever seemed particularly interested in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, Sir, are a poet at times.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Just once I would love to see someone in a union, FDNY I guess in this case, file a grievance against another member for some of this type of shit.  Would be interesting to see what would happen.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:17:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Sad state.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#37]
meh, de blasio will probably eliminate all these racist/sexist test anyhow.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Fat fucking firefighters and a Communist Mayor... Let it fucking burn.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:30:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I dated a nurse that wanted to sue, because she failed an EMT test....couldn't carry 70lbs over the shoulder up & down 1 flight of stairs.

I said....if you can't get my fat ass out of a building to save it...you don't belong in that job.

She thought for a moment and realized she weighed more than 70lbs and decided it was job better suited for stronger individuals.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it won't. They'll lie and cover up for the failure and incompetance of thier "diverse" firefighters. Not to do so would be politically incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it will not, it'll be swept under the rug again....
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Disagree, that is an incredibly easy standard. Much too easy, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Had a female in my basic LE academy class that failed horribly on firearms. Very book smart, but no physical capability. We broke for lunch on qualification day and all went to eat, while she was retained for "remedial training." We come back from lunch, and wouldn't ya know it? She had passed. Rinse and repeat with the same chick for driving qualification, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you going to do when they make her your partner?

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#44]
That is just pure fucking laziness on her part, anyone can have an 8 min / mile pace. And it won't take long to get there either. Speed is a much faster adaptation than strength.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:46:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would refuse to work with her. Did it plenty of times during my career with female and male cops.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:48:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like Milwaukee Public Schools

Diversity > Safety its the NY way
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:50:54 AM EDT
[#47]
hurray for diversity!!

"how stylish"...( Harry Callahan )
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I would refuse to work with her. Did it plenty of times during my career with female and male cops.
View Quote

And................................?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I had a fat (obese) female recruit in my company in the academy who fell out of every run. Every fucking run. Never made it over the wall once either. Turned out to be useless in field training and on patrol and was rewarded with an inside position for her efforts.

Guess what? The fat, useless bitch retired with me and got a similar pension.

God I hate NYC.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly....my PD is hell bent on hiring a black female.   The one in training right now can't shoot a qualifying score, but they will not let her go.  Just keep giving her extra one-on-one training, which doesn't seem to work either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top