Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've gone ahead and hedged all put options on DIA by selling March 115, 115.75, 117 puts.   The expire Friday, took in 4100 cash, and they should all expire worthless.  I also hedged XOM below 80 on half my short position, and I got .50 per share for insurance below 80 that's only good until Friday.  Took in another 1000 cash, all time value.  

In fact, I'm betting money that the market makers pin XOM at 80 for option expiration.

ETA: Went long BBY (100 contracts) with strike at 35 good till June.  Risk 8390, we should print 40 for BBY, so total reward is 50,000.  I figure its at least a 50/50, so we're getting good odds.

congrats (wish i could say the same lol) ... heck of a correction today
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sold SDS that I'd had for a few days this morning at it's peak! Now I'm all cash, and looking to see what happens tomorrow.

Omar, would you mind sharing what you are looking for in the next entry point for HIX, either a date or price point?

Thanks!

I've been waiting for this to pull back to around $9.50, but it didn't so I bought DNP instead.  I have 200 HIX DRIPed into the 10K portfolio, which I also added 100 AVL @ 5.99 in pre market this morning..  

Both HIX and DNP are high yield and money flows to them in uncertainty.

This is my watch list which contains a lot of high yield funds intermixed with stocks I like to trade.  When some are up, I sell them and buy others that are down that same day.  The monthly div ones usually hit their monthly low a few days after they pay the div.

AVL CHK DNP ETY FSC HGT HIO HIX IGD MCP MHY PCL POT PSEC PTNR PVX REMX RIT RWT SD TICC TIE VOD VRSN WY

This is my watch list, which I use to monitor sectors I'm interested in.  Everything but the short ETFs was red today, but some closed green:

^VIX AA AONE ATI AVL BA BNS BRK-B CAT CHK CSCO DDM DIA DOG DXD EP FAS FAZ FCX FFIV GE GLD INTC LOW MDR MO MON MOS POT PPL SDS SHAW SKF SLB SPY TIE TNH TPL TSLA TVIX URE UYG WAVX WM

I have other lists that are all tech, all oil services, etc, I like to monitor if a whole sector sells off and not just my stock in that sector, so when all the fertilizer stocks sold off, so did POT.  I bought more on the pullback.  That's hard for some people to do if they're already down, but that' when I buy.

Thank you!

That list will keep me busy reading for a while!
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've gone ahead and hedged all put options on DIA by selling March 115, 115.75, 117 puts.   The expire Friday, took in 4100 cash, and they should all expire worthless.  I also hedged XOM below 80 on half my short position, and I got .50 per share for insurance below 80 that's only good until Friday.  Took in another 1000 cash, all time value.  

In fact, I'm betting money that the market makers pin XOM at 80 for option expiration.

ETA: Went long BBY (100 contracts) with strike at 35 good till June.  Risk 8390, we should print 40 for BBY, so total reward is 50,000.  I figure its at least a 50/50, so we're getting good odds.

I'm going to sell more puts probably at the 117 strike.  I'll take in 1.20 a share, so that'll be a nice little cash infusion Monday morning.  That is unless the Jap reactor melts down, then we don't hedge...

Current positions:

AKAM - long (but only from 40 through 44)
BBY - long synthetically above 35 (15k shares) - might add another 5k shares worth of exposure this week if it can hold above 31. If it breaks below 30, then the trade obviously has gone horribly wrong, and I'll then try to get out even.
CSCO - long (from 18-21)
DIA - short (will hedge these Monday, as mentioned above)
XLE - short
XOM - short

On radar:

PCAR (we have a doji bottom right at long term support and at the 50 week moving average).  Should bounce from here.

QCOM: Short this thing.  Its gotten rocked, and the destruction of share price is only getting started.  Personally I'd say there is a 75% chance that this stock will touch 42 and a 50% chance of 34 within the next 3 months.  Then I plan to go long, fully leveraged, half position at 34 and the other half if we get 32.  

TEVA: very long term play here.  TEVA has historically bounced off of its 200 week moving average.  We have very high earnings growth, and the USA (and the world) is aging: meaning increased demand for drugs.  Also with Obamacare out there, there will be more demand for generics i.e. cheaper meds.  
I'm going to buy the longest term options available on TEVA, and given its current price (48.00), Jan '13 70 calls can be bought now for 1.18 (splitting bid/ask).  Initial position is 150 contracts, and will consider adding more.  According to my calculations, I'd expect a print of 77.5 by about June of 2012.  This should be a 10-bagger, if I'm right.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

TEVA: very long term play here.  TEVA has historically bounced off of its 200 week moving average.  We have very high earnings growth, and the USA (and the world) is aging: meaning increased demand for drugs.  Also with Obamacare out there, there will be more demand for generics i.e. cheaper meds.  
I'm going to buy the longest term options available on TEVA, and given its current price (48.00), Jan '13 70 calls can be bought now for 1.18 (splitting bid/ask).  Initial position is 150 contracts, and will consider adding more.  According to my calculations, I'd expect a print of 77.5 by about June of 2012.  This should be a 10-bagger, if I'm right.

I don't mess with options much, but I don't understand this? If you buy the $70 calls, and it goes to $77.50, aren't you going to miss the money on most of the move? Wouldn't it make sense to buy calls that are closer to being in the money?

Not criticising, just looking to learn!
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Not an unreasonable question.  First off, you must recognize that any type of "investing" is actually sophisticated gambling.  If you buy a stock, you're betting that the stock goes up more than the riskless rate that you could get on your money.  

The issue here is how much capital do we wager, and how sure are we of various scenarios.  We then choose the best fitting stock options to best take advantage of our predictions.  

Lets say that we have 10k to wager on TEVA.  

My choices are:

1) 17 Jan '13 50-strike calls.  break even at 56, 37k profit at 77.5 (target price)

2) 25 Jan '13 55-strike calls.  break even at 59, 45k profit at 77.5 (target price)

2) 37 Jan '13 60-strike calls.  break even at 63, 55k profit at 77.5 (target price)

2) 80 Jan '13 70-strike calls.  break even at 71, 55k profit at 77.5 (target price)

What this doesn't take into consideration is that I'm predicting this target price a whole lot sooner than Jan 15, 2013 (my prediction is closer to 14-15 months from now).  This means that in addition to a lot of intrinsic value in the calls, we'll also have a lot of time value remaining.  In fact these calls will probably be worth closer to 10.00 each, instead of 7.5 (77.5-70) just due to time value remaining. So in actuality, we'd be betting 10k to win 90k profit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#6]
O.K., that makes a lot more sense. I was looking at it from the perspective of buying a certain number of contracts, not a certain dollar value!

Bass ackwards as it were!
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
ETA: Never mind, I figured it out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not an unreasonable question.  First off, you must recognize that any type of "investing" is actually sophisticated gambling.  If you buy a stock, you're betting that the stock goes up more than the riskless rate that you could get on your money.  

The issue here is how much capital do we wager, and how sure are we of various scenarios.  We then choose the best fitting stock options to best take advantage of our predictions.  

Lets say that we have 10k to wager on TEVA.  

My choices are:

1) 17 Jan '13 50-strike calls.  break even at 56, 37k profit at 77.5 (target price)

2) 25 Jan '13 55-strike calls.  break even at 59, 45k profit at 77.5 (target price)

2) 37 Jan '13 60-strike calls.  break even at 63, 55k profit at 77.5 (target price)

2) 80 Jan '13 70-strike calls.  break even at 71, 55k profit at 77.5 (target price)

What this doesn't take into consideration is that I'm predicting this target price a whole lot sooner than Jan 15, 2013 (my prediction is closer to 14-15 months from now).  This means that in addition to a lot of intrinsic value in the calls, we'll also have a lot of time value remaining.  In fact these calls will probably be worth closer to 10.00 each, instead of 7.5 (77.5-70) just due to time value remaining. So in actuality, we'd be betting 10k to win 90k profit.

So is the idea to resell the options before they expire (booking a large gain while requiring relatively little capital), rather than exercise them once they're in the money (requiring a whole lotta capital)?
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to sell more puts probably at the 117 strike.  I'll take in 1.20 a share, so that'll be a nice little cash infusion Monday morning.  That is unless the Jap reactor melts down, then we don't hedge...

Current positions:

AKAM - long (but only from 40 through 44)

BBY - long synthetically above 35 (15k shares) - might add another 5k shares worth of exposure this week if it can hold above 31. If it breaks below 30, then the trade obviously has gone horribly wrong, and I'll then try to get out even.

CSCO - long (from 18-21)

DIA - short (will hedge these Monday, as mentioned above)

XLE - short

XOM - short

On radar:

PCAR (we have a doji bottom right at long term support and at the 50 week moving average).  Should bounce from here.

QCOM: Short this thing.  Its gotten rocked, and the destruction of share price is only getting started.  Personally I'd say there is a 75% chance that this stock will touch 42 and a 50% chance of 34 within the next 3 months.  Then I plan to go long, fully leveraged, half position at 34 and the other half if we get 32.  

I'm just getting started with options. I haven't made a trade yet. I have a couple of questions.

On QCOM, what's the best way to do this with options? and why do you think it will drop that much? I'm also interested in doing a long term short on REE. I think the stock is over valued and will probably be bankrupt in 2 years. What happens if the company goes bankrupt and I still hold options to sell shares at a higher price? I would want to buy long term puts right?

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought some more Citi:

Your Day buy order for 1000 C at a limit price of $4.91 was executed at $4.9075.

Currently own: AVL C FTR HIX IRET MFA PVX RWT SJT TIE WAVX $$$

My "Next buy/watch list" that I cycle in and out of:

AVL C CSCO EHI EPB FTR HGT IRET KBH MFA MO NHP NRG PCL PDS PVX REMX RWT SJT TIE VOD VRSN WY

I'm probably going to cut down my trades this year if market conditions change and we start a general uptrend and don't trade in a band like last year.

244 was too many in 2010.  I only was at 120 in mid-Oct, but traded heavy in Dec.  I'm pretty happy with what I currently have.

Jim

Are you concerned about the pending foreclosure court decisions - namely the inability of lenders being able to prove that they had rights to foreclose on all the bad mortgages that are out there - with Citibank?

No.

It's already baked in and it isn't nationwide, that's one regional area.

C is less exposed than many others.  

If does bring the sector lower, it lets me pick up more.  

I want to buy another 1000 in the 4.8-4.9 range.  

That gives me 2K to trade with and one to hold.

Earnings are next Tuesday, by the way.

Jim

Loaded the boat this morning with more shares of C and VLO (added to these positions).
I believe the perfect storm that occurred for crude oil in 2007 is going to repeat for 2011.
Looks like C is into $5 territory and is close to meeting the minimum valuation requirement for institutionals to start picking them up.
As of this morning I am all in.

How did that work out for you?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just getting started with options. I haven't made a trade yet. I have a couple of questions.

On QCOM, what's the best way to do this with options? and why do you think it will drop that much? I'm also interested in doing a long term short on REE. I think the stock is over valued and will probably be bankrupt in 2 years. What happens if the company goes bankrupt and I still hold options to sell shares at a higher price? I would want to buy long term puts right?

Well, I like the risk reward profile of the option position.  I bought the QCOM May11 50 Put / QCOM May11 40 Put spreads this morning for debit 1.21 each spread.  What this means is we bet 1.21 to win 10.  I could be wrong 9/10 times and break even.  And frankly I don't think I'm worse than 50% of QCOM closing May expiration lower than 50.  Who really knows where it will end up, but I'd probably close out half the trade for a net triple on principle, then let the rest ride.  

As far as why I think it'll drop? Well, my thinking is that people are mostly stupid.  People do not learn from mistakes.  We have bubble after bubble, etc.  QCOM tends to rise and fall within a trading range.  Look back 6 years.  People bid up the stock, and then get scared out and sell it down quickly.  Most of the corrections in QCOM happen within 3 months of the longer term peaks.  We had a peak at 41,49, 56, and 60.  Now we have a tiny reprive in the stock price (very common within a correction), where the last bulls get suckered in.  This is the ideal place to place your bearish bets, and pretty much take the bulls to the cleaners.  If I'm wrong, I'm not risking much at all.  And I'm giving myself the full 3 months for the correction to take place.

REE: highly shorted stock, be careful here.  The bigger holders could try to run the shorts.  When you look at long term option prices, its pretty obvious that there is not a lot of stock left to short.  The LEAP puts are higher priced then the calls.  In fact I could lock in a ~10% return over 21 months without any risk (if I could short the stock).  This is a simple arbitrage: short stock, short put, buy call. Risk-less profit.  What this tells you is that there isn't any to short.  

You could try a ratio diagonal put spread here.  Buy long term puts in the money, and sell a lesser number of shorter term puts out of the money.  That way you lose less as time passes.  Personally, I'd pass on a synthetic short here: expensive options on this one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I like the risk reward profile of the option position.  I bought the QCOM May11 50 Put / QCOM May11 40 Put spreads this morning for debit 1.21 each spread.  What this means is we bet 1.21 to win 10.  I could be wrong 9/10 times and break even.  And frankly I don't think I'm worse than 50% of QCOM closing May expiration lower than 50.  Who really knows where it will end up, but I'd probably close out half the trade for a net triple on principle, then let the rest ride.  

As far as why I think it'll drop? Well, my thinking is that people are mostly stupid.  People do not learn from mistakes.  We have bubble after bubble, etc.  QCOM tends to rise and fall within a trading range.  Look back 6 years.  People bid up the stock, and then get scared out and sell it down quickly.  Most of the corrections in QCOM happen within 3 months of the longer term peaks.  We had a peak at 41,49, 56, and 60.  Now we have a tiny reprive in the stock price (very common within a correction), where the last bulls get suckered in.  This is the ideal place to place your bearish bets, and pretty much take the bulls to the cleaners.  If I'm wrong, I'm not risking much at all.  And I'm giving myself the full 3 months for the correction to take place.

REE: highly shorted stock, be careful here.  The bigger holders could try to run the shorts.  When you look at long term option prices, its pretty obvious that there is not a lot of stock left to short.  The LEAP puts are higher priced then the calls.  In fact I could lock in a ~10% return over 21 months without any risk (if I could short the stock).  This is a simple arbitrage: short stock, short put, buy call. Risk-less profit.  What this tells you is that there isn't any to short.  

You could try a ratio diagonal put spread here.  Buy long term puts in the money, and sell a lesser number of shorter term puts out of the money.  That way you lose less as time passes.  Personally, I'd pass on a synthetic short here: expensive options on this one.
Very informative. I plan to do some more reading on options before making any trades. Do you have any recommendations?

If QCOM drops below 40 and the puts you sold are exercised, will they automatically sell the QCOM puts you bought at the higher strike price?

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
If they put the stock to me at 40, then I'll execute my puts and put the stock to the next guy at 50.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Sold MCP today for a 20.8% profit  in six days.
Link Posted: 3/23/2011 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sold MCP today for a 20.8% profit  in six days.

It was in my target range, but I procrastinated.

Well done!

Link Posted: 3/23/2011 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#16]
MU Beat earnings expectations. Cautiously optimistic. I'm probably going to set a more conservative exit point if we get a run again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Trailing stop was triggered, sold 570 MU @ 11.52. Now that I've sold it's pretty much guaranteed to double .

How about that AVL? Had a hell of a day today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#18]
it did.. i waited too long back in the 6's and didn't pull the trigger on avl...
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I pulled the trigger on SATC, a solar inverter company, today and ran with 13% gains in under 30 days.  Dumped it midday at $3.91... midday high was $3.92.  I have NO idea how I get that close sometimes.
Anyway, I didn't expect the DJIA to bounce back to the mid 12000s, so I'm ditching while the ditchins' good.

Might jump on board after a 10% drop and ride it out.  I'd expect it reach $4.50 or more within 6 months, which is still below where it was hovering for a while before solars took a dive in February.

Yes, I am fully aware that my tactic is an excellent way to lose your shirt.

- BG
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought some more Citi:

Your Day buy order for 1000 C at a limit price of $4.91 was executed at $4.9075.

Currently own: AVL C FTR HIX IRET MFA PVX RWT SJT TIE WAVX $$$

My "Next buy/watch list" that I cycle in and out of:

AVL C CSCO EHI EPB FTR HGT IRET KBH MFA MO NHP NRG PCL PDS PVX REMX RWT SJT TIE VOD VRSN WY

I'm probably going to cut down my trades this year if market conditions change and we start a general uptrend and don't trade in a band like last year.

244 was too many in 2010.  I only was at 120 in mid-Oct, but traded heavy in Dec.  I'm pretty happy with what I currently have.

Jim

Are you concerned about the pending foreclosure court decisions - namely the inability of lenders being able to prove that they had rights to foreclose on all the bad mortgages that are out there - with Citibank?

No.

It's already baked in and it isn't nationwide, that's one regional area.

C is less exposed than many others.  

If does bring the sector lower, it lets me pick up more.  

I want to buy another 1000 in the 4.8-4.9 range.  

That gives me 2K to trade with and one to hold.

Earnings are next Tuesday, by the way.

Jim

Loaded the boat this morning with more shares of C and VLO (added to these positions).
I believe the perfect storm that occurred for crude oil in 2007 is going to repeat for 2011.
Looks like C is into $5 territory and is close to meeting the minimum valuation requirement for institutionals to start picking them up.
As of this morning I am all in.

How did that work out for you?

Stopped-out on both C and FNSR...put that money into SLV while I figure where to go from there.

Haven't been excited about anything for a while and haven't been very active.

Still holding BCPC, SJT, VLO, and SLV...that's about it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#21]
AVL is running up on very high volume.  

I wouldn't buy any here, but something positive is going on, possibly a buy out.

I'm definitely buying more on a pullback.

I also picked up 2000 shares of TICC today.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#22]
SWHC
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#23]
bought MJNA two weeks ago at .04 a share, sold last Thursday for .205 per share.... I had 200K shares.

Looks like I'm getting a new truck!
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/13/2011 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I definitely don't work the market like you guys-but I've been looking at Citibank for awhile, at 4.50 today, and I'm thinking about buying 2000 shares to hold on for awhile-3-4 years or so.  I've read what I can find, here and on the net, seems like a good long term investment–– do you all think it is going lower by a significant margin, or is now the time to get in and ride for awhile?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I haven't posted here in a while. Just sitting here getting fat on oil and watching this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-more-storage-in-cushing-wti-will-be-90-in-a-month-2011-3

FWIW, I subscribe to a service to recommend plays in the market. That service has suggested that the Citi reverse split, is likely to be a bearish play, and are recommending shorting Citi at this point. Only time will tell if they are right, but I'd advise caution!
Link Posted: 4/14/2011 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I haven't posted here in a while. Just sitting here getting fat on oil and watching this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/no-more-storage-in-cushing-wti-will-be-90-in-a-month-2011-3

Waldo,

What do you think that means for energy stocks?  it doesn't sound good...  I'm pretty heavy into oil, coal, and electricity at the moment...

Thanks,

-Slice

Link Posted: 4/15/2011 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, I subscribe to a service to recommend plays in the market. That service has suggested that the Citi reverse split, is likely to be a bearish play, and are recommending shorting Citi at this point. Only time will tell if they are right, but I'd advise caution!

Its been going down since its been announced... hopefully they'll rethink the decision b/c of that but I hadn't paid attention to the news on it since.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought Polaris Industries (PII) before the big gain (20%) today. Should have bought more sooner. It will be my biggest holding very soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I definitely don't work the market like you guys-but I've been looking at Citibank for awhile, at 4.50 today, and I'm thinking about buying 2000 shares to hold on for awhile-3-4 years or so.  I've read what I can find, here and on the net, seems like a good long term investment–– do you all think it is going lower by a significant margin, or is now the time to get in and ride for awhile?  Thank you.

I have 141 shares of C...if the reverse split happens will I have 14.1 shares?..Read that will be a 10/1 split.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Jumped into some NVAX and FBC this past week. Plan to hold 6-12 months.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
bought MJNA two weeks ago at .04 a share, sold last Thursday for .205 per share.... I had 200K shares.

No shit!    

Damn.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit!    

Damn.....

Wow, I didnt even know that was a stock!
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Dumped some SLV.  Bought it 3 weeks ago at $40.  Meh.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Stopped out of SLV today for a 35% profit.  Not bad for two and a half months.  It'll probably bounce back up, but I've been getting iffy on it lately anyway, so I won't be buying back in unless there is a nice correction.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Starting to get in the market again

buying
GERN, ACTC and RPC

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Starting to get in the market again
buying
GERN, ACTC and RPC

I like the idea, and goals behind those companies, but man does that sound like some risky plays! Hopefully, they go your way, and you make a killin!!!

I've been busy the last few days, trying to make a buck on the silver pullback. I'm making some $$$, but for the most part, it's been like trying to stab a rabid cockroach with a toothpick! Seems like half the time If I buy an ETF and set a stop, no matter how loose,  I get stopped out $.002 before it goes my way, and if I don't set a stop, I immediately lose major $$$!

I don't usually dabble in commodities, but this has been an interesting week!
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Only 100 filled of AVL afterhours.

I'm sure I'm too early on buying oil, but that's OK.  

A lot of people probably already have margin calls, so we're still going lower, but it doesn't hurt to start buying some here.

05/05/11   Bought        100 of AVL @ $8.14  
05/05/11   Bought        100 of SD @ $10.21  
05/05/11   Bought        800 of TICC @ $10.8292  
05/05/11   Sold        -1000 of MFA @ $8.1106  
05/05/11   Bought        500 of SD @ $10.9494  
05/05/11   Sold        -1000 of MFA @ $8.13  
05/03/11   Bought        200 of TICC @ $11.16
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 3:28:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been busy the last few days, trying to make a buck on the silver pullback. I'm making some $$$, but for the most part, it's been like trying to stab a rabid cockroach with a toothpick! Seems like half the time If I buy an ETF and set a stop, no matter how loose,  I get stopped out $.002 before it goes my way, and if I don't set a stop, I immediately lose major $$$!

I don't usually dabble in commodities, but this has been an interesting week![/div]

Why not wait until it finds some solid ground and makes a turn upwards?  I got out as posted earlier, and not interested in it again until I see it.

I'm gonna do that to, but I wanted to catch some of the correction with short plays. So far, I've made a few thousand, and should lock in about $3000 more using ZSL, if we get the gap down today that I'm expecting. After I close this position, I'm done until I think it's bottomed.

I keep hearing projections of a bottom between $20 and $30/oz. When it was near $50, that was too much of an opportunity to pass up. Now that we're in the neighborhood, It's getting too risky for me!

I always like to leave some money on the table, and get out safe!
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Bump.  Anyone buying anything?  I've been mostly cash since late last month.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just small buys.  

These will make me $50-200 each, depending how long I hold them.

05/17/11   Bought        100 of SD @ $10.18
05/17/11   Bought        100 of RWT @ $15.10
05/17/11   Bought        100 of AVL @ $6.6492
05/16/11   Bought        100 of TICC @ $9.9699
05/11/11   Bought        200 of FSC @ $12.5192
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/22/2011 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Made $200 on a $250 investment with PCIO. It was at damn near rock bottom when I picked it up and went up 120% in a day. I just wish I had had more money to put into it but I was using the last of my tax return and just didnt have any more. I could have made a little more but I dont have the time to watch my stocks all day at work. That and Im new to brokerage and still testing the water. Still not a bad start.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just small buys.  

Looking at these now it doesn't look like you did too well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just small buys.  

I'm still buying all of them on the way down, plus some HIX and SLRC today after it went ex-div.  

TICC will pay me a $525 div at the end of June.

They all pay dividends except AVL and SD. I plan on holding those two for a few years, adding on pullbacks..

Jim

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just small buys.  

I'm still buying all of them on the way down, plus some HIX and SLRC today after it went ex-div.  

They all pay dividends except AVL and SD. I plan on holding those two for a few years, adding on pullbacks..

Jim

How the hell do you get a $525 dividend from a stock that you only put about $1000 into?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just small buys.  

Jim

How the hell do you get a $525 dividend from a stock that you only put about $1000 into?

I never said I only put $1000 into it.  I have 2100 shares.

I rarely buy all at once.

Jim

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top