Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2011 8:31:07 AM EDT
I have a SCAR 16 that has less than 400 rounds through it.  While cleaning it, I noticed the bolt has some unusual wear / peening on the locking lugs.  Compared to a friend's SCAR that has well over 1000 rounds through it, I believe this wear is somewhat concerning.  Has anyone else seen or heard of problems like this?  Ammo used has been M193, magazines have been the issued FN and modified PMags.  

I called FN's service department and they instructed me to send it  back.  $46 in shipping later, I hope they fix it!  I really enjoy shooting this rifle!

My digital picture taking skills aren't the best.

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Yikes, hopefully they will knock the burs off the chamber and give you a new bolt
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you using PMAG's?
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you using PMAG's?

OP said he is using modified pmags.

Quoted:
I have a SCAR 16 that has less than 400 rounds through it.  While cleaning it, I noticed the bolt has some unusual wear / peening on the locking lugs.  Compared to a friend's SCAR that has well over 1000 rounds through it, I believe this wear is somewhat concerning.  Has anyone else seen or heard of problems like this?  Ammo used has been M193, magazines have been the issued FN and modified PMags.  

I called FN's service department and they instructed me to send it  back.  $46 in shipping later, I hope they fix it!  I really enjoy shooting this rifle!

My digital picture taking skills aren't the best.

/snip

Link Posted: 11/27/2011 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you relieved the PMAG's enough. Not enough material removed still causes the bolt release to rise, especially if firing in prone with mags resting on the ground.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
As already suggested, check ALL your mags to insure the LRBHO catch is not hitting your mags.  Most of my mags (yes, milspec mags as well) needed a little filing or tweaking.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I modified all my PMags and rechecked all of them.  There is no wear at all on my bolt hold open device.  Here is a picture of my BHO.  As yo can see it still looks like it's out of the box from the factory.  (These pictures are from my PMag modification thread)

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My bolt was hitting the r.h. rear of the PMag, and as a matter of fact, I can see where yours is hitting also. Take the PMag apart and install it in your SCAR and while putting pressure on the mag up, then work the bolt. You can feel it hit. If it doesn't hit, try pressure up and to the left, work the bolt, then up and to the right, work the bolt. You get the idea. Use a felt tip marker all around the rear of the feed lips and the lips themselves. I finally went back to G.I. mags, and all my bolt wear stopped.
Edit to add that I am saddened that mine does not like the Pmags, as they are great for everything else I shoot. When I get the time I am going to work my PMags on the r.h. side one by one until they are all good to go.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could try that, but my rifle is on its way back or is at the factory.  That's interesting.  When I get it back I'll give it a try.  Was your bolt getting the same type of impact wear?
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
$46 bucks to send a bolt back?
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
$46 bucks to send a bolt back?

No, they wanted the whole rifle.  I'd imagine they want to see what the bolt is hitting and to see if something is out of specification.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you sent them a P Mag with it?
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I called FN's service department and they instructed me to send it back. $46 in shipping later.

That's odd. When I returned my SCAR earlier this year, FN sent me a prepaid shipping label.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I called FN's service department and they instructed me to send it back. $46 in shipping later.

That's odd. When I returned my SCAR earlier this year, FN sent me a prepaid shipping label.

That's par for the course.  That's usually the way things work for me!
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you sent them a P Mag with it?

No I didn't.  I rarely used Pmags with this rifle.  But I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I never used one in the rifle.  I used maybe 5 or 7 Pmags in it, as in 5 to 7 times Pmags have been inserted and shot out of the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ever since Bob Ailes "left", FNH customer service has been far less than stellar, Sigs might actually be better now.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, the same bolt wear, but much more pronounced than yours. As the wear is in the front of the bolt, I don't see where this will harm anything.  So long as the lugs lock evenly on the back everything should be ok. I polished the metal that was raised up, down, switched mags to G.I. with the Magpul follower and all has been well for 600+ rounds so far. One more thing to keep in mind. plastic feed lips have little friction, and don't resist the cartridge as it is pushed out of the mag. In other words, the bolt is not slowed down near as much with a Magpul as it is with a mag with steel or aluminum  lips, so bolt speed is up. I run mine with M193 5.56, and I run it on the suppressor gas adjustment, so this keeps the bolt speed down. With Russian or .223, then I set the gas knob straight up, as it is not very powerful ammo.  FN absolutely has to set the gas system so that these rifles will use any of the most common ammunition, so I expect they are a little over gassed on purpose. With a military only rifle, it is much easier to set the gas jet size, as only 5.56 eq. ammo will be used.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Just an update to this old thread.  Initially FN replaced my bolt and carrier.  When they retested the rifle something was obviously wrong.  They ended up replacing the whole rifle.  So after about 3 months I got a new rifle.  

I hope I don't have any problems with this one!

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Well cool, I guess in the end that's not bad service.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well cool, I guess in the end that's not bad service.

Yeah, I have to admit, I was a little upset that my SCAR was messed up, considering what you pay for them, but in the end they made things right.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Good for you that you got a new rifle instead of the old "send it back 3-4 times" mess.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm glad I saw this thread recently after getting my SCAR. Checked my PMAGs (after firing maybe 60rds through it) and saw the same issue with the bolt catch. USGI for my SCAR from now on, since I don't feel like modding my PMAGs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Modding a PMag takes all of about 15-30 seconds.  I wouldn't let it stop you from using them.  I've had no issues with my second SCAR and PMags.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Modding a PMag takes all of about 15-30 seconds.  I wouldn't let it stop you from using them.  I've had no issues with my second SCAR and PMags.  

I understand that. I've got plenty of both, so I'll just be dedicating the USGIs to the SCAR for now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#24]
The bolt lug hitting the extension on the way in could be a sign of an improperly installed barrel.

Have you ever removed your barrel ? Do you have a torque wrench? 62 inch-pounds on all 6 bolts.

More than a few mk16s had barrels installed improperly right from FN. They were just screwed on without proper or equal torque.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The bolt lug hitting the extension on the way in could be a sign of an improperly installed barrel.

Have you ever removed your barrel ? Do you have a torque wrench? 62 inch-pounds on all 6 bolts.

More than a few mk16s had barrels installed improperly right from FN. They were just screwed on without proper or equal torque.
The first time I had removed my barrel is when I took it apart to send back to the factory.  The one thing I know is they initially replaced the bolt / bolt carrier assembly.  When It went for test firing it failed.  After that they replaced the whole gun.  I'm guessing it had something to do with the upper receiver.  

I know another member, JoeCoastie in this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/368870_Overgassed_SCAR_.html  more than likely had to remove his barrel to get it shortened.  I feel bad for the guy after spending all that time and money to SBR his rifle, the rifle is beating its self up!

Link Posted: 4/20/2012 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first time I had removed my barrel is when I took it apart to send back to the factory. The one thing I know is they initially replaced the bolt / bolt carrier assembly. When It went for test firing it failed. After that they replaced the whole gun. I'm guessing it had something to do with the upper receiver.

I know another member, JoeCoastie in this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/368870_Overgassed_SCAR_.html more than likely had to remove his barrel to get it shortened. I feel bad for the guy after spending all that time and money to SBR his rifle, the rifle is beating its self up!

Yeah, I had to take the bbl off and yes, I torqued it back down correctly. I have 500 M855 bullets coming my way, I'll have them loaded up before next weekend hopefully. I'm going to take before and after pics to make sure it's not beating itself to death in suppressed or unsuppressed settings.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first time I had removed my barrel is when I took it apart to send back to the factory. The one thing I know is they initially replaced the bolt / bolt carrier assembly. When It went for test firing it failed. After that they replaced the whole gun. I'm guessing it had something to do with the upper receiver.

I know another member, JoeCoastie in this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_24/368870_Overgassed_SCAR_.html more than likely had to remove his barrel to get it shortened. I feel bad for the guy after spending all that time and money to SBR his rifle, the rifle is beating its self up!

Yeah, I had to take the bbl off and yes, I torqued it back down correctly. I have 500 M855 bullets coming my way, I'll have them loaded up before next weekend hopefully. I'm going to take before and after pics to make sure it's not beating itself to death in suppressed or unsuppressed settings.

So if you have a problem like this they don't pay return shipping?  I'm considering a 17, but I won't get one if they don't cover shipping on returns.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if you have a problem like this they don't pay return shipping?  I'm considering a 17, but I won't get one if they don't cover shipping on returns.  

You would think they would. Doesn't matter in my case though. The kicker in mine is that I have another 400 invested in a relatively stock gun because it's not an NFA item. They aint gonna pay for another tax stamp or waiting 3 months.

Link Posted: 6/11/2012 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, here I go again.  I'm sending my second SCAR back to the factory -
the SCAR that replaced the one that was beating the bolt up pretty
good.  This time?  The top rail will not securely lock my Aimpoint /
LaRue mount.  Even with the adjustment nut tightened to the point that
the lever could not be opened, there is still fore and aft movement of
the mount.  It would be easy to blame the mount, but It works on another
SCAR, 2 Colts and 2 KAC rails.  I even tried it on all surfaces of the
rails and SCARS.  The mount locks up tightly on 17 of the 18 surfaces
tried.  The one surface it didn't was my SCARS top rail - the one that
matters.   I also tried 2 additional LaRue optic mounts on my SCAR's top
rail.  They would not lock up.  I visually compared my SCAR to another
SCAR 16, there was a visible difference in the rail.  LaRue, Colt and
KAC make quality products (as I think FN does), so I'm going to go with
the theory that I got 2 Friday afternoon rifles.

Luckily, this time FN is picking up the shipping.  That will save me another $46.  

Even though I'm pretty discouraged at getting two defective rifles, I
have to commend FN's customer service.  So far they treated me right.  
They seem to be very courteous and helpful people and want the customer
to be satisfied.

Right now the FN Kool Aid isn't tasting the greatest.  I'm hoping they'll make it right!

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#30]
It sucks that you got two lemons, but I will choose the SCAR on 10 out of 10 opportunities.  I have a 16 and a 17 and both are my favorites.  I hardly ever shoot my AR's anymore...

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It sucks that you got two lemons, but I will choose the SCAR on 10 out of 10 opportunities.  I have a 16 and a 17 and both are my favorites.  I hardly ever shoot my AR's anymore...

Yeah, it does suck.  However it's been giving me plenty of opportunity to get antiquated with my old work rifle  (Colt 6720) and my other ARs!  

I do know this, I prefer the SCAR's ambidextrous controls and in general, manual of arms.  Which is saying something, I've been carrying ARs/M16s for 29 years!

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#32]
2 scar16s and both the same edges - seems to be a wear issue but there are no problems associated with it as of now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
2 scar16s and both the same edges - seems to be a wear issue but there are no problems associated with it as of now.

The only thing is, FN replaced the rifle(s) with these wear problems.  When you pay over 2K for a rifle it should not have excessive wear in the first few hundred rounds.  I believe the wear is from excessive tolerance in the upper receiver's rails for the bolt carrier.  Upward pressure from the top round in the magazine on the bottom of the carrier causes subsequently causes the locking lugs to impact the barrel extension.

My second SCAR did not do this and I was pleased with it until I mounted an Aimpoint on the rail and the rail would not secure the Larue mount.    The rail was way out of specification.  I'm still waiting for my 3rd rifle.  Nearly 11 months of owning a SCAR and they've been back at the factory for 6 months.  
I was planning on picking up a SCAR 17 and FNP45, as I really like the FN design features.  I really don't think I will now.  In my experience their QC leaves a lot ot be desired and their customer service, while it has been great, it's very slow.  
EDITED: It was early.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing is, FN replaced the rifle(s) with these wear problems.  When you pay over 2K for a rifle it should have wear in the first few hundred rounds. I believe the wear is from excessive tolerance in the upper receiver's rails for the bolt carrier.  Upward pressure from the top round in the magazine on the bottom of the carrier causes subsequently causes the locking lugs to impact the barrel extension.  

My second SCAR did not do this and I was pleased with it until I mounted an Aimpoint on the rail and the rail would not secure the Larue mount.    The rail was way out of specification.  I'm still waiting for my 3rd rifle.  Nearly 11 months of owning a SCAR and they've been back at the factory for 6 months.  

I was planning on picking up a SCAR 17 and FNP45, as I really like the FN design features.  I really don't think I will now.  In my experience their QC leaves a lot ot be desired and their customer service, while it has been great, it's very slow.  

I assume yopu mean should not....  however, I do want to take slight issue witht hat statement.  I expect to see some wear in the first few hundred rounds.  Machines develop lap wear and that's not a bad thing so long as it doesn;t negatively affect performance.  It's the machine tolerances working themselves out.  However, after the initial lap wear, I expect the wear to stabilize and slow considerably.  FWIW, my scar developed a small burr on one lug after a few hundred rounds.  Now, a few thousand rounds later, the burr is gone and the gun looks pretty much like it has for a couple thousand rounds.  

Sounds like you DID have an issue of course (and the out of spec rail is just IMO, but give the gun a good chance.  You'll love it!
Link Posted: 8/8/2012 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I assume yopu mean should not....  however, I do want to take slight issue witht hat statement.  I expect to see some wear in the first few hundred rounds.  Machines develop lap wear and that's not a bad thing so long as it doesn;t negatively affect performance.  It's the machine tolerances working themselves out.  However, after the initial lap wear, I expect the wear to stabilize and slow considerably.  FWIW, my scar developed a small burr on one lug after a few hundred rounds.  Now, a few thousand rounds later, the burr is gone and the gun looks pretty much like it has for a couple thousand rounds.  

Sounds like you DID have an issue of course (and the out of spec rail is just IMO, but give the gun a good chance.  You'll love it!
Yes I stand corrected, I meant not!

I agree, there will be some breaking in of any new machine.  I think when my bolt looked like this after about 400 rounds, it's a bit more than breaking in wear.

Believe me, I like the idea of the SCAR, and I've shot co worker's SCARS that have been perfect.  I actually shot them quite a bit.  I liked them so much, that's why I got one.  I guess I'm just jacked because I got two POS rifles in a row.  My accuaintances / co workers SCARs were earlier guns.  Maybe FN's QC is going down the shitter to keep up with demand?  Maybe I'm just that unlucky when it comes to FNs?  

In a few days this is what my SCARs have looked like for 6 out of the last 11 months.  

So much for using my SCAR as my 3 gun rifle this season.    My 6720 just keeps chugging along.

Link Posted: 8/8/2012 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I stand corrected, I meant not!

I agree, there will be some breaking in of any new machine.  I think when my bolt looked like this after about 400 rounds, it's a bit more than breaking in wear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/schenninge/GUN%20STUFF/SCAR2.jpg

Believe me, I like the idea of the SCAR, and I've shot co worker's SCARS that have been perfect.  I actually shot them quite a bit.  I liked them so much, that's why I got one.  I guess I'm just jacked because I got two POS rifles in a row.  My accuaintances / co workers SCARs were earlier guns.  Maybe FN's QC is going down the shitter to keep up with demand?  Maybe I'm just that unlucky when it comes to FNs?  

In a few days this is what my SCARs have looked like for 6 out of the last 11 months.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/schenninge/GUN%20STUFF/SCARNumber3.jpg

So much for using my SCAR as my 3 gun rifle this season.    My 6720 just keeps chugging along.

I agree that the wear is excessive on your bolt.  Apparently so did FNH!!  Hopefully, they get you sorted out to your satisfaction.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 4:15:06 AM EDT
[#37]
My first 16S had similar wear.

I owned it for about 4 months, shot around 1.5K out of it with similar bolt wear present. It was a sponsor gun, the store it came from had already used it in 3 gun before I got it.  They ran approx. 3,500 through  it.  

I sold the rifle back to them, they're pushing 13K right now and they claim that nothing has been replaced, and the last time I saw it the bolt wear is still present.

My current 16S has approx. 550 rounds through it and NO SIGN of wear anywhere on the bolt.

It's because I don't use P-mags.

Those shitty magazines have caused me nothing but grief when used in anything but an AR-15. I learned my lesson early on and tossed the junk after my Aussie leader, and ARM pistol started showing wear that previously didn't exist.

Talk them up all you want, they're great for an AR-15. For anything else GI mags are the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

My first 16S had similar wear.

I owned it for about 4 months, shot around 1.5K out of it with similar bolt wear present. It was a sponsor gun, the store it came from had already used it in 3 gun before I got it.  They ran approx. 3,500 through  it.  

I sold the rifle back to them, they're pushing 13K right now and they claim that nothing has been replaced, and the last time I saw it the bolt wear is still present.

My current 16S has approx. 550 rounds through it and NO SIGN of wear anywhere on the bolt.

It's because I don't use P-mags.

Those shitty magazines have caused me nothing but grief when used in anything but an AR-15. I learned my lesson early on and tossed the junk after my Aussie leader, and ARM pistol started showing wear that previously didn't exist.

Talk them up all you want, they're great for an AR-15. For anything else GI mags are the way to go.

In my first SCAR I only fired, literally a hand full of rounds out of a modified PMag.  I noted that with the FN or a issue Colt magazine inserted the bolt would impact with the barrel extension.  If I remember correctly my initial rifle only had around 400 rounds through it.  I only used a PMag after the damage started.  

In my specific incident, I don't think the magazines were a factor.  Either the upper (most likely) was out of specification or the carrier.  I'm going with the receiver, because FN initially replaced the carrier at the factory.  During their testing before shipping it back to me, the rifle failed.  The rifle was subsequently replaced with a new rifle.  -  The one with the out of specification top rail that would not securely hold an optic mount.   I really wish I would have spend my money on a LWRC or LaRue rifle.  My experience with FN's QC for >>ME<< has been pretty poor.  Although their customer service is adequate, I've now been an owner of a SCAR for 11 months and the rifle(s) have spent 6 months and counting, back at the factory.  I still haven't received my SECOND replacement rifle.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Just a short update.  I got my replacement rifle yesterday, mounted a Surefire suppressor mount on it and let the Rocksett dry.  Today I went out back and hit the range.  She's a shooter and appears to be a very good quality rifle!  FN made things right!

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#40]
FDE stock latch?  Interesting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

FDE stock latch?  Interesting.

Yes, that's the way it came.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Glad you got it worked out!!

I really wish FN would get it together and just durakote the entire gun one color. the 5 different colors just kills it for me and that's why mine is black.

On a different note, I took mine out today as well. I had shortened the bbl to 10.5 and it seemed to just be recoiling ridiculously hard compared to what it felt like w/ the 16in bbl.  I switched the gas screw to 1.7 and it ran like a top, suppressed and none.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I really like the multi colors.  I want a black one just so I won't feel guilty about painting it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Glad you got it worked out!!

I really wish FN would get it together and just durakote the entire gun one color. the 5 different colors just kills it for me and that's why mine is black.

On a different note, I took mine out today as well. I had shortened the bbl to 10.5 and it seemed to just be recoiling ridiculously hard compared to what it felt like w/ the 16in bbl.  I switched the gas screw to 1.7 and it ran like a top, suppressed and none.  

I like that's it's multi colored.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#45]
That sucks bro. I have used unmodified Pmags in my rifle. However after this thread I wont anymore since the bolt catch doenst retract as far into the lower as with USGI mags. I have a few dozen of the USGI's and only 7 Pmags. Beside the Pmags dont drop free as quickly as the USGI aluminum ones do so I'll probably stick to those or HK high reliability ones as they eject with even more force when I push the mag release and whip the rifle to the left the eject the mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top