Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2013 11:34:04 PM EDT
Hi,

I have a Thompson "Tommy Gun" pistol that I want a period correct muzzle break installed, as well as having the magazine latch modified to except unmodified U.S.G.I. 20/30rd magazines.

BTW, if I get the magazine latch modified, will the semi-auto 50rd drum that came with the pistol still work??

Also, there is a cosmetic issue in the magazine area that wasn't properly cleaned up during the milling process, so I would also like to get that taken care of as well.  Since it has the alloy receiver, I'm wanting it refinished in a flat/satin black duracoat type product.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello bergunx,

I suspect any competent gun smith in your area will be able to take care of this for you...milling on the latch to accept unmodified stick mags should not be a problem, and that change to the latch should not affect the insert of your drum magazine as it's primarily secured by the horizontal notches at the top of the magazine to match those in the receiver and the latch (I believe) should be a non-factor for securing the drum.  Addition of a period correct Cutts is a part that may be ordered from Khar Arms.

IMHO, if the barrel is already 16" long, I would also add a 1928 removable butt stock adapter to the lower frame should you wish to use it as a carbine.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure if you're interested in modifying the mag catch yourself, but...

In a previous thread, the magazine catch modification was discussed a bit.

Go to This Thread & scroll down to "brian45auto" post about taking a dremel to the mag catch.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hi,

I have a Thompson "Tommy Gun" pistol that I want a period correct muzzle break installed, as well as having the magazine latch modified to except unmodified U.S.G.I. 20/30rd magazines.

BTW, if I get the magazine latch modified, will the semi-auto 50rd drum that came with the pistol still work??

Also, there is a cosmetic issue in the magazine area that wasn't properly cleaned up during the milling process, so I would also like to get that taken care of as well.  Since it has the alloy receiver, I'm wanting it refinished in a flat/satin black duracoat type product.

Thanks!!

No, the stock drum will not work if you modify the mag release lever.  I know because I use to have the sbr version and wanted to use USGI mags.  The best way to solve your problem is to modify the USGI mags and that way you can use modern stock mags, drums, and USGI.  All that is required is to elongate the mag catch hole in the mag with a small file.  If your pistol is like the one in scuba_ed's avatar, then the front sight "is" correct and the Cutts Compensator was not used.  You normally found the Cutts on models that had the verticle grip.  When the Tommugun was manufactured for the military with the horizontal forend they eliminated the Cutts and the adjustable rear ladder sight.  If you want your pistol to look original then submit a Form1 to turn it into a short barrel rifle, remove the rear sight and install the flat peep sight blade, and add the stock adapter as all original Tommyguns had a stock that slid off at the will of the user.

JMHO,
MadDog
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Thanks!!

No, the stock drum will not work if you modify the mag release lever.  I know because I use to have the sbr version and wanted to use USGI mags.  The best way to solve your problem is to modify the USGI mags and that way you can use modern stock mags, drums, and USGI.  All that is required is to elongate the mag catch hole in the mag with a small file.  If your pistol is like the one in scuba_ed's avatar, then the front sight "is" correct and the Cutts Compensator was not used.  You normally found the Cutts on models that had the verticle grip.  When the Tommugun was manufactured for the military with the horizontal forend they eliminated the Cutts and the adjustable rear ladder sight.  If you want your pistol to look original then submit a Form1 to turn it into a short barrel rifle, remove the rear sight and install the flat peep sight blade, and add the stock adapter as all original Tommyguns had a stock that slid off at the will of the user.

JMHO,
MadDog

^^^^^^that is all completely false.
drums work with the modified mag release.
the military used many versions of the thompson, from the 1921/28 overstamps to m1928a1s to the final version, the m1a1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top