Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
How does everyone feel about BRK-B?  I'm probably going to pick some up.  I am a little concerned about how much Berkshire will be affected by this years natural disasters though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How does everyone feel about BRK-B?  I'm probably going to pick some up.  I am a little concerned about how much Berkshire will be affected by this years natural disasters though.

I had shares pre-split and made money on it post split, but it doesn't trade very well.  

Just take a look at its chart.

Jim

Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
DHT.
i have picked up 8000 shares thus far.
considering getting a few thousand more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Lost some money on RPC.

Grabbed some CIM on the recent dip.

Loaded up on more GERN and ACTC on the recent dip.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Sino Clean Energy Inc. (SCEI), a CWSF company, looks to be climbing out of its toilet bowl.

The last week or two have been mostly low volume and bottomed out at 1.15-1.20 pps.  The past 2 days have been extremely high volume and moving on up.  The stock finished above it's 50 day MA yesterday and held today at about 2.05 pps.

Also, news was released today after the market close saying that SCEI is going to acquire Crown energy which already has a 60% stake in another CWSF company.

The pps for SCEI before the shorting scandal was 6-6.50.  Zacks currently has SCEI in an uptrend.

Get in while the gettin's good.

Just sayin'

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I sold 1/3 of my Sand Ridge (SD) holding yesterday into the run-up of the whole oil shale sector.

I should be able to buy it back next week after a pullback.

Sand Ridge is easily as $25 stock next year and could reach $35 if NAV continues to climb.

SD is my big move for this and next year.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#10]
You'll get another chance, there's more M&A activity to follow for the rest of 2011 in the shale biz, plus CHK is probably getting ready to go much higher on its own, anyway.

The only reason I sold any SD was the Petrohawk deal lifted all boats.  

Petrohawk and SD are similar companies, so the valuation placed on this acquisition points the way for SD, although SD carries more debt.

I expect SD to start moving up in Sept as SDT begins to pay a dividend.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I sold 1/3 of my Sand Ridge (SD) holding yesterday into the run-up of the whole oil shale sector.

I should be able to buy it back next week after a pullback.

Sand Ridge is easily as $25 stock next year and could reach $35 if NAV continues to climb.

SD is my big move for this and next year.

Jim

I should have sold CHK again Friday as it jumped on the Petrohawk sale.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Yikes, what a week!

I've been mostly cash for the last several days trying to pick a spot here and there, with limited success. The big question in my mind is, do you suppose anyone bothered to install a relief rally in this train wreck?!?!? I can't help but think, that tomorrow, or Monday at the latest we'll get at least a modest pop!

Whatcha think?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
DOG
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]
FCX
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Just bought SD on the 16% dip it just had.

We will see.

GERN man what a company, they are sitting on gold mine of stem cell patents, and their stock is tanking . Might be a good time to load on more.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just bought SD on the 16% dip it just had.

We will see.

GERN man what a company, they are sitting on gold mine of stem cell patents, and their stock is tanking . Might be a good time to load on more.

I added 400 to my SD position, 200 to HIX, 70 to SLRC. and 300 to TQNT.

I already had a big SD position, so today was a little painful when SD got a haircut.

I still think we're going lower, but we're close to the bottom.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#16]
So, whose still positive for the year?  I'm still up about 7%.  Was out of town and away from internet access for awhile, so I didn't get to shift things around when I wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Im way down... just made a little with SDOW.. but nothing to make up for the loss

Good job on being up by the way!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Sold close to half of my position in SKF at the end of the day for a nice gain. I thought we would get some capitulation today at some point, but not so.  We are oversold in my view, but the market should tell us when to jump back in. I'm watching closely this week and may end up selling the rest...

I'm holding onto EPV for now.

I took a nibble in SCEI today as it looks to be holding up.

I'm also waiting for DIG to bottom, but we broke through support around 40 today.  I'll jump back in at some point. I like to have at least a small position in this as crap in the ME can start at any time IMO. I also anticipate a production slowdown announcement.

Studying a few others right now too...
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
This thread has been cold for a while.  

I'm looking to jump back into AVL now that it's down to approx 4.50.  Does anyone expect to see AVL recover and get back up to the 8-9 range?

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#21]

It depends on your goals and time horizon.

If you have other stocks that are non speculative, than this is a good point to pick up some AVL.

If it's the only one you plan to buy, there's better stocks out there that actually have PEs and pay dividends in the 4% range to boot.

Sandridge (SD) is a better near term play that's improving it's cash flow each and every day.  While it doesn't pay a div, it's spinning off IPOs that do (SDT, PER).  

The parent (SD) is able to self finance expansion capital/pay down debt from these assets that unlock revenue.

Div stocks and funds I like are TICC, RWT, SLRC, HIX, FSC, HIO, MFA, WY, all of which got pounded on the pullback, so they're all buys.

I just picked 600 shares of TQNT up on todays downgrade and will pick another 400 up if it drops lower.

Tech has been pounded for a few months now.  SWKS, FFIV and TQNT are techs I like that that got pounded that should rise for the next six months.  

I'll hold TQNT until Jan-Feb and sell, taking advantage of the tech cycle.  

I've traded it three times in the last few weeks on volatility, and will enlarge my position as we enter Sept.

Quoted:

I'm looking to jump back into AVL now that it's down to approx 4.50.  Does anyone expect to see AVL recover and get back up to the 8-9 range?

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#22]

I have been watching TQNT as well. Any idea why it has tanked the last two days?
Quoted:

If you have other stocks that are non speculative, than this is a good point to pick up some AVL.

If it's the only one you plan to buy, there's better stocks out there that actually have PEs and pay dividends in the 4% range to boot.

Sandridge (SD) is a better near term play that's improving it's cash flow each and every day.  While it doesn't pay a div, it's spinning off IPOs that do (SDT, PER).  

The parent (SD) is able to self finance expansion capital/pay down debt from these assets that unlock revenue.

Div stocks and funds I like are TICC, RWT, SLRC, HIX, FSC, HIO, MFA, WY, all of which got pounded on the pullback, so they're all buys.

I just picked 600 shares of TQNT up on todays downgrade and will pick another 400 up if it drops lower.

Tech has been pounded for a few months now.  SWKS, FFIV and TQNT are techs I like that that got pounded that should rise for the next six months.  

I've traded it three times in the last few weeks on volatility, and will enlarge my position as we enter Sept.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have been watching TQNT as well. Any idea why it has tanked the last two days?

It's the tech cycle and this is the bottom, plus it's a broken market, not a broken stock.

SWKS has been hit the same as TQNT, but is the darling in this segment.

Compare both charts, they're identical, so that suggests it's the business they're in, not incompetent leadership or financials as both are profitable and in a growth area.

Both should start running towards the end of Sept.

Neither pays a dividend, so they like other well run tech, get shot in a turbulent market as investors seek safety.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#24]
MGI
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

SD has negative EPS
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm looking to buy HAL and HPQ in the near future after the downtrends stop.  
Page / 18
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top