Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2022 1:01:23 AM EDT
ETA:

9mm end cap on 9mm hosts

Thankfully  NO BAFFLE  STRIKES

I got it out of jail last month.

The first time I shot it on a AR-9 with the tri lug. Foxtrot Mike upper with tri lug barrel
Hit #1.

Last weekend Ishot it on my Barretta 92.
Hit #2

Today shooting it on my FN 509.
Hit # 3

I have shot my DeadAir Wolfman on the same hosts using the type of mounts.

Do I need to send this can back to Rugged?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

EDIT: To clean up post
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. I've shot mine on a UMP 3 lug, Scorpion 3 lug, and a bunch of pistols. The 45 3 lug mount is from SiCo.  I'd definitely get in touch with Rugged.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That can, specifically those baffles, are toast.  Definitely send back.  They may have some questions though but hopefully they make it right.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That can, specifically those baffles, are toast.  Definitely send back.  They may have some questions though but hopefully they make it right.
View Quote

From the pictures, the baffles appear to be fine, I only see endcap strikes.

OP, I’ve seen similar endcap strikes with other 1/2 x 28 mounts due to the suppressor coming loose after longish strings of fire. I tend to run a little dab of Loc-tite on my threaded pistol mounts for that very reason. Not sure about the tri-lug, that should be a solid mount unless there is a concentricity issue with the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Your front cap strikes are all skewed to one side. That might indicate a mounting concentricity issue.  A gauge rod might show that.   You can put a tape “witness” barrier inside your .45 front cap and see if the 9mm strikes that pass through the tape on each host are offset similarly. One shot per tape wipe.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have nothing to add but I’m hoping to get mine out of jail any time now.

Before you shot with the suppressor did you check the alignment in any way?

A lot of people don’t use alignment today and just visually look down the bore but I consider it cheap insurance. Obviously it doesn’t matter if the can comes loose.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks for doing the google leg work. I was trying to find @1911XDM Threads on this issue.

After reading those threads i see two common issues.

1: Make sure the Piston and the tri lug are lubed up real good

2: Don't shoot the Obsidian 45 with a 9mm endcap

I also need to get a 9mm guide rod
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have nothing to add but I’m hoping to get mine out of jail any time now.

Before you shot with the suppressor did you check the alignment in any way?

A lot of people don’t use alignment today and just visually look down the bore but I consider it cheap insurance. Obviously it doesn’t matter if the can comes loose.
View Quote

No I dint because iv had zero issues with the DA Wolfman..

I have learned a lesson

I forsure make sure my New Nomad was concentric with the barrel

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it’s just an issue with Rugged’s can and the 9mm end cap. I have the Obsidian 9 and had an end cap strike. A simple email and they took care of it immediately. Now on the same hosts, I’ve shot my multiple cans on and never had any issues.

I don’t know what it is, but it seems to happen a lot with the Obsidian. I will say, I’ve been shooting my Obsidian 9 in short config a lot on my SP5 without issue.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if there is a 3d file for a endcap?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
There has to be something up with the can itself considering two hosts use pistons and one uses a fixed mount but you have strikes on all of them.  

I've had my Obsidian 45 for some time now and had no issues with it on different handguns and on my PCC.   Many thousands of rounds of different 9mm and 45 loads have gone through it.

I do not have a 9mm cap.  I know I would have left it on when going to a 45 host.  I'm not so smart.

From the looks of it, you would have had those strikes even with the 45 cap on.

Really seems like you got the short straw.  Thankfully Rugged is known for their warranty.

I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a Rugged issue and well known at this point. Rugged has a great warranty but this just keeps happening. Seems odd they don't redesign it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a Rugged issue and well known at this point. Rugged has a great warranty but this just keeps happening. Seems odd they don't redesign it.
View Quote

Other that that massive thread i saw on here (and the ones linked above). Is there any other supporting info, or it just all the threads linked?

Glad to hear rugged has a good warranty, but it's it is a known problem they should probably do something about it sooner than later.

Edit:
I just clicked that reddit link and there's a picture with 23 end cap strikes in one. Holy crap. Id say that be an issue!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Other that that massive thread i saw on here (and the ones linked above). Is there any other supporting info, or it just all the threads linked?

Glad to hear rugged has a good warranty, but it's it is a known problem they should probably do something about it sooner than later.

Edit:
I just clicked that reddit link and there's a picture with 23 end cap strikes in one. Holy crap. Id say that be an issue!
View Quote

Pretty sure they say to use the 45 end cap.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Edit:
View Quote

@MalliekGirl
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never had a endcap strike myself, but reports of them pop up on reddit every month or so and they almost all involve someone using Obsidian9 or an Obsidian45 with 9mm endcap. I would have to dig around Reddit to find it, but one of their users posted pics of him using calipers to measure multiple companies 9mm endcaps and found Rugged to be the tightest by far. Given that, it would take very little user error to cause a baffle strike on a Rugged 9mm endcap.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
This seems familiar, didn't the other guy have a Calvin avatar too? Weird.

Seems like he dropped off after his Rugged "resolution".
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#18]
That thread was archived and you can't see the users. That user was out of Utah. I remember it vividly .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top